Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Casimir Radon posted:

I still wish you could torch her magic painting with her inside.

Even better would be if Em or Corvo had some artistic skill and started adding some flair of their own to the painting. Son and daughter stalking for instance. Hell, they could even add Jessamine for extra fuckery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I have like, less than ten kills in Dishonored over the past two games and 3 expansions.

Killing is bad, mmmkay.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Does death of the outsider have a clean hands achievement?

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Mymla posted:

Does death of the outsider have a clean hands achievement?

There's a ghost achieve for going the whole game without being detected, and there's an achievement for completing a level without killing anybody, but there is no achievement for going the whole game without killing anybody.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Khizan posted:

There's a ghost achieve for going the whole game without being detected, and there's an achievement for completing a level without killing anybody, but there is no achievement for going the whole game without killing anybody.

hosed up.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common

FourLeaf posted:

How come no one seems to care that Emily is also illegitimate? It comes up maybe... once? And only in a document? If you're the bastard daughter of the old Emperor trying to justify your claim over your niece, that seems like a fact that could really help you. Especially since Delilah's reasoning is kind of lame otherwise. "When I was a kid Dad said I could come to court one day! But then your mother broke a vase and blamed it on me!" That entire Void scene could have been a lot more interesting.

"Mater semper certa est" = "the mother is always certain." Bastardy in this context is important to consideration of lineage through the paternal side, not the maternal side. Nobody would care about Corvo's descendants, and there is no doubt of Jessamine's descendants.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mater_semper_certa_est

n4
Jul 26, 2001

Poor Chu-Chu : (
Spent 30 minutes getting the Hooked achievement last night. God drat.

InAndOutBrennan
Dec 11, 2008

n4 posted:

Spent 30 minutes getting the Hooked achievement last night. God drat.

After failing to get it earlier i got it on the last level. Placed a mine on one of those overhangs and threw an unconcious cultist at it. Did the job.

How did you do it?

n4
Jul 26, 2001

Poor Chu-Chu : (

InAndOutBrennan posted:

After failing to get it earlier i got it on the last level. Placed a mine on one of those overhangs and threw an unconcious cultist at it. Did the job.

How did you do it?

Mission 2, where the band is playing. I attacked one bystander so they all panicked, and one person cowers in this spot right below this corner of the wall that hangs overhead. I threw a mine on that corner above and it flings them up at a steep angle and then off the side.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Deceitful Penguin posted:

I have like, less than ten kills in Dishonored over the past two games and 3 expansions.

Killing is bad, mmmkay.

I have a hard time resisting killing:

-Ramsey and the guards who betrayed you in the first level of Dishonored 2
-Delilah's witches
-The bloodfly nest keepers, I mean come on, you're basically doing them a favor
-The taxidermy shop owner in DOTO who is abducting people off the street and feeding them to bloodflies to farm blood amber.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
You might want to spoiler that last one since Death of the Outsider just came out.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Ramsey, real Luca, some of the racketeering Grand Guard, and Delilah can eat steel. Most other big names can have their karmic cake but with these ducks, it's hard for me to justify not taking them out. If the best assassin of the day couldn't get rid of Delilah, let's be EXTRA SURE about this way.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
I didn't kill witches except in my one crazy "Emily the Butcher" playthrough, but now that I know what happens to them in DOTO it might be more merciful to proactively put them out of their misery

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Ramsey's fate is delightfully ironic but the problem is as Emily at the start you have no way of knowing it's going to turn out like that, so I always end up killing him. Either with the blade or by knocking him out and throwing him out the window.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

FourLeaf posted:

I didn't kill witches except in my one crazy "Emily the Butcher" playthrough, but now that I know what happens to them in DOTO it might be more merciful to proactively put them out of their misery

Man, gently caress that. Your cannibalistic sadism doesn't get a pass just because you're no longer the biggest bullies around. :colbert:

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

Liked it a lot apart from very, very end: The first proper encounter with the envisioned can gently caress right off, and I spent an age looking for the key to the non-lethal room all around the library as I'd assumed the Eye would be a point of no return.

I managed to break the bank a bit by shooting the intercom button from a distance. This woke everyone up, but Billie still has the conversation with the guard on the other end of the intercom despite the fact I was actually miles away from it. And I'm sure I got that "don't harm anyone in the bank" contract despite guards wandering into my rewired wall of light.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

What a non-event ending.

I don't expect them to reveal all their cards and what happens to the world with a dead/free Outsider, but at least give us some kind of tantalizing sequel hook!.

I hope we get a sequel. :(

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Does anyone have a spoiler-free list of poo poo I Might Miss Per Area for DotO yet?

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

MikeJF posted:

Does anyone have a spoiler-free list of poo poo I Might Miss Per Area for DotO yet?

breaking into black markets for one

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Entropic posted:

-The taxidermy shop owner in DOTO who is abducting people off the street and feeding them to bloodflies to farm blood amber.

I'm shocked there wasn't an achievement for knocking her out and feeding her to the bloodflies.

I can't believe how easy Domino made Old Game +. Never used it in D2.

Looking forward to playing around more with stealing faces. On a more casual playthrough.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
The randomness of bone charms is frustrating, because some of them change the game a lot. Void Conduit (an extra mana charge) and Mobile Mimicry (Semblance depletes mana slower) allowed me to mimic a guard at the bank, find the blackmailer, and follow her all the way back to her accomplice, and still have some mana left.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I just finished the game and I never found either of those, most of mine were pretty poo poo

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

GotLag posted:

The randomness of bone charms is frustrating, because some of them change the game a lot. Void Conduit (an extra mana charge) and Mobile Mimicry (Semblance depletes mana slower) allowed me to mimic a guard at the bank, find the blackmailer, and follow her all the way back to her accomplice, and still have some mana left.

I don't understand why they insist on doing this, this was a pain in the butt in the first game, and they just kept it in DH2.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Finally found a video of the most :stare: audiograph in the game. Spoilers, I guess:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyO865k5fJM&t=382s

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

orcane posted:

I don't understand why they insist on doing this, this was a pain in the butt in the first game, and they just kept it in DH2.

Same reason they did the same in Prey: to get people to try out different ones instead of sticking to the same in each playthrough.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

GUI posted:

Same reason they did the same in Prey: to get people to try out different ones instead of sticking to the same in each playthrough.

Except that doesn't really work. If you want to experiment with charms, you do it either way. If you want to min-max, you take the best ones you have. If you're missing the eg. by far best stealth charm in your stealth playthrough, you're not suddenly trying one that helps you cause a ruckus in an interesting way, you fall back on the inferior stealth charms and scratch your head when you get the stealth one five playthroughs later (ie. for most players: never) while you're on a loud murder rampage. Or you conclude that bone charms are dumb and boring because you never found the ones that are doing interesting things that align with your playstyle.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

GUI posted:

Then you end up with five passive skills that decrease contact damage in zero gravity, and welp.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, optimizing for forced variety on the 4th playthrough, which will affect 0.05% of players, seems like bad design. Why do they care if people use the same set of charms each time? Let people play the way they want.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I think what they should have done is add a sub-menu to the black market that allows it to sell every available (i.e. not in the player's possession or in the game world, e.g. lying around or on an NPC's belt) bone charm. Robbing the shop should only give you one of each type (black, regular, corrupt) at random, in the same way that robbing the shop only gives you 1 grenade, 1 spring razor, etc.

Edit: I've noticed some of the charms appear to be pre-set, like the "prize" at the bath house in the vise upstairs is always Agility, and the one on Shan Yun's belt is Hardiness.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
There is a very high potential for charms to be duplicates in the same mission in DotO which I think is Cool.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
The bone charm that reduces the perception of enemies you mark in Foresight is hilariously broken. I unequipped it after discovering that the sight radius of most guards drops to a tiny area in front of them, making stealth approaches too easy.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

GotLag posted:

Ramsey's fate is delightfully ironic but the problem is as Emily at the start you have no way of knowing it's going to turn out like that, so I always end up killing him. Either with the blade or by knocking him out and throwing him out the window.

You can compromise by crushing him with the safe room door. The Solomon solution.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Is the agility rune always in the vice in the boxing club then? Is that one "stable" rune?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Drunken Baker posted:

Is the agility rune always in the vice in the boxing club then? Is that one "stable" rune?

I'm pretty sure it is. I think Shan Yun's belt rune is always Hardiness, I played around starting with a save the Dreadful Wale, taking the carriage up to Cyria and running through the map grabbing every rune, and Hardiness was on his belt every single time.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Snuffman posted:

What a non-event ending.

I don't expect them to reveal all their cards and what happens to the world with a dead/free Outsider, but at least give us some kind of tantalizing sequel hook!.

I hope we get a sequel. :(

My bets are on the outsider basically kept the void in check, and that magic will be much more commonplace now that there's nobody to control it.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
Major ending spoilers/series spoilers, sorry for the black wall:
So I like the idea of where they took the Outsider (as a sort of sin-bearer), and the like the implied idea that the Outsider took an interest in the Jessamine assassination/Emily ascendancy because he knew those events would lead to his own freedom by way of Daud's blind revenge and Billie's compassion in the face of it, but I don't feel like this expansion was really the place to tell that story. I love the series for its world design and gameplay, but characterization and plot has always been its weakest points, and mostly I feel like the Outsider stuff was unearned.

DoTO is a good expansion full of all the stuff that makes the series fun, don't get me wrong about that, but I think the series is strongest when it's about redemption. (I think that's why I like the Daud expansions best - Corvo's and Emily's stories are straight-forward Count-of-Monte-Cristo revenge tales, and Billie's is about forgiveness, but Daud's is more nuanced: it's about doing the right thing even when it feels like it's too late to matter.) When Arkane does the post-mortem on this part of the series I hope they realize they need more complex characters and a richer storyline to match their skill in world-building and player freedom, because if they could pull that off, holy poo poo.

Those issues aside, I really have to say that the series has been one of my favorite in the last few years, and it's the only game that's ever come close to being a new Thief in the same way Prey is the closest thing now to the old System Shocks. I hope Arkane keeps on making these kinds of games because nobody else is.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

Mymla posted:

My bets are on the outsider basically kept the void in check, and that magic will be much more commonplace now that there's nobody to control it.

This would be almost too wild, I would be terrified of crazy bullshit at every corner.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Has anyone found a way to rob the black market on the Conservatory mission, in Original Game Plus?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Nevermind

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLMJlmW_15Q&t=30s

I wonder if they'll patch this like they thought the only thing worth fixing between games was the no-running-start slide trick I loved.

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Sep 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
A new one on me: I used Domino and a hagfish pearl to take out the sisters around Rosewyn, and when I headshot one of them with the pearl, it gave me the kill cam view, and they all died.

Did I really kill a kneeling Sister with a pearl to the head? Did her ragdolling somehow kill her?

Edit: oh wow, if you put a hook mine on an unaware enemy's back, they drop their weapon and run around flailing before tripping over and knocking themselves out.

GotLag fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Sep 27, 2017

• Locked thread