Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

at the date posted:

ty for helping me with my Game

Well you still at the date

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I've got a 3-5 page paper to write over the weekend. It's going to take a bit to knock those out as quickly as I did as an undergrad.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I had a big 15-20 page paper to do several semesters ago. I did a little here and a little there throughout the semester. Finished it early. Got an A. Doing it little by little over three months made it so loving easy.

Never done another paper like that since.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
The worst I've had was an 8 pager using satellite imagery analysis to research Las Vegas' expansion from the 1980s to present day. I did it in one day. It was awful. Not the longest but the most aggravating paper to have written.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Also I got one professor to agree to me bringing Monty to class.

:getin:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

This is the true college experience.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

Dis is my therapy dog. He's snuggly and soft, and I taught him to bite anyone who shows up to class wearing an infidel cap.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

Hooray for Monty!

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I love Monty.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

So I wanted to clarify about my "dream."

Music videos. That's what I want to do. But not normal music videos. These are 3-4 minute movies with narrative and plot progression based on my interpretation of a song. Music videos have long been hailed as dead because I think they get tossed to the side. The Information Age made it so that we now expect video representation from bands and it is super easy to make.

Here's an example.

https://youtu.be/YqhUjG6u1PQ

I admire Wes Borland as an artist like nuts. If you think otherwise, you probably only know him from Limp Bizkit.

Cinematically, that could have been done "better" but the execution was great. The transition from 4th wall breaker back to a third is clever, but the thing that follows is a pretty clear narrative of a dude just trying to figure out what the gently caress is going on. Add a little weird random poo poo and boom. It's not the best example but that video inspired a lot of ideas and realizations that I could do this. Money being the biggest factor. Not how much I'd get paid but how I'd pay for the right acting, the right equipment, etc. I also understand my limits, this isnt hubris, or at least I hope it's not.

Music is emotion we can hear. I'm a visual person, but music gives me goosebumps. It's always been a big part of my life and I really want to be apart of it. I don't want to play it like a DJ. I did that already. I want to inspire others like it inspired me. Part of the beauty of music and song meanings is that every song means something different to everyone. Our ability to relate to it is what helps us enjoy it. The artist may be talking about something else, but the words are ambiguous enough for you to get it. I recently did a 4-5 page paper on A Perfect Circle - Judith because it was a free topic and it was a method of communication. It's also probably he most influential song of my life time. I liked tool but A Perfect Circle and more importantly Puscifer REALLY blew me away.

That or do what Eric Warheim does. I like how he gets to be weird and it's normal but I do it and it's creepy because I'm not Eric Warheim.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Soulex posted:

So I wanted to clarify about my "dream."

Music videos. That's what I want to do. But not normal music videos. These are 3-4 minute movies with narrative and plot progression based on my interpretation of a song. Music videos have long been hailed as dead because I think they get tossed to the side. The Information Age made it so that we now expect video representation from bands and it is super easy to make.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfrcZsKcVxU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nC5TBv3sfU

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

https://youtu.be/S9IA6SKHPFc

No computer effects. Spoke personally to the artist because he was on MySpace when it was relevant and it wasn't popular.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Also. Really well done on both of these. Exactly what I'm talking about. I also REALLY like that they didn't follow the group inside and left it as the POV of the driver.

The second was a really cool concept done well and I'm gonna share it a lot.

Gonna share both a lot.

Thanks these were awesome and totally get what I'm saying. I want to do that. I want to be in charge of making that. That's what I want to do with my life.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Monty is the best :]

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

So apparently, even if you are only taking one credit hour of full-time internship, schools still count you as being "full time" so I just got a big grant I was not expecting.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
I am jealous but my dogs would be a huge distraction and the class would be a waste. I study at school so I don't spend my time tempted to pay attention to them. It's awful.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
it would only be for one day towards the end of the semester.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

ripoff of Baby Driver

e: I mean this started as a dumb joke but Edgar Wright did direct this and clearly just lifted the scene intact for the start of Baby Driver

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Haven't seen Baby Driver

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

it would only be for one day towards the end of the semester.

You should get a job where you can take your dog to work. I know places like Amazon let you do this.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Soulex posted:

Haven't seen Baby Driver

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Sir Lucius posted:

You should get a job where you can take your dog to work. I know places like Amazon let you do this.

maybe. but honestly that's probably a can of worms i shouldn't open though. i have manageable anxiety at the moment. like if i'm in a huge room with a bunch of poeple (like the cafeteria at school that i still call the dfac because i suck) then i get antsy but i can stay put without being too uncomfortable (though some days are worse than others).

put monty next to me and you have a shitload of people looking at me or coming up to me, which i wouldn't like -or- monty would become a bigger crutch than he already is for me and i wouldn't be able to function without him.

those are my two biggest fears about being able to take him everywhere.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

at the date posted:

ripoff of Baby Driver

e: I mean this started as a dumb joke but Edgar Wright did direct this and clearly just lifted the scene intact for the start of Baby Driver

He did a really good job then ripping it off six years before Baby Driver was released

e: never has any artist reused a single idea in any of their work. Next you'll tell me that James Horner's movie scores are all completely unique

UP THE BUM NO BABY fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Sep 16, 2017

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
gently caress, read that right after waking up and realized I misinterpreted it. I'll gently caress off now for a bit and get some coffee

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Soulex posted:

Haven't seen Baby Driver

You should, it's good. The scene based on this music video is memorable.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

I have the pleasure of retaking organic chemistry II since the school I'm at now didn't accept the semester of it I did at community college. Being in a lecture hall of 100+ students where it seems half of the class are all on a pre-med track and watching how they interact with the professor and the TA seem to explain a lot about what I remember of the doctors I worked with at a Naval Hospital and in a few BAS/RAS.

Chemistry is my major and it's loving annoying to have to wait around for everyone else to grub about their grades when I want to know how the poo poo really works.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Speaking of chemistry, this is old but I found it today and had a good laugh

http://heterodoxy.cc/meowdocs/pseudo/pseudosynth.pdf

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Mr. Nice! posted:

Speaking of chemistry, this is old but I found it today and had a good laugh

http://heterodoxy.cc/meowdocs/pseudo/pseudosynth.pdf

I've never seen that before but it's hilarious

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

tastefully arranged labia posted:

I've never seen that before but it's hilarious

Someone explain

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Making sudafed from meth.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Making sudafed from meth, because buying meth is easier than buying sudafed at this point :v:

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
one good thing about going to a small school is you can generally figure out who the lazy students who wait until the last minute are early in your academic career and by the time you hit your senior year you know who is who.

the bad thing about that is i've done two group projects in my economics class by myself because the people i get paired with are fuckin useless. the poo poo will be due on a thursday so they are like "let's get together on wednesday evening at 7pm and work on it." no you fuckers. so i just email them what i have and say "look over it and make sure you agree with it"

if i get stuck with stupid people in the future i think i'll throw in some stupid poo poo randomly in the project just to see if they actually pay attention to what i send them.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I've had 1 group thing so far, and thankfully I got some of the effort students in the group, but then this one goon looking motherfucker that was just plain dumber than poo poo. Thankfully we could give him a role so small that if he didn't even do it it wouldn't bother us that much.

I had my first chem lab last week and apparently everything is done with partners. I just put my stuff near the lab bench and just got nabbed immediately by this woman who claimed me as her lab partner. I wondered why then I realized that this creepy as all gently caress weirdo with a pedo stache and a neckbeard was gonna be her other option, and she turned out to be really switched on, so that was good news as well.

So I've had a good run with group stuff so far but I count myself very, very lucky.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.

not caring here posted:

I've had 1 group thing so far, and thankfully I got some of the effort students in the group, but then this one goon looking motherfucker that was just plain dumber than poo poo. Thankfully we could give him a role so small that if he didn't even do it it wouldn't bother us that much.

I had my first chem lab last week and apparently everything is done with partners. I just put my stuff near the lab bench and just got nabbed immediately by this woman who claimed me as her lab partner. I wondered why then I realized that this creepy as all gently caress weirdo with a pedo stache and a neckbeard was gonna be her other option, and she turned out to be really switched on, so that was good news as well.

So I've had a good run with group stuff so far but I count myself very, very lucky.

Did you bone her?

Also what are some of the best ways to milk the Post 9/11 GI Bill for all it's got? I'm gonna have about 20 months of benefits left when I finish my grad program.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Howard Phillips posted:

Did you bone her?

Also what are some of the best ways to milk the Post 9/11 GI Bill for all it's got? I'm gonna have about 20 months of benefits left when I finish my grad program.

Get on voc rehab

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Get on voc rehab

This. I started as an art major, bought a fancy computer and camera and had it reimbursed. Changed my degree plan to communications. Don't have to pay any of it back.

The only downside to Vocrehab is no flexibility save electives. Has to be your degree plan, even if it gets changed later.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Advice for people just starting: buy your text books that are relevant to your major, don't rent.

You never know when you might need those things in the future, which is an issue I'm running into right now.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Alternatively, show up to the first class and ask about the required books. Sometimes they're not even needed.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Undergrad had some expensive books I wish I still had that weren't required. The Masters program is all about pissing off the bookstore and just having us get what we need as cheaply as possible.

It really depends on how good the teacher is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
In undergrad I had a billion books that I never bought after my first semester, because sometimes we wouldn't even get to the material at all.

In grad it was 'yo all this poo poo is on the internet except for [insert book] which you really need so get it'