Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/samstein/status/911286349017288705

Like I loving trust McCain, but maybe...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/lachlan/status/911286426360311808

:siren:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

That does seem to be him planting his flag fairly unambiguously. Particularly given how much Graham is his bff 4eva.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Majorian posted:

That does seem to be him planting his flag fairly unambiguously. Particularly given how much Graham is his bff 4eva.

https://twitter.com/MatthewDurst/status/911286428214145026

MAVERICK

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Koalas March posted:

I feel weird and uncomfortable when people act like the left has a problem with addressing racism too fiercely. Especially in a conversation where PoC are saying racism is not addressed enough. That's a false assumption. I think that is rooted in white fragility. You (the general 'you') perceive a small amount of racial stress and lash out and get defensive when it's not necessary.

poc: There is a problem with addressing racism in the leftist movement
yts: There is a problem with racist accusations in the leftist movement.

It's a silencing tactic.

The only part of this post I'd disagree with is the idea that it's a deliberate silencing tactic.

It certainly can be a tactic, but often what seems to happen here is

Step one: ignorant white dude (IGD) says something well-intentioned but that can be legitimately seen as tone deaf on racial issues ("let's bring back New Deal style housing programs!")

Step two: more aware PoC calls out the tone deafness: ("WTF, new deal style housing programs were hella racist")

Step three: IGD thinks he's being attacked out of left field (because he's tone deaf and didn't realize what the implication of his first post was and still doesn't) and gets defensive

Importantly, as that situation escalates, to third party observers (who are also probably tone deaf), it can look like the PoC is the person escalating and causing the drama, because the IGD is being superficially calm. This sort of mechanic is part of why "angry black man" is a stereotype (and probably part of why "hysterical" is a gendered insult aimed at women, too). Oppressed people are more sensitive (they have to be) and as a result pick up on poo poo the dominant class is simply unaware of, so even to well-intentioned third parties, their anger sometimes seems inexplicable or random.

So yeah, upshot, it's really important to actually listen to people of color and women and other oppressed groups when they're speaking about their experience, because they understand their own experience better than you do if you aren't them.

The flip side of that though is that us white people often really are clueless and ignorant to a degree that I think can seem bizarre to people of color. How can white people possibly be that ignorant? They had to have meant that poo poo! They knew what they were saying! No we didn't, we're honestly that deaf to ourselves. (A secondary debate then, of course, is whether or not the intent of a given dominant-class person matters, if their speech or their actions have harmful results.)

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Sep 22, 2017

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I think the big sticking point among leftists isn't the idea that racism exists on the left, because it sure as hell does exist and thus should and must be addressed, but that the liberal establishment and commentariat have a laser focus on the racism that does exist on the left while quietly sweeping the racism that does exist in the centre under the rug, and then using this purported moral superiority as a silencing and erasing tactic against the left.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

I'm so loving on edge from this health care poo poo that at first I thought this was him saying he was voting for it after all
christ

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

Koalas March posted:

Here's a good tip: If a PoC is telling you something is fishy or racist, you should at the very least lend them your ear and hear them out.

It's a weird, messy and inaccurate analogy but it's the same as you'd treat victims of sexual assault. It's a good idea to believe or at least treat them like they are telling the truth. if it comes out otherwise later, apologise and lay the blame on the accuser. it's always better to err on the side of caution.

In both cases the victim is met with suspicion and disbelief which leads to instances and actions going unreported.

I realize it's not a great analogy but for the record, I was a sexual assault victim and it's the best I could come up right now.

I understand this, it's why I didn't address the posts of accusations of racism further down. Like kekekela, I have an opinion on the name but I didn't think it was worth sharing that opinion. I meant to address this after your first reply, but that is why I, as you said, did not quote the later accusations of racism in context. I wasn't trying to override you and tell you what is and is not racism. I was pointing out how the derail started, why I thought it started, and what it did, not whether people eventually deserved being called out for things they said during the derail.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Importantly, as that situation escalates, to third party observers (who are also probably tone deaf), it can look like the PoC is the person escalating and causing the drama, because the IGD is being superficially calm.

While that's often true, I think one special ingredient in this whole discussion is that the person who brought up the racist aspect New Deal housing is noted troll boner confessor/Popular Thug Drink.

I agree 100% with everything else you and KM say though. I'm going to keep working on actually listening to PoCs, particularly when they call out examples of racism.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

quote:

Sep 22 2017

SENATOR JOHN McCAIN ON HEALTH CARE REFORM
Washington, D.C. ­– U.S. Senator John McCain (R-AZ) released the following statement today on health care reform:

“As I have repeatedly stressed, health care reform legislation ought to be the product of regular order in the Senate. Committees of jurisdiction should mark up legislation with input from all committee members, and send their bill to the floor for debate and amendment. That is the only way we might achieve bipartisan consensus on lasting reform, without which a policy that affects one-fifth of our economy and every single American family will be subject to reversal with every change of administration and congressional majority.

“I would consider supporting legislation similar to that offered by my friends Senators Graham and Cassidy were it the product of extensive hearings, debate and amendment. But that has not been the case. Instead, the specter of September 30th budget reconciliation deadline has hung over this entire process.

“We should not be content to pass health care legislation on a party-line basis, as Democrats did when they rammed Obamacare through Congress in 2009. If we do so, our success could be as short-lived as theirs when the political winds shift, as they regularly do. The issue is too important, and too many lives are at risk, for us to leave the American people guessing from one election to the next whether and how they will acquire health insurance. A bill of this impact requires a bipartisan approach.

“Senators Alexander and Murray have been negotiating in good faith to fix some of the problems with Obamacare. But I fear that the prospect of one last attempt at a strictly Republican bill has left the impression that their efforts cannot succeed. I hope they will resume their work should this last attempt at a partisan solution fail.

“I cannot in good conscience vote for the Graham-Cassidy proposal. I believe we could do better working together, Republicans and Democrats, and have not yet really tried. Nor could I support it without knowing how much it will cost, how it will effect insurance premiums, and how many people will be helped or hurt by it. Without a full CBO score, which won’t be available by the end of the month, we won’t have reliable answers to any of those questions.

“I take no pleasure in announcing my opposition. Far from it. The bill’s authors are my dear friends, and I think the world of them. I know they are acting consistently with their beliefs and sense of what is best for the country. So am I.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I'ma reiterate what was said in Trumpthread and remind everyone that it's not October yet and we should not treat this as a dead issue until then.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Office Pig posted:

I'ma reiterate what was said in Trumpthread and remind everyone that it's not October yet and we should not treat this as a dead issue until then.

No, but still, this is a very good sign.

\/\/\/you shouldn't say good things about McCain even after that, dude's a piece of poo poo\/\/\/

Majorian fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Sep 22, 2017

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I'm not going to say good things about McCain until this is actually is a real no vote on the floor.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Crabtree posted:

I'm not going to say good things about McCain until this is actually is a real no vote on the floor.

This statement makes it pretty likely that there's not gonna be a vote on the floor. McConnell isn't gonna put the thing up so it can fail even more predictably than last time

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Cerebral Bore posted:

that the liberal establishment and commentariat have a laser focus on the racism that does exist on the left while quietly sweeping the racism that does exist in the centre under the rug, and then using this purported moral superiority as a silencing and erasing tactic against the left.

Oh word, where does that happen?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

sit on my Facebook posted:

This statement makes it pretty likely that there's not gonna be a vote on the floor. McConnell isn't gonna put the thing up so it can fail even more predictably than last time

When has that stopped them from acting just so they can have the excuse that they did something? They're hosed either way if they fail, but they'll be more RINO than anything else if no one gets to show that they voted yes for repeal.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Majorian posted:

No, but still, this is a very good sign.

\/\/\/you shouldn't say good things about McCain even after that, dude's a piece of poo poo\/\/\/

Yeah this is good news but technically Collins seems to be saying "leaning no" and Murkowski is still waffling. So, good news for now, but. . ugh.

I mean hell we're going to be right back in t his mess next year.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

sit on my Facebook posted:

Such a strategic genius, that McConnell...:allears:

Seriously, my favorite part of this whole debacle is how much it proves that that dumb turtle doesn't know what the gently caress he's doing.

Yeah this is good news but technically Collins seems to be saying "leaning no" and Murkowski is still waffling. So, good news for now, but. . ugh.

I was under the impression that Collins was much more firm of a "no." Obviously that can change, though (or I could have just misheard).

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Nevvy Z posted:

In approximately one bazillion thinkpieces shat out in the past year and a half. Also every time you post.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

If this fails? No, we won't.

And if they are then you really know something is up with the Republican party because they're not doing this for health care.

Majorian posted:

I was under the impression that Collins was much more firm of a "no." Obviously that can change, though (or I could have just misheard).

A no vote on this would be much more costly for her at this juncture, I think. Yeah, there was a 'leaning no' sort of statement included in a release earlier but that was followed up with a much more confident stance of opposition.

ded redd fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Sep 22, 2017

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Cerebral Bore posted:

In approximately one bazillion thinkpieces shat out in the past year and a half. Also every time you post.

Quote me? loving liar.

People can't just be concerned about racism if they are on your side, they must be trying to subvert you!

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Iron Twinkie posted:

I'd like to believe that racism on the left is more based on ignorance and defensiveness than malice. Addressing it though, to understate terribly, is really loving hard. It's hard because a big part of that will be having people understand and accept their own internalized bigotry from being born and raised in the toxic soup of our culture. Like, I know there is a part of my brain that has a split second reaction when I see a black dude in a hoodie or feels weird about trans people because of how I was raised and I need to be conscious of it and acknowledge that it's there and also both dumb and bad so it impacts my thoughts and beliefs as little as possible. I mean I know at some point I'm going to say something or do something that is bad or hurtful despite my best intentions and will need to be called out on it in a way that's constructive and react in away that's compassionate and not defensive. It means people leaving themselves open, honest, and examine themselves in a way that people have trouble doing with their significant other so the idea of doing the same in a larger group can be completely, utterly terrifying.

The reason addressing it is hard is because people refuse to accept it. The problem is that when someone unconsciously does something racist and it's pointed out to them, they react super defensively. Instead of just saying "whoa, I didn't even notice. sorry, it wasn't intentional, I'll try to be conscious of it in the future", they deny that they've ever acted with the slightest bit of insensitivity, and often they go on to declare that the person pointing it out is just making it up as an excuse to attack them. That's why it's white fragility - instead of acknowledging that maybe they did say something that could make a PoC uncomfortable, they take it as a personal attack and lash out against the very idea that anyone could possibly think they said anything racist! Why can't people just own up to it, rather than insisting it's all part of the black/liberal/whatever conspiracy to take down whites/leftists/whatever? It's not a bad thing to condemn and apologize for racism. It's not an attack. Sure, the media might play it like that, but the media's gonna do what the media's gonna do. I don't think any amount of media malpractice is going to fool people of color who've heard the "how dare anyone accuse me of racism" song and dance a million loving times and would probably to hear a different tune for once.

Casey Finnigan posted:

Yeah five pages ago a dude was asking why the Democratic left couldn't just get it together to apologize for its racial missteps, while he wasn't asking that other groups that have had similar racial problems do the same. While I was saying that if you want one group to apologize and acknowledge racial issues they all should, and that calling on only the Sanders leftists to apologize for their racism and no one else plays into the narrative of leftists being white, privileged, Bernie Bros.

I also think that the very existence of certain particular loud racists/antisemites and their lovely views is not the responsibility of leaders of these movements, since they seem to exist in all movements. But issues like a tendency to ignore the voices of minorities are definitely the responsibility of movement leaders.

Every group has "similar racial problems". The only question is whether they insist on being in denial about it, or acknowledge their failings and make an honest effort to improve. Besides, your basic thesis that leftists are the only people being asked to apologize for "racial missteps" (:thunk:) is flat-out wrong. The Trump campaign was notoriously asked a great many times about their white supremacist followers, for instance, and the left has been attacking the center-left on a number of racist moves by Dem leadership that have come to light recently. Instead of whining about it, take the higher ground. Acknowledge and condemn racist behavior among individual leftists, make clear that such behavior is absolutely unacceptable...and then challenge Dem leadership to do the same thing about Hillary "prison slaves" Clinton and Nancy "DREAMer protesters are a Russian psyop" Pelosi.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

I'm counting Collins as a hard no. Murkowski has been too vague to be sure, but Collins has been pretty specific on the policy details, especially today explaining why she think the bill is so terrible.

I think she would prefer to not have to take a position, maybe hoping the parliamentarian kills it for her, but she'll vote no if she has to because she wants to be the next governor of Maine, and there's no way in hell that happens if she votes yes.

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

Cerebral Bore posted:

I think the big sticking point among leftists isn't the idea that racism exists on the left, because it sure as hell does exist and thus should and must be addressed, but that the liberal establishment and commentariat have a laser focus on the racism that does exist on the left while quietly sweeping the racism that does exist in the centre under the rug, and then using this purported moral superiority as a silencing and erasing tactic against the left.

This would fit better if the criticism from within wasn't brushed aside with whataboutism about liberal racism.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Nevvy Z posted:

Again, Symone Sanders has a really good op-ed on this.

LunarShadow posted:

This would fit better if the criticism from within wasn't brushed aside with whataboutism about liberal racism.

Who here is brushing it aside? Given the examples from the Symone Sanders piece that I linked before and just relinked in this very post, it seems to me that a lot of leftists are trying to tackle it head-on.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Main Paineframe posted:

"DREAMer protesters are a Russian psyop" Pelosi.

This is still one of the more batshit things that have happened this year, in case anyone had any illusions that we aren't fundamentally broken as a society in ways no one is really ready to admit.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Majorian posted:

Again, Symone Sanders has a really good op-ed on this.

Who here is brushing it aside? Given the examples from the Symone Sanders piece that I linked before and just relinked in this very post, it seems to me that a lot of leftists are trying to tackle it head-on.

The people saying "what about the racist liberals".

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Sep 22, 2017

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Nevvy Z posted:

You. Every time it comes up.

I don't brush it aside; I full-on acknowledge it and cite examples of leftist leaders and groups trying to deal with it. You don't seem to be able to acknowledge examples of centrist leaders being racist.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Nevvy Z posted:

If you actually made a good-faith effort to even acknowledge let alone adress the racism in the liberal establishment we wouldn't have to, you know?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Tell me, Mister McCain, why exactly your party opposed the Affordable Care Act after elements that your party requested were included in. How specifically was that opposition not based purely upon Party of No opposition but rather was based upon certain aspects of the law that I'm sure you can lay out your objections to.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/TopherSpiro/status/911287273655881731

"MCCAIN HAS FLIPPED" - Topher Spiro, smarty-pants.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Cerebral Bore posted:

If you actually made a good-faith effort to even acknowledge let alone adress the racism in the liberal establishment we wouldn't have to, you know?

Who are "you libs"? How am I one of them? How have I failed to address the racism of the liberal establishment?

gently caress off shithead.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

Absolutely nothing, except when people disingenuously demand others to apologize for actions of unrelated actors as a way of remove their credibility - again and again and again, no matter how many times the accused party had already made amends. Posters who insist on the collective guilt of all leftists are just trying to shut down a segment of the population by making any discussion they are part of about their supposed atonement, not about issues.

This is exactly what I'm talking about, because this is almost word-for-word what you might hear from a white "moderate" bitching about affirmative action. Just change "leftists" to "Americans", "Democrats", "Republicans", "white people", or whatever you want. This exact wording could come from a white college student whining that he shouldn't have to give up his privilege because other white people owned slaves once. "I didn't do the racist thing, why should I have to apologize or pay reparations for the actions of others who did" is a common refrain among center-right racists. So is "white people already apologized for slavery, why do we have to keep apologizing over and over again, isn't it all just water among the bridge?" And of course let's not forget "people who insist on the collective guilt of all white people are just trying to shut down us hard-working successful conservatives".

And the thing is, I know steinrokkan doesn't mean any of that and isn't thinking any of that. He's just thoughtlessly lashing out, because he sees accusations of racism and his first instinct is to get defensive and respond to it like it's an attack. But it's still virtually indistinguishable from a conservative thinkpiece about ending affirmative action. The minute an accusation of racism drives you to defensiveness and anger rather than to introspection and peaceful dialogue, you're done. That's all it takes.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Nevvy Z posted:

Whats wrong with that? What about them? they should be denounced and repudiated when they come forward with their bullshit.

As an aside, they also need to be called out for their support of their support of racist policies.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Nevvy Z posted:

Who are "you libs"? How am I one of them? How have I failed to address the racism of the liberal establishment?

You seem to reflexively brush away real, concrete examples of liberal leaders like Clinton running very deliberately racist campaigns - and then accuse leftists of doing the same thing with their leaders. (in spite of examples of some of them doing the complete opposite)

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

Cerebral Bore posted:

I mean, my solution is just wall the lot of them come the revolution. Joking aside, I ain't a liberal or a centrist. Default assumption ( at least for white folk)is they are racist until proven otherwise, and do call em out on their poo poo.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Nevvy Z posted:

People who subscribe to the well-known political ideology of liberalism. Because of your opinions. By not acknowledging that it even exists.

EDIT:

LunarShadow posted:

I mean, my solution is just wall the lot if them come the revolution. Joking aside, I ain't a liberal or a centrist. Default assumption ( at least for white folk)is they are racist until proven otherwise,

That's a wall I can support. I wasn't addressing said post to you though, just to Nevvy.

Cerebral Bore fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Sep 22, 2017

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
"you're a liberal" cries the self identified internet leftist, throwing a jar of hot piss on his opponent

"no, it is you who is the real liberal" cries the piss-soaked self identified internet leftist, returning the volley of piping hot urine

"why can't you decry the failure of liberal politics as much as you accuse us leftists of being racist?"

"why should i? i'm more leftist than you, liberal. as the real liberal here it is your burden to denounce the class traitor hillary clinton"

and so on they fought, long into the night

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

boner confessor posted:

"you're a liberal" cries the self identified internet leftist, throwing a jar of hot piss on his opponent

"no, it is you who is the real liberal" cries the piss-soaked self identified internet leftist, returning the volley of piping hot urine

"why can't you decry the failure of liberal politics as much as you accuse us leftists of being racist?"

"why should i? i'm more leftist than you, liberal. as the real liberal here it is your burden to denounce the class traitor hillary clinton"

and so on they fought, long into the night

Pretty much this.

Koalas March posted:

Whats wrong with that? What about them? they should be denounced and repudiated when they come forward with their bullshit.

As an aside, they also need to be called out for their support of their support of racist policies.

Of course they do. The upshot is no one should use "what about the other guys" as a deflection. Nevertheless, they persist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000
McCain is like a real live Darth Vader and he's tired of the emperor zapping him with all that lightning.

• Locked thread