Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

SomethingJones posted:

No kidding, this is the most amount of bullshit inside the shortest space of time that this project has generated to date.

After reading that whole transcription I can totally understand how Elite: Dangerous' implementation of landing, "air traffic controllers", hangars, and so on is absolutely bullshit and bad and everyone should murder everyone who ever had a hand in the making of Elite: Dangerous, because it is clearly a vastly inferior game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

morale looking good

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Latin Pheonix posted:

Just watching the latest ATV and they're making such a massive deal about programming their ATC. Now I'm not a fancy-pants game developer so I have no idea how it works, but surely you could just have a simple queue? For example, if you have 3 landing pads and all 3 are filled then just inform the 4th spaceship to wait until one of the ships has despawned from the pad, and if that 4th ship leaves then move the 5th ship waiting up a spot. I can't imagine this would be as difficult to develop as they're making it out to be.

Am I being dense? Is it way more complicated?

No, its not more complicated.

You literally could just get the same system E:D has in place and no one would be the wiser.

-You have to be within X distance to request landing spot
-NPC acknowledges request, checks database for open spot
-If spot open, assign spot and start countdown for player/npc to park
-If spot not open, deny request, play "All our hangars are full at the moment" line
-Repeat

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

Maw posted:

Ahaha, 'I'm gonna go to my personal hanger and then blast off into space'

Oh, buddy :(

I actually felt sorry for him after ten minutes in The Hangar.

Then I got over it, and wanted him to pledge $15,000 for a Completionist.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Baxta posted:

So they have figured out what a collection is (landing pads), how to use collision detection to call a method (proximity warnings), the await keyword and task class. Great job CIG. My first year uni prof might have given you a C.

Lol. Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. Their deliverable is still MIA.
My first year uni professor would get a note from them, a year later, begging for a 2 weeks extension on a homework due a year ago.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Mr Fronts posted:

There's furries on the starboard bow!

That's port, dummy.

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

Mere minutes after discovering the new technology, it was used to send me a crude ASCII dong.

Mr Fronts posted:

I actually felt sorry for him after ten minutes in The Hangar.

Then I got over it, and wanted him to pledge $15,000 for a Completionist.

I'm still watching him fail to realise you can'ttake off right now. It's delicious and painful at the same time.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Mr.Tophat posted:

Can anyone recommend me a podcast or stand up comedy I can listen to while refactoring my home? I need to listen to something to get poo poo done and I'm running out of material.

WTF with Marc Maron.

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

peter gabriel posted:

This is what the first hour is like, what this video doesn't show is the slow realisation that the first hour is all the game

Watching a few of your epic vids would have steered him down the right path pgabz

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

Mere minutes after discovering the new technology, it was used to send me a crude ASCII dong.

Dooguk posted:

Watching a few of your epic vids would have steered him down the right path pgabz

if he wanted to become an angry config-hacking goony goon, sure :argh:

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

these loss edits keep getting weirder

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

lol

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

SomethingJones posted:

LA Directors Leads Meeting

Erin Roberts:
Please, just be careful of what you're checking in, don't just get on, on Friday night, check something in and go home... that's for your own... I'm not having a go at U.S., but also just sort of take care, make sure you get, you know CHECKED and so forth and things cos that costs us more time than anything when basically the build BREAKS and then we gotta (inaudible)... you know it kills you HERE, it kills us in the UK, you know we come in in the morning and we've got 4 hours at LEAST before we have to find the big fix and then by the time of the end of the day we've got a build and... so we need to make sure that everyone is being really CAREFUL when doing that stuff and I'd rather everyone took an EXTRA HOUR and make sure the BUG'S FIXED and then um, then try and rush on to the next one.

I'm just going to comment here that there is absolutely no loving way they have been seriously developing a game even for just a year and this is the first time they are having this discussion.

They have literally just started trying to seriously develop something. And their inexperience with any tools that could assist them shows a lot.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

Mr Fronts posted:

There's furries on the starboard bow!

That video was both hilarious and painful. Even better with Chris's supposed outrage to find out video he did had been spliced that way.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Esposito posted:

Are they saying JIRA?

[edit] I think they are saying JIRA, the issue-tracking platform.

Yep, and it's kinda amusing because;

"...basically the idea is to get Jira right, get Jira used properly..."

...means that they're struggling with agile development and probably don't have a decent scrummaster/project manager who's pulling this poo poo together. Jira as bug tracker is probably just a bit more complex than Mantis, but it's when you start loving with the extended Atlassian family that shits starts getting weird.

Personally I prefer a scrum that uses post-its, because the jira version doesn't loving scan. Hell, even Trello blows it out of the water.

SomethingJones posted:

Flight Ops California Dude AI:
Hey there! On behalf of the People's Alliance, WELCOOOOME to Levksi! The name's (inaudible), I run the hangars here which is GREAT for you 'cos you're prob'ly lookin' to land!

Imagine hearing that for the fifteenth time. So they're directly cribbing from Elite now?

Mr Fronts posted:

CIG invents the peer review.

More importantly, they're not branching and are apparently checking in code that's unstable to the main working branch. I think I need to rescind my argument on their scrum problems and devolve it down to 'having problems working as a team'.

Amusingly, it also appears that they're not building tests around the fixes with the concept that they're fixing a bug incompletely and moving on; the illusion of speed rather than actual speed, because the lorry in front is load shedding.

Hav fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Sep 22, 2017

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

zcrow posted:

The fun part is E:D have different voices depending on the station and affiliation and say the first three letters of your name and ship manufacturer when you request docking. I never needed any more than that to feel immersed.

Oh I don't know. The whole “we've lost you on scope… are you ok, CMDR?” bit when you go cold because you're trying to sneak in without being scanned is pretty great for immersion too. :haw:

Also, all you ever need to know about ATC in a multiplayer environment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPNN8w2XlwY

e: wtfspelling

Tippis fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Sep 22, 2017

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Taintrunner posted:

Wow, so Star Citizen is going to be the Dark Souls of EVE Online?! Where do I sign up?

How does that even fit ? The first one expect you to die a lot to learn the enemy mechanics and the other one punish you heavily on death.

Might as well play a DOS text game.

code:
Thank you for playing Starcitizen

You wake up in a wank pod. You can go (N)orth  or (E)ast

Go E

You go east. You walk trough the floor and die. gently caress you. 

c:\

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Wow, a coherent Cymelion post.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

aleksendr posted:

How does that even fit ? The first one expect you to die a lot to learn the enemy mechanics and the other one punish you heavily on death.

Might as well play a DOS text game.

code:
Thank you for playing Starcitizen

You wake up in a wank pod. You can go (N)orth  or (E)ast

Go E

You go east. You walk trough the floor and die<error: could not load death.dll, quitting>

c:\

Made your scenario a bit more fidelitous.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice

Tippis posted:

Oh I don't know. The whole “we've lost you on scope… are you ok, CMDR?” bit when you go god because you're trying to sneak in without being scanned is pretty great for immersion too. :haw:

Also, all you ever need to know about ATC in a multiplayer environment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPNN8w2XlwY

They actually do stuff like that? Neat.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Hobold posted:

They actually do stuff like that? Neat.

It's a late(r) addition, but yes, they now acknowledge that you're not making a regular approach. Nothing happens gameplay- or mechanics-wise but it's a nice touch anyway.

Also, spelling is apparently hard.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice
Still an awesome touch, and nod to how people actually play the game.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Wait, there is another way to avoid beeing scanned than going into the mailslot full (after)burn?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

You know I work for a multi billion a year game company, and even we do not overspend like this on loving funiture or lesiure equipment.

Why do I think that pool table is going to be a future high auction bid item.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Cygmelon has the right general idea, but is incapable of expressing it appropriately. Shocking.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

tuo posted:

Wait, there is another way to avoid beeing scanned than going into the mailslot full (after)burn?

There is always silent running but I go FULL BURN 100% of the time

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Title 'Contemplating Telling Chris'

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

tuo posted:

Nope. Definitely not. Keep doing what you're doing. All other ways are heresy and stupid.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

happyhippy posted:

Title 'Contemplating Telling Chris monster.com'

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

I like how it lacks all the markings you need to actually play the game. Fidelity over gameplay I guess....

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

Tippis posted:

Made your scenario a bit more fidelitous.

True fidelity means hex editing that error message to "Thank you for playing Star Citizen!"

E: Swedish Catte Tax

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Remember when they showed a pool table in some bullshot make up and people were pissing themselves over the ability to play it ingame.

I would love to see the physic grid within a physic grid within a physic grid within a physic grid play pool.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

peter gabriel posted:

Whenever i try FULL BURN it turn into FULL BURN CLANG one time out of two. I much prefer silent running.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

peter gabriel posted:

Ah...I see......no, I'll stick to full burn until I have time to read up on this silent running thing I successfully avoided until now....since I don't smuggle and only need it for shady passengers so always am in a rather fast ship (for the job) at the moment...

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

SomethingJones posted:

Erin Roberts:
Please, just be careful of what you're checking in, don't just get on, on Friday night, check something in and go home... that's for your own... I'm not having a go at U.S., but also just sort of take care, make sure you get, you know CHECKED and so forth and things cos that costs us more time than anything when basically the build BREAKS and then we gotta (inaudible)... you know it kills you HERE, it kills us in the UK, you know we come in in the morning and we've got 4 hours at LEAST before we have to find the big fix and then by the time of the end of the day we've got a build and... so we need to make sure that everyone is being really CAREFUL when doing that stuff and I'd rather everyone took an EXTRA HOUR and make sure the BUG'S FIXED and then um, then try and rush on to the next one.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

tuo posted:

I like how it lacks all the markings you need to actually play the game. Fidelity over gameplay I guess....

what markings do you need to play pool?

lol nevermind, I noticed it doesn't even have dots on the rails

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's almost as if programming isn't an assembly-line process. Huh. Strange.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

big nipples big life posted:

what markings do you need to play pool?

lol nevermind, I noticed it doesn't even have dots on the rails

To be fair, the markings are normally applied after the cloth is adjusted. So I guess they just wanted to post a cool twitter pic before everything was setup, but still, it sums up Star Citizen perfectly. Game mechanics? gently caress that, it has to look good first and foremost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

My wife is a programmer on a globally-distributed project team. Every morning when she gets into work her favourite game starts: "What the gently caress have the Indians done now?" as they tend to get a little fast & loose with their commits & such when they're the only ones awake & coding.