Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

CJacobs posted:

Minecraft only really blew up because nobody's ever made a better Minecraft. Minecraft was initially just a better Infiniminer, after all. :shrug:

Was Minecraft a better Infiniminer? I know it spawned off of Infiniminer but I thought that even though they looked the same and were both voxel-based mining games, that Infiniminer was basically doing its own thing separate from what Minecraft was trying to do.

Also, plenty of games have come out aping Minecraft and doing what it does but better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

FirstAidKite posted:

Also, plenty of games have come out aping Minecraft and doing what it does but better.

Yeah, but how many of them come to mind as easily as Minecraft? Terraria, maybe. How many of them are worth $2 billion? Not even that one.

These bubbles can be popped really easily, though, and threatening to sue another developer (especially a big, established one with an above-neutral reputation) for copying your game is a great way to piss off a whole lot of players.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

haveblue posted:

These bubbles can be popped really easily, though, and threatening to sue another developer (especially a big, established one with an above-neutral reputation) for copying your game is a great way to piss off a whole lot of players.

The amount of players who care about stuff like that enough to stop playing is trivial

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

infiniminer was ostensibly a competitive capture the flag game, although after a while I remember the ycs infiniminer server was mostly people building poo poo

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

haveblue posted:

Yeah, but how many of them come to mind as easily as Minecraft?

That's my point. When Minecraft first came out, how many people thought it'd blow up into what it is today? It's still around and kicking even in spite of a lot of issues along the way. I'm saying that with how popular PUBG is, who knows if it'll just end up as a fad that people move away from or if it'll be sticking around for a long time.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

haveblue posted:

Yeah, but how many of them come to mind as easily as Minecraft? Terraria, maybe. How many of them are worth $2 billion? Not even that one.

At least nobody would feel weird about giving the developer of Terraria one of those fluff "Lifetime Achievement" awards at AIAS, GDC or one of the other outlets.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

pubg is currently more popular than dota

i think itll be around for awhile

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

excited to see the pubg lego kits in which you assemble one of the five house types and hope good lego loot spawns. pros know to build mylta power first

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I had a dream where I was constantly yo-yoing a turd at Disney World, ran into the bathroom, hovered over the toilet, and just a geyser of doodoo just streams out my rear end.

I think what triggered it was playing Corpse Party, a game where characters plainly describe themselves making GBS threads in fear.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

exquisite tea posted:

PUBG isn't just an indie project that made it big, it's a global phenomenon with the most concurrent players on planet earth.

Valve will probably buy the IP to continue their development of absolutely nothing. sell hats and loot crates

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I thought PUBG already had lootboxes

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

yeah you can uncrate a skirt and sell it for like $200

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Zaggitz posted:

the atmosphere when you first enter city of tears and the music swells up as the elevator gets deeper is :discourse:

I love every time the path takes me there again. Kingdom's Edge also has a really lovely ambience with the snowfall and the violin BGM.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Darkoni posted:

What kind of weed are you all smoking that it gives you nightmares and poo poo? Weed makes my dreams 100% cooler.

for a lot of people daily weed smoking makes you not remember your dreams (used to happen to me)

nowadays i have "normal" (for me) dreams no matter if i smoke or not tho

also this is lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejh_Dt3z46Q

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

oddium posted:

yeah you can uncrate a skirt and sell it for like $200

huh

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

but how much is the keyblade

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Macarius Wrench posted:

Post weed dreams are hosed up.

i like the weed before bed because with it i dream like a normal person and without it i dream like... well, me. everything is vivid af and really great or really awful. once it's fully flushed out of my system and i get back to my normal dream cycle, it feels like what people describe their post-weed dreams to be like. the human brain is the most hosed up organ brah :v:

FirstAidKite posted:

I've heard weed helps out with PTSD stuff. If I was able to get it legally and covered by insurance, then I imagine that'd be pretty useful if I could choose a non-smoking option like just...well, consuming it in something else lol

kite if you like pm me on discord i can tell u how to prep some really basic weed butter in 60min and then you can cook anything that your heart desires as long as it has butter in

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Sep 22, 2017

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Woke up, walked on the treadmill for an hour. Here's to regular exercise from now on!

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
The White Dragon is a known fed and will put your rear end in federal prison sooner than say good-day.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I bought a nice vape (spent around ~100) about a year ago and it's been a great investment. Easy clean-up, fast charging, better for my lungs. I'd recommend.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Smoke weed and play video games every day. Gonna go home and play some video games and smoke some weed, USA USA USA!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

homeless snail posted:

yeah all that stuff is in the game, the space stage is the part that people tend to like the most.

IDK I replayed spore a couple months ago and its fine, people talk it up like its the worst poo poo ever but it never really was. its just a kinda shallow minigame collection with a few interesting ideas that weren't executed particularly well

I hated Spore because it starts off awesome but then halfway through the game it becomes a lovely genre that I hate (RTS games barf).

PantsBandit posted:

I bought a nice vape (spent around ~100) about a year ago and it's been a great investment. Easy clean-up, fast charging, better for my lungs. I'd recommend.

I saw a guy with a vape in a grocery store the other day who walked right by two people and puffed out a bunch of vape smoke or w/e and it flew all into their faces and they just looked at this guy like :wtf:, and there's a guy at my local one who is a regular who always vapes in line waiting to pay for his groceries and blows his gross vape poo poo everywhere so in conclusion I hope vaping gets banned or super restricted in the same way cigarettes are inside.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Macaluso posted:

I hated Spore because it starts off awesome but then halfway through the game it becomes a lovely genre that I hate (RTS games barf).

I saw a guy with a vape in a grocery store the other day who walked right by two people and puffed out a bunch of vape smoke or w/e and it flew all into their faces and they just looked at this guy like :wtf:, and there's a guy at my local one who is a regular who always vapes in line waiting to pay for his groceries and blows his gross vape poo poo everywhere so in conclusion I hope vaping gets banned or super restricted in the same way cigarettes are inside.

Oh I only vape pot and I only do that because it's healthier and easier than smoking it. Weed vaporizers are actually inherently different because they are vaporizing actual herb, not oil. The whole e-cigarette thing is super weird and dumb.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Macaluso posted:

I hope vaping gets banned or super restricted in the same way cigarettes are inside.

weed vape is a little different from vape pen vape unless you homebrew cartridges which afaik is a great way to lost fingat, so if you ever wanna dodge a draft owen meany-style...

the core principle of weed vapes is that you load it with shredded herb and then heat it to a certain temperature that's below combustion but above the sublimation point of thc/cbd. if you blow any billows of smoke, you've done something terribly, terribly wrong

PantsBandit posted:

i have like three vaporgenies lol

one is a weird (but good) japanese knockoff that's basically the same thing except made by someone's grandma in tochigi instead of new hampshire

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Sep 22, 2017

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

hello is it pii-cross or pick-ross

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

oddium posted:

hello is it pii-cross or pick-ross

yes

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

piss cross

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

pie-cross.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I bought a pax. Its cool but too spensive. #vapelife

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
I bought a vaporizer but it made smoking weed less enjoyable :shrug:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah i agree. You get a wider range of brain chemicals when you burn it for sure. but then at the end of the month or whatever you make rice krispie treats with the left over brown leavings that you simmer in butter and strain and thats fun. Coco krispies mask the flavor best imo

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Real hurthling! posted:

Coco krispies mask the flavor best imo

strain the plant matter out of your butter you goddamn barbarian

lemon squares actually works with the weedy flavour

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Vaping is loving stupid.

-Me, a cigar smoker

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The White Dragon posted:

strain the plant matter out of your butter you goddamn barbarian

lemon squares actually works with the weedy flavour

I already said i did

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

al-azad posted:

I had a dream where I was constantly yo-yoing a turd at Disney World, ran into the bathroom, hovered over the toilet, and just a geyser of doodoo just streams out my rear end.

I think what triggered it was playing Corpse Party, a game where characters plainly describe themselves making GBS threads in fear.

i like that people found that so unbelievable that they thought the translation just sucked and was making dumb line changes and then it turned out it's actually totally accurate

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

touch fuzzy...get dizzy :D

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Real hurthling! posted:

I bought a pax. Its cool but too spensive. #vapelife

pax 2 and same

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Why would you wanna alter your state of mind when you play video games, they should be experienced in their purest form with no distractions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Yeah, winners drink instead.

• Locked thread