Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

clockwork automaton posted:

This is tangentially related to D&D, but has anyone played Noisy Person Cards which was a game to help learn different voices for GMing? It used to be a free game with the PDF that you could go print out, but I can't find it anywhere.

https://m.toysrus.com/product?productId=123462946

James and Kat gotta make that kush. I imagine part of the contract for selling at Toys R Us is that they can't give it out for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Krinkle posted:

Thought experiment: What is terminal velocity for a naked kenku that fell off a cloud castle at cruising altitude?

(We broke out physics equations and coefficients and came to 3d6)

I actually figured this out years and years ago for conjuring a whale while using fly , you need the coefficient of friction and good luck figuring that out. somewhere between a hawk and a guy with a glider suit on is my guess, so the terminal velocity isn't going to be that high

then we tried to convert it to damage based on joules of energy vs dumb munitions and it went to hell

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Damage cap for falling damage is 20d6, and damage scales linearly with height. Obviously, this means a human reaches terminal velocity after falling 200 feet.

...I started doing some math based on this, but then I realized that falling is nearly instantaneous, only taking enough time for reactions to be used and leaving enough for the faller to take actions and movement before and after their fall. This of course means that the velocity of your fall scales linearly with height, but it's too fast to really matter because it happens in a split second anyway. The damage cap is thus because the wizard who created gravity didn't want to use a higher-level spell slot.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
isn't the damage cap the damage the char takes, not that he does to whatever he lands on? heh

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

So it's my turn to take over GM duties and I thought it'd be fun to run a proper D&D campaign which we haven't done for ages.

Normally I run my own stuff, but I'm quite busy at the moment and don't really have the time to do a lot of writing so I thought I'd just pick up one of the Campaign books, Curse of Strahd, the new Tomb of Annhilation etc.

Is there a thread concensus on which is the better and more fun of these?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Deptfordx posted:

So it's my turn to take over GM duties and I thought it'd be fun to run a proper D&D campaign which we haven't done for ages.

Normally I run my own stuff, but I'm quite busy at the moment and don't really have the time to do a lot of writing so I thought I'd just pick up one of the Campaign books, Curse of Strahd, the new Tomb of Annhilation etc.

Reviews are very positive on Tomb of Annihilation and I'm prepping to run it very soon. I like everything I am seeing. It may not be for all groups -- it intentionally has its difficulty dial set way up. There's a strict but soft time limit, and death is permanent. The whole framework of the adventure is the PCs are exploring a very dangerous and uncharted jungle. Then while deep within said jungle, an extremely dangerous multi-level dungeon which was expressly designed by its creator to lure, trap, and kill adventurers. It also isn't very linear, so the flow has to be managed quite a bit by the DM. It is very well written and the theme is super rad, however.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Deptfordx posted:

ToA is good so far as a player, Storm King's Thunder was fun but we kind of murderhoboed our way through it, Curse of Strahd is great if you want the gothic horror vibe, and Out of the Abyss was a good time if you like the underdark and survival. You probably don't want to use any of the older ones.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

SettingSun posted:

Reviews are very positive on Tomb of Annihilation and I'm prepping to run it very soon. I like everything I am seeing. It may not be for all groups -- it intentionally has its difficulty dial set way up. There's a strict but soft time limit, and death is permanent. The whole framework of the adventure is the PCs are exploring a very dangerous and uncharted jungle. Then while deep within said jungle, an extremely dangerous multi-level dungeon which was expressly designed by its creator to lure, trap, and kill adventurers. It also isn't very linear, so the flow has to be managed quite a bit by the DM. It is very well written and the theme is super rad, however.

The Jungle is also full of Undead, Dinosaurs and Undead Dinosaurs.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
There's a t-rex that can't stop vomiting

Edit: and you fight the vomit

Harvey Mantaco fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Sep 23, 2017

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!

Harvey Mantaco posted:

There's a t-rex that can't stop vomiting

Edit: and you fight the vomit

An allegory for modern life if I ever heard one.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
ToA takes all the fun stupid of older D&D and a good deal of modern 'maybe D&D doesn't need to be punishingly random and confrontational to be fun' and makes a genuinely excellent product that involves zombie t-rex puke

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

sexpig by night posted:

ToA takes all the fun stupid of older D&D and a good deal of modern 'maybe D&D doesn't need to be punishingly random and confrontational to be fun' and makes a genuinely excellent product that involves zombie t-rex puke

And the T Rex puke is zombies.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
And the t-rex is a zombie

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

A good deal of the description of the only real city Chult has is devoted to dinosaur races. Rules on both betting and racing as jockeys.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

SettingSun posted:

A good deal of the description of the only real city Chult has is devoted to dinosaur races. Rules on both betting and racing as jockeys.

I posted the rules for it. One or two pages ago.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The image of the Zombie T Rex itself is pretty awesome.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

In Roll20 I'm having a little recurring trouble with the purchased assets. All the tokens for say, horses, or stray cats, or anything, I tell the party "okay they're yours now" but like this lil' screenshot shows, the who-gets-to-control-it box has been replaced by a "dont' worry about it" kind of padlock I am not sure how to undo.

I had them rescue a hostage at one point and was completely unable to relinquish movement control to anyone, when I was able to with assets I created myself, before, with ease.

I guess I could open up the horse's character sheet and set it to 'can be controlled by', etc, but now I've given control to every horse, ever, to one player. This is too much authority to give away for convenience.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Remove the "Represents character" thing to make it a generic pog, then assign it to a character.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
If you shift+doubleclick on it, you will own the properties of the thing it represents instead of the token itself, and that's the level on which you want to turn on control. If they control the character "cat", they can move any token that represents a cat.

This means that if you give a guy control of goblin, he can control all goblins but thats not a big deal because players probably aren't gonna abuse that. You can make a copy of goblin instead and give them control of that if you're worried.

One thing I also like to do is, if I'm giving control of an npc is, hit the checkbox on their character sheet so that rolls aren't whispered to the GM. This ist he default for monsters but its fun if everyone can see their player-controlled npc's rolls.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Sep 23, 2017

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Shift Double Click was such a useful thing I was suprised I never knew about it for years.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Hey are folks, hope it's cool for me to dump a post like this here

My board game group of friends learned that I've got a history of DMimg (I ran a Star Wars d20 campaign with more or less the same crew all through college and also DM'd in high school) and they're interest in trying D&D since they're all nerds who have never experienced it. I know they're all game to give it an honest go, but I don't want to create an entire thing only to get burned by people dropping out, so when we do run I'm gonna use the Storm Giants campaign and home brew my own stuff along with it

So all that said what I'm wondering is: does anyone have a great "micro micro adventure" that has basically everything a player would need to know to decide if they want to commit to a full campaign? On the first night I figure we'll use D&D Beyond to make characters (what an awesome tool, it seems) and then do this micro dungeon if such a thing exists, and then end the session so people get a feel for it but can drop if it turns out they're not into it

I could probably design a pretty big standard dungeon crawl but I figure someone has probably designed something more elegant. I'm ideally looking for multi-faceted challenges and some combat so people get the idea that in a tabletop game you can do whatever

Does such a thing exist?

Also while I'm asking, apart from the stuff in the OP, anything a former 3.5e DM needs to know about 5e? And any good "this didn't exist in 2009" digital tools you couldn't live without?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Waffles Inc. posted:

Hey are folks, hope it's cool for me to dump a post like this here

My board game group of friends learned that I've got a history of DMimg (I ran a Star Wars d20 campaign with more or less the same crew all through college and also DM'd in high school) and they're interest in trying D&D since they're all nerds who have never experienced it. I know they're all game to give it an honest go, but I don't want to create an entire thing only to get burned by people dropping out, so when we do run I'm gonna use the Storm Giants campaign and home brew my own stuff along with it

So all that said what I'm wondering is: does anyone have a great "micro micro adventure" that has basically everything a player would need to know to decide if they want to commit to a full campaign? On the first night I figure we'll use D&D Beyond to make characters (what an awesome tool, it seems) and then do this micro dungeon if such a thing exists, and then end the session so people get a feel for it but can drop if it turns out they're not into it

I could probably design a pretty big standard dungeon crawl but I figure someone has probably designed something more elegant. I'm ideally looking for multi-faceted challenges and some combat so people get the idea that in a tabletop game you can do whatever

Does such a thing exist?

Also while I'm asking, apart from the stuff in the OP, anything a former 3.5e DM needs to know about 5e? And any good "this didn't exist in 2009" digital tools you couldn't live without?

One of the Yawning Portal Dungeons like the Sunless Citidal or Forge of Fury could likely fill this role. Phandelver is not a dungeon but it's a pretty decent start point as well.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yawning Portal Dungeons

Naming a book after Mearl's butt was really poor form imo.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Do Lost Mines of Phandelver up to the Bugbear dude at the end of the cave. That should take the better part of an evening. If they like it, keep playing.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

Do Lost Mines of Phandelver up to the Bugbear dude at the end of the cave. That should take the better part of an evening. If they like it, keep playing.

This but also be careful as the bugbear and lead up goblin fights can crush a level 1 party so don't be afraid to remove monsters if its looking too hard.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
I'd suggest playing that session and a Phandalin session so they can get a feel for roleplaying in addition to combat.

5e is basically 3.5e-lite so you'll be fine. Definitely pull monster punches at level 1.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Back near release I remember making a really stupid decision. Namely me already having been wounded by a Goblin arrow and having been hit by the Bugbear once decided to try and attack a different enemy other then the bugbear who was pretty beat up at that point. And decided to eat an opportunity attack from him. Trusting in my relatively high AC. Naturally he hit me and did like 15 damage. Which given my guy was already beat up gave him on the mark enough damage to insta kill me.

Nether the less it was fun. As it was less poor luck on my end then stupidly pushing it.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

gradenko_2000 posted:

This. The entire Mines of Phandelver adventure was awesome I thought, and it sort of has bite sized sessions paced apart and throws a little bit of everything at the party to show them the game. I think in it's entirety it took about 20 hours or so to complete.

It's still one my favorite adventures I've gone through.

As mentioned above, 5e is a very streamlined version of D&D.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Sep 25, 2017

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Waffles Inc. posted:

Don't roll for ability scores, use the array. The first level get crit and die problem is still a thing, be prepared to pull punches. A lot of stuff looks like 3.5 and isn't, be careful not to make too many assumptions based on previous experience. The game is... poorly designed, so if you can't remember a rule just make something up and check later, it might not exist or only exist as a tweet that directly contradicts other rules. If someone wants to play a ranger use the UA ranger the base ranger is trash.

MTV Crib Death
Jun 21, 2012
I told my fat girlfriend I wanted to bang skinny chicks and now I'm wondering why my relationship is garbage.
For new players pretend monster crits don't happen. Also, feel free to remove rooms and entire encounters from dungeons if it's dragging. The speed of the game is often a problem and modern audiences expect a satisfying beginning middle and end. There's no story you can tell in 7 hours that couldn't be better told in 3.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

MTV Crib Death posted:

There's no story you can tell in 7 hours that couldn't be better told in 3.
Peter Jackson just got really angry and doesn't know why.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
So about 25 minutes into Curse of Strahd and my players are all calling one player daddy in and out of character. I think I'm gonna have to give up on all my grand plans of making it a tense and atmospheric adventure and take it campy. I'm still finding my footing as a DM, but we're having fun and I'm having fun, which is what's important in the end I suppose.

Death House is a pretty fun intro, though the sparse main floors make it a pretty disappointing haunted house compared to Mad Manor of Astabar which we ran earlier, which had little things to find and fun encounters in pretty much every single room.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That was one of the problems with 4e's Keep on the Shadowfell.

There were a lot of extra encounters that were probably intended to introduce game mechanics but were mostly dead ends that wasted party resources without advancing the story.

Plus ulimited kobold shifting...

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Thanks for the advice folks! I just snagged Phandelver

Cheers

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Splicer posted:

Don't roll for ability scores, use the array. The first level get crit and die problem is still a thing, be prepared to pull punches. A lot of stuff looks like 3.5 and isn't, be careful not to make too many assumptions based on previous experience. The game is... poorly designed, so if you can't remember a rule just make something up and check later, it might not exist or only exist as a tweet that directly contradicts other rules. If someone wants to play a ranger use the UA ranger the base ranger is trash.

I have yet to see the base ranger be as awful as it's described in these forums. We have one in our weekly campaign and we're all level 9. He easily out damages everyone in our party including the smite happy Paladin with Tinderstrike. Those expert feats are no joke. When he gets high initiative, either half the creatures are already dead, or just barely hanging on. Everyone else is just clean up crew for the ranger.

While there are a couple of poor choices in 5e, I wouldn't say the game itself is poorly designed. It's about 95% fantastic, 5% this could have been done better.

Unless you're looking for piles and piles (And piles) of customization, then something like Pathfinder would be better suited for it.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Philthy posted:

I have yet to see the base ranger be as awful as it's described in these forums. We have one in our weekly campaign and we're all level 9. He easily out damages everyone in our party including the smite happy Paladin with Tinderstrike. Those expert feats are no joke. When he gets high initiative, either half the creatures are already dead, or just barely hanging on. Everyone else is just clean up crew for the ranger.

While there are a couple of poor choices in 5e, I wouldn't say the game itself is poorly designed. It's about 95% fantastic, 5% this could have been done better.

Unless you're looking for piles and piles (And piles) of customization, then something like Pathfinder would be better suited for it.

If the base Ranger is outdamaging the Paladin in your party, especially with a +2 magical 1d4+2d6 weapon, then that Paladin must be doing something really, really wrong.

That said, PHB Hunter is functional, but suffers from being a worse Fighter. It gets a bad deal on the combat potential it sacrifices for the sake of some utility between spellcasting and it's two main abilities (Favored Enemy and Natural Explorer). It does okayish 5-8 but then Fighter and Paladin clearly start coming out ahead from the compounding synergy of their class features, and then bam powerspike at 11th while Ranger gets loving nothing.

PHB Beastmaster is hot garbage.

I won't go into 5e bad design.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Conspiratiorist posted:

If the base Ranger is outdamaging the Paladin in your party, especially with a +2 magical 1d4+2d6 weapon, then that Paladin must be doing something really, really wrong.

Using crossbows and associate feats is him doing 3 shots every round with +17 damage per shot on top of rolled damage.Throw in a hunters mark for the first round and it's even more. The only way the Paladin is keeping up is when he crits.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Oh, if he's doing CBE+SS then yeah, if the Paladin isn't optimizing with PAM they're never going to catch up. If they do they have better burst.

A Fighter doing the same CBE+SS combo is better.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Philthy posted:

Using crossbows and associate feats is him doing 3 shots every round with +17 damage per shot on top of rolled damage.Throw in a hunters mark for the first round and it's even more. The only way the Paladin is keeping up is when he crits.

Your ranger is not strong - their singular feat is.

There are two feats that radically change the game, and it's the two -hit +damage ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
We got some previews from Xanathar's Guide.

Namely character names. (Of which we get the Dragonborn section.) http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/DnDXL2017_RewardNames.pdf

And Random Encounters. (We get the entire Arctic Section and levels 1-4 of the coast section.) http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/DnDXL2017_RewardEnc.pdf