Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
My copy of Stories wasn't getting much interest in SAmart, so I decided to give post game a try again. Turns out, not facing +Zinogre as the first boss makes things a hell of a lot easier. His 2 spirit things were hitting me for 90+ damage each... so all three targeted my character turn 1 and killed them. I've got a lvl 50+ Brachydios and breezing through everything now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Your Computer posted:

Don't get me wrong, I know a lot of people dig these designs. I mean, it's a tradition at this point going all the way back to Rathalos to have edgy and spiky endgame mons :v: Just personally not my thing.

I understand what you mean and I think I have the same opinion for the most part. Frontier was a big offender sometimes for how uninspired some designs could get, for example.

Espinas was supposed to be inspired by rose stems but was really a Rathian skeleton and unfortunately reused a lot early on, Gurenzeburu had a big blue head spike, Rukodiora was a Kushala Daora skeleton with orange spikes, Unknown (Black Flying Wyvern) was so bad it felt like a parody, and a couple of others after I stopped playing like Abiorugu and Kurarusepusu also felt too gimmicky in looks.

I think the two monsters in Frontier I liked the most were not wyverns at all. Akura Vashimu/Jebia were crystal laser scorpions and Taikun Zamza was like Barroth Electro-mecha-crab except its legs/body can do new attacks as its dirt gets knocked off. They didn't get posted a lot because their materials weren't needed very often to make mega-optimal 11-skill armor sets :sigh:

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

I'm just gonna be over here, the adult whose favorite designs are Gore Magala, Chameleos, Nakarkos, Gogmazios, Rukodiora, and Gurenzeburu.

I mean there are plenty of rough, sharp designs in the series but there are also plenty of weird or goofy ones, much like our ecosystem. That just makes me appreciate both of them even more. Just in the realm of spiders you have ones with massive spikes and sharp fangs, or you have big fuzzies who don't care, or you have tiny jumping guys with the most adorable faces. Variety is the spice of life, dudes.

On the subject of Collector's Edition, wow, what the gently caress. I didn't have any idea the CE was supposed to be a Gamestop exclusive, so I was mainly checking Amazon (which still lists a March release date). I'm hoping that the inability to buy them means they haven't made them available for purchase yet, as opposed to stock running out.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Most Monsters are Good, but

MH4U Monsters are Excellent! Reveal Nerscylla Zamtrios

Unknown can go die in a wyvern fire though, it doesn't even have its own biology

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Sep 22, 2017

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I've been watching MHW news and is it true that they're not localizing monster names in MHW, because that sounds like a really weird decision :confused:

unrelated: I've been playing a bunch of (brave) gunlance and just now I tried regular lance again and I just couldn't do it at all :negative: somehow using the gunlance has made me forget everything about how to play lance

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Your Computer posted:

I've been watching MHW news and is it true that they're not localizing monster names in MHW, because that sounds like a really weird decision :confused:

unrelated: I've been playing a bunch of (brave) gunlance and just now I tried regular lance again and I just couldn't do it at all :negative: somehow using the gunlance has made me forget everything about how to play lance

If we get Nibelsnarf, but don't get Nibelsnarf then this game can go to hell.

Hey so can anyone read Japanese? Because apparently the link says Charms are craftable now

https://www.gamer.ne.jp/news/201709220050/

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Maybe. It's difficult to parse the screenshot and the paragraph sent through Google Translate does not have that much detailed info. It does seem like ingredients are being used to level up skills on a necklace, but the skills are labeled "level 1" rather than the "Skill +7" we're used to seeing. And some of the skills only have a level 1.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
GH has a good video summary of the first two days of news out of TGS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foO8b1QXPQU

I'm watching it now, haven't got all the way through it. I really really like Nergigante's mechanic. As he takes damage in an area (head, neck, arms, etc) he grows out these big white spines. They are soft and take good damage but give him new moves (he grew out a mane of spikes on his neck and could shoot them hydralisk style). If you do not destroy them, they harden into obsidian black spines that are extremely hard, causing you to bounce and do very little damage to that area (while he keeps the new moves). So you have this constant back and forth of trying to get these parts that are now more dangerous before they become REALLY dangerous. He is super aggressive and the ferocity of his moves actually damages himself (causing the spikes to spring out) as you can see in the video when he does the headbutts, causing the neck spines to grow. So you really have to man up and fight him or else he's just going to turn into a spiky obsidian nightmare.

I really don't like a lot of Frontier's designs but Nergigante is the kind of edgy I can get behind. He still has a believable physiology, no molten lava spines here. He's edgy in the way a saber tooth tiger is edgy. Shagaru Magala is about as far into the realm of anime I get (although he is one of my favorite designs of all time), so I really like how World seems to be turning the dial back towards a more muted color scheme, grittier aesthetic, and more believable monsters (Puff the Bat gets a pass for being loving AWESOME).

AttackBacon fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Sep 22, 2017

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm unsure what I think about Nergigante's mechanic.. it sounds very cool at first, but it feels like it might be one of those "might as well abandon quest now" things and I don't think that's good. Monster Hunter already had this problem; you cart once so now your health and stamina is gone and your food buff is gone and you've probably spent a bunch of supplies. It's like insult to injury, y'know? If you got your rear end beat with those buffs and that health/stamina pool then you're just gonna get steamrolled now that it's all taken away. MHW fixes this by letting you eat again mid-hunt, which I think is a great step in making the game more user-friendly... so why introduce this monster that does the opposite?

Imagine spending 15 min on this dude then carting only to find that when you get back to him you can no longer hit him without bouncing. Time to abandon quest I guess, Good Game Design ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
Collector's editions for PS4 are back up at GameStop

XBone never went out because no one has one

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Your Computer posted:

I'm unsure what I think about Nergigante's mechanic.. it sounds very cool at first, but it feels like it might be one of those "might as well abandon quest now" things and I don't think that's good. Monster Hunter already had this problem; you cart once so now your health and stamina is gone and your food buff is gone and you've probably spent a bunch of supplies. It's like insult to injury, y'know? If you got your rear end beat with those buffs and that health/stamina pool then you're just gonna get steamrolled now that it's all taken away. MHW fixes this by letting you eat again mid-hunt, which I think is a great step in making the game more user-friendly... so why introduce this monster that does the opposite?

Imagine spending 15 min on this dude then carting only to find that when you get back to him you can no longer hit him without bouncing. Time to abandon quest I guess, Good Game Design ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Counter-point. Its rad as hell and I want more puzzle monsters then different flavor dino's with a slightly different move set to learn.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Your Computer posted:

I doubt it will be any more of a problem than any other late-game monster. Maybe he'll punish weaker players playing SP more but solo MH has always been pretty challenging and in MP you'll just be able to dogpile him like you can everything else. They've been making these games for a long time and they've gotten pretty good with the difficulty curve. I think it's unfair to pull out the "GoOd gAMe DeSiGN LOL" card against this team when we haven't even played the game and their track record is fairly impeccable (Gen 2 hitboxes were a long time ago).

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Plus like pointed out, every move they have made is a step towards user friendliness. I doubt they will balance the monster to be a fail state if you miss a spine.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Your Computer posted:

Well, could always just switch to HH midway through if you really care about not bouncing too.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

AttackBacon posted:

I doubt it will be any more of a problem than any other late-game monster. Maybe he'll punish weaker players playing SP more but solo MH has always been pretty challenging and in MP you'll just be able to dogpile him like you can everything else. They've been making these games for a long time and they've gotten pretty good with the difficulty curve. I think it's unfair to pull out the "GoOd gAMe DeSiGN LOL" card against this team when we haven't even played the game and their track record is fairly impeccable (Gen 2 hitboxes were a long time ago).
I don't care about MP at all and for all intents and purposes mechanics in general make no difference in MP since like you say, you just dogpile the monster and then it dies. MH being challenging is fine and good, I just think a failure condition other than "you died" sounds like really bad design.

However, like you say we haven't even seen a proper fight yet (ironically the demo guys carted before they could show off the monster properly??) so it's hard to say anything about it. Hopefully (and probably), the team has made it more interesting than "gently caress you, abandon quest" and they just make it sound like that's what it'll be like. v:v:v

Bombadilillo posted:

Plus like pointed out, every move they have made is a step towards user friendliness. I doubt they will balance the monster to be a fail state if you miss a spine.
Yeah, I realize my post sounded pretty dumb. I was just saying that if the mechanic really is "monster becomes literally impenetrable if you don't do well enough" that doesn't sound fun or cool, but truthfully it will probably be a bit more nuanced than that. Maybe you can chip off the armor with some bounces, maybe you will just have to aim for other zones, maybe there's some environment or item interaction with him to help with the mechanic. I'm excited for MHW :yeah:

Allarion posted:

Well, could always just switch to HH midway through if you really care about not bouncing too.
oh boy I had already forgotten about this too :sax: GOTY

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i hope they don't change nergigante's name in the west, it's a fun name to say

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 12 minutes!
Abandoning quests when the odds are against you is the cowards way out. Nothing like scraping a victory after carting twice with 5 minutes on the clock and no potions left

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Brother Entropy posted:

i hope they don't change nergigante's name in the west, it's a fun name to say

Nope, Nergigante is his official western name. It's Nerugigante in Japanese, so its another Jinouga/Zinogre in that they look different but it's really just a minor change to reflect regional pronunciation differences.

All the new monsters are going to be named like this, presumably to make communication easier in cross-regional games. I don't care foe it because it means we get monsters that are obviously related to existing monsters but don't follow the existing naming conventions (ie, Juratodas instead of somethingsioth).

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

canoshiz posted:

I hope her level 3 great sword charge does unscaled beefy damage to stay consistent with the series

Also that is a pretty awful remix of the MH theme... I don't know why they didn't go with something orchestral especially considering the fact that they opted to use the generic orchestral rock MCU themes for the Marvel side instead of the classic themes they had throughout the VS series. A faster paced orchestral MH theme might have fit better than some weird techno remix

Because they've decided to keep the trash music theme going they started with 3.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
From the GaijinHunter video, the spikes only grow in the arms, head, back, and maybe the legs/tail. The belly is probably a permanent weakspot.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Funkmaster General posted:

Nope, Nergigante is his official western name. It's Nerugigante in Japanese, so its another Jinouga/Zinogre in that they look different but it's really just a minor change to reflect regional pronunciation differences.

All the new monsters are going to be named like this, presumably to make communication easier in cross-regional games. I don't care foe it because it means we get monsters that are obviously related to existing monsters but don't follow the existing naming conventions (ie, Juratodas instead of somethingsioth).

So they're really doing this, huh? That's sad. The localized names are pretty cool and add a lot of flavor (like the -sioth you mention) :( It also makes names like Mizutsune and Amatsu stand out because they're clearly Japanese (even if they actually changed them from the Japanese names, which is bizarre in its own right..)

Apparently the cute new lizardsnake is called "Tobikagachi" and... yeah.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i love my new lizard son toby

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
That moment when your son comes out as a flying squirrel

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

That moment when your son comes out as a flying squirrel

I love my dead flying son.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Apparently there are straight-up set bonuses now, on top of the new skill system.

Also, you can undo weapon/armor upgrades and get the parts refunded.

BleepBlarf
Dec 3, 2006

Worst Man For The Job
World apparently has the Kiranico style hitzones available in-game:

https://twitter.com/MHKogath/status/911267436095184898

Also the Japanese name of the mongoose Nargacuga monster, "Tobikagachi"

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Apparently there are straight-up set bonuses now, on top of the new skill system.

Boooooooo

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Also, you can undo weapon/armor upgrades and get the parts refunded.

Source please.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Bombadilillo posted:

Source please.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foO8b1QXPQU&t=357s

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
since you only get one Palico in MHW I hope it's the return of the Ace Palico

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Here's hoping for a Nioh style 'make any gear look like and gear' fashion system.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Everything I read about this game is just making me more :stoked:

Bombadilillo posted:

Here's hoping for a Nioh style 'make any gear look like and gear' fashion system.

This really is the best thing ever.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
If Monster Hunter World doesn't have transmog I will cry endlessly about it.

Bremma
Sep 7, 2007

She was a terrible creature and did not deserve our love

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Collector's editions for PS4 are back up at GameStop

XBone never went out because no one has one

I just did an in-store preorder and they asked if I wanted PS4 or XBox so I guess an XBox version may actually exist.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Goddamn this is gone good looking turkey

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Its no FF15, but still lookin good.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Your Computer posted:

If Monster Hunter World doesn't have transmog I will cry endlessly about it.

it's gotta have something similar if not outright the same thing, since the bonus samurai armor from the deluxe version has no stats and just acts as a skin for other armor

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Brother Entropy posted:

it's gotta have something similar if not outright the same thing, since the bonus samurai armor from the deluxe version has no stats and just acts as a skin for other armor
It's promising but not guaranteed. The samurai armor might be a sort of "consumable" that applies over your armor, which isn't the same as transmog at all. There might also be dedicated appearance slots for special skins, which again wouldn't be the same as transmog either (since you're limited only to special skins) :sigh:

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Goddamn this is gone good looking turkey

I swear if they showed literally just this picture and not the bad reveal trailer I would've immediately gotten hyped for MHW.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

There's gotta be cat hair all over that turkey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Your Computer posted:

It's promising but not guaranteed. The samurai armor might be a sort of "consumable" that applies over your armor, which isn't the same as transmog at all. There might also be dedicated appearance slots for special skins, which again wouldn't be the same as transmog either (since you're limited only to special skins) :sigh:

yeah but they're being so good on qol changes in so many other ways it's hard to imagine them regressing from mhxx's system to something actively worse like this

• Locked thread