Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Abyss medicine is awesome. Just sew some mushrooms on it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
This show better be faking me out on where I think it's going. Mitty can't be Lyza, stop making me think that blob thing is Riko's mom. :shepicide:

Shroombear however is amazing. :kimchi:

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Mo_Steel posted:

This show better be faking me out on where I think it's going. Mitty can't be Lyza, stop making me think that blob thing is Riko's mom. :shepicide:

Watch the start of the episode again. Lyza has blue eyes.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Is the Nanachi/Mitty origin episode next week?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Lurking Haro posted:

Watch the start of the episode again. Lyza has blue eyes.

If the curse can transform someone into a sentient blob, I don't think changing its eye color is much of a stretch.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Good thing there's a manga thread.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

a kitten posted:

They're only talking about episode spoilers, not manga spoilers...

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

There Bias Two posted:

They're only talking about episode spoilers, not manga spoilers...

Listen, i haven't had my coffee and i just want to be grumpy ok?

Carry on then. :shobon:

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

a kitten posted:

Someone should give this a real thread name though. I was complaining in the other thread and didn't notice.

E: At least put anime thread or manga thread in the titles. I don't want to get spoiled on how gruesomely the rabbit dies or whatever.

Pavlov fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Sep 16, 2017

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Grouchio posted:

Is the Nanachi/Mitty origin episode next week?

I don't think so. You can ask in the manga thread.

-e-

Pavlov posted:

Someone should give this a real thread name though. I was complaining in the other thread and didn't notice.

I hoped the Manga icon was enough. Nnaa isn't really relevant to the Anime either.

-e2-
I requested a title change. If you haven't read the manga, unread the manga thread, as you should normally land at the OP which I kept mostly spoiler-free and has a disclaimer refering to here.

Lurking Haro fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Sep 16, 2017

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Huh, so the curse turns people in fuzzy shoggoths.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Mo_Steel posted:

(anime-only viewer): It's def a fake out, but the execution was fantastic.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

That is a pretty awesome signature.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Mordja posted:

Huh, so the curse turns people in fuzzy shoggoths.

The first thing I thought of was that cat from Amanchu!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I still think they should have spelled it Meaty.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

YouTube tried recommending that video to me too

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Whenever I read or hear about Made in Abyss this plays through my head:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nq9j1qkj2Vc

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
how deep do they have to go before hoppou shows up

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Do we know what the initial scope of this production is? I know it's 13 episodes but is that 13 with an option for season 2 or do we think they're going to try to just mash an ending into this first run?

I don't really know how stuff based on running manga typically gets adapted.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Martytoof posted:

Do we know what the initial scope of this production is? I know it's 13 episodes but is that 13 with an option for season 2 or do we think they're going to try to just mash an ending into this first run?

There isn't enough material for a second season yet, but I think we can rule out an original ending.

Running series normally get adopted once, with an open or original ending, and probably never get picked up again, because the manga already ended in the mean time and adaptations are mainly made to push sales.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

with the endpoint being the bottom of the abyss (two layers? or more down) there's no way they do a satisfying original ending

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

*record scratch* It was all a dream

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
On consideration, I find it really weird that the series goes to the effort of characterising all her orphan friends and secret orphan protector (even her uncle...) when seemingly they are now irrelevant and inaccessible. I'm not really sure there can be a satisfying narrative that results in her going back up the abyss having reached the bottom and being happy with her pals except as a post scriptum. Kind of curious to see what role they play, if any, as it progresses. Flashback and cutaway scenes only?

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
Yeah based solely on the OP and first episode I thought they were going to be on the surface much longer

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Martytoof posted:

There's a natural end-point coming up, and the final episode will be a one-hour special to take advantage of it. Kind of like how the final battle against the Female Titan was a natural end-point in AOT - the adventure continues, but we've had a major climax to see our heroes off.

There's not enough manga material for a second season, although they might green-light one for a year or so down the line if this anime is a success.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ah yeah, that makes sense. I think I know which end point you're referring to and I agree it would be an .. okay .. point to leave the series until they maybe get a greenlight.

I'd love if they committed to more seasons but waiting until they see how successful this is is probably the smart thing to do. Hopefully this doesn't die on Amazon outside of Japan.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Jeza posted:

On consideration, I find it really weird that the series goes to the effort of characterising all her orphan friends and secret orphan protector (even her uncle...) when seemingly they are now irrelevant and inaccessible. I'm not really sure there can be a satisfying narrative that results in her going back up the abyss having reached the bottom and being happy with her pals except as a post scriptum. Kind of curious to see what role they play, if any, as it progresses. Flashback and cutaway scenes only?

Oh, they are characterised for a reason, but if you think there is gonna be a conventional happy ending for them then you must be watching a different show.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the surface kids get featured in omake chapters, that's about it as far as the manga goes

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/potipoti93/status/910887150488399873

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I love it

A cozy Ozen :3:

A cozen

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

dogsicle posted:

the surface kids get featured in omake chapters, that's about it as far as the manga goes

Judging by the preview images that went up on the site, the next episode looks like it will be adapting those

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

El Burbo posted:

Judging by the preview images that went up on the site, the next episode looks like it will be adapting those

oh good! that stuff was really sweet so i'm glad anime people get to see it :3:

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Finally... the bkub endcard

quote:

Pipimi: Don't be alarmed
Popuko: We're taking Nanachi to dominate the Fall anime season
Reg: LET GO OF NANACHI YOU poo poo-MANGA LORDS!!

*The Poptepipic anime was delayed

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Don't have birthdays, that's what I'm learning here.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I'm glad Nanachi will be voluntarily joining the cast of Pop Team Epic.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

The saccharine ED rolling after all that was just surreal and creepy.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Wow Mitty, learn about personal space.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Sindai posted:

Wow Mitty, learn about personal space.

*Incoherent pleas for death*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU