Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
luffy eat the mochi man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Mochi melts at much lower temperatures than rubber so maybe Gear Fifth involves heat in some way and he'll melt Dogtooth

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Countblanc posted:

Mochi melts at much lower temperatures than rubber so maybe Gear Fifth involves heat in some way and he'll melt Dogtooth

[one pieceishly] ah... good thing my haki protected me, from the heat

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Perospero is a true man of culture; he gets his arm blown off and his main complaint is that it will inconvenience his tea drinking.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

A reversal of how the end of the pre-timeskip worked would be kind of neat. Luffy and his crew work together to take down Big Mom because Luffy already fought Dogtooth and feeding the wedding cake failed. Then Kaido is Luffy at his best and fresh for a 1v1 throw down, instead of fighting after a failed plan.

Also Oda has had plenty of teamwork moments for final fights. Beating Buggy is the earliest point where Luffy gets an assist to beat the boss, Oars JR also counts, as does Eneru now that I think about it. The crew don't have to hit a bad guy directly to help with a fight.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Pureauthor posted:

Perospero is a true man of culture; he gets his arm blown off and his main complaint is that it will inconvenience his tea drinking.

That was so loving funny

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!
I'd be happy with the new wedding cake being so good that Big Mom is content to let them leave. Then she gets to have delicious food sent from Sanji periodically and considers the Strawhats her friends, pretty much everything she as wanted since being a kid.

Being king of the pirates seemed more like Strussel's doing then Big Mom's dream. She just wants sweets and friends.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Havoc904 posted:

I'd be happy with the new wedding cake being so good that Big Mom is content to let them leave. Then she gets to have delicious food sent from Sanji periodically and considers the Strawhats her friends, pretty much everything she as wanted since being a kid.

Being king of the pirates seemed more like Strussel's doing then Big Mom's dream. She just wants sweets and friends.

This except just as everyone is making peace Luffy flies in from off panel and punches Big Mom because he missed the conversation.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I keep forgetting it but I definitely think the resoltuion here is a combination of Sanji's cooking and then Pudding's memory editing when Mom is in a food coma.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
On the other hand, I'm putting decent odds on Perospero getting his rear end kicked, simply because he's this arc's Spandam.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Also I wish to reiterate that Smoothie is completely loving useless.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I am super-hyped for Luffy's fight. Really can't wait to see how he pulls this one off.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Pureauthor posted:

Also I wish to reiterate that Smoothie is completely loving useless.

I assume she'll get more attention if the Big Mom Pirates show up for a second arc. There's a bunch of folks who Luffy and company have barely interacted with.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
im glad pound got off that island

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
man luffy's gotta invent a new power to gently caress katakuri up huh

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
all the old panels got me in the mood for a reread, but I don't really have the time, just did a little rerun of the marineford battle instead...and it's always struck me how Ace clearly died because he was hot-headed and stupid. he would have maybe been able to keep running away but he falls for Akainu's provocations and then pays for it. Maybe put respect on Whitebeard and the WB Pirates names by making good on the rescue they're paying all their lives for? Like maybe that would be a greater way to defend their honor than stopping the entire escape because the Biggest rear end in a top hat in the Marines is calling you names?
Guess that wouldn't have been hot-headed Ace though. Man of fire and all that.

879 was cool. Katakuri is the man.
We were talking about Jinbei's personality and how that would work with the Strawhat's chemistry, and I liked the sample interactions we got in this chapter. Brook being all sentimental not to mention kinda rude ("Hey you, you never even spent time with our furry! Let's take time to cry instead of taking full advantage of his sacrifice", gee I wonder why you're a skeleton and Jinbei's still got his fish flesh) when there are bigger fish to fry, maybe honor his sacrifice by focusing on the matters at hand. Jinbei's just a pro pirate, getting the Strawhats to focus again.
and then Big Mom literally shows up two seconds later, proving his point.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Darth Walrus posted:

I assume she'll get more attention if the Big Mom Pirates show up for a second arc. There's a bunch of folks who Luffy and company have barely interacted with.

At this point I don't see the Big Mom showdown happening anywhere other than Elbaf so Smoothie has lots of time.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Darth Walrus posted:

On the other hand, I'm putting decent odds on Perospero getting his rear end kicked, simply because he's this arc's Spandam.

Perospero is FAR more competent than Spandam ever was!

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Also Perospero gives candy to kids. Spandam would probably steal candy from kids.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

I want Brook and Mont-d'Or to have a mind-bending illusion fight.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
perospero is really bad with the drawn-out-too-long villain monologue thing but he's really fuckin dangerous and powerful and smart enough to direct big mom's rage when no one else would step up

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Lord_Magmar posted:

Also Oda has had plenty of teamwork moments for final fights. Beating Buggy is the earliest point where Luffy gets an assist to beat the boss, Oars JR also counts, as does Eneru now that I think about it. The crew don't have to hit a bad guy directly to help with a fight.

Transporting Luffy to a place where he can punch the bad man might be helping him, but it isn't helping him in the actual fight and is pretty obviously not Nami helping beat him up. Hell, in the same scene (basically) where Luffy says his job is to beat the people his crew can't he gets his feet stuck in concrete and needs help surviving that; he's only able to fight Arlong again after Nojiko and Sanji keep him alive for a while. He very obviously doesn't mean "I don't need help ever" even putting aside that he blankly states he needs the crews help with multiple other things, since that'd make his crew un-necessary, he only means "I can out punch the people my crew can't".

Havoc904 posted:

I disagree. All Streussel wanted was to have power again by the looks of things, while Big Mom wanted to make a peaceful country that she figured the Mother Caramel she remembered would want, which getting more power and fame would help since it would further guarantee peace. That aside, the above is probably the most boring resolution I can think of to the arc. Big Mom has not only done some heinous poo poo, ordering the death of family and subordinates simply for wanting a life away from her, using Sanji's family, reigning with terror over her territory, brutalizing Fishman Island in return for protection in a way reminiscent of organized crime but has essentially never come up against any kind of physical limit and has never grown up. Punching her out and forcing her to face defeat might not be the best way to force her to grow up, but it's a drat sight better than simply admitting that she can't be beaten, then choosing instead to appease her and never addressing the fact she's an over grown child at all but instead appealing to that over grown child and validating her life like every one else has done. The climax of the arc being "and then they gave her cake and everything worked out" is just dull.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
sugar's power still remains the single most impactful power in the one piece universe so far right? I mean it has the ability to completely nullify and control someone and also make anyone in the world who ever knew them forget they existed with a single touch

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Snazzy Frocks posted:

sugar's power still remains the single most impactful power in the one piece universe so far right? I mean it has the ability to completely nullify and control someone and also make anyone in the world who ever knew them forget they existed with a single touch
You have to actually be able to touch them though. Something sugar solved by letting other people capture folks for her. The single strongest power imho is still Foxy and his slow beam. I don't think Haki would protect you from a time warp, and it seemingly has no limit in usage and range. Like you could potentially have put the user at a safe hidden distant spot, have him permanently freeze the entire Whitebeard army back in Marineford and just killed them on the spot. Or done the same to Mama's tea party. Unfortunely Foxy is also the lowest-tier human being in one piece so there goes that.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it'd be pretty easy for sugar to walk up to someone and touch them. she's just a little girl, it's not like everyone is gonna automatically have their guard up against her. after she does, it's checkmate since no one would even remember it happened

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Not saying it's a weak power, but it needs stealth and subterfuge to be effective. It also is reversible, knock out Sugar and it's all gone.

Let's put it this way, it's a great power for running a mafia and controlling a kingdom, it's not a great power if you were to get dropped in the middle of Marineford.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Sep 22, 2017

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I mean, knock out foxy and he can't use his thing either. "if you beat the guy up, he loses" is kind of obvious

and it'd be amazing at marineford. if she'd touched ace, everyone would have forgotten him and they could have just walked him out to safety

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Manatee Cannon posted:

I mean, knock out foxy and he can't use his thing either. "if you beat the guy up, he loses" is kind of obvious

and it'd be amazing at marineford. if she'd touched ace, everyone would have forgotten him and they could have just walked him out to safety

how would they know its ace unless the user doesn't forget who it was (was that ever covered?)

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Snazzy Frocks posted:

how would they know its ace unless the user doesn't forget who it was (was that ever covered?)

I don't think she forgets. if she did, she wouldn't have thought to give the toys orders would she? nobody would know where they were coming from and she wouldn't know how her own powers worked because she'd get mind wiped every time she used it

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Magellan has the strongest fruit power

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i don't remember seeing magellan in the character sorter which is rude because mine deffo would have gone luffy -> nami -> carrot -> magellan

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Kinda hoping at the end of this that Sanji is actually married. That would be the only resolution to that thread that would make it meaningful. Especially now that we're in the back half of the story where things really need to have lasting meaning rather than just reset to the status quo. And with that wedding pudding would bring along a huge chunk of the remains of the big moms pirates to the straw hat armada.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i think it'd be weird for sanji to get married from a "do not marry someone who kidnapped you and who you have known for several days at most" perspective, but i think they should become romantic penpals where you see sanji get big heart eyes while clutching a letter between arcs, and get married later

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

M_Gargantua posted:

Kinda hoping at the end of this that Sanji is actually married. That would be the only resolution to that thread that would make it meaningful. Especially now that we're in the back half of the story where things really need to have lasting meaning rather than just reset to the status quo. And with that wedding pudding would bring along a huge chunk of the remains of the big moms pirates to the straw hat armada.

it has a lasting impact on the world since the strawhats infiltrated big mom's headquarters, blew up her castle, decimated her forces (including some of her sweet commanders), stole a bunch of important things (the poneglyph, jinbe, sanji), and will be getting away with it

especially if big mom decides to chase after them

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Manatee Cannon posted:

it has a lasting impact on the world since the strawhats infiltrated big mom's headquarters, blew up her castle, decimated her forces (including some of her sweet commanders), stole a bunch of important things (the poneglyph, jinbe, sanji), and will be getting away with it

especially if big mom decides to chase after them

I mean from a lasting character growth standpoint. Much like Hancock is effectively Luffys wife, but as Pirate King he has no interest in settling down. Sanji may have been kidnapped and coerced by big mom and his family. But he met pudding and accepted that she was going to be his wife and that he was drat well going to be a good husband at the least. He continually shows care for her and is protecting her, even after she revealed her extreme bipolarness. If he rewound all that and went back to womanizing then it would just be a reset to the status quo for him as a character.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD

Pureauthor posted:

I'll use my "deceitful candy" to replace my limb.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Sanji can't get married. He's already married. To his job.

EGSunBro
Nov 1, 2012

PEPSI FOR TV-GAME
Yeah I'm hoping that Sanji more or less drops his gimmick now. He could still be a weirdo about Nami and Robin I guess but I feel like this arc is Oda acknowledging how lovely Sanji has been since the New World and giving him an out. Pudding will probably stay behind after altering Big Mom's memories, but even if they don't ultimately get together I hope Sanji can at least act like he does towards Pudding with women in the future and just be genuinely well meaning and charming without the constant nose bleeds and lol perversion.

I really liked pre-timeskip Sanji where the gag was mostly just a quick thing and he could actually be a real person and do things. I feel like versus Kalifa should have been the worst he got where he couldn't fight an enemy he really needed to or even respect her as an enemy, he should have learned something there. It's lame it's taken 10 more years of One Piece for him to grow, but at least it might be happening.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
That one guy: ah, finally. Once lufffy gains strength from fighting "Dogtooth commander" he'll finally be ready to punch big mother to death, the only way this arc could possibly end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Sanji would totes honor-marry pudding

Pudding edits mom's memory to make their marriage an alliance marriage and then he doesn't actually have to fight big mom and and she gets a redemption story after she figures out her backstory