Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

hyphz posted:

But the commonly given response that "if many people are rejecting you then you are the problem" denies knowing both of these at once. Of course, they can know it, but they keep being told it's wrong, that instead there is a black-and-white "problem" threshold of success in human interaction that they are under, and that by changing their behavior (exclusively) they can be over it, no matter what other people are involved.

Nobody ever says "well you could get fitter but it might not result in anything" even though that's the truth.
Your obsession over not having full control of the outcome of every given situation is pretty telling. Yes, understanding that most things in life are out of your hands and all you can do is maximize your chances and observe outcome patterns is a pretty basic part of adult life but you're posting about it over and over like it's something completely mindblowing. Apparently freezing and not doing anything is the only possible conclusion out of that and totally not what a child would do.

The advice to do something, anything to be more socially successful is still good because getting more chances is better than having no chance at all. Yes, stay fat, unwashed, poor, undriven, uneducated, depressed because there's a risk that doing something is not a 100% chance of getting results. Please ignore that working on yourself will better your life anyway unrelated to other people.

I'd really feel for incels who put in the work to get their life together but given their demanding child-like predestination-driven mindset, somehing tells me I won't find many.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gambor
Oct 24, 2005

hyphz posted:

But the commonly given response that "if many people are rejecting you then you are the problem" denies knowing both of these at once. Of course, they can know it, but they keep being told it's wrong, that instead there is a black-and-white "problem" threshold of success in human interaction that they are under, and that by changing their behavior (exclusively) they can be over it, no matter what other people are involved.

No it doesn't, and you are a moron if you think it does. The meeting point of those two facts is this: some people won't like you, that is reality and you have to live with like everyone else, if nobody likes you, there's a[t least one] problem with you. The idea that nobody will be liked by everybody and that looking at individual rejections is meaningless is literally one of two premises you're responding to.

quote:

Nobody ever says "well you could get fitter but it might not result in anything" even though that's the truth.

That isn't the truth though. If nothing else, it will result in being fitter, which is a benefit in and of itself. And while it may not be of a social benefit when dealing with some people, it will be a benefit when dealing with others.

You are arguing that it's unreasonable to expect a group of people to understand that humanity isn't a hive mind.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

If you can't get over the fact that human actions are not 100% predictable then you shouldn't be in a relationship because: a) guess what - you'll be dealing with an unpredictable human and that's apparently terrifying to you, b) you're a child and children shouldn't be in relationships, that poo poo is for grownups.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

ikanreed posted:

and how that's so loving Raven?

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

Guy Mann posted:

BPA is so stable that they used it in lab equipment, the panic over it is entirely because one woman said that a combination of harsh lab chemicals and ridiculously sensitive frog eggs might have effected their development and people just ran with it.

Lol the concern ain't about it's stability but rather it's status as an endocrine disruptor

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Domestic Amuse posted:

How many of these guys are just latent homosexuals who just need a little push in the right direction to burst forth from the closet?

As a homo I can tell you that these guys are just raging misogynists not closet cases

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

the advice doesn't say that because it doesn't assume you are a terrifying sociopath, which is what you are if you legit don't understand that "your behavior and hygiene is repellent, be better and more people will like you" does not mean "follow these steps and literally no one can turn you down, it will be impossible, because these are the Correct Methods"

also, they ARE under a "problem threshold," but the other side of that threshold is not "I will have 100% control of how every interaction with another human will go, and their capacity for free will will vanish" and no one ever says that is what will happen

But that's what you assume if you say "if other people treat you in way X, then there is a problem with you."

If the interactions of others are not determined and not reliable, then you are never entitled to judge someone else based on their interactions. If you do, you break that assumption.

Of course, people don't accept this. They do the classic motte-and-bailey thing of making arguments like the ones above, that it's obvious there are no guarantees and that anyone who thinks otherwise is stupid, then as soon as that discussion is over they go back to making the judgment that someone is a problem, ignoring the implicit contradiction.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

hyphz posted:

But that's what you assume if you say "if other people treat you in way X, then there is a problem with you."

If the interactions of others are not determined and not reliable, then you are never entitled to judge someone else based on their interactions. If you do, you break that assumption.

Of course, people don't accept this. They do the classic motte-and-bailey thing of making arguments like the ones above, that it's obvious there are no guarantees and that anyone who thinks otherwise is stupid, then as soon as that discussion is over they go back to making the judgment that someone is a problem, ignoring the implicit contradiction.

god you're so stupid and you think you're so smart

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

hyphz posted:

Yeah, talking about gay incels is so much less fun than this. Oh, yes. Hoo boy.

I kind of feel like "deep" analysis is making this thread less and less fun to read.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

"There are things you are doing (or not doing, as the case may be) that are very likely generating negative outcomes" being true does not mean that "There are things you could be doing that are very likely to produce positive outcomes" is true. I don't understand how you are having trouble with this, unless you are literally incapable of grasping concepts that are not 100% binary.

i like that
May 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Palpek posted:

If you can't get over the fact that human actions are not 100% predictable then you shouldn't be in a relationship because: a) guess what - you'll be dealing with an unpredictable human and that's apparently terrifying to you, b) you're a child and children shouldn't be in relationships, that poo poo is for grownups.
The more narcissistic incels become the possessive, jealous, and controlling abusive types, where it can become life-threatening for the other person to leave.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-legacy-distorted-love/201608/the-destructive-force-narcissistic-injury

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

nobody tell hyphz about probabilistic phenomena

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

hyphz posted:

But you're confounding basic civility with accepting a romantic and/or sexual relationship with somebody. You generally have the right to expect other people not to treat you like scum - unless you treat them like scum first - but you don't have the right to make any given person date or have sex with you. We can quibble about what counts as civil treatment, but giving up the ability to meaningfully consent to sex or romance should be off the table.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
*an incel, face growing redder and redder* "you don't understand, either human interaction is 100% unpredictable and trying is pointless, or else I should be able to mind control a woman by being nice, middle ground and nuance doesn't exist, anything else is a logical fallaceeeeeeeeeeeee"

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

chumbler posted:

unless you are literally incapable of grasping concepts that are not 100% binary.

it's this, he doesn't understand why people don't act like computers

RobotDogPolice
Dec 1, 2016
These guys think women are the only shallow ones and that being gay is a magical window into being accepted for the way you look. Gay men can be just as shallow as anyone else and a lot of gay men feel insecure about the way they look for the some of the same reasons everyone else does. There's also a fair amount of blatant racism on Grindr and other hookup apps.

Just go to r/gaybros sometime, it's basically r/incels for gay guys. So many threads that boil down to "Gays are just shallow size queens and I'm only attracted to power tops who are hyper masculine but I also want a committed relationship. I'm the only masculine gay guy in the whole world who wants to settle down and I'm going to be alone forever a booo hooo hoooo. I'd be in a real relationship if everyone wasn't such a slut."

RobotDogPolice fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Sep 22, 2017

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

RobotDogPolice posted:

Gay men can be just as shallow as anyone else

Gay men are the shallowest fuckers on the planet man. They have it down to a science

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

chumbler posted:

"There are things you are doing (or not doing, as the case may be) that are very likely generating negative outcomes" being true does not mean that "There are things you could be doing that are very likely to produce positive outcomes" is true. I don't understand how you are having trouble with this, unless you are literally incapable of grasping concepts that are not 100% binary.

But that's also true??? People can absolutely act in ways that are cool and good and likely to result in people treating them well. Nothing is garuanteed, neither the positives nor the negatives.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

it's this, he doesn't understand why people don't act like computers

Hey, they're the ones saying "you're the problem". Not "there's an x% chance that you're the problem." But they won't say that, because they don't really believe it, and they have no idea what x is. (Oh, and declaring that human behavior is probabilistic opens whole new cans of worms.)

Having a black-and-white perception that's positive (you can get everything you want if you X and if you don't you never will) is no better than having one that's negative (either there's no point trying or I can mind control people) given that both are equally wrong.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Palpek posted:

well maybe you're an unpredictable person with zero logic but I'm a rational actor with a powerful brain and perfect logic so none of this applies to me and wouldn't apply to you if you were a rational actor with perfect logic and furthermore :downswords:

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy
I'm a pretty loving bad poster but you're trying way too hard and missing the point.

EPIC fat guy vids fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Sep 22, 2017

i like that
May 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Melania is an extremely abusive relationship with The POTUS btw

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

hyphz posted:

Having a black-and-white perception that's positive (you can get everything you want if you X and if you don't you never will) is no better than having one that's negative (either there's no point trying or I can mind control people) given that both are equally wrong.

no one is suggesting that people should do this and if that's what you're getting from all these posts the problem is you and the way you think

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I apologize for somewhat contributing to turning this thread into the direction of brokebrains e/n thread but I guess it at least proves that human stupidity is one of those rare 100% predictable things in life.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

no one is suggesting that people should do this and if that's what you're getting from all these posts the problem is you and the way you think

Perhaps. But plenty of well-meaning people, if someone doesn't believe "if I do X then I will definitely succeed", will attack them for giving up. Or they might pay it lip service but if they in any way act on that belief by mitigating their efforts to do X then they'll attack them for that. All of this is training people to have black-and-white perceptions and overmuch perception of control, in the supposed name of motivating them. But it's not then surprising that when things don't work out for them the perceptions flip to negative but retain those same properties that were hammered into them.

hyphz fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Sep 22, 2017

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

You are the only person viewing this as black and white.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
"you guys, we need to be giving advice in a totally different way! Only 99.8% of people understand the extremely obvious point and we're leaving these poor other dudes behind :("

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

"you guys, we need to be giving advice in a totally different way! Only 99.8% of people understand the extremely obvious point and we're leaving these poor other dudes behind :("

Aren't the r/incels folk just that 0.2% ?

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

You're forgetting that deep down potential incels are 80% of men (non-Chads) so... not such a small number anymore, is it?

Gambor
Oct 24, 2005

hyphz posted:

Perhaps. But plenty of well-meaning people, if someone doesn't believe "if I do X then I will definitely succeed", will attack them for giving up. Or they might pay it lip service but if they in any way act on that belief by mitigating their efforts to do X then they'll attack them for that. All of this is training people to have black-and-white perceptions and overmuch perception of control, in the supposed name of motivating them. But it's not then surprising that when things don't work out for them the perceptions flip to negative but retain those same properties that were hammered into them.

Yeah, this is all bullshit. There are no legions of people saying "Do X and you will definitely succeed" with human interactions. They are saying "Do X and over time you will have opportunities to succeed" which is absolutely true. Especially if the former case assumes a particular time frame or small sample size.

Let's take this out of the realm of socialization, since that's seems to be tripping you up. Lets say these guys were instead whining that no matter what, they never win at poker night. They've been going their buddies house for years and left fifty bucks lighter, each and every time. Now, lets imagine that it turns out that what they are doing is some combination of folding every hand until they bleed out on the antes and/or only betting on hands that are actively bad. One can give them good advice on how to change their strategy to improve their chances of success, but that isn't the same as a guarantee. You are basically arguing that, of course, it's totally reasonable for someone to conclude based on one bad night, or even one bad beat, that poker strategy is bullshit, and if you don't have a royal flush it's over, man.

green chicken feet
Nov 5, 2015

spray-paint the vegetables
dog food stalls
with the beefcake pantyhose
Grimey Drawer

hyphz posted:

Perhaps. But plenty of well-meaning people, if someone doesn't believe "if I do X then I will definitely succeed", will attack them for giving up. Or they might pay it lip service but if they in any way act on that belief by mitigating their efforts to do X then they'll attack them for that.

I don't think there are many circumstances where people are being told they will definitely succeed at all of their goals if they do X. The only person who would make that kind of promise is dumb, delusional, or selling something. Most people who have an ounce of judgment will realize they can't expect a universal outcome when it comes to anything regarding human beings.

And if someone doesn't have judgment like that... well, I think the men of r/incels are severely lacking in judgment, and if it's even possible to fix that, it would be through education and possibly medication and therapy. None of which they will ever receive if they think they are beyond reproach and block out those who say otherwise.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

Gambor posted:

Yeah, this is all bullshit. There are no legions of people saying "Do X and you will definitely succeed" with human interactions. They are saying "Do X and over time you will have opportunities to succeed" which is absolutely true. Especially if the former case assumes a particular time frame or small sample size.

Let's take this out of the realm of socialization, since that's seems to be tripping you up. Lets say these guys were instead whining that no matter what, they never win at poker night. They've been going their buddies house for years and left fifty bucks lighter, each and every time. Now, lets imagine that it turns out that what they are doing is some combination of folding every hand until they bleed out on the antes and/or only betting on hands that are actively bad. One can give them good advice on how to change their strategy to improve their chances of success, but that isn't the same as a guarantee. You are basically arguing that, of course, it's totally reasonable for someone to conclude based on one bad night, or even one bad beat, that poker strategy is bullshit, and if you don't have a royal flush it's over, man.

Ok, this is a good example.

If someone's routinely losing at poker, then you can look at their strategy and see if there's a problem. Sure. But you have to do that looking. You can't just immediately say they are the problem, without checking their strategy first. After all, it is possible that no-one at the table is playing "wrong" but in Poker someone must lose.

Also, since there is no guarantee they will start winning when their strategy is fixed, you should at least admit that there is a _chance_ that the most productive choice for them is to stop playing poker. Yes, playing a better strategy may improve their odds, but those improved odds could still leave them a couple hundred down. This doesn't mean they shouldn't try if they want to, but you can't just disregard it.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
once again your complaint boils down to the fact that there is no way to be 100% assured of success at anything in life, which, uh, fuckin get used to it?

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
[quote="“DragQueenofAngmar”" post="“476661590”"]
once again your complaint boils down to the fact that there is no way to be 100% assured of success at anything in life, which, uh, fuckin get used to it?
[/quote]

Cool. But then you and society need to "fuckin get used to" the fact that there will be some number of people who just don't succeed, find it out of their control, and end up with warped perceptions.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

hyphz posted:

Cool. But then you and society need to "fuckin get used to" the fact that there will be some number of people who just don't succeed, find it out of their control, and end up with warped perceptions.

You fail when you've stopped trying.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

The poker analogy is actually terrible so of course hyphz bought into it. Dude, there is no equivalent of being a couple of hundred down when we're talking about getting fit, eating healthy and working on yourself. It's a net gain even if you don't reach your goal but of course you got lost in an imperfect comparison not knowing what the hell you're even comparing.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
society is used to it. as i asked before, do you have a solution to this that doesn't involve the 99.8% of people who understand this concept catering to the tiny group of computerbrain men

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
The poor will always be with us, so it's like, why even give to charity?

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
a lot of poor people aren't hateful misogynistic assholes, for one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
This thread is in dire need of content. Stop trying to analyze ineffectual lunatics and post more terrible incel posts

quote:

Why are women so stupid?
u/Agony_Of_Defeat
Tell me what other gender would insist someone who beats them also loves them.

Tell me what other gender would believe in or even base their relationships on astrology.

Who else would constantly do stupid poo poo?

quote:

LynchingTriHardsFemales need to be hanged. • 14h
Just look at history, majority of human civilization was and is driven by men. Women have like 0.1% or even less on having an impact for progressing human civilization. And no women's rights wasn't one of them, it's in fact a huge halt back. We would be having outer space civilizations by now if it wasn't for this womens/feminists agenda garbage. We've been having this "debate" since like the 1960s and it hasn't gotten us anywhere. Why is it even a "thing" in the first place. Women should already know their place by now.

• Locked thread