Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

AutomaticPrince posted:

Does anyone happen to know if the chain stores will open early for this launch? Most around me open at 8am but my wife scheduled our house closing for 8:30am. :smithicide:

I'm sending my brother to the local TRU armed with cash as backup but he's a raging alcoholic/pothead and it's his day off so I expect him to stroll down there at 2 in the afternoon and text me that they're sold out.

Also, slightly on topic, I was able to snag a NES Classic for retail through Amazon Fresh of all places (Boston, MA area). Showed up on my doorstep this morning.

I know Toys R Us is probably still 10 AM next Friday here. You might want to get in line early, as I doubt they have more then 30 in the store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Voyeurism is cool.

In other news my card was charged for my Target order last night so woop, I guess that small time frame when I managed to score a preorder was legit. Come to me, my sweet sweet SNES roms that I've already played a dozen times.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Will the entire US romset fit onto the SNES like it did with the NES, or are they too big?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

TheManWithNoName posted:

Will the entire US romset fit onto the SNES like it did with the NES, or are they too big?

If the internal memory is the same size as the NES Classic, no.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The entire library of good games you would actually want should fit. Curating will be a pain though

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Kirios posted:

To be fair I think both are kind of silly but to each their own.

South Park's episode on it multiple seasons ago was pretty good

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Crackbone posted:

Beep boop all memories must be devoid of emotion if not rated pure enough for my broke-brain

I have a million better memories growing up beyond buyin a fuckin video game at a toy store that I would opt to memorialize in a bittersweet way if I had the desire to do so

It's not hard to grasp how

The REAL Goobusters posted:

the guy who drew that is a straight up loving loser lmao

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

TheManWithNoName posted:

Too big, curation will definitely be required.

The usable internal memory on the NES Classic is like 300 megs. This works for NES games because some games are like 40kb and the rare "huge" ones are 1 megabyte with most being 256kb or less.

The smallest SNES are 512kb but most are in the 1-2 megabyte range, and especially with later games there are a decent number in the 3-4 range, plus a few of the "good" ROMhacks are even larger (e.g. Super Demo World: The Legend Continues is 6 megabytes, Star Ocean decompressed is 12 megabytes).

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Is there a wait-in-line guy for hire app for nerds who have jobs and can't do this poo poo

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Spellman posted:

Is there a wait-in-line guy for hire app for nerds who have jobs and can't do this poo poo

Yes, several.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

AutomaticPrince posted:

Does anyone happen to know if the chain stores will open early for this launch? Most around me open at 8am but my wife scheduled our house closing for 8:30am. :smithicide:

I'm sending my brother to the local TRU armed with cash as backup but he's a raging alcoholic/pothead and it's his day off so I expect him to stroll down there at 2 in the afternoon and text me that they're sold out.

Also, slightly on topic, I was able to snag a NES Classic for retail through Amazon Fresh of all places (Boston, MA area). Showed up on my doorstep this morning.

IMO you might want to just set up a nowinstock alert and try and order one. Thats my plan as I get the feeling it won't be nearly as hard to get.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Yeah it's definitely extremely wishful thinking but I'm cautiously optimistic that orders shipping in like the week or two following release, will be up at a reasonable time for the better part of an hour at least.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

lmao are we going to get a bunch more of these when it finally closes. people are so obsessed with their child nostalgia goddamn (also just lmao at the pic)

Seriously, who the gently caress holds their childhood near and dear to their heart?

TheManWithNoName posted:

It's almost 5GB so I doubt it.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Good soup! posted:

I have a million better memories growing up beyond buyin a fuckin video game at a toy store that I would opt to memorialize in a bittersweet way if I had the desire to do so

Check out mr loving cool here. :lol:

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The main things you need to add are DKC2 and Chrono Trigger. You want to put 800 games on there? Get real you goof.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
the question I demand answered is why isn't there a 240p output option, nintendo answer my emails

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

s.i.r.e. posted:

Seriously, who the gently caress holds their childhood near and dear to their heart?

There have likely been some theses about this, I think the gist is that a fairly large number of people end up really bitter and depressed as they get older (especially people who believed they were destined to greatness in money/power/women terms and somehow thought this would just happen automatically). For some, the time they were able to spend playing video games was largely free of other responsibilities (especially with months-long summer school breaks), and if they otherwise had a bad childhood (school sucks, the other kids bully me, mom and dad are always yelling) they may form a pretty serious "the video games I played when I was 12 = maximum happiness" and this is further screwed up by the fact that now being an adult with adult money means you can re-buy a time capsule of your childhood goodies AND complement that with the fact that no one is telling you you're only allowed one game at Christmas and one for your birthday anymore and now you have people going fully insane buying complete NES/SNES libraries and driving the prices up to completely ludicrous levels.

It's definitely not healthy, it's purestrain escapism and leads to basement dwelling at doormat mom's house under the right conditions. I think parts of this are also a big reason for the redpill/MRA/Gamergate garbage, and I think it can definitely still happen in a "correct" upbringing except society took a giant poo poo on you and you'll never be able to afford a house and holy poo poo I can't make ends meet, STRESS (escapes into Mario games).

For my sake I definitely came pretty drat close to screwing up my life in a few subtle ways chasing that nostagia high but, like I mentioned before, things are a LOT better (although still definitely some improvements to be made) now that my "life" situation is much better (getting a non-poo poo job was HUGE). But I'm definitely still very "off" in terms of impulse control and have to tread lightly.

This has been "too much information", and yes I would like a 99-cent Frosty.

univbee fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Sep 22, 2017

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

[quote="“univbee”" post="“476656916”"]
There have likely been some theses about this, I think the gist is that a fairly large number of people end up really bitter and depressed as they get older (especially people who believed they were destined to greatness in money/power/women terms and somehow thought this would just happen automatically). For some, the time they were able to spend playing video games was largely free of other responsibilities (especially with months-long summer school breaks), and if they otherwise had a bad childhood (school sucks, the other kids bully me, mom and dad are always yelling) they may form a pretty serious “the video games I played when I was 12 = maximum happiness” and this is further screwed up by the fact that now being an adult with adult money means you can re-buy a time capsule of your childhood goodies AND complement that with the fact that no one is telling you you’re only allowed one game at Christmas and one for your birthday anymore and now you have people going fully insane buying complete NES/SNES libraries and driving the prices up to completely ludicrous levels.

It’s definitely not healthy, it’s purestrain escapism and leads to basement dwelling at doormat mom’s house under the right conditions. I think parts of this are also a big reason for the redpill/MRA/Gamergate garbage.

For my sake I definitely came pretty drat close to screwing up my life in a few subtle ways chasing that nostagia high but, like I mentioned before, things are a LOT better (although still definitely some improvements to be made) now that my “life” situation is much better (getting a non-poo poo job was HUGE). But I’m definitely still very “off” in terms of impulse control and have to tread lightly.

This has been “too much information”, and yes I would like a 99-cent Frosty.
[/quote]

It's just a silly drawing some guy made for Twitter, dude.:lol:

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Good soup! posted:

This. If your best memories are from buying a loving video game at a toys r us and that's like just the peak of your childhood happiness, then you had a pretty loving lovely childhood/life.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

SeANMcBAY posted:

It's just a silly drawing some guy made for Twitter, dude.:lol:

It's times like this I wish the "private" style Japanese maid cafe's were more of a thing here, just to see what kinds of "fantasy" environments the West came up with for its clientele.

This. If your best memories are from buying a loving video game at a toys r us and that's like just the peak of your childhood happiness, then you had a pretty loving lovely childhood/life.

You're definitely right but I think this is probably a lot more common than we'd like to admit. Whole lotta kids needed therapy and never got it.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

What the gently caress is wrong with you people. You're allowed to have a happy childhood memory, even if it involves some EVIL CORPORATION like Toys R Us. Chill out. No one is saying that it has to be THE happiest moment of your childhood.

Don't you guys remember when you could go rent a video game and get some candy at blockbuster? Does that mean you had a poo poo childhood too if you remember it fondly?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Al Borland Corp. posted:

The entire library of good games you would actually want should fit. Curating will be a pain though

I already did this. Went through the list of SNES games, kept track of the ones I really wanted. I think there were like 20 games I am going to put on the thing.

I'll fill my RetroPie up with all the crap games, the SNES classic will just be the classics.

I don't know why people want to put every single game on there. My brother has an Everdrive and brags that he has 1250 games or something on it. Like, do you really need Mario Bros, Mario Bros in every language, plus the Mario/Duck Hunt/World Track meet multicart that require accessories you don't even own?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Astro7x posted:

I don't know why people want to put every single game on there. My brother has an Everdrive and brags that he has 1250 games or something on it. Like, do you really need Mario Bros, Mario Bros in every language, plus the Mario/Duck Hunt/World Track meet multicart that require accessories you don't even own?

It's more that it's incredibly easy to just download a whole romset, use a program to filter out duplicates and arrange them, and then put them all on an sd card and then never have to worry about downloading a new game again when you suddenly remember a game you want to play.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

RCarr posted:

Don't you guys remember when you could go rent a video game and get some candy at blockbuster? Does that mean you had a poo poo childhood too if you remember it fondly?

I wasn't allowed to get the candy. :smith:

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

univbee posted:

It's times like this I wish the "private" style Japanese maid cafe's were more of a thing here, just to see what kinds of "fantasy" environments the West came up with for its clientele.

Sir this is a Hooters

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

RCarr posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with you people. You're allowed to have a happy childhood memory, even if it involves some EVIL CORPORATION like Toys R Us. Chill out. No one is saying that it has to be THE happiest moment of your childhood.

yes.

im soryr

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Kiranamos posted:

Sir this is a Hooters

Boy they sure are. :sonia:

Now where the video games at so I can have everything I want in one place?

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Hey, I pay the mortgage on the house of the basement that I dwell, haha... childhood was great... job is high stress (which is why I can afford all the games/systems and mortgage), so definitely a level of escapism in my playing games. But it is also just the cheapest and most accommodating hobby I have with a wife and kids (souping up a muscle car or shredding on a cranked tube amp aren't really practical options with 2 babies/toddlers around). Plus TV is becoming less and less interesting, so after the kids are asleep at night, I rather play a game or read a book than watch whatever reality crap is on these days, especially since I binge through the shows I want to watch anyways.

Ya, there definitely is a rising epidemic of people who have no drive/ambition career-wise and just spend their 20's and 30's in mom and dad's basement and don't even bother with relationships. This is becoming more and more of a focus of sociologists. Also, can't tell you the number of women I know who's boyfriends just sit at home and play video games to the point where they break up with them (or even cheat on them, not that it is justified since they should just dump them first).

But I don't really see a difference in video game nostalgia than someone remembering every line up of their favorite baseball/football team, buying tickets every year, etc. People have their interests and many of those develop from childhood. We are just in the generation of having home consoles and many people stick with that.

edit: and I wasn't even allowed to rent games. I just had to keep playing what I got for xmas and bday, and what my siblings got as well. Though, I never had interest in renting anyway

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Sep 22, 2017

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I want to play some earthbound actually.

E: I don't have fond memories of buying video games. I have fond memories of the experiences I had playing them with friends or family.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

univbee posted:

I wasn't allowed to get the candy. :smith:

One summer of mine was spent renting Lufia II from a local video rental store. One week it wasn't there, and when I rented it the next week someone overwrote my save, even though there were empty slots. :smith:

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

With the NES I started to curate a list before I hacked it. I watched tons of hidden gem videos, looks at best of lists, and still ended up with a couple hundred games when it all added up. So I took the easy route and loaded it all and now if there's something I want to play I have it.

I did add a couple non-US ones as well like English translations of FF2 + 3, and the FDS Super Mario 2.

There's just something cool about having every game for the NES on the official NES Classic. Since it won't be possible on the SNES I'll have to pick and choose, first up is Zombies Ate My Neighbors and Chrono Trigger.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Morby posted:

I'm a little nervous that I haven't gotten an update about the Walmart preorder I have. It's still listed for 10/6 delivery from what I can tell, whereas the others I had made have already been cancelled.

Heh, I've gotten four emails about my preorder from another store and every time I get one I have a mini heart attack looking for the "we're very sorry, but" line

MarcusSA posted:

IMO you might want to just set up a nowinstock alert and try and order one. Thats my plan as I get the feeling it won't be nearly as hard to get.

I tried so hard on that with the NES Classic.. Had all types of alerts set, and once manged to get one into my cart on amazon, but no purchase would go through :(

Assuming my order does come through, I'm really looking forward to doing playthroughs of Secret of Mana and Super Metroid. Also if it does get jailbroken, I'd love to have an excuse to sit down and go through a translation-patched Clock Tower (among others)

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

TheManWithNoName posted:

With the NES I started to curate a list before I hacked it. I watched tons of hidden gem videos, looks at best of lists, and still ended up with a couple hundred games when it all added up. So I took the easy route and loaded it all and now if there's something I want to play I have it.

I did add a couple non-US ones as well like English translations of FF2 + 3, and the FDS Super Mario 2.

There's just something cool about having every game for the NES on the official NES Classic. Since it won't be possible on the SNES I'll have to pick and choose, first up is Zombies Ate My Neighbors and Chrono Trigger.

Yeah adding Chrono Trigger would be sick. What are other good SNES games that aren't on this thing? I had a genesis growing up (and it loving ruled), and played earthbound on my hacked PSP along with some other snes games I guess.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Should get this back to the SNES Classic Edition...

So what is everyone's first game they plan to play? I know we'll all probably run through the the library real quick to see how various ones run on it, but what is the game you plan to really sit down and play through first?

I am thinking either Mario RPG or Super Metroid, I just finished Zero Mission the other week and am playing Samus Returns on my 3DS these days, so been on a Metroid kick lately.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

As a kid you didn't have convenient access to any game you wanted, and getting a new one was an uncommon treat usually reserved for birthdays and Christmas, so I think it's okay to feel nostalgic about that feeling of excitement. That's my imho.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

FireMrshlBill posted:

So what is everyone's first game they plan to play? I know we'll all probably run through the the library real quick to see how various ones run on it, but what is the game you plan to really sit down and play through first?

I have a feeling that the only game I'm going to play involving the SNES Classic is the waiting game.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

FireMrshlBill posted:

Should get this back to the SNES Classic Edition...

I am thinking either Mario RPG or Super Metroid, I just finished Zero Mission the other week and am playing Samus Returns on my 3DS these days, so been on a Metroid kick lately.

Re-reading the "Let's Break Final Fantasy III" LP has made me itchin' for that game, even though it won't have Relm's Sketch Bug. Not sure if it's what I'll play first but I'm def keen on that.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

I don't have any broke brain reasons for wanting this so badly, it's just my parents really restricted what types of games I could play until I was in middle school. So on the list of SNES games I've only ever played Super Mario World and Mario Kart. It just seems like such an easy, convenient way for me to play all the all-time greats from the 16 bit era that I missed out on than any real sense of nostalgic.

That said, as another goon pointed out if this had Chrono Trigger (and I'm sure there will be a way to add it one way or another) it would be a near-perfect list.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Definitely putting the Blizzard games on there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Yeah adding Chrono Trigger would be sick. What are other good SNES games that aren't on this thing? I had a genesis growing up (and it loving ruled), and played earthbound on my hacked PSP along with some other snes games I guess.

Off the top of my head:

- Harvest Moon
- Final Fantasy 2
- Secret of Evermore (debatable? I hated it, but some people really liked it)
- Soul Blazer
- Illusion of Gaia
- Terranigma
- Ogre Battle
- Lufia
- Lufia 2
- EVO: Search for Eden

The SNES was a great RPG system, and while that's reflected in what's on the SNES Classic (and it includes some of the best), it doesn't have all of the best.