Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Calaveron posted:

Never got an apple TV before, what're the odds I can just walk into an apple store and walk out with one this Saturday

Pretty likely actually, it’s never a line generator like the iPhone, and i don’t think it’s going to drive current ATV owners to run Out and upgrade immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Minidust posted:

Does the new Control Center remote in iOS11 only work with the Apple TV 4/K? I can’t get it to see my ATVs (3, the small black 1080p type) and I’m wondering if that’s why. Airplay and the old Remote app work fine so I know my Wi-Fi is good.

I can see both of my 4th-gen AppleTVs and my 3rd-gen AppleTV when I open the Control Center remote.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Pretty likely actually, it’s never a line generator like the iPhone, and i don’t think it’s going to drive current ATV owners to run Out and upgrade immediately.

Yeah, I wouldn't expect them to sell out. Best Buy will likely also have them if they somehow do sell out.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Duckman2008 posted:

Sold out faster than the iPhone 8! Before morning. But it probably won’t be an issue.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

OGB posted:

I think like with other things, Apple figured they’d brute force it by way of their size and importance. Not so much...

"Ping".

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Minidust posted:

Does the new Control Center remote in iOS11 only work with the Apple TV 4/K? I can’t get it to see my ATVs (3, the small black 1080p type) and I’m wondering if that’s why. Airplay and the old Remote app work fine so I know my Wi-Fi is good.

I came here to ask the same thing, and I'm having the same issue. I have two 3rd gens too and neither shows up there (it just spins forever and never finds anything). Both appear in Remote.app and in the airplay widget.

Thwomp posted:

I can see both of my 4th-gen AppleTVs and my 3rd-gen AppleTV when I open the Control Center remote.

Weird.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
It shows my 4th gen, but there’s no volume controls?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Doesn't the volume control just send out an IR blast? There's no way for the iPhone to replicate that.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Volume control works without line of sight for me, I'm pretty sure.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

EL BROMANCE posted:

Doesn't the volume control just send out an IR blast? There's no way for the iPhone to replicate that.

If you're using CEC it will(can) send it over HDMI from the AppleTV. At least it used to. Last time I experimented with CEC that option was no longer there, but I suspect it's a setting on my TV I need to set after I upgraded it to Marshmallow.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/09/21/itunes-4k-content-streaming-only/

Confirmed my fear. Going to suck for people with data caps or slow connections. Or who have multiple people in their house who use the computer at the same time.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

badjohny posted:

Confirmed my fear. Going to suck for people with data caps or slow connections. Or who have multiple people in their house who use the computer at the same time.

I have a feeling it's a licensing concession to not raise the price for 4K like the studios wanted.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It's not really a surprise in the slightest to be honest.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Thwomp posted:

hmm, are you sure? Because a guy on reddit (yeah, yeah...) just directed me to this:

I'm thinking maybe the presence of a 4th gen allows the others to be recognized somehow, but perhaps you can't actually control the 3rd gens?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

badjohny posted:

Man I got a 1tb cap with Comcast at 150mbps down. Since I steam everything (I have PS Vue instead of cable) I've hit that cap several times already this summer (4K TV with 4K apps plus kids with PS4s). Some company called WOW just laid last week 1gb down lines in my subdivision with no data cap (plus cheaper than Comcast). This makes me tempted to give them a try.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

nate fisher posted:

Man I got a 1tb cap with Comcast at 150mbps down. Since I steam everything (I have PS Vue instead of cable) I've hit that cap several times already this summer (4K TV with 4K apps plus kids with PS4s). Some company called WOW just laid last week 1gb down lines in my subdivision with no data cap (plus cheaper than Comcast). This makes me tempted to give them a try.

Same setup with Comcast *and* TV. I get very close every month and I have a feeling I'm going to get to the point where I pony up the extra $50 to remove the data cap.

And I'm jelly about WOW. They are literally right across the street, but don't have any plans to expand to the poles on my block. (one side of the street is one town, my side is another).

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Don't forget you can ignore the caps twice in a 12 month period.

So my history for the last few months basically goes

June: 960gb
July: 970gb
August: 9tb

And I think it's a $50/m upgrade to get unmetered transfers. I'd do it if I wasn't content enough with my 'go hog wild once every 6 months' approach.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

EL BROMANCE posted:

Don't forget you can ignore the caps twice in a 12 month period.

So my history for the last few months basically goes

June: 960gb
July: 970gb
August: 9tb

And I think it's a $50/m upgrade to get unmetered transfers. I'd do it if I wasn't content enough with my 'go hog wild once every 6 months' approach.

Yeah it is $50/m which is the same as the max overage fee @ 250GB over the 1TB. So if my overage is only 200GB or less, it's more cost effective to just pay the penalty. I'll be keeping an eye on it. I don't necessarily trust their meter, but it's actually been pretty close to my pfSense metrics from month to month (like within 10GB or so around +/- 1.5%). I've been pretty consistent at 900-920 GB per month, so we'll see what the future brings.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Aw poo poo yeah, Mediacom is finally in the single sign on thing with this update.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Vince MechMahon posted:

Aw poo poo yeah, Mediacom is finally in the single sign on thing with this update.
This is great news if I didn't have a loving 250gb cap on their poo poo service.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Bill Barber posted:

This is great news if I didn't have a loving 250gb cap on their poo poo service.

I'm using my parents login cause I'm a poor millennial. I have uncapped comcast that me and my three room mates split.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Will ATV be in stores today?

I’m considering rolling the dice and walking into the Apple Store to try and pick one up. But not if the actual release day is not today...

Can someone confirm?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Minidust posted:

hmm, are you sure? Because a guy on reddit (yeah, yeah...) just directed me to this:

I'm thinking maybe the presence of a 4th gen allows the others to be recognized somehow, but perhaps you can't actually control the 3rd gens?

I just double checked and didn't see it. Very weird. I swear I saw it pop up before.

dexter6 posted:

Will ATV be in stores today?

I’m considering rolling the dice and walking into the Apple Store to try and pick one up. But not if the actual release day is not today...

Can someone confirm?

Apple's website tells me the AppleTV 4k is available for purchase today at every Apple StoreTown Square in my area.

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Sep 22, 2017

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Thwomp posted:

I just double checked and didn't see it. Very weird. I swear I saw it pop up before.

I’ve had my gen3 pop up in the list, but my gen3 only gets used for mirroring presentations once in a while and hasn’t been plugged into power for months—these are likely symptoms of the same issue.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Thwomp posted:

Apple's website tells me the AppleTV 4k is available for purchase today at every Apple StoreTown Square in my area.
I was able to walk in and buy the last AppleTV 4K they had. Time to cancel my order.....

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The stores around me all have 32 GB models for immediate pickup, but no 64 GB until the 20th of October. I have a 32 GB arriving, but probably should have gotten 64 since it's only a $20 difference. Oh well not a huge deal, really.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
How can you tell if the movies you have are available in 4k? I only have a dozen or so, most of them for the kids and i don't see anything about it in itunes.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It's really only $20 now? I can't remember how much extra I paid for the gen 4 64gb but it was definitely more. It wasn't worth it and with the 'streaming only' nature of the 4K stuff, unless you had iTMS movies you wanted on the ATV itself it's not really essential sounding on the 4K box either.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began
^^^ gen4 was a $50 premium. Frankly, I don't know if I'll ever use the extra storage (probably not) but I suppose there's a chance Plex or Kodi (assuming I can sideload it in iOS11 via Xcode) might be able to use the storage in some way. For the difference, I wasn't worried about it.

Don't trust the Apple website if you want a 64GB in store. It seems like all of them show pickup for 10/20ish but I walked in and got one off the shelf.

shoplifter fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Sep 22, 2017

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
:lol: it doesn't support YouTube in 4K yet.

Otherwise, it seems nice. Haven't tried deploying apps to it yet (you have to do that over Wifi now since they got rid of the USB port) but I'm interested to see how well emulators work. The one 4K HDR movie I have in iTunes looked great.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Will there even be a way of sideloading without the USB port anymore?

Plex has never used the storage, and given they don't seem to care to do sync on anything other than mobile devices (to keep content providers happy perhaps? Not sure), I'm not expecting to ever see that change for a device that generally stays in one place. I wish it existed for laptops though.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

EL BROMANCE posted:

They would be insane to not let developers deploy to actual hardware. I need to test poo poo on real devices, the simulator is not enough.

But it's Apple so :v:

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

How can you tell if the movies you have are available in 4k? I only have a dozen or so, most of them for the kids and i don't see anything about it in itunes.

Check in iTunes. On the screen where you either choose to download or stream the movie there will be a 4K tag next to the HD, Dolby, and CC ones. No tag, no 4K.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Drastic Actions posted:

:lol: it doesn't support YouTube in 4K yet.

Otherwise, it seems nice. Haven't tried deploying apps to it yet (you have to do that over Wifi now since they got rid of the USB port) but I'm interested to see how well emulators work. The one 4K HDR movie I have in iTunes looked great.

YouTube is a third party app so it's up to Google to add support.

I'm hoping Vudu adds support soon (and cuts their prices).

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

jabro posted:

Check in iTunes. On the screen where you either choose to download or stream the movie there will be a 4K tag next to the HD, Dolby, and CC ones. No tag, no 4K.

Cool, thanks. Looks like none of my movies have that. Which is a shame because the Pixar stuff would probably look glorious in 4k.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

EL BROMANCE posted:

As announced at WWDC all devices including aTV can sideload over the network on iOS 11 and the latest Xcode.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

kefkafloyd posted:

As announced at WWDC all devices including aTV can sideload over the network on iOS 11 and the latest Xcode.

Ah that's quite neat, my lack of usb-c cable actually probably stopped me from spending a weekend messing with some unofficial apps.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Cool, thanks. Looks like none of my movies have that. Which is a shame because the Pixar stuff would probably look glorious in 4k.

It depends more on the studio at this point. You'll reliably find 4k titles of movies released in the last couple of years but movies older than that are really spotty.

Much like the whole DVD to Blu-Ray transition, it'll take years for Hollywood to get all its content remastered in 4k.

Fun Fact: Pixar's first 4k release will be Cars 3 next month. I'm sure the rest will eventually make it to 4k and if you bought the HD versions already, they'll automatically get upgraded to 4k once the 4k version is available.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Thwomp posted:

It depends more on the studio at this point. You'll reliably find 4k titles of movies released in the last couple of years but movies older than that are really spotty.

Much like the whole DVD to Blu-Ray transition, it'll take years for Hollywood to get all its content remastered in 4k.

Fun Fact: Pixar's first 4k release will be Cars 3 next month. I'm sure the rest will eventually make it to 4k and if you bought the HD versions already, they'll automatically get upgraded to 4k once the 4k version is available.

For the older Pixar movies will they have to rerender everything again? I wonder what resolution the masters are rendered at. For films I assume it's just a matter of digitizing the master print at a higher rez, but it may actually be tougher with a CGI movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Toy Story probably won't look any better but some of later films might.

But I wouldn't put it past Disney to do something like re-render all the Toy Story movies using the updated TS4 assets for a theatrical re-release at some point in the future.