Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

tekz posted:

This is pretty surprising, is that really true for most people?

It is both true and not useful. Most people never have to use their health insurance for anything much, and don't get anything serious until they are at the end of life and on Medicare. And it ignores the problem that if you get very seriously sick you generally lose your job and health insurance with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

But COBRA! :downs:

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

tekz posted:

http://www.gallup.com/file/poll/186758/Healthcare_I_Personal_Situation_151119%20.pdf

Quality of Care:
Excellent: 31 | Good: 45 | Only Fair: 16 | Poor: 7
Health Care Coverage:
Excellent: 25 | Good: 42 | Only Fair: 22 | Poor: 10
Satisfaction with Total Cost:
Satisfied: 57 | Dissatisfied: 42

We know from the wider survey (that I can't find at the moment for crosstabbing) that satisfaction of those insured by private employers trails those on government plans but still comes in at 69%. It's worth noting that satisfaction metrics don't account for expectation level, so that can skew results some. I've seen elsewhere-I think Gallup as well-that Dems are much more satisfied than Republicans, which creates a risk of wedging as well-it's easier to write off opposition when it comes from the other side.

This doesn't excuse the myriad failures of the US healthcare system. But it's the reality that reformers have to grapple with, and I'm intensely skeptical of any plan that doesn't address it explicitly.

e:

BarbarianElephant posted:

It is both true and not useful. Most people never have to use their health insurance for anything much, and don't get anything serious until they are at the end of life and on Medicare. And it ignores the problem that if you get very seriously sick you generally lose your job and health insurance with it.

It's thoroughly useless as an indicator of whether or not we need reform (we do!), for the reasons you indicated. It's pretty drat relevant as it comes to how that reform is perceived and voted on though.

ee: vv :boom: vv

Paracaidas fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Sep 20, 2017

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

tekz posted:

It's slightly incorrect but the basic message is very, very true. People aren't so much "satisfied" with their insurance as they recognize its importance and are not willing to tolerate getting less. They want better insurance, for less, so "satisfied" is the wrong word. But that's not that relevant a point. The real political force against Obamacare wasn't the wealthy, it was people with insurance who were convinced Obama was going to make it worse. That makes any changes to the system very difficult as people do not trust involuntary changes to their status quo.

It is, however, what is helping protect Obamacare now: Obamacare is the status quo and each "repeal and replace" is changing it.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

evilweasel posted:

It's slightly incorrect but the basic message is very, very true. People aren't so much "satisfied" with their insurance as they recognize its importance and are not willing to tolerate getting less. They want better insurance, for less, so "satisfied" is the wrong word. But that's not that relevant a point. The real political force against Obamacare wasn't the wealthy, it was people with insurance who were convinced Obama was going to make it worse. That makes any changes to the system very difficult as people do not trust involuntary changes to their status quo.

It is, however, what is helping protect Obamacare now: Obamacare is the status quo and each "repeal and replace" is changing it.

Posting rather than just passiveaggressive smilie editing: how do you square "slightly incorrect" with the gallup data? It's typically my go-to in this conversation, so if there's another way to measure it or a better source I'd love to use it.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I'm on board for single payer, but I do understand why some people would be afraid of insurance getting worse. I have multiple levels of insurance available to me, from 'basically free bronze crap' to 'horribly expensive platinum plan'.
Many of my older co-workers depend on the platinum insurance to survive, as in they or their spouses have conditions where they would die very quickly without proper coverage. They have been told for years about single payer in Canada where there are long waits for insurance, and while they are unhappy about the cost, our platinum insurance is really good.(one co-worker was telling me he pays more for insurance that he does rent. In the suburbs of Seattle)
I'm sure for a lot of younger people on this website insurance couldn't be worse as it is very expensive, but for my coworkers they are terrified that it will prevent the care they need and their loved ones will simply die.
A single payer plan needs to stress that these people won't be left behind.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Peachfart posted:

A single payer plan needs to stress that these people won't be left behind.

It's hard to trust. Even if the Democrats pass the perfect plan, the next time the Republicans get in, they will viciously attack it and make it unworkable. They would probably cripple it so it works like the strawman version of single-payer - hellish long waits, denials for anything expensive or new. Anything to prove government doesn't work.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
The GOP can't manage to dismantle the ACA and that affects a small segment of the population compared to a federal single-payer system. They're not even going to be able to touch single payer.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

It's hard to trust. Even if the Democrats pass the perfect plan, the next time the Republicans get in, they will viciously attack it and make it unworkable. They would probably cripple it so it works like the strawman version of single-payer - hellish long waits, denials for anything expensive or new. Anything to prove government doesn't work.

yeah but they're gonna do that with literally anything the government does until all the disciples of grover nordquist are purged from politics

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Just listened to Rand Paul bitch about the Graham-Cassidy bill on NPR. He avoided answering a direct question on whether his No is set in stone, but at least he's still going at it.

So we have Collins a near definitive No.
Murkowski an unclear but leaning No.
McCain an unclear.
And 2 or 3 unclears in Medicaid heavy states like West Virginia.

Way too early to tell. Call these people up!

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

Just listened to Rand Paul bitch about the Graham-Cassidy bill on NPR. He avoided answering a direct question on whether his No is set in stone, but at least he's still going at it.

So we have Collins a near definitive No.
Murkowski an unclear but leaning No.
McCain an unclear.
And 2 or 3 unclears in Medicaid heavy states like West Virginia.

Way too early to tell. Call these people up!

Apparently Graham's still having to put in effort with McCain.
https://twitter.com/ericawerner/status/910634307831681025

Oh, and apparently this is the state plan for pre-existing conditions waivers, which is, uh...
https://twitter.com/steventdennis/status/909410978550439936
:psyboom:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

[quote="“Office Pig”" post="“476599701”"]
Apparently Graham’s still having to put in effort with McCain.
https://twitter.com/ericawerner/status/910634307831681025

Oh, and apparently this is the state plan for pre-existing conditions waivers, which is, uh...
https://twitter.com/steventdennis/status/909410978550439936
:psyboom:
[/quote]

I assume "The invisible hand!" Is an acceptable response?

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

Invisible? Sure you can't see any skin or muscles but those cold, bony digits sure seem visible from this blood-soaked cardboard layout hospital bed!

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

hobbesmaster posted:

How about "praying very hard for their health."?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

We intend to keep health care affordable by subsidizing it. *never puts any legislation forward to that intent.*

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

How about "praying very hard for their health."?

Currently, victims of gun violence and their immediate families are the primary recipient of our thoughts and prayers. Our state intends to expand this thoughts and prayers program to all the rest of our citizens (and if there is budget for it, perhaps their families too) who require medical care that is no longer affordable due to our actions. Thanks And God Bless,

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Grace Baiting posted:

Currently, victims of gun violence and their immediate families are the primary recipient of our thoughts and prayers. Our state intends to expand this thoughts and prayers program to all the rest of our citizens (and if there is budget for it, perhaps their families too) who require medical care that is no longer affordable due to our actions. Thanks And God Bless,

Given that thoughts and prayers are worth poo poo, it's really easy to expand the program given that the budget is full of it.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

lmao

https://twitter.com/mepfuller/status/910933764703956994

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Hahaha what an absolute farce.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

This the only noteworthy development on the Graham-Cassidy bill today, unless I missed something. Murkowski continues to be worked on. She said back in June she wouldn't let them "get" her through deals like this that are favorable to Alaska but leave a nationwide healthcare system worse as a whole.

Of course, using that statement to predict her ultimate decision would assume she sticks to principles, which the GOP generally does not have, and that she cannot be bought out, which the GOP generally can.

I'm waiting for Rand Paul to announce he changed his mind, maybe next week? He need not worry about looking like a jackass. One week is long time in 2017 time.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

I'm waiting for Rand Paul to announce he changed his mind, maybe next week? He need not worry about looking like a jackass. He's already there

Fixed

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

This the only noteworthy development on the Graham-Cassidy bill today, unless I missed something. Murkowski continues to be worked on. She said back in June she wouldn't let them "get" her through deals like this that are favorable to Alaska but leave a nationwide healthcare system worse as a whole.

Of course, using that statement to predict her ultimate decision would assume she sticks to principles, which the GOP generally does not have, and that she cannot be bought out, which the GOP generally can.

I'm waiting for Rand Paul to announce he changed his mind, maybe next week? He need not worry about looking like a jackass. One week is long time in 2017 time.

Yes, you did miss something. That's not the deal or a deal, it's one of those ideas along with federal Medicaid adjustments getting floated around as lures rather than concrete proposals for Murkowski. This is an instance where reporters are playing a game of telephone and we get 'Alaska gets its own ACA' as a result.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqILOA5bdjI

A man with a loving brain tumor — which is being treated with government healthcare — is about to take Medicaid and Obamacare away from poor people.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

viral spiral posted:

A man with a loving brain tumor — which is being treated with government healthcare — is about to take Medicaid and Obamacare away from poor people.

Not that I don't believe McCain can flip, but no other source is saying he's a yes. The last statement McCain has put out was about wanting regular order.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Who the gently caress is Jimmy Dore

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Our loud and annoying lord and savior

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Spiritus Nox posted:

Subscribe to his channel for regular updates on how worthless the Democrats are at everything.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

this would honestly be the funniest way for graham-Cassidy to fail

https://twitter.com/randpaul/status/911218525800419328

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

hobbesmaster posted:

I actually don't understand that waiver thing or rather what that tweet is calling out

How does this bill destroy coverage for pre existing conditions

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Hollismason posted:

I actually don't understand that waiver thing or rather what that tweet is calling out

How does this bill destroy coverage for pre existing conditions

States can just opt out of the system. Similarly, Louisiana refused to raise it's drinking age to 21 for around 2 decades after the rest of the country in a similar waiver and sacrificed a shitton of federal funding for roads and highways.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Spiritus Nox posted:

One of the few honest to god Bernie or Busters.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/911286545000419328

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/benjysarlin/status/911287742436388865

This really doesn't leave much room to justify a flip before the deadline. It's not over till it's over, but if they save this bill I think it'll be without McCain

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

viral spiral posted:

Spiritus Nox posted:

https://twitter.com/benjysarlin/status/911287742436388865

This really doesn't leave much room to justify a flip before the deadline. It's not over till it's over, but if they save this bill I think it'll be without McCain

Don't trust random yahoos on YouTube for political analysis.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
In a shocking turn of events, Jimmy Dore is a loving moron.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

here's jimmydore.gif for ya

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Jimmy Dore: spits on nazis
You: who gives a gently caress, probably some boring poo poo

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Spiritus Nox posted:

A man who thought it was more likely for the moon to crash into lake Michigan than Donald Trump being able to fill a SCOTUS seat (IF ELECTED).

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Acebuckeye13 posted:

...because he thought McCain was going to be a bigger piece of poo poo than he normally is? Okay, I guess.

Flip Yr Wig posted:

A man who thought it was more likely for the moon to crash into lake Michigan than Donald Trump being able to fill a SCOTUS seat (IF ELECTED).

Nobody thought Trump was going to win, kiddo. Including you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

viral spiral posted:

...because he thought McCain was going to be a bigger piece of poo poo than he normally is? Okay, I guess.

because even if we accept your "he was just predicting" he reported his prediction as fact

the reality is that mccain had not done the thing he claimed he did and he was just dumb