Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Obligatum VII posted:

Smite is a machine and it is unfair to compare normal humans to him.

Yeah, him and A Raving Loon are psychopaths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Nidoking posted:

Ah, of course. "It works for me, therefore any other life choices are wrong and you should feel bad about making them." This is a very productive thought that helps people and builds a better society, and not at all a means of attacking people who may already feel ashamed of doing perfectly acceptable things.

Nidoking posted:

You just hate the idea of people making money and having fun at the same time, don't you?

:ironicat:

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
I'm going to assume from the text of your emoticon that you feel there's some irony in juxtaposing those two statements. Sadly, your picture is not suggesting the thousand words that would explain to me why that is.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
How does streaming games for a living affect your physical well-being? At my job we do pushups and junk in between working to prevent health risks from sitting down all day.

What I'm saying is do streamers get bed sores on their butts???

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Putty posted:

How does streaming games for a living affect your physical well-being? At my job we do pushups and junk in between working to prevent health risks from sitting down all day.

What I'm saying is do streamers get bed sores on their butts???

Those silly racing car desk chairs protect them from that, duh

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
lemme break it down for you john madden style

Nidoking posted:

Ah, of course. "It works for me, therefore any other life choices are wrong and you should feel bad about making them." This is a very productive thought that helps people and builds a better society, and not at all a means of attacking people who may already feel ashamed of doing perfectly acceptable things.

ok this is a good play, powerful defensive technique. state that the attitudes of your opposition do not contribute anything at all, by strawmanning all people who stream video games for a living as lazy bums these people are not contributing to helping people and building a better society. the civil rights activists of the 1960s, people who volunteer their time and money to helping the less fortunate in 3rd world countries, people who give $20 to xxxPacManYellowFeverxxx on Twitch so he'll read their messages out loud, all working hand in hand to make the world a better place. Powerful statement, 10/10

Nidoking posted:

You just hate the idea of people making money and having fun at the same time, don't you?

here's where you turn the gun on yourself, then you strawman everyone who has a problem with the charitable work these streamers do as "hating the idea of people making money and having fun", which is just ridiculous. How can you blame these people for strawmanning your POV with a ridiculous view then go right back around and do the same thing? for shame

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Wait are we still talking about loud notifications anymore?

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

Golden Goat posted:

Wait are we still talking about loud notifications anymore?

I'm doing circles around you in my l33t gamer chair with nitro boosters. Getting all the gamer dust in your face, ALL the dust.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Putty posted:

I'm doing circles around you in my l33t gamer chair with nitro boosters. Getting all the gamer dust in your face, ALL the dust.

Yes but are you earning money doing it?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
it seems like more of a straw man to directly compare civil rights and charity movements to self employed entertainment. both make the world a better place in their own way but the two were never meant to be set right next to each other.

i mean heck the entire stand-up comedy tradition is a uniquely American style of entertainment that started because a bunch of awkward nerds wanted to try telling jokes instead of what they were currently doing for a living. most of them didn't make it and went back to whatever they were doing before but that hasn't stopped the idea from bringing laughter and joy to millions of people, especially very poor people since stand up is cheap to go see and is pretty accessible.

i am not trying to imply that streamers are the next scrappy stand up comedians or whatever, i am just pointing out that self employed entertainment can be a social good in its own right so dismissing it as superfluous because it's not directly related to a life support function like food and water or a justice issue seems short sighted.

i mean hell even the people doing that sort of work have to go laugh and be entertained. i wouldn't be at all surprised to find a nontrivial number of charity workers go to their local chuckle bucket club to get the smell of homeless people out of their minds after a shift at the food pantry, or that some of them chill down at home to watch streamer mcgee play pubg. just like coffee provided to lumberjacks is a part of making a pencil, that entertainment is part of providing that food to homeless people.

heck even pope Francis has pointed out that streamers and YouTube talking heads have a lot of power to make people feel included and joyful in today's society and has further insinuated it's their moral duty to do so (versus act like phil or drop epithets like pewds) because it supports the work of so many people who are working to make the world a better place in other ways

like it or not our actions doing what we do tend to affect a lot of things in very gradual but significant ways and you don't need to be wielding a ladle to be doing good work (though it helps)

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

Putty posted:

http://www.homedepot.com/b/Tools-Workwear-Safety-Gear-Equipment-Safety-Gear-Respirators-Masks/N-5yc1vZc25k

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Coolguye posted:

it seems like more of a straw man to directly compare civil rights and charity movements to self employed entertainment. both make the world a better place in their own way but the two were never meant to be set right next to each other.

i mean heck the entire stand-up comedy tradition is a uniquely American style of entertainment that started because a bunch of awkward nerds wanted to try telling jokes instead of what they were currently doing for a living. most of them didn't make it and went back to whatever they were doing before but that hasn't stopped the idea from bringing laughter and joy to millions of people, especially very poor people since stand up is cheap to go see and is pretty accessible.

i am not trying to imply that streamers are the next scrappy stand up comedians or whatever, i am just pointing out that self employed entertainment can be a social good in its own right so dismissing it as superfluous because it's not directly related to a life support function like food and water or a justice issue seems short sighted.

i mean hell even the people doing that sort of work have to go laugh and be entertained. i wouldn't be at all surprised to find a nontrivial number of charity workers go to their local chuckle bucket club to get the smell of homeless people out of their minds after a shift at the food pantry, or that some of them chill down at home to watch streamer mcgee play pubg. just like coffee provided to lumberjacks is a part of making a pencil, that entertainment is part of providing that food to homeless people.

heck even pope Francis has pointed out that streamers and YouTube talking heads have a lot of power to make people feel included and joyful in today's society and has further insinuated it's their moral duty to do so (versus act like phil or drop epithets like pewds) because it supports the work of so many people who are working to make the world a better place in other ways

like it or not our actions doing what we do tend to affect a lot of things in very gradual but significant ways and you don't need to be wielding a ladle to be doing good work (though it helps)

:gbsmith:

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
Stand-up comedians work by creating new content through jokes. These streamer folks aren't creating anything new, rather they are mirroring or regurgitating existing content. More or less leeching off existing success.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Yeah I tell my bank teller to gently caress off and get a real job too

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
What does gamer dust smell like?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Even if you like tie Tuesday's notification noise the first time, I don't see how you can like it repeatedly.
And it's hard the first time. These aren't jokes, they are random nonsense. Hank Hill making a funny face while "here comes a beautiful bepis" plays on top of itself twenty times? Really?
You can tell he's forcing himself to laugh at these sometimes.
I do watch when he does jackbox games... He is actually funny there and not everyone is playing those... But I tried and I cannot watch someone play a game for even two hours, much less seven hours at a time without editing.

You know what's funny is that that's what let's playing is now. Half the coverage of car boys was people amazed that let's players actually cared about being entertaining and not just talking about random crap and never editing.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Discendo Vox posted:

Cheetos. Or doritos. It varies.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd_aUpOi2NY&t=69s

Also wow, remember when this was entertainment?

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Hemingway To Go! posted:

You know what's funny is that that's what let's playing is now. Half the coverage of car boys was people amazed that let's players actually cared about being entertaining and not just talking about random crap and never editing.

Tie and Smight streams I have on while cooking or doing work and due to the amazing advancement in video technology it just saves where you were in the video when you close it.

Also worth noting is Smight and Tie don't have many moments where they get stuck in a very obvious puzzle so their videos tend to keep a good pace.

Combat Lobster posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd_aUpOi2NY&t=69s

Also wow, remember when this was entertainment?

That's not even Mario Kart, those cheaters!

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
Oh god Blendtec is still a thing

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Please help I can't stop looking at Blendtec videos

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Coolguye posted:

That's pretty great honestly, but then I'm wary since this conversation stemmed from people saying donation notifications are good since it encourages community. Encouraging people to donate to feel included seems scummy to me, even though I know most streamers aren't intentionally doing so. People should donate to reward/thank the streamer, not for community.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I don't think many folks donating are thinking "This'll make me part of something!" instead of thinking "I like this streamer I will donate to them.".

E: Though then again I hope there's not streamers encouraging obsessive fans to keep donating.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
yeah there's a pretty bright line between encouraging people to donate more for the streamer's sake (which is what phil does and he shares this trait in common with megachurch reverend gibmo dinero) and simply generating content and allowing people to express their gratitude for said content monetarily

i personally am really uncomfortable calling them donations, since in the classical sense they are absolutely not, but when you create content like this it brings people together to talk about the content. what the pope was talking about is what the result of that is. that all depends on how you as the content creator lead that conversation and what you yourself stand for. you don't necessarily have to be an avatar of cosmic good or whatever, but if you're building communities you should at least be aware of that responsibility you're implicitly taking on and not tear other people or groups down. just have fun and encourage other people to join you in that fun. that's a good all in itself.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Mega64 posted:

That's pretty great honestly, but then I'm wary since this conversation stemmed from people saying donation notifications are good since it encourages community. Encouraging people to donate to feel included seems scummy to me, even though I know most streamers aren't intentionally doing so. People should donate to reward/thank the streamer, not for community.

i'm gonna hammer my 95 theses on the front door of Twitch HQ

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Most streamers I watch "regularly" (which is whenever I don't have anything else to do and I see they're streaming) are pretty good at engaging chat normally and answering questions regardless of them being subs/having donated. It's more a tip jar with a message attached than anything else, which I think it's fine, although I can see people throwing money at streamers just to make sure they're "heard". You can't really help it though, unless you decide you're not gonna read any messages that come with your donations, or not take donations at all. A lot of times streamers start these things because people said they wanna throw a couple of bucks their way instead of it being their idea, and I mean, even if I'm not trying to live off streaming I'll take beer money if you're offering.

And yeah, I see it as busking, so it definitely shouldn't be a "career path", it's something you do for fun and you've realized some people enjoy it and wouldn't mind giving you a dollar because they appreciate it. I've never seen anyone that lives off LPing or streaming sayin' "yeah, it's totally a viable money-making endeavour", it's always "do it for fun, if you build up an audience maybe you can make a living out of it but don't count on it". Unless you mean you shouldn't incentivize successful people to keep at it because it's a bubble, but most people that hit it big 5 years ago and didn't implode are still doing OK. That's a more stable gig than working in my field in my country, honestly.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

CharlestonJew posted:

the civil rights activists of the 1960s, people who volunteer their time and money to helping the less fortunate in 3rd world countries, people who give $20 to xxxPacManYellowFeverxxx on Twitch so he'll read their messages out loud

Good show. I chuckled at xxxPacManYellowFeverxxx. I would almost donate $1 just for that name alone.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

CharlestonJew posted:

lemme break it down for you john madden style

You can't say "Silencing people is bad" without silencing people who use their speech to silence people. It's a well-known contradiction, and I still say there's no irony in holding the position.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
People give money to internet people for so many inexplicable reasons. For instance, a website that predates Twitch, MyFreeCams. There, people give internet people tokens for touching their junk and putting things in a butt.

What do you think of Twitch Cheers?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Maybe MDC should open up a myfreecams account

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

KirbyKhan posted:

People give money to internet people for so many inexplicable reasons. For instance, a website that predates Twitch, MyFreeCams. There, people give internet people tokens for touching their junk and putting things in a butt.

What do you think of Twitch Cheers?

I always thought the two things Cheers was missing were slurs and emote spam.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
If you even dare make money streaming videogames prepare to meet my adamantium fist

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Even if you like tie Tuesday's notification noise the first time, I don't see how you can like it repeatedly.
And it's hard the first time. These aren't jokes, they are random nonsense. Hank Hill making a funny face while "here comes a beautiful bepis" plays on top of itself twenty times? Really?
You can tell he's forcing himself to laugh at these sometimes.

It's a shame because I used to enjoy Tie's content, but those notifications just made me stop watching his stuff entirely. I just don't get them, I guess some people must enjoy them but to me they seem to be tailor-made to be as obnoxious as possible.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
Isn't tie tuesdsy one of the crazy lp zone people who called lowtax a pedophile with no proof or reason

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
No.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
He did self-ban from sawful as part of that schmorky drama, I forget what he thought was so wrong. I think he took the twitter people's word on what happened.
But I don't think he's LP Zone, just streams as his job.

Lowtax and Tie actually had some LP content together (also forget what it was) but apparently later was a jerk to Lowtax.

It's a situation I don't like but I think he just took the word of the wrong people, there wasn't malicious deceit like there was on the part of Voidburger.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Hemingway To Go! posted:

there wasn't malicious deceit like there was on the part of Voidburger.

Uhhh can you elaborate? I don't remember there being any malicious deceit involved

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Danaru posted:

Uhhh can you elaborate? I don't remember there being any malicious deceit involved

There wasn't. She criticized Lowtax on Twitter for involving his daughter in the mess and got banned on SA as a result. Tie and others then ragged on Lowtax for doing that.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Danaru posted:

voidburger at times reblogged some guy making accusations of lowtax raping his first wife and molesting his kids and accused the "Negrotown" (now The Great Race Space) forum of being a forum that the black posters would be locked to and unable to post outside of, basically a segregation project instead of giving a mod a forum they requested having.

she might have said more poo poo since but I don't read her twitter and I unsubbed her channel. And I liked some of her forum opinions, before I get accused of sexism for not liking Voidburger, since that always seems to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Hemingway To Go! posted:

He did self-ban from sawful as part of that schmorky drama, I forget what he thought was so wrong. I think he took the twitter people's word on what happened.
But I don't think he's LP Zone, just streams as his job.

I'm pretty sure Tie said on twitter that the main reason he self-ban'd was because he doesn't care for forums. (Which made sense since he hardly ever posted.) The twitter drama might have helped in making that decision, but it certainly wasn't the actual reason.