Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
You should be able to buy a replacement spoke from Woody's wheels. http://www.woodyswheelworks.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
That site is a good start. Thanks.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

tjones posted:

I picked up an extra passenger seat for my R6 off ebay and gutted it down to just the frame. The original idea was to build a custom luggage rack to mount onto the seat frame but then I decided it might be best to buy a prefab rack instead. After a cursory search, it turns out there are quite a few different offerings ranging from 50.00 - 200.00. I'm sorting through all the ones I've found, but I thought I would ask here if anyone has any recommendations.

The R6 pillion is pretty small. Something like this looks like it would work perfectly if it didn't cost 150.00: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/sw-motech-steel-rack-top-case-rack-triumph-tiger-explorer

Are all the decent racks going to be this expensive? If so I may try to cut to fit a piece of stock myself.

Ventura racks are good. They have a couple options for R6

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Lost a spoke and nipple on my super tenere. It's a tubeless rim, so no air coming out. I had to ride another 10 miles home after that and I took it easy, but I'm having a hard time sourcing the right spokes and nipples to replace. How bad will it be to ride without a spoke in the meantime, including off road?
Can't get them OEM from Yamaha I assume? I use Buchanan's for all my spoke stuff, they can custom make things. I dunno what they'd charge for just one spoke, though, I usually only buy in sets.

But more importantly, you lost a spoke on a new bike? That's nuts and you should definitely check the tension on all the other ones.

tjones
May 13, 2005

clutchpuck posted:

Ventura racks are good. They have a couple options for R6

Thanks for the advice. I'll give them a look.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Lost a spoke and nipple on my super tenere. It's a tubeless rim, so no air coming out. I had to ride another 10 miles home after that and I took it easy, but I'm having a hard time sourcing the right spokes and nipples to replace. How bad will it be to ride without a spoke in the meantime, including off road?

N'thing "please don't ride with a broken spoke." Get a professional to inspect the wheel, replace the spoke and ensure it's all trued up.

Woody's makes good stuff but shipping a wheel is a pain. Maybe there's a motorcycle shop with a crusty, grumpy old guy who's great at spoked wheels. Cheaper and faster than shipping a wheel to Colorado.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Can't get them OEM from Yamaha I assume? I use Buchanan's for all my spoke stuff, they can custom make things. I dunno what they'd charge for just one spoke, though, I usually only buy in sets.

But more importantly, you lost a spoke on a new bike? That's nuts and you should definitely check the tension on all the other ones.

Tension on all the others is good. The best I can figure, I took a really hard rock hit to that particular spoke - the spoke was hanging there, but the nipple was gone and the spoke was bent.

The dealer here jerked me around with parts, and I don't really want to unmount the wheel and ship it away, so this weekend I'm trying the classic dirtbike shop and will hope that they have something for me.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

My bike (Triumph Daytona 675) started no problems on three separate rides yesterday, this morning it won't start at all (doesn't even sound like it's trying). The lights (including the high beam) are on (I turned my high beam off as I was trying to get it going), but when I hit start the display just runs through the entire range of bars for my coolant temp, similar to when you first turn on the kill switch. The battery is a Yuasa that is less than a year old, I think ~10 months. I've been doing a lot of short rides recently, but my last ride last night was 11 miles of spirited riding, so I'm assuming that would charge it.

Thoughts? Should I try jumping it from my car battery (I've heard differing opinions on that). I know the rectifier for my bike had a recall, I think that was performed but I need to check. I think if that was broken the battery wouldn't have lasted that long though. Probably not related, but I did ride in the rain in the morning, but the bike started fine two times after that.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
Generally I think it's ok to jump your bike with a car battery, just don't run the car while you're doing it.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Dutymode posted:

Generally I think it's ok to jump your bike with a car battery, just don't run the car while you're doing it.

correct. Leave the car off and you'll be fine.

do some voltage/resistance tests of your charging system on the moto.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Sweet, I'll try jumping it and see what happens. I have a battery tender and a multimeter, but I just moved so finding them will be fun. It seems like under a year should be too quick for a battery to die, even if I'm mostly doing short rides - right?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
How long did 11 miles take you? Go out and ride for two hours and see how it is after that. Sounds like pretty standard not getting enough charge every ride and getting discharged that way.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
I've never thought about this before, but how do you guys handle earphones / music while riding? Full-stop no-no due to legality? No, it's unsafe? I end up on the highway a lot and it's pretty boring in the 30mi jaunts between destinations and a surprisingly noisy helmet.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

robotsinmyhead posted:

I've never thought about this before, but how do you guys handle earphones / music while riding? Full-stop no-no due to legality? No, it's unsafe? I end up on the highway a lot and it's pretty boring in the 30mi jaunts between destinations and a surprisingly noisy helmet.

In-ear plugs is nice for slabbing. It does reduce your ability to hear stuff happening around you, but at higher speeds wind noise does that anyway.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Earplugs and wired helmet speakers.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
I always wear earplugs, never earbuds/music. For one thing noise-cancelling earbuds can cause more damage, right? Plus I would find it super distracting.

I know no one can really answer this one for me, but should I sell my Ninja 250 or store it this winter? I've ridden it for 3 summers, longest I've kept any bike. It's not amazing at highway riding, which is kinda necessary if I want to get out of Chicago in less than 2 hours. I could save a lot of time/money since it's time for a valve adjustment/winter storage. On the flip side, it's awesome, has newer tires and all that poo poo, and there is a chance that if I sold it I'd just not get another until I move from this city.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty
I was just curious. I ended up looking up some state laws and it's surprisingly illegal all over the place, but I mostly ride in Indiana and Michigan (both legal). I apparently need to take at least one out if I cross over into Illinois.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I wonder if its also illegal for deaf people to drive in this states.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Dutymode posted:

I always wear earplugs, never earbuds/music. For one thing noise-cancelling earbuds can cause more damage, right? Plus I would find it super distracting.

I know no one can really answer this one for me, but should I sell my Ninja 250 or store it this winter? I've ridden it for 3 summers, longest I've kept any bike. It's not amazing at highway riding, which is kinda necessary if I want to get out of Chicago in less than 2 hours. I could save a lot of time/money since it's time for a valve adjustment/winter storage. On the flip side, it's awesome, has newer tires and all that poo poo, and there is a chance that if I sold it I'd just not get another until I move from this city.

If you're just chilling on the highway, it's much nicer to have some music to which to sing along. I rode to Rockford last weekend and it was nice to have that. On city streets it can be a bit distracting, but if I know I'm going to be in town I just yank them down at a stoplight. Valve adjustments you can do yourself; aside from putting the carbs back on, I thought they were pretty simple. The Ninjette only has 2 cylinders and everything is pretty accessible. Ninja250.org has walkthroughs with photos for basically everything. I can help if you like. I still have the tools for that bike, including the screwdriver-through-the-wrench tool they make specifically for that job.

Also, you can throw it in my garage if you want, complete stranger. I have 2 other bikes in there, and room for another, and I kept my Ninjette over a couple of winters, rotating the wheels and tending the battery.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

robotsinmyhead posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Shure-SE215-K-Isolating-Earphones-MicroDriver/dp/B004PNZFZ8 Shure4lyfe

The sound isolating part blocks sound a little better than the 3m foam earplugs, so you can listen to music softly while still having situational awareness. Using normal earbuds was so dangerously disorienting because you had to turn the music up so loud to hear anything that you had zero awareness of even the bike.

I still have to be careful of what music I listen to while riding. DNB/Trap/Hardcore is a recipe for donging it up, but deep and progressive house keeps me focused on riding.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008

captainOrbital posted:

If you're just chilling on the highway, it's much nicer to have some music to which to sing along. I rode to Rockford last weekend and it was nice to have that. On city streets it can be a bit distracting, but if I know I'm going to be in town I just yank them down at a stoplight. Valve adjustments you can do yourself; aside from putting the carbs back on, I thought they were pretty simple. The Ninjette only has 2 cylinders and everything is pretty accessible. Ninja250.org has walkthroughs with photos for basically everything. I can help if you like. I still have the tools for that bike, including the screwdriver-through-the-wrench tool they make specifically for that job.

Also, you can throw it in my garage if you want, complete stranger. I have 2 other bikes in there, and room for another, and I kept my Ninjette over a couple of winters, rotating the wheels and tending the battery.

Well, I might take you up on that. Although with this weather, maybe we'll have another non-winter. If I'm keeping it, I'll happily buy the valve adjustment tool from you.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I use some old model sennheiser in-ears that actually has a analog volume slider with my sena. I find that setting that volume slider to 85ish % removes any Bluetooth hiss.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

This is a somewhat specific question, but will a 2014 Triumph Bonneville grab rail fit (sissy bar) on a 2007 Bonneville T100?
I guess it's not worth saving $50 bucks on, but I found a used one on eBay that's going for like half the price of OEM retail.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty
I've got some good Skullcandy earbuds that I found while camping, so I use those. As for volume, I figured out if I put my phone in my jacket breast pocket just right, I can hit the volume up/down on the side of it, even with gloves on.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

builds character posted:

How long did 11 miles take you? Go out and ride for two hours and see how it is after that. Sounds like pretty standard not getting enough charge every ride and getting discharged that way.

Definitely under 15 mins, a mile or two of slower surface streets, but mostly fast highway riding. Now that I think about it, my longest rides recently have been ~15mins to work once a week, and they're usually more like 5 to 10 mins. The question now is even if I jump the bike and ride it around for a while, will the battery be screwed from being discharged so far. It's a huge pain in the rear end to have the battery die, I may just throw a new one in there. Last time it died I was up in the mountains with no cell service, that ended up being a lot of fun. Triumphs are supposed to be finicky about battery voltage, they seem to go from starting right away to not starting at all instantly.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

robotsinmyhead posted:

Used to run triple flange earphones, now foam earplugs and a Sena.

I bite my thumb at anyone who suggests these arrangements are unsafe because they impair my ability to hear; car bodywork blocks far more noise, and their stereos run far louder. Are these illegal? No? Then gently caress off.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

robotsinmyhead posted:

I've got some good Skullcandy earbuds that I found while camping, so I use those. As for volume, I figured out if I put my phone in my jacket breast pocket just right, I can hit the volume up/down on the side of it, even with gloves on.

I discovered the same thing on the highway, and it came in very handy.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Sena + earplugs for life. Like others have said, I can still hear more of the road noise than when in a car and with Sean I have easy volume/music control plus comms when riding with others.

Two best motorcycle accesories I've bought were a Sena and a Kriega bag.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I loathed my sena. I couldn't wait to get it out of my life and go back to Shure. So there.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

These work great: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RC4OEO0/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There's a little plastic tube down the middle of them that contains the speaker hardware. It makes the foam tips too big around to crush and insert properly, but the rubber tips work great. Excellent noise dampening and the music sounds fine.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

robotsinmyhead posted:

I gave up on IEMs/earbuds because I think they contributed to my terrible tinnitus. I'm pretty sure that wind on the cords, even when routed as much inside my clothes as possible, was one big factor. The other is cords/earbuds contacting my helmet and transmitting noise directly into my ear canal that way. They didn't always do it, but more often than I thought. I was also never able to find a set that really truly effectively blocked out wind noise when no music was actually playing, so none of the ones I used were ever as good as earplugs.

I got a set of UClear helmet speakers and went back to wearing good earplugs. The sound quality is way better than any of the earbuds I ever tried, and I really don't have to turn them up nearly as loud as I expected to. Most importantly, my ears don't ring or hurt at all at the end of rides now. They're super easy to work with, too. A female 1/8" jack hangs out the bottom of your helmet so you can quick disconnect or splice in a remote. You can quick disconnect on the fly that way as well, without having to pull over and futz with your phone/ipod/etc. Naturally, a Sena has a big button on the receiver mounted on the helmet or voice commands or some poo poo like that.

I believe it was pokie who first tested these, and he liked them as well. There's a handful of more in-depth discussions in the bike gear thread and also in the headphones thread over in NMD. Shure 215s are always the answer you'll get if you're committed to earbuds, with MEE M6 Pros as a runner up. I have the M6 Pros. They're pretty good, but if you have a head that's wide near the ears or small ear canals, you will get fatigue. My experience with their customer service was poo poo, so I can't recommend them based on that alone. Still wear them frequently though.

So yeah, proper earplugs plus a good helmet speaker is superior and probably better for your ears, but there are decent earbuds out there. Don't cheap out if you go with IEMs/earbuds, though, because it's worse than nothing at all.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Sep 22, 2017

dumb.
Apr 11, 2014

-=💀=-
How the hell are you guys keeping the buds in your ears when you put your helmet on?

I've tried wearing my earpods a few rides and they inevitably get yanked part way or all the way out. Even tried wrapping the wire up over my ears but that was just stupid.

I gave up on them altogether and put some uclears on my shopping list, but I'll have to settle for the wind / engine hum / my terrible singing + beatboxing in the meantime.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I mean, I already posted the Shure se215 so I don't know why you are still having these troubles. They don't budge.

Also, hold the straps outwards while you put your helmet on so they don't rub your ears.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Coydog posted:

Also, hold the straps outwards while you put your helmet on so they don't rub your ears.

This. Also you pull the straps out after the helmet is on, snake a finger or two up in there, and reseat everything as best you can.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I can't listen to music when I ride because I tend to start blapping the throttle in time with the music and ripping it wide open when the beat drops

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
See, now I'm just imagining you riding while listening to polka...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkfK8c2jFPs

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty

dumb. posted:

How the hell are you guys keeping the buds in your ears when you put your helmet on?

I've tried wearing my earpods a few rides and they inevitably get yanked part way or all the way out. Even tried wrapping the wire up over my ears but that was just stupid.

I gave up on them altogether and put some uclears on my shopping list, but I'll have to settle for the wind / engine hum / my terrible singing + beatboxing in the meantime.

Short story - it's a motherfucker. I can get my helmet one like 90% of the time with no issue big issue, but the small issues involve figuring out how to get my hands inside my helmet/ear area and re-seating my earbuds. After that, it's a bit of experience to get the wires so they don't pull out when you turn your head.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
If only there was a better way

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

I wear sunglasses, a bandana or hair tie for my long hair, and earbuds inside my full face all the time. Works fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Tf are you doin wearin a helmet anyways, I mean when it's your time it's your time

Oh please don't listen to that :ohdear: