Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I didn't mind the chaos state in Dishonored in the sense that it changed the world some and made dialogue systems different, but I do wish that I didn't have to sit through a lecture by the Outside about what a bad, bad boy I was. The fact that he is a Real God that gives people powers and sees what they do with them is cool and interesting, but having him then go "SO YOU LIKE BLOOD EH" is annoying.

It gives you piles of stuff to kill with and then slaps your hand whenever you actually use them. It's MGSV all over again.

MGS V does no such thing. A lot of the time the easiest way to complete a mission is to murder everything in sight with your most powerful weapons. There are major advantages to not doing so but the game does nothing to stop you. Sneaking is fun but sometimes things go to poo poo and you have to deal with it. I always, always, always carry a rocket launcher (until I get anti-materiel rifles) and customized assault rifle with underbarrel grenade launcher for just that reason. It does instantly fail you if you kill child soldiers, though.

And there's one enemy base that's annoying and hard as hell to sneak through so I always turn the place into Murderville when the game sends me there. Heavy weapons and either Quiet with her anti-materiel rifle or D-Walker with maxed out heavy weaponry. Artillery strikes. Calling in heavy choppers with maxed out weapons and armor. Supply drops with extra ammo for my heavy weapons. DESTROY DESTROY DESTROY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

ImpAtom posted:

To be fair with Yakuza it's more like "act like a dick get a bunch of rusty nails literally shoved into your eyes."

Edit: Nonlethally though.

Thats one of my favourite things about Yakuza 0. The plot makes such a big deal about how killing someone is a big watershed moment and a line that shouldnt be crossed lightly. Meanwhile in the actual gameplay I'm beating a motherfucker with a motorcycle, running someone through with asamurai sword, teeing off on a kneeling opponents head with a baseball bat and powerbombing random drunks straight down on the top of their heads on concrete. Then back to the plot with a main character brooding that he might have to kill someone.

Like, it sounds like I'm being sarcastic, but I'm really not. It makes me laugh every time I'm like "well, THAT motherfucker is definitely dead. But you tell yourself whatever you need to get through the day Kiryu and/or Majima"

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I messed up the Witcher 3 Blood and Wine ending and tried to re-do it (something I'd normally never do, I usually like to choose one path with no advanced knowledge of the consequences) but then messed it up again somehow. It was my fav story of the whole game too. :( rip hot queen lady

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

SiKboy posted:

Thats one of my favourite things about Yakuza 0. The plot makes such a big deal about how killing someone is a big watershed moment and a line that shouldnt be crossed lightly. Meanwhile in the actual gameplay I'm beating a motherfucker with a motorcycle, running someone through with asamurai sword, teeing off on a kneeling opponents head with a baseball bat and powerbombing random drunks straight down on the top of their heads on concrete. Then back to the plot with a main character brooding that he might have to kill someone.

Like, it sounds like I'm being sarcastic, but I'm really not. It makes me laugh every time I'm like "well, THAT motherfucker is definitely dead. But you tell yourself whatever you need to get through the day Kiryu and/or Majima"
Interestingly in 6 they did away with the "I'm sorry I'll never do it again" phase after street fights; enemies just fade away like in Final Fight or whatever. I'm sure they're still alive though.

I'm sure they'll still be alive after having their head exploded in Yakuza of the North Star too. The whole point of that series is that by losing the fight they know they were morally wrong.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I messed up the Witcher 3 Blood and Wine ending and tried to re-do it (something I'd normally never do, I usually like to choose one path with no advanced knowledge of the consequences) but then messed it up again somehow. It was my fav story of the whole game too. :( rip hot queen lady

Same, : (
That loving ribbon...

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

It was so well done that I couldn't bring myself to even look up if there was another way for that to go, let alone try.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

I just wish I had gave that chick one last gently caress before she died. She wanted to. But, I thought she was trying to trick me. But after I didn't think so.... :(

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Bombadilillo posted:

I just wish I had gave that chick one last gently caress before she died. She wanted to. But, I thought she was trying to trick me. But after I didn't think so.... :(

We're still talking about videogames, right?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

SiKboy posted:

The PS2/Xbox Minority Report game was like this. It was a brawler, for some reason, and Not Tom Cruise insists I DIDN'T KILL ANYONE, while you throw swarms of cops through windows, off buildings, into trains, club them with pipes and bats, etc.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Badass Yakuza freaking out at the sight of a gun in Y0 cutscenes was weird and funny at first, but as it kept happening I kept thinking about it and realized that American culture has totally desensitized me to guns and that their reaction makes plenty of sense.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

acksplode posted:

Badass Yakuza freaking out at the sight of a gun in Y0 cutscenes was weird and funny at first, but as it kept happening I kept thinking about it and realized that American culture has totally desensitized me to guns and that their reaction makes plenty of sense.
Yeah flashing a gun in Japan means not just that you're a gangster but you are a really connected and/or psycho one. The police barely care about yakuza activity unless guns (or drugs?) are involved.

edit: not that that's a good thing; I'd like them to give more of a poo poo about trafficking sex slaves from the Philippines or wherever because that's kinda bad too.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Sep 23, 2017

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

^^^
Or that its a 100% accurate airsoft replica

Yeah man we are hosed up in usa

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

You just walk of gunshot wounds in yakuza 0 so i don't know why they care so much

E: plotwise, i mean

E2: duh, americans are weird about guns

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Lobok posted:

We're still talking about videogames, right?

Yeah. In the fantasy land she wanted to get laid before 'what she had to do'. i didnt know she was going to suicide mission it

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

DreamShipWrecked posted:

S rank, sure, but the Mother Base mechanic is all about non-lethal captures. You can cut a swath of blood across the map but all you are going to get out of it is some BP

The best soldiers voluntarily join you as mission rewards and will fill your base regardless, it's actually more like Dishonored in that all your Mother Base soldiers are probably tortured and brainwashed by Ocelot

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The best soldiers voluntarily join you as mission rewards and will fill your base regardless, it's actually more like Dishonored in that all your Mother Base soldiers are probably tortured and brainwashed by Ocelot
Yeah, they will all join you, it just takes longer if they're more willful. Either way they're on an artificial island in the middle of the ocean, what other choice do they have?

edit: once they have made the transition they straight-up ask you to kick your rear end when they see you and thank you when you're done. Fraternities would love to have hazing rituals that effective.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Sep 23, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Metal Gear Solid V: The Implication

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

hell, i'd let big boss beat me up

but i wouldn't let venom snake beat me up

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
My favorite example of video game morality is the guy who completed a no-kill run in New Vegas by leaving House languishing in a coffin slowly dying a horrific death of airborne disease...but he didn't shoot him so it still said zero in the stats.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Wolfsheim posted:

My favorite example of video game morality is the guy who completed a no-kill run in New Vegas by leaving House languishing in a coffin slowly dying a horrific death of airborne disease...but he didn't shoot him so it still said zero in the stats.

I forget which game it was but you could slide KOd dude into water to drown and if they hit dry land first you were all good for no kills.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

hitman didn't count environmental kills against you iirc

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

hitman didn't count environmental kills against you iirc
yeah but that's less "ah you're playing the Moral Agent 47" and more "haha they didn't realize I killed that guy sick"

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

that's why it's good

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

JBP posted:

I forget which game it was but you could slide KOd dude into water to drown and if they hit dry land first you were all good for no kills.
In the first hour of Dishonored I tranqed a guy and he fell with his head dangling underwater but he isn't dead so it's ok.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I botched a no kill run of MGS3 once. Ended up with one kill. I can't remember if it was because the game counted a kill from one of the guards I knocked out falling asleep on quicksand or if because vultures ate him.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Samurai Sanders posted:

In the first hour of Dishonored I tranqed a guy and he fell with his head dangling underwater but he isn't dead so it's ok.

He got eaten by rats anyway.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Persona 5 is really fuckin good.

:yotj:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Is there no way to mute a mic without a mute button?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Bust Rodd posted:

One thing that action games need to stop loving up is giving me morally ambiguous bad guys. Deus Ex: Human Revolution pits you against terrorists and PMC's the whole game, hired killers who are consistently portrayed as murderous bigots.

But then in Deus Ex: Mankind Divided the whole game has you fighting like cops (some of whom might be corrupt) and security guards (who work for someone that you are trying to reason with) and like occasionally some mafia tough guys. I don't get to go ham on them because they feel like innocent bystanders and not like they deserve it.

I can't really enjoy video games where its predicated on killing innocent people. I'm the guy that drives on the road in Grand Theft Auto.

Dishonored gives you the perspective of "Everyone is in on this grand conspiracy" so it was easy for me to flit past the guards but enact bloody vengeance on all the key players.

This is honestly part of why Wolfenstein and DOOM are so successful, because they are both full of satisfying-to-shoot enemies.

Maybe the bad guy.... is you!!!

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I didn't mind the chaos state in Dishonored in the sense that it changed the world some and made dialogue systems different, but I do wish that I didn't have to sit through a lecture by the Outside about what a bad, bad boy I was. The fact that he is a Real God that gives people powers and sees what they do with them is cool and interesting, but having him then go "SO YOU LIKE BLOOD EH" is annoying.

It gives you piles of stuff to kill with and then slaps your hand whenever you actually use them. It's MGSV all over again.

The final game in the Dishonored series is literally called “Death of the Outsider” and it’s pretty clear that you’re going to do the deathing so I’m not sure that Dishonored thinks you should necessarily agree with this guy or worry about what he thinks of you.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I will give credit to Dishonored for showing you stats at the end of a level and letting you know if someone slipped into a sewer or whatever. Deus Ex HR/MD keeps it a total mystery. I played through MD twice going for ghost and never got the trophy.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Rinkles posted:

Is there no way to mute a mic without a mute button?

I don't know if this is what you are looking for but long press the PS button and set the mic volume to min and that's basically a mute since I've tested that you need to shout hard for it to activate.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I will give credit to Dishonored for showing you stats at the end of a level and letting you know if someone slipped into a sewer or whatever. Deus Ex HR/MD keeps it a total mystery. I played through MD twice going for ghost and never got the trophy.

Good lord I couldn't make it through that poo poo even once. I wasn't high on Human Revolution either. At least Invisible War was an interesting failure.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Metal Gear Solid V: The Implication

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

JBP posted:

I think my favorite version of this was a platformer where you had a reflection barrier you could use on a short cooldown, and if an enemy shot at you but got killed by their reflected projectile it didn't count.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah flashing a gun in Japan means not just that you're a gangster but you are a really connected and/or psycho one. The police barely care about yakuza activity unless guns (or drugs?) are involved.

edit: not that that's a good thing; I'd like them to give more of a poo poo about trafficking sex slaves from the Philippines or wherever because that's kinda bad too.

All I gotta do to intimidate real-life yakuza is flex my American-ness? I'm booking a trip to Japan right now!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Yeah it is

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

...! posted:

All I gotta do to intimidate real-life yakuza is flex my American-ness? I'm booking a trip to Japan right now!
Yeah I'm sure it'll go great. I'll watch from uhhh...over here.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I got to meet some Yakuza in 2011 while doing disaster relief in the far northern tip of Japan and they were incredibly cool and nice to me but that's because we were working our asses off to rebuild their city and as much as I appreciated all their money and help (they seriously personally funded rebuilding the city I was posted in) I could never shake the feeling that they were always doing hosed up stuff behind closed doors (that's where their money comes from) so it was just a weird place to be.

Always down to rap about tattoos though, especially the old guys, so we talked about that a lot. We split the boathouse with two old heads, one guy had a full body dragon cherry blossom tree from shoulders to ankles and one guy had 3 giant tigers wrapped around and only 9 fingers. They acted very polite and super business-manlike but they dressed EXACTLY the way they dress in video games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I'll finish it one of these days. I'm in Dec. so I know I'm not far from the end.