Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
some FUCKING LIAR
Sep 19, 2002

Fallen Rib
I saw this on Twitter today and I spent the rest of the afternoon thinking about how to do RQ Noir: https://twitter.com/PulpLibrarian/status/910951103898046464

The idea of Heroquesting with pulp/noir tropes is as far as I got, though. Trying to project Glorantha into a 20th-century Earth analogue seems like it would get kind of tasteless kind of fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

ZeroCount posted:

as far as I can tell, neutral evil and chaotic evil are more or less the same thing

"The law enables me to be enough of an rear end in a top hat" / "I am an enough of an rear end in a top hat" / "The law prevents me from being enough of an rear end in a top hat"

e:

Kwyndig posted:

That's the problem with the 9 point alignment, it's hard to really pin down the differences with the neutral alignments on the law chaos axis

But yeah, this for good/evil too. I guess the neutral alignments are supposed to encompass people where you'd say they're (eg) neither autoritarian nor libertarian.

That doesn't work very well for the "these are comsic forces" idea, and it works even less well for settings with ways to observe whether someone/thing is objectively good or objectively chaotic or whatever.

Unless you need to be X goodness "up" from neutral for the detector to go off or something, but that's somehow even dumber.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Sep 22, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Kai Tave posted:

Uh, are you thinking of Dark Sun? That's the swords (made of bone) and sorcery (which is outlawed by all but the Sorcerer-Kings) setting. Eberron is basically post WWI recovery 1920's-esque fantasy. I mean yes, if you want to take literally the most cynical approach possible you can argue that since Eberron is an attempt at making a vaguely more "real world ish" fantasy setting that of course its power structures will be inevitably corrupt, but Eberron's take on shades of grey cuts both ways. The Queen of Aundair is a generally kind and noble sort of person and Aundair is presented as a pastoral, idyllic sort of nation, and she very much wants to restart the war where it left off because she genuinely believes that Aundair could (and should) be the victor, meanwhile the vampire ruler of necromancy-practicing Karrnath who's impersonating his own grandson and I think locked his actual son away in prison to keep the charade going is adamantly anti-war, not for any sinister agenda but because his country weathered the war poorly and he realizes that a return to hostilities would result in even greater casualties and he loves his country. Breland is a monarchy with a pretty decent king that's nonetheless beginning to undergo a push towards a parliamentary system of representative government, with all the benefits and potential corruption that entails. Then you have the nation of Droaam which is comprised entirely of "monstrous races" (gnolls, goblins, medusas, harpies, trolls, etc) united by an extremely sinister and powerful trio of hags, whose goal is to...get Droaam formally recognized as a sovereign nation by the other major powers instead of a big space on the map labeled "Here There Be Monsters."

Eberron's approach to the matter of alignment is basically that people are people, period. Nations, groups, cliques, and individual members of various fantasy races can't be easily boiled down to a maker's mark stamped on your soul, poo poo's complicated. Unambiguous capital-E Evil exists in the form of demons, but otherwise alignment is basically a non-entity and people (by which I mean pretty much everybody and not just the Protagonist Approved races) are complicated.

Nah, I'm not thinking of Dark Sun. All the 4e material that I read about Eberron strongly emphasized cloak and dagger stories, betrayals, and people being in secret cults and grasping for power. The Eberron conversion of Keep on The Shadowfell even makes some of the minor town NPCs secretly evil. Seems like a pretty different interpretation of "shades of grey" than what you're describing. I know about Droaam and all that stuff, but the vibe was pretty different.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Cease to Hope posted:

A big difference of Eberron compared to a lot of the other published settings - esp FR which was then the flagship - is that power structures can be corrupt in the first place. There's no personal intervention on the part of Mystra or whoever to strip power from corrupt or heretical clergy.

There's plenty of corrupt power structures and religions in the Realms? And there's lots of heresies, theological differences, and so on. Please actually read about the Realms before you spout off about them.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Lurdiak posted:

Nah, I'm not thinking of Dark Sun. All the 4e material that I read about Eberron strongly emphasized cloak and dagger stories, betrayals, and people being in secret cults and grasping for power. The Eberron conversion of Keep on The Shadowfell even makes some of the minor town NPCs secretly evil. Seems like a pretty different interpretation of "shades of grey" than what you're describing. I know about Droaam and all that stuff, but the vibe was pretty different.

Okay, well you have a pretty personal interpretation of Eberron then because it is absolutely not a setting about the inevitable corruption of everything and how everything sucks forever, sorry.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I like Eberron because it has robots

Serf
May 5, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

I like Eberron because it has robots

Everything is better with robots.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Kai Tave posted:

Okay, well you have a pretty personal interpretation of Eberron then because it is absolutely not a setting about the inevitable corruption of everything and how everything sucks forever, sorry.

I'm really not invested in that perception of the setting.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

some loving LIAR posted:

The idea of Heroquesting with pulp/noir tropes is as far as I got, though. Trying to project Glorantha into a 20th-century Earth analogue seems like it would get kind of tasteless kind of fast.

Given that a chunk of Glorantha in-setting fiction from back in the day were Damon Runyon Pastiches set in Pavis (All the Griselda and Wolfshead stuff) and noir-y detective stories set in the temple of Lankhor Mhy in Notchet, it's not like you need to work that hard to do Glorantha Noir.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Lurdiak posted:

...where power structures are inevitably corrupt or at the very least self-serving and untrustworthy.

I mean, that's just life.

Eberron tends to have at least a corrupt something somewhere in most power structures because, well, nothing is perfect, but also because you want plot hooks for stuff.

Basically, one of the biggest I guess "points" of Eberron is that it is not the setting of capital E Evil fighting capital G Good. There are places where that happens, but by and large, most of the truly horrible individuals in Eberron are way more banal little e evil. While there are antagonists like the EMERALD CLAW which you're supposed to punch off trains and steal artifacts from so you can put them into museums, there are far, far more antagonist groups like the Aurum - literally just a capitalist secret society with all that entails. No special magic, no occult connections, no evil gods meddling about, just a group of extraordinarily wealthy people who want more.

In fact, one of the biggest background points in Eberron is just how horrifically bad the people who should be capital G Good can be, in the lycanthrope purge. That wasn't the result of people being corrupt or untrustworthy, it's the result of idealism sallying forth and then being horrifyingly crushed by the far more cynical reality of the situation, and then settling into sheer desperation.

Eberron might seem like it's more shady then something like Forgotten Realms where, yes, there are secret cults and corruption and whatnot, but those are intended to represent "wrongs" that stand out in otherwise peaceful settings, but that's because it wasn't written with high fantasy in mind, it was written with post-war capitalism and politics in mind. It's not a cynical setting, but it's also not a very optimistic one.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Eberron does have an ongoing theme of civilizations eventually falling due to a mixture of ego and corruption, with periodic alien invasions being the final killing blow. The drow of Xen'drik even point to the long history of failed empires as proof that organizing into nations naturally drives people insane (all the crazy giants around them don't help that perception). The difference this time, though, is that the PCs are there to stop things from going to hell... or push them that way, like most other potential catastrophes Eberron sets up for characters to bumble into.

ProfessorCirno posted:

In fact, one of the biggest background points in Eberron is just how horrifically bad the people who should be capital G Good can be, in the lycanthrope purge. That wasn't the result of people being corrupt or untrustworthy, it's the result of idealism sallying forth and then being horrifyingly crushed by the far more cynical reality of the situation, and then settling into sheer desperation.

Well, it is implied that the Shadow in the Flame also drove the lycanthrope purge to genocidal extremes it never would have reached otherwise.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Sep 22, 2017

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Nuns with Guns posted:

Well, it is implied that the Shadow in the Flame also drove the lycanthrope purge to genocidal extremes it never would have reached otherwise.

Far as I know, Baker's done the opposite. The lycanthrope purge was what it was because of entirely mortal reasons. The situation was just thirty kinds of hosed. I mean, had the Silver Flame NOT stepped in, it legit would've gone full zombie apocalypse, but with more body hair. You had these guys going down to fight the good fight against evil, filled with hymns and stories of saints, and by day two they'd've had to kill their own companions who got bitten or scratched to save them from turning, and also, the things you are fighting sure do look a whole loving lot like those tiger demons your religion was literally founded on killing. And a single werewolf or wereboar is a whole lot stronger then a single templar, no matter how brave they are. And then, during the day, they could be anyone. The farmer who stared at you suspiciously. The druid who always goes inside when they see you. Oh, but they're monsters. The barman who winked at you. The blacksmith who helped with the dings in your armor at no cost. The farmer who invited you for dinner.

It could especially be that Shifter who lives out in the woods by themselves and who always hated the people of the village. Hated your friend, the one who you had to put down last night, because it got him along the side, not even a fatal wound, but deep enough to get in his blood.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
There was a modern noir version of HeroQuest published a while back, called Nameless Streets.

quote:

Nameless Streets is a game of mysteries and the paranormal beings who investigate them. Powered by the flexible and dynamic HeroQuest game system, players take on such roles as a famous vampire detective, his werewolf muscle, and the necromancer who helps to solve murders. Set amidst the narrow, rain-soaked streets of Portland, Oregon, Nameless Streets handles classic mysteries, like the Locked Room, and more esoteric struggles with equal ease. You might locate a missing person one week, and get caught in the crossfire between warring sorcerer guilds the next.

It has paranormal stuff because RPG, but it seems like you could snip that out and just play straight Chandler/Hammett style games with no problem

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

FMguru posted:

There was a modern noir version of HeroQuest published a while back, called Nameless Streets.

It has paranormal stuff because RPG, but it seems like you could snip that out and just play straight Chandler/Hammett style games with no problem

A quick Google search reveals it to be completely out of print and not for sale at the moment due to the contract reverting publishing rights back to the author. This thread here has some details, and apparently the author is attempting to repackage it as its own standalone game, but the last post was in June so who knows what sort of progress is being made.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Eberron is not meant to be "ooh everyone has a dark past" it's just meant to be pulp adventure in postwar like the roaring 20s. It isn't any more a cynical setting than Spirit of the Century is - they operate in pretty much the same setting tropes, Eberron just also has dragons in it.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

ProfessorCirno posted:

Far as I know, Baker's done the opposite. The lycanthrope purge was what it was because of entirely mortal reasons. The situation was just thirty kinds of hosed. I mean, had the Silver Flame NOT stepped in, it legit would've gone full zombie apocalypse, but with more body hair. You had these guys going down to fight the good fight against evil, filled with hymns and stories of saints, and by day two they'd've had to kill their own companions who got bitten or scratched to save them from turning, and also, the things you are fighting sure do look a whole loving lot like those tiger demons your religion was literally founded on killing. And a single werewolf or wereboar is a whole lot stronger then a single templar, no matter how brave they are. And then, during the day, they could be anyone. The farmer who stared at you suspiciously. The druid who always goes inside when they see you. Oh, but they're monsters. The barman who winked at you. The blacksmith who helped with the dings in your armor at no cost. The farmer who invited you for dinner.

It could especially be that Shifter who lives out in the woods by themselves and who always hated the people of the village. Hated your friend, the one who you had to put down last night, because it got him along the side, not even a fatal wound, but deep enough to get in his blood.

it gets played up a lot more in the 4e update, where the book more directly says Bel Shalor is still within the flame and uses it to corrupt some of its followers:

Eberron Campaign Guide posted:

While he is bound. Bel Shalor has little ability to directly influence t he world. His power is one of insidious inspiration, of whispers in the dark. He has turned his prison against his captors, reaching through the bars of the Silver Flame to touch the minds of the faithful. Some followers of the Flame have been corrupted to actively worship Bel Shalor. His strength is his ability to trick good people into performing evil deeds. something he has accomplished all 100 often over the millennia.

I prefer the interpretation that the purge would have happened and been terribly no matter what because of human(oid) nature but different writers take it in different directions

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Nuns with Guns posted:

The drow of Xen'drik even point to the long history of failed empires as proof that organizing into nations naturally drives people insane (all the crazy giants around them don't help that perception).
It certainly doesn't help that Xen'drik has several continent-wide curses operating on it and its people specifically making it difficult and dangerous to organize into anything larger than a large camp site.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Xen'drik is awful and I don't like being there

EDIT: Daelkyr can also suck a gently caress

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Sep 22, 2017

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I actually don't know a lot about eberron other than warforged so the phrase "several continent wide curses" may be the best thing I've read all week

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Blockhouse posted:

I actually don't know a lot about eberron other than warforged so the phrase "several continent wide curses" may be the best thing I've read all week

Xen'drik is great because it's the D&D map you made when you were 12; no rhyme or reason to anything, the desert is right next to the frozen wastes, weird monsters all over the place solely because they look cool, and so on. The place was ground zero for a shitton of magic back in ancient history, and the continent is still feeling the effects of it centuries later.

Eberrowns.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Eberron is cool and I still have the 3.5 book but whenever I tries to run it IRL people wanted other settings and online no one plays it :/

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Xen'drik is awful and I don't like being there
You only almost died!

quote:

EDIT: Daelkyr can also suck a gently caress
Y'all are the ones who released it and gave it a place to live and got it addicted to magical narcotics :colbert:

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Plutonis posted:

Eberron is cool and I still have the 3.5 book but whenever I tries to run it IRL people wanted other settings and online no one plays it :/

What settings are popular in Brazil?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Lightning Lord posted:

What settings are popular in Brazil?

Tormenta (original setting) and Forgotten Realms (only one that got translated as far as I know).

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Evil Mastermind posted:

Xen'drik is great because it's the D&D map you made when you were 12; no rhyme or reason to anything, the desert is right next to the frozen wastes, weird monsters all over the place solely because they look cool, and so on. The place was ground zero for a shitton of magic back in ancient history, and the continent is still feeling the effects of it centuries later.

Eberrowns.

Also the most important part is that the geography literally shifts around which means maps are useless.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Kai Tave posted:

Also the most important part is that the geography literally shifts around which means maps are useless.
Maps are borderline useless but guides, amazingly, are incredibly useful since retreading your path is for some reason much simpler. Which is great because guides, especially native guides, never have any ulterior motives. :D

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I have a 5 year old son (6 in October) that I think would get a kick out of the role-playing in tabletop RPGs. But I have zero experience with tabletop RPGs (although I have tons of experience with video games, and a fair amount with modern board games). Is there an RPG that would work well for a family like this (my kid, me, my wife)?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Kai Tave posted:

brb name change

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Cicero posted:

I have a 5 year old son (6 in October) that I think would get a kick out of the role-playing in tabletop RPGs. But I have zero experience with tabletop RPGs (although I have tons of experience with video games, and a fair amount with modern board games). Is there an RPG that would work well for a family like this (my kid, me, my wife)?

Hero Kids
No Thank You Evil (the system is pretty terrible but groups I've read about have still had fun with it)
Costume Fairy Adventures (but might be a bit "girly" for a 5y boy)

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Cicero posted:

Golden Sky Stories

E- if the Japanese countryside setting is too out there for a five year old, there's also the Fairy Skies variant.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Sep 22, 2017

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Nuns with Guns posted:

Golden Sky Stories

nooooooo

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Cicero posted:

Fall of Magic

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

hyphz posted:

Hero Kids
No Thank You Evil (the system is pretty terrible but groups I've read about have still had fun with it)
Costume Fairy Adventures (but might be a bit "girly" for a 5y boy)

I had fun with NTYE, with 9, 7, 2 adults. System is definitely not A+ though, and book organization is sad.

drunkencarp
Feb 14, 2012
Mice & Mystics is maybe a good intro, maybe not what you're looking for. Kind of a board game RPG hybrid aimed at kids?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
There's a third-party publisher that does kid-appropriate Pathfinder adventures. It's good to get them started with the usual that way they know what's up with gaming.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Yikes

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Arivia posted:

There's a third-party publisher that does kid-appropriate Pathfinder adventures. It's good to get them started with the usual that way they know what's up with gaming.
PF is a poo poo way to get started on gaming.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
please don't advocate for child abuse

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

dwarf74 posted:

PF is a poo poo way to get started on gaming.

My middle school (11-12 yo) friends and I learned tabletop gaming on 3.5; we taught ourselves. I wouldn't call it a good system for kids, but people in TG often radically underestimate how much kids can understand, and overestimate how much they want to actually roleplay, rather than basically play a cooperative video game made by their friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Arivia posted:

Yeah, no. This is patently false. Even ignoring all the trap options that an enthusiastic kid an fall into because they sound cool, no 5 years-old is going to want to sit thorugh PF's character generation.

• Locked thread