Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Like it or hate it, the trope of unrealistic prodigy characters is not going away.

Of course not, but this is an extreme case even by Ace Attorney standards. Edgeworth in the last game started prosecuting at 22. That is exceptional but mathematically possible.

Alternately, Ace Attorney Germany is just a land ruled by teenagers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Anything is possible!

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Look, AA Germany just has really good schools, which apparently teach Japanifornian law.

Speaking of which, is this the last AA game to unambiguously identify a real-world country like Germany? I know that they switch to "off-brand" country names at some point in the series, but I don't know exactly when.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
EDIT: I probably shouldn't have answered that question.

Patter Song fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Sep 22, 2017

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

amigolupus posted:

I checked the previous updates to be sure, and it's mentioned that the key is one-of-a-kind. If this was a set-up, then I'm guessing Maya had to have been knocked out and carried out of the room where she dropped the key somewhere.

Speculation, I see two possibilities here. Possibility A: the killer was already in the room before the channeling happened. They then knocked out Maya and Dr. Grey somehow (otherwise they'd shout about the intruder). The culprit then killed Dr. Grey, stole Maya's clothes and hid her behind the screen, pretended they were Maya, and was let out by Morgan where they dropped the key while going somewhere to change their clothes (that box in the side room, maybe?).

Possibility B: There's a secret passage into the room that the killer used to sneak in. They then knocked out Maya and Dr. Grey somehow, and used the secret passage to carry Maya elsewhere, and Maya dropped the key while being carried. The killer steals Maya's clothes, sneaks back in, kills Dr. Grey, allows themselves to be caught as "Maya", and then used the secret passage to sneak out once Morgan sends Phoenix and Lotta away.

So... is it, like, a known thing that mediums take on the physical appearance of the ghosts they channel? Because whoever was in the room certainly looked taller than Maya.

But was that, like, a deliberate attempt to fake the thing, or a fuckup on their part because they weren't expecting anyone to look closely, or...?

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Patter Song posted:

Of course not, but this is an extreme case even by Ace Attorney standards. Edgeworth in the last game started prosecuting at 22. That is exceptional but mathematically possible.

Alternately, Ace Attorney Germany is just a land ruled by teenagers.
Let's be real, Manfred bribed and threatened people until they let his kid rush through the permitting after having drilled his kid since they were 2 on the fine points of German law and WINNING!!!!

EDIT: I mean I literally think that's the implication, von Karma the youngest having started practicing as 13 is mathematically impossible if the system is at all working, but they're the child of Manfred von Karma, who is a known corrupt POS, so there's no way he didn't put an illegal amount of pressure on everyone involved, likely including his then-13-year-old. It's absurd bc it has to be super absurd to get that characterization across when everyone is exceptionally young already in the series.

PetraCore fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Sep 22, 2017

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Edgeworth's first case was at age 20 for comparison. And he almost certainly got the same kind of Lawyer Boot Camp as Von Karma The Younger did.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
I mean having the kid be in the 16 to 18 range would already be basically absurd if you thought about it at all. Having him be 13 is just silly.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Funky Valentine posted:

Edgeworth's first case was at age 20 for comparison. And he almost certainly got the same kind of Lawyer Boot Camp as Von Karma The Younger did.
Sure, but Von Karma fostered/adopted (I'm not actually sure which) him when he was already in elementary school. Von Karma The Younger has been in Lawyer Boot Camp since they were much younger, I suspect.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Do defense attorneys and prosecution lawyers go to the same school in Japanifornia? Are they classmates? Do defense attorneys get bullied in school?

So many questions.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Carbon dioxide posted:

Do defense attorneys and prosecution lawyers go to the same school in Japanifornia? Are they classmates?

Without providing spoilers, yes to both of these.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I choose to believe that the Judge has been judge since the foundation of the empire, though.

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
Is the judge the only judge in Japanifornia? There are other lawyers and other prosecutors in trials we have seen, but it's always the exact same judge. What do they do when he takes a vacation?

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Glazius posted:

So... is it, like, a known thing that mediums take on the physical appearance of the ghosts they channel? Because whoever was in the room certainly looked taller than Maya.

But was that, like, a deliberate attempt to fake the thing, or a fuckup on their part because they weren't expecting anyone to look closely, or...?

I'm honestly not sure if that information is well-known. Phoenix knows the mediums change their appearance, and a few characters note that Maya seems to have changed when channeling someone, IIRC.

If Morgan is really an accomplice, then she could've told Ini that the mediums change their appearance when channeling someone. In that case, the plan is probably to have Ini appear to be Maya, say incriminating words and then Morgan quickly sends Phoenix and Lotta away so they can't get a good look at "Maya".

Carbon dioxide posted:

Do defense attorneys and prosecution lawyers go to the same school in Japanifornia? Are they classmates? Do defense attorneys get bullied in school?

So many questions.

I can't help but imagine a situation like Hogwarts where the prosecution students are all in the good houses, while defense students are in Slytherin and considered to be cowardly and evil. :v:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

CountryMatters posted:

Is the judge the only judge in Japanifornia? There are other lawyers and other prosecutors in trials we have seen, but it's always the exact same judge. What do they do when he takes a vacation?

The courthouse conveniently always needs extensive renovations that last exactly the duration of his absence.

CaptianKatsura
Feb 28, 2011

I'm not Katsura, I'm Captain Katsura!

Carbon dioxide posted:

So many questions.

I'm pretty sure Lana and Mia went to the same law school, so most likely yes to all of those.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

CountryMatters posted:

There's more, Phoenix just keeps getting the same one though

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

DariusLikewise posted:

There's more, Phoenix just keeps getting the same one though

Maybe all this time we thought Phoenix was winning against all odds, but in actuality the judge just has the supernatural ability to always preside over the correct verdict

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
There are at least two more judges, but you'll have to wait until the later games to meet them.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Dragonwagon posted:

There are at least two more judges, but you'll have to wait until the later games to meet them.

Is that counting the one in the unspecified foreign court?

Because I can only of this one, that one, and judge Pallette Swappe

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
You guys are nearing spoiler territory there.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Mraagvpeine posted:

You guys are nearing spoiler territory there.

Also getting dangerously close to dissing Uncle Phil and I will not tolerate any slandering of his good name.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Y'know, now I kind of wish there was some romhack that replaced the Judge with Uncle Phil (and modified some of his dialogue accordingly).

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Re: Maya/Phoenix talk, I always considered the two of them more as friends or adoptive family. In fact, they are actually one of my favorite friendships from a lot of stories I've seen. Apologies to Pearl.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Outside of Edgeworth/Oldbag, I don't have any AA ships.

LordNagash
Dec 29, 2012

CountryMatters posted:

Maybe all this time we thought Phoenix was winning against all odds, but in actuality the judge just has the supernatural ability to always preside over the correct verdict

His profile in-game pretty much says exactly this, about how he may sometimes be a bit dumb but he always comes to the right verdict in the end.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Patter Song posted:

Outside of Edgeworth/Oldbag Gumshoe, I don't have any AA ships.

This for me.

EagerSleeper posted:

Re: Maya/Phoenix talk, I always considered the two of them more as friends or adoptive family. In fact, they are actually one of my favorite friendships from a lot of stories I've seen. Apologies to Pearl.

Yeah, I thought it's just Pearl being a sheltered kid. I imagine it as Maya telling Pearl all these stories about her super cool adventures in the big city, with her dorky assistant Nick tagging along. :v:

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:
Pearl ships Phoenix/Maya in an extremely naive "twu wuv" fashion. As far as we know, she just heard from Maya about how Phoenix totally cross-examined a parrot one time and decided that this made him the perfect marriage partner.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

amigolupus posted:

Yeah, I thought it's just Pearl being a sheltered kid. I imagine it as Maya telling Pearl all these stories about her super cool adventures in the big city, with her dorky assistant Nick tagging along. :v:

eating burgers
watching tv
meeting the steel samurai
she probably doesn’t talk much about the murders, I bet

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

although, to be honest, I’d rather try the local cuisine in a big city rather than crawl through the tourist traps

they say that shake shack burgers and halal guys plates are better in their home in NYC than here in Los Angeles

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

dotchan posted:

Pearl ships Phoenix/Maya in an extremely naive "twu wuv" fashion. As far as we know, she just heard from Maya about how Phoenix totally cross-examined a parrot one time and decided that this made him the perfect marriage partner.

wuv
twu wuv

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Wow, I found this ridiculously late. :smith:

I don't think the music in this game is as good as the first one, but there are a few aspects of this game that are pretty entertaining. Getting to get more info on Kurain is nice.

Poor Payne can't even beat an attorney with amnesia, though. He didn't even have much of a case before Wellington took the stand. Even then, it was so shaky that the judge was willing to pronounce Maggey innocent before the murderer even showed up.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Sep 26, 2017

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

IAmTheRad posted:

Rise from the Ashes was put into the storyline. I don't know how they did it, as I have only played the DS titles (and the Android port of Dual Destinies) but apparantly in the HD remasters of the original trilogy, they put some line somewhere in it to confirm it's part of the storyline.

At one point, there is talk of the last time Phoenix went to court or something, which was originally the von Karma case. The remaster just adds in a little line that mentioned RftA as well.

Regalingualius posted:

Y'know, now I kind of wish there was some romhack that replaced the Judge with Uncle Phil (and modified some of his dialogue accordingly).

Fund it.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Sep 26, 2017

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
I already know who the true culprit of the case is.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

IAmTheRad posted:

Also the true Mastermind of all the police corruption in the city.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Someday we'll get an Ace Attorney game that reveals that Frank Sahwit was behind literally everything.

Someday.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

So you're saying...

He Sahwit all?

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

IAmTheRad posted:

fuckin knew it from the start

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Regalingualius posted:

So you're saying...

He Sahwit all?

Or maybe you should say Didit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Spirit mediums and psychics aside, I think the metaphysical power worth investigating is the one that makes all the puns in your name come true. Like do these parents pay no attention when naming their children or is this some kind of quick passage to fame? "Well, our little Gemma Stone is either going to die in an avalanche or start a diamond mine. Either way she'll be in newspapers".