Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I like goku the same amount still? What are some reasons you have soured on old-gold?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TenCentFang posted:

It's probably overdramatic, but Goku was my number one undisputed childhood hero and Super making me like him so much less has been legitimately depressing.

Goku hasn't actually acted any different in Super so that's pretty much entirely on you. Maybe the fact he isn't dead or incapacitated for 90% of the series?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

A Fancy Hat posted:

When the tournament is over I fully see him taking a mentorship role with the U6 Saiyans. Just a bunch of Super Saiyans training at Capsule Corp while proud Daddy Vegeta does his thing.

Would be a massive kick in the teeth to both versions of Trunks if he goes and does that. No time (or at best tough love) for his kid(s) but a planet of randoms gets a dedicated mentor figure?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

ImpAtom posted:

Goku hasn't actually acted any different in Super so that's pretty much entirely on you. Maybe the fact he isn't dead or incapacitated for 90% of the series?

Dragonball Goku went out of his way to help people.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

reignofevil posted:

I like goku the same amount still? What are some reasons you have soured on old-gold?

ImpAtom posted:

I've seen people guess that's responsible for the apparent shift, but really a big part of it is that I was grew up with the old English dub and stuff where Goku was more actively heroic. It's the same sort of warped perspective that resulted in me defending Broly in TYOOL 2017. I guess you could say what I actually dislike is the "real" Dragon Ball. Super also made me go back over the original with a more critical eye and I can't stop realizing all the tiny little problems that was always there in any version, to the point that I almost feel like I'm not even a Dragon Ball fan anymore but I literally can't imagine going through life not thinking about it at least three times a day, which goes to show just how big a thing it was to me as a kid. So yeah, it is on me to an extent, and I'll own up to that, but it's still painful.

YuYu Hakusho still holds up though and sometimes I rewatch the entire series. God, what a great anime.

TenCentFang fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Sep 22, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TenCentFang posted:

I've seen people guess that's responsible for the apparent shift, but really a big part of it is that I was grew up with the old English dub and stuff where Goku was more actively heroic.

Oh no, that's like 100% reasonable. A lot of people feel that way.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
At least Team Four Star is an unfailing light in the dark. Man, they understandably take awhile, but every episode is so worth it.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

TenCentFang posted:

At least Team Four Star is an unfailing light in the dark. Man, they understandably take awhile, but every episode is so worth it.

TFS Goku is also a weird, emotionally detached idiot though

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

multijoe posted:

TFS Goku is also a weird, emotionally detached idiot though

Yeah, but it's a parody.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Goku looks especially bad when everyone, even the literal android who said "I don't care about what happens to the universe" grow as people and shows some humanity or understand the gravitas of the situation. There is no one in this tournament so far who has looked like as much of an rear end as Goku has.

Super is lot less the story of Goku and a lot more "hey Goku maybe isn't too great"

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I mean this is basically Goku's Midlife Crisis: The Animated Television Series as someone else once said.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

They should kill Goku and bring him back only when they need him to deal with a world ending threat, like Godzilla

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Can’t beleive Jiren is actually going to kill Goku and Zeno will allow it because it’s cool

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

What I'd really love is if Goku was eliminated and now Vegeta has to step up, learning to actually work with people, being supremely stressed because he actually cares about his wife and 2 kids, and pushes through and unlocks a new form and wins the tournament while Goku has to watch from sidelines, as Vegeta is the best and a good family man.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Alan_Shore posted:

What I'd really love is if Goku was eliminated and now Vegeta has to step up, learning to actually work with people, being supremely stressed because he actually cares about his wife and 2 kids, and pushes through and unlocks a new form and wins the tournament while Goku has to watch from sidelines, as Vegeta is the best and a good family man.

Vegeta actually works with and alongside Gohan, and Goku doesn't understand why Gohan looks so happy.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Alan_Shore posted:

Well uh goku does not win the Jiren fight so maybe?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Coughing Hobo posted:

Vegeta actually works with and alongside Gohan, and Goku doesn't understand why Gohan looks so happy.

This is my new wish.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

vegeta has already worked with people on his own team more than goku has. he also has the most elims and is basically the tournament mvp

this, and the fact that he is vegeta, is how you know he's gonna job insanely hard at some point in the near future

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Manatee Cannon posted:

vegeta has already worked with people on his own team more than goku has. he also has the most elims and is basically the tournament mvp

this, and the fact that he is vegeta, is how you know he's gonna job insanely hard at some point in the near future

At this point I think Vegeta is going to stick it out longer than anyone expects

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Kashuno posted:

At this point I think Vegeta is going to stick it out longer than anyone expects

Given the rules of the tournament, I wonder if we're going to end it with a hand full of people not eliminated or if it'll end with one sole survivor.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I can see Big Veg taking the L to protect Goku from Jiren after accepting Limit Breaker Gokes is the only way to win the tourney.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

sassassin posted:

Would be a massive kick in the teeth to both versions of Trunks if he goes and does that. No time (or at best tough love) for his kid(s) but a planet of randoms gets a dedicated mentor figure?

He could train them as a day job. Lord knows he's probably just lounging around the house most of the day anyway. Not like He needs an income when his wife could buy the planet three times over.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Prediction, Goku will lose to Jiren but still win the tournament by having the most fighters left in the end. Unsatisfied by winning this way, Goku will use the Super Dragon Balls to wish for all the fighters from the other universes to be brought back in their universe so he can have another chance to fight them. They will all be pissed at Goku because, while they're alive again, everyone they ever knew and loved from their universes will still be erased from existence.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
It'd be funny if they wished the universes back, and then Zeno just immediately erased them again.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

TenCentFang posted:

It'd be funny if they wished the universes back, and then Zeno just immediately erased them again.

Nah they're setting up the Zenos to split duty what with the counting gag.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Nah they're setting up the Zenos to split duty what with the counting gag.

It never occurred to me that the reason Zeno thinks there are too many universes is that it's hard for them to count that high.

Kill them all, Goku.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I can see Big Veg taking the L to protect Goku from Jiren after accepting Limit Breaker Gokes is the only way to win the tourney.

Highly doubtful based on episode titles past the special

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Kashuno posted:

Just because Jiren and Hit are gonna fight doesn't necessarily mean Goku loses. It could end in a stalemate, if anything.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Kashuno posted:

Ooh i hadn't seen those.

No chance in hell Goku is ringed out in the special even if he initially loses to Jiren.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Rhonne posted:

Given the rules of the tournament, I wonder if we're going to end it with a hand full of people not eliminated or if it'll end with one sole survivor.

I'd imagine at the end you'll have at least two universes remaining with at least two members, just because there's an as-of-yet unexplained gap in the rules dealing with multiple winning universes and who gets the wish when there's more than one person on the winning team. Given the rule shenanigans in the U6 vs U7 tournament I doubt that's unintentional.

Also can someone just link the new episode titles or something so we're all on the same page here?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

seiferguy posted:

Just because Jiren and Hit are gonna fight doesn't necessarily mean Goku loses. It could end in a stalemate, if anything.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Ooh i hadn't seen those.

No chance in hell Goku is ringed out in the special even if he initially loses to Jiren.

No way it ends in a stalemate and then Hit immediately fights Jiren. I doubt Goku gets ringed out in this part of the tournament, let alone in the special, but no chance it's a tie

a cartoon duck posted:

I'd imagine at the end you'll have at least two universes remaining with at least two members, just because there's an as-of-yet unexplained gap in the rules dealing with multiple winning universes and who gets the wish when there's more than one person on the winning team. Given the rule shenanigans in the U6 vs U7 tournament I doubt that's unintentional.

Also can someone just link the new episode titles or something so we're all on the same page here?

111 - Hit Vs Jiren!!!! 112- Vegeta's Resolve!!! 113 - Fighting Maniac Saiyan Battle

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Kashuno posted:

No way it ends in a stalemate and then Hit immediately fights Jiren. I doubt Goku gets ringed out in this part of the tournament, let alone in the special, but no chance it's a tie

Yeah, agreed. Jiren's probably going to beat Goku and Goku gets saved from ringing out and Jiren doesn't notice he wasn't ringed out because who knows and then Goku chills out for a little bit off screen and sees a weakness while Jiren runs through the rest of the universes, including Hit, obviously.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
If at one point Vegeta isn't resolved to give it his all to make sure his newborn daughter is able to live a full and happy life, I'd be very surprised. It seems like the obvious climax for his character arc especially if it turns out Goku's jobbing to Jiren this time round

just bob
Sep 6, 2017

by Reene

sassassin posted:

Goku, who backs up his pure love of fighting with bullying and selfishness and neglectful parenting (all in a sweet hundred year old lady's voice).

He really is a bully isn't he. He's very passive aggressive with his little quips like "hey youre pretty good but watch this" and "if you trained more you could be really powerful." Like anyone wants to hear that poo poo when the script says "lose to this guy for your paycheck".

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I figure Goku could be ringed out but it probably means the tournament proper's gonna dissolve into chaos so he can get back in the mix.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

What are the synopses for the next three episodes? I guess they cover the special right

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

TheHan posted:

If at one point Vegeta isn't resolved to give it his all to make sure his newborn daughter is able to live a full and happy life, I'd be very surprised. It seems like the obvious climax for his character arc especially if it turns out Goku's jobbing to Jiren this time round

pretty much, it'd be kinda a let down considering how these arcs normally go if Vegeta doesn't get a big badass moment of 'I have to fight not just for myself but for my kids', even if he winds up jobbing he needs that payoff to his beginning part of the story.

just bob
Sep 6, 2017

by Reene

sexpig by night posted:

pretty much, it'd be kinda a let down considering how these arcs normally go if Vegeta doesn't get a big badass moment of 'I have to fight not just for myself but for my kids', even if he winds up jobbing he needs that payoff to his beginning part of the story.

lmfao when he blew himself up to try to kill buu

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Yamcha and Tien trailer no voices so they are probably in early development.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gRPtvqHCtc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ap_8BpfICZw