Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Loved it. Simple as that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

TealShark posted:

The ratings absolutely tanked last night, pulling a 1.1 in the key demo, down from the 2s in its Sunday time slot. EDIT: Looks like football just obliterated everything last night?

A match-up no one initially cared about turned into one of the best regular seasons games in recent memory ruined by a loving horrible penalty in the final minutes.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
The slot change coupled with "wait, two new episodes in one week?" probably messed with things a bit.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Guess people were just tuning in because there was nothing else to watch on Sunday. Wonder how bad it's gonna get hammered next week.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I just assumed the big reveal would be that half of the species is born female and altered during infancy, and that it was covered up ("only one female every 75 years" doesn't hold up when you consider Bortus' baby, his mate, and the writer hermit lady).

In the end it doesn't really matter. They'll probably just leave it alone, and that's okay.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Arglebargle III posted:

Not really surprising considering they moved the show to a new time for the 3rd episode. FOX! :argh:

Fox didn't really "move" it, this was announced as a Thursday show for a long time. Introducing it on Sunday, after football, was Fox helping it out, and probably why the ratings were inflated.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Mister Kingdom posted:

How are the number of viewers different if the two shows had the same ratings/share?

Here is how to read TV ratings:

The first two numbers are ratings for the 18-49 year olds. 1.1 means 1.1% of all 18-49s watched the show, and 4 means 4% of 18-49s that were watching TV at all were watching the show. The final number is total viewers in millions of any age.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I thought it was great. I was riveted, helped largely by the suspense the hammer would fall any minute and they'd totally embarrass themselves with the writing. It wasn't 10/10 perfect, but mostly very well done. Paced really well. Best use of the comedy elements so far. The ending caught me a little off guard and I choked up a little.

At the end of the day, it wasn't overtly even about gender or sexuality issues. It was about marginalization issues at large, and how scared people are to change their views even when evidence their wrongness is thrown right in their faces. They easily could have been talking about a number of different populations at any point.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Goddamn, it took me way too long to notice that Bortus' partner is the same actor as Fred Johnson in the Expanse/Tyreese from The Walking Dead/etc.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

The Bloop posted:

Yeah that just makes them bad at their job.

Is that their job? Not every critic is for the 18-35 male demographic.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

WhiteHowler posted:

I just assumed the big reveal would be that half of the species is born female and altered during infancy, and that it was covered up ("only one female every 75 years" doesn't hold up when you consider Bortus' baby, his mate, and the writer hermit lady).

In the end it doesn't really matter. They'll probably just leave it alone, and that's okay.

I thought that was going to be the twist too, but I'm just going to assume that like in Star Trek, most aliens just have really long lifespans and Bortus and Klyden are really old by human standards. I can believe that Klyden's about 75 and the author lady's about 150.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

WhiteHowler posted:

I just assumed the big reveal would be that half of the species is born female and altered during infancy, and that it was covered up ("only one female every 75 years" doesn't hold up when you consider Bortus' baby, his mate, and the writer hermit lady)..

We don't know how old they are.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Pull up, thread, pull up!

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

WhiteHowler posted:

That was my initial thought too, but then I remembered Bortus said that he laid the egg. Unless he meant it in the way that annoying couples say "we're pregnant" and it's like penguins where the male warms the egg.

We've put more thought into this than the writers though.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Is what their job? Knowing something about the thing they are reviewing? I should hope so. We're not just talking about stoned bloggers here but people actually paid by established media outlets. Do your loving research or give the job to someone who knows something.

You don't have a sports car guy review a truck or a plane. You don't have a soccer expert review a hockey video game. You don't have someone who has no interest in SciFi review a new SciFi show.
Unless you are explicitly doing some sort of everyman piece perhaps, but that's not what the issue is here. If you don't know one particular genre at all and have to review it because there is no one else, then loving say so in your review otherwise you are misleading people.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The problem with making a new Star Trek show is everyone involved is intimidated by the Star Trek legacy. You could see this back with TNG. In the original series there was a little less consistency in the writing, as they were just trying to find stories to shoot to put on air. So they weren't bothered by trying to fit everything within a narrow set of parameters. By the time TNG hit, the Star Trek framework had been defined, better or worse, not by the show, but by the culture that had sprung up around it. Star Trek was the idealized vision of humanity, therefore the show must conform to that.

I remember awaiting Voyager with anticipation, as the premise was intriguing. A Starship, cut off from the Federation, and through crew is made up of Starfleet personnel and of members of a Rebel faction they fighting? There's great drama that could spring from that. But because of the Star Trek legacy, the first ep ends with everyone in Starfleet uniforms, because the Star Trek legacy must rule overall.

Everyone wants to make Star Trek, but they want to make Star Trek to match its cultural significance, its importance, and that's what I think limits it.

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Sep 22, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

IRQ posted:

That was my initial thought too, but then I remembered Bortus said that he laid the egg. Unless he meant it in the way that annoying couples say "we're pregnant" and it's like penguins where the male warms the egg.

We've put more thought into this than the writers though.

I mean, that fact they're not extinct despite being all male means that their race is biologically hermaphroditic. But it may notnhave always been. So they had 2 sexes which evolved to be hermaphroditic, but still had other physiological differences.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I am really enjoying how the aliens seem unable to differentiate between human trashy fiction and treasured wisdom.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Arglebargle III posted:

I am really enjoying how the aliens seem unable to differentiate between human trashy fiction and treasured wisdom.

I can't tell if I was more annoyed that Seth got the number of songwriters on Survivor wrong or I knew the correct number off the top of my head. Brain, why are you so good at trivia but so bad at all other things that are not trivia?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Davros1 posted:

I remember awaiting Voyager with anticipation, as the premise was intriguing. A Starship, cut off from the Federation, and through crew is made up of Starfleet personnel and of members of a Rebel faction they fighting? There's great drama that could spring from that. But because of the Star Trek legacy, the first ep ends with everyone in Starfleet uniforms, because the Star Trek legacy must rule overall.

Legacy or continuity had nothing to do with that. It was brow beaten writers and the weight of an entire network launch sitting on their shoulders. Serialization was verboten because the audience had to be able to jump in at any time. Continuity and legacy would have made a BETTER show since they wouldn't have to hit the reset button every 42 minutes.

I'm tired of the incorrect argument that continuity is toxic to Star Trek. There is so much stuff unexplored that wouldn't conflict with anything. Continuity only gets brought up because the loving people in charge keep doing prequels and reimaginings. If you keep going back to the same well, you are going to confuse and contradict things.

Do another time jump, make a compelling premise, and just go.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Soothing Vapors posted:

Guess people were just tuning in because there was nothing else to watch on Sunday. Wonder how bad it's gonna get hammered next week.

I'm looking at next Thursday's schedule (network-wise) and it's up against this:

NBC - Will & Grace return & Great News season premiere
CBS - football - Bears vs Packers
ABC - second half of Grey's Anatomy season premiere (how the gently caress is this show still on?)
CW - Whose Line Is It Anyway? (one new ep & one repeat)

Obviously, football will dominate.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Why no women? Genocide!

Maclan is a world where Hitler won.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

What a great episode, guys! Braga deserves every bit of poo poo he gets for Voyager, but this episode felt sharp and well edited. And in the theme of Star Trek, but with humans, no one on the ship is a lawyer AND an officer. Kel only took a year of it and she does the thing you expect an amateur to do, to try to put the system on trial instead of actually prove special circumstances exist for that child, something the head juror makes clear in his verdict. They even do the STOP THE TRIAL thing. Amateurs playing at being lawyers like they saw on TV, and it's great that they are flawed enough to do that and even better that they lose.

Picard or Riker, two inexplicably excellent space lawyers despite also being terrific officers, would have probably argued that on the ship, this kid's sex wouldn't be seen as a disability but a strength. They would prove how valuable diversity is on the ship, making a subtle metaphor to society without having the burden of proving their society is dumb and that this one judge should just throw pixie dust and change everything forever. Through this they would prove that his father's circumstances are special enough to warrant an exception and leave behind a precedent.

It's wonderful how just having the precept of realistic characters changes everything. There's no way this planet would even be in the Federation. Arms manufacturers who destroyed their planet and sex change their kids? But the Union seems more about making the best with what you have.

chaosbreather fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Sep 22, 2017

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

When did NFL start playing Thursday? I thought that was just the domain of college ball

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Al Borland Corp. posted:

When did NFL start playing Thursday? I thought that was just the domain of college ball

From 2006-2014 on the NFL Network, 2014-2016 on CBS, and NBC since 2016.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
Wow. Take away the dick and poop jokes, and this could have been a TNG episode. I loved it. I agree that they probably should have waited half a dozen episodes until we got to know Bortus better, but still it worked. People looking for a comedy and nothing more were probably disappointed, but eh.

I'm kinda annoyed at how Alara is constantly written as Super Girl Who Can Do Anything. Hopefully that gets toned down a bit in the future.

A dude posted:

I watch on demand and for some reason every ad break is the same ad, So You Think You Can Dance: The Next Generation, which they last aired like over a year ago, they're back to regular SYTYCD now.

Yeah, I watched it on Fox and the commercials were messed up. The 15 second one for Wal-Mart? They played it three times in a row.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

xerxus posted:

SUNDAY

7/6c: NFL on Fox

7:30/6:30c: The OT / Bob's Burgers

8/7c: The Simpsons

8:30/7:30c: Ghosted (New series)

9/8c: Family Guy

9:30/8:30c: The Last Man on Earth

Translation: "We're pushing 'Ghosted' very hard."

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I think the scene I liked the best was Ed and Kelly in the mess where Ed entertained the notion that they might not be correct.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Gynovore posted:

Translation: "We're pushing 'Ghosted' very hard."

Nah, that timeslot is a death sentence. Nothing sticks and everything they put in there ends up canned in one season.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

muscles like this! posted:

I think the scene I liked the best was Ed and Kelly in the mess where Ed entertained the notion that they might not be correct.

Yeah, that felt very Picard-ian.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Gynovore posted:

I'm kinda annoyed at how Alara is constantly written as Super Girl Who Can Do Anything. Hopefully that gets toned down a bit in the future.

But she's not? She's strong but just last episode was all about how green she is in every other way?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I don't think they could have saved this until we knew Bortus better. I think the show needed to do something like this to get attention, if that makes sense. It needed to take a big risk and show that it can handle this kind of episode. I want to watch it more now than I did after the second episode, and way more than the pilot.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Beachcomber posted:

I don't think they could have saved this until we knew Bortus better. I think the show needed to do something like this to get attention, if that makes sense. It needed to take a big risk and show that it can handle this kind of episode. I want to watch it more now than I did after the second episode, and way more than the pilot.

That's fair! I still liked the second episode better, but it's not like this turned me off the show so I'm all in.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

precision posted:

But she's not? She's strong but just last episode was all about how green she is in every other way?

She's a good character, I just hope the writers don't feel they need to show her smashing walls and mushing solid titanium cubes into balls every episode.

BTW I just remembered, on Undiscovered Country, the Klingon judge used a sphere as a gavel, is this a reference? Hmmmm.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
This is the episode where we get to know Bortus better...

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

chaosbreather posted:

Picard or Riker, two inexplicably excellent space lawyers...

Haha, yeah they are. Picard would've given an impassioned speech a la Drumhead and probably won. She could have founded a refugee community and gone down in history.

Instead, he had a c-list crew and the genocide continues.

Gynovore posted:

She's a good character, I just hope the writers don't feel they need to show her smashing walls and mushing solid titanium cubes into balls every episode.

I agree, it's over the top. Adding physics is the only way I'd be happy be with it. I mean, you'd need the mass of a wrecking ball to knock out a vault door by running into it.

Plus, you could get slapstick and sight gags out of subverting the trope. Maybe instead of knocking the door down, she squats and pushes off the ground into the door and the ground gives way. Then they take so long crawling under the door that the Krill have time to circle around and that's why they have a running gun battle.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Yes, it's their job to know about Star Trek at least enough to understand the references made to Star Trek in this show.

You could pick up more than enough about Star Trek just by watching network banality like The Big Bang Theory, for gently caress sake. It's hardly an esoteric show with limited appeal. The people who were 18-35 when it first started are old as gently caress now, it's not some new cutting-edge sci-fi series.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

lelandjs posted:

I know what I said.

Whoever said that The Orville is basically TNG but with all the bad bits that made them/me dislike it was dead on.

Sorry, but you don't get to say that DS9 was bad.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Accretionist posted:

I agree, it's over the top. Adding physics is the only way I'd be happy be with it. I mean, you'd need the mass of a wrecking ball to knock out a vault door by running into it.
:goonsay:

I've been here fifteen years and that is my first Goonsay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

LividLiquid posted:

:goonsay:

I've been here fifteen years and that is my first Goonsay.

This is an extension of my general distaste for 'running into doors'

You kick open doors. The shoulder's a crap joint. It is not suitable to battering.