Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009

explosivo posted:

I'm with you, honestly. There's not an original bone in PUBG's body but Fortnite's is different enough and is surprisingly fun, but the first match I played I definitely did have a number of "whoa.." moments when seeing the similarities between it and PUBG.

Fortnite is similar to PUBG as PUBG is similar to H1Z1:KotK as H1Z1:KotK is similar to DayZ, etc..

Obviously, PlayerUnknown had a hand in pretty much every one of those versions to date, but if PU (and by extension BlueHole) wanted to patent the Battle Royale genre, they should have tried.

Penpal posted:

Do the culling and H1Z1 have a plane flying over the map that you jump out and pull the chute on? I honestly don't know, I can only think of that weird af "Isle of Nyne" game and their drop pods. That feels pretty similar. And it's pretty funny that Epic are paying top pubg streamers to promote Fortnite

H1Z1 has a plane that flys over the map.

Companies paying streams to promote their game is a common thing these days. Blizzard did a charity event where they invited a few League streamers/pros to play HotS for a while. Streamers got paid, money went to charity, Blizzard/HotS got publicity.

TJChap2840 fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Sep 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Paying homage to inspiration is copying these days lol. Pubg is unoriginal. This thread constantly delivers.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Pubg is like, entirely mechanics from other games cobbled together to make something really cool. It's not original in any sense - it's like a 90s free-for-all shooter plus vehicles and a circle that shrinks.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies
I don't think Bluehole is making a copyright kind of case here. I think it's more of a "You took our money for the Unreal engine license and now you're directly undercutting our product" theory.

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009

ChickenMedium posted:

I don't think Bluehole is making a copyright kind of case here. I think it's more of a "You took our money for the Unreal engine license and now you're directly undercutting our product" theory.

Bluehole Guy posted:

After listening to the growing feedback from our community and reviewing the gameplay for ourselves, we are concerned that Fortnite may be replicating the experience for which PUBG is known

Obviously that doesn't mean they aren't going to do what you said, but that quote by itself is pretty silly.

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
It makes Bluehole look pretty foolish. The first "clone" coming from their own middleware developer is probably galling, I can get that. They're delusional if they think that they'll be able to stop a flood of similar games coming out soon after. Would like to see an arcade/sim mix from a more capable dev studio.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

psh that, "clone" doesn't even have fpp

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

WARNING: Temporal rift detected!

ChickenMedium posted:

This is exactly how I figure this started.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Tweak posted:

psh that, "clone" doesn't even have fpp

Welp suddenly i am not interested.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

I assume PubG will be successfully replaced within two to three years by a competitor. H1Z1 and DayZ were basically prototypes, and PubG is the first whack at a commercial release. Somebody else (probably not Fortnite) is going to copy the equation while dramatically upping the production quality and money involved, add in a couple good ideas that PubG inevitably will refuse to, and end up becoming the king of Battleground titles for awhile.

Certainly won't be the first time it's happened. Dota was the the PubG of it's day, and was popular for while, but now Dota2's maximum concurrent player record is something like 1.2m? and LoL's is 13 or 14m?

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

ChickenMedium posted:

I mean its almost definitely all 100% legal and poo poo, but hoo boy this is a dick move. Using all the specific engine improvements and tailor made tweaks requested or commissioned or whatever by bluehole to make "kid friendly PUBG that is launching on both XBONE and PS4 next week" before PUBG even hits just Xbone is cold.

Also I got a :

Lemon
May 22, 2003

lovely Wizard posted:

Also I got a :

Is that what they call a Chicken Dinner in Paris?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

poo poo, three fog matches in a row. I am #blessed.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

The Wonder Weapon posted:

I assume PubG will be successfully replaced within two to three years by a competitor. H1Z1 and DayZ were basically prototypes, and PubG is the first whack at a commercial release. Somebody else (probably not Fortnite) is going to copy the equation while dramatically upping the production quality and money involved, add in a couple good ideas that PubG inevitably will refuse to, and end up becoming the king of Battleground titles for awhile.

Certainly won't be the first time it's happened. Dota was the the PubG of it's day, and was popular for while, but now Dota2's maximum concurrent player record is something like 1.2m? and LoL's is 13 or 14m?

Dice just needs to announce a BR mode in the next BF game and they can sell 100 million units.

Also re copyright talk, no way are they going to get anyone to rule that Fortnite BR is infringing. I've played FBR and it is a substantially different game top to bottom. Really the only similarity is the battle royale mode itself, every other aspect is different. The guns, art style, game play, crafting/building/resource gathering, game length, sound, movement, no cars, no fpp, etc. all function differently. That said, they could easily push out a couple patches that would make the game basically into a smoother running PUBG, but if they're smart they'll wait until after a judge has already ruled against PUBG's claim.

Sure it's kind of a dick move, but it's business, what did they expect. If they didn't want their poo poo cloned, they should've signed a non-compete clause or something comparable. They made a god damned golden goose and apparently signed nothing saying that Epic couldn't make a golden goose of their own, wtf did they expect.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Sep 22, 2017

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Lemon posted:

Is that what they call a Chicken Dinner in Paris?

Nicely done

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Dice just needs to announce a BR mode in the next BF game and they can sell 100 million units.
I'd be pretty surprised if they didn't. To me the best part of this game is the fact that it's super-popular and, like, genre-inaugurating. I doubt anyone will give a poo poo about playerunknown in 5 years but I know there will be a bunch of cool, well-polished battle royale shooters.

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP
There's two big plus sides people are forgetting about the incoming age of Battle Royale games/modes :

1 - Battle Royale modes REQUIRE dedicated servers, so hopefully the age of peer to peer competitive shooters starts dying.

2 - 100 player for Battle Royale modes. Nobody is going to put in the effort for a Battle Royale mode and be called out for not being able to do the jump from 64 players to 100.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

No one is going to care about 64 vs 100 players lol. I imagine there will be a good amount of work to do on supporting large sparse maps instead of small dense ones though. Your network protocol can't just send the position of every player with 100 players.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I'd be pretty surprised if they didn't. To me the best part of this game is the fact that it's super-popular and, like, genre-inaugurating. I doubt anyone will give a poo poo about playerunknown in 5 years but I know there will be a bunch of cool, well-polished battle royale shooters.

TBH I'm really surprised they haven't teased something like that. It costs them nothing to hint at the possibility and they get ridiculous exposure and hype out of it. Plus who doesn't want to play a battle royale on a shooter engine that doesn't feel like it could've been made in 2001. poo poo even CS 1.5 had bullet penetration.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
You don't win at BR games until you can finish a match with the Kolibri.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
PUBG always looked like it could have been a Battlefield 1942 mod if 80+ man servers were possible in that day. It doesn't help, I suppose, that a huge number of streamers run it at graphics settings that look like it stepped out of 1999. This doesn't sound like Greene (who didn't really "invent" the genre all on his own) doing the complaining as much as the Korean businessmen who take most of the profit out of it.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

The game would work fine with 64 players in the BF1942 engine.

Shayl
Apr 11, 2007

As with any popular game, the next 2-4 years will be full of clones. I can see why they're upset with Epic but they won't be able to stop the flood of Breath of the Wild Open World Battle Royale games.

Sombrero!
Sep 11, 2001

A BR game in the Frostbite engine would be great, it's a shame that EA/DICE don't license it out.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
After some research: people have been flooding Dice official forums with requests for a Frostbite engine BR game/game mode so they're definitely aware of the demand.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
They're pretty slow about that kinda stuff. They're only just now starting to jump on the 5v5 competitive bandwagon.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
I thought this was pretty impressive. Lots of live-action pubg videos goin out, but this one was well produced:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dG6HliC9OI

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Now accepting payment for lessons on how to be a Pro Gamer. Line forms to the left.

http://plays.tv/video/59c5ba54941d24acb5/pro-gamer-strat

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Hockles posted:

Now accepting payment for lessons on how to be a Pro Gamer. Line forms to the left.

http://plays.tv/video/59c5ba54941d24acb5/pro-gamer-strat

Are you ironically or unironically playing FPP? How do I beat an already dead horse?

Also, what is the point of this new grenade throwing mechanic? It just seems like an extra button press and delay on throwing a grenade. What kind of technical masterstroke am I missing here?

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

VulgarandStupid posted:

Are you ironically or unironically playing FPP? How do I beat an already dead horse?

Also, what is the point of this new grenade throwing mechanic? It just seems like an extra button press and delay on throwing a grenade. What kind of technical masterstroke am I missing here?

1) I love FPP.

2) I'm an idiot who is bad at the game.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
the whole thing where it looks like you hit a guy, but dont is really hosed up partly because by the time I've shot a dude five or six times with the ak I expect him to go down and start moving to other targets

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

odiv posted:

No, there are bad people like me playing too.

Well I bought it and I'm regretting it already. My experience went something like this:

Killed 2 people with shotgun. No kills at all next 4 games. This sniper rifle is impossible. Can't find a car. Die outside circle. Try a town in the middle. Everyone else somehow lands 10 minutes before I do. Die.

Meh, not recommended so far.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Yeah dude you're in a 100-man death match with no respawning it's going to be a while until you win a game. Try playing some squad games next so you can learn from better players / aren't bored during the mid-game

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Honestly I sucked so bad when I first bought it that I returned it. Picked it up again a couple months later when a friend got it and have been hooked since. Watch a couple tutorials on YouTube or something.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

An inside look at a man enjoying his birthday.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Don't play solo if you're new imo

Way more fun to play with buds

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
they should add shovels and treasure maps to the desert map and you have to dig out crates for crate drops

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

If you start by playing squads with garbage goons, you are only going to learn garbage goon tactics. My advice is to start solo for a while. Learn how to work the inventory and create some basic strategy, then start squadding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

I know no-one cares, but I am bad and this is the most kills I've ever had in a game.

• Locked thread