Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

That's really cute! Also, tangentially related, those are my two favorite characters and I recently got their fancy dress straps and they make me so very happy because they are so very, very cute. These ones.

I'm assuming you got just the straps you wanted and not the whole set, so...where did you go for that? I only know of places that sell full sets and I know sometimes people set up box shares but that is kind of a hassle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

PMush Perfect posted:

The whole industry kind of feels like it's dancing on the edge of a bubble. Everyone in the business has to work halfway to death in order to keep up, the average population is getting older, and of the young people that do exist, more and more of them are also getting exposed to foreign comics/etc. It seems like it's only a matter of time before something gives.

I think One Piece ending will pop that bubble, if it doesn't happen before that

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

Mirage posted:

Hahaha Rhode Island, huh? Maybe ... Paragon City, R.I.?

I sought out this thread to confirm I wasn't the only one who caught that. I know 1pm is based on the author's city of heroes adventures, would be pretty cool if this was too.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Kyte posted:

Hero Sociology is exactly the sort of stuff I want from a MHA side story.
Horikoshi did such an excellent job with this aspect that it got him a cold. :v:

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Being from Rhode Island which is very tiny it still instills a great amount of joy in me whenever it's mentioned in anything for any reason so thanks @ Horikoshi or whoever writes the side manga for including me in your lore.

It was probably Lincoln Chafee that did it too, the crazy bastard.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

Being from Rhode Island which is very tiny it still instills a great amount of joy in me whenever it's mentioned in anything for any reason so thanks @ Horikoshi or whoever writes the side manga for including me in your lore.

It was probably Lincoln Chafee that did it too, the crazy bastard.
Rhode Island and Connecticut don't get enough love as states for being part of New England.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
This is from an issue of SMASH, RE: Horikoshi.

Fantastic Flyer
Aug 9, 2017
That's one grim portrait

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Fantastic Flyer posted:

That's one grim portrait
I can't find the other page but he starts screaming about how he could've fixed all these panels if he had even one more minute and sprays blood everywhere. All Might kinda gives up on asking for more hero time.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
He loves his hands.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

dogsicle posted:

I'm assuming you got just the straps you wanted and not the whole set, so...where did you go for that? I only know of places that sell full sets and I know sometimes people set up box shares but that is kind of a hassle.

Yep, sorry, I just got Tsuyu and Tokoyams. As for where, I live in Japan at the moment so I just got them from an Animate and got lucky with the blind boxes. I have no idea what I'm going to do for merch when I'm back in the states, it's so much more expensive. :(

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Rhonne posted:

He loves his hands.

They're very expressive.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Sadly I don't think the manga industry is going to change until a super popular author(like Oda) drops dead from overwork.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

RatHat posted:

Sadly I don't think the manga industry is going to change until a super popular author(like Oda) drops dead from overwork.
An animator for one of the big studios literally died at his desk recently IIRC.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Fabricated posted:

An animator for one of the big studios literally died at his desk recently IIRC.

Exactly "an animator" you don't even know him because he's just an animator. That's like "an assistant" or "an intern" dying because of over work. It's awful but most people will just ignore it because the people who do a lot of lovely work in unfair conditions are basically sub-human to the majority of the public.

RatHat posted:

Is right. No one's really going to change anything until more publicly important people die from things they should have, and could have, easily prevented.

Anyway I really liked that illegals chapter and am really liking how that series is shaking out.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

his name was Kazunori Mizuno and he definitely had enough high profile credits to be well-known. the death was more widely reported citing his director credit on Naruto, rather than "animator." that article is worth a read because there are definitely some flawed aspects to this narrative in the west.

i'm cynical enough about the commercial aspect to the industry that i think even an amazingly high profile death would not convince them to change. i can only hope that the work people in Japan and the industry are already doing, and will do, eventually coalesces into changes.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i vaguely recall some up and coming person who got to direct(?) one well-received movie and then died from overwork just as it looked like their career was about to take off but i cant for the life of me find them or remember what movie

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
anyway imo if tezuka killing himself w overwork wasnt enough to dramatically change the industry, i dont see any other deaths changing it either. imo pmush has the right of it w the industry itself eventually collapsing or at least undergoing a massive shift due to outside forces

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
There's also the part of it where there are people in the industry who believe working yourself to death is a badge of honor and you're just not real about your work if you're not sleeping in your office and starving yourself

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Tollymain posted:

anyway imo if tezuka killing himself w overwork wasnt enough to dramatically change the industry, i dont see any other deaths changing it either. imo pmush has the right of it w the industry itself eventually collapsing or at least undergoing a massive shift due to outside forces
Tezuka literally died begging for his art tools back because he wanted to keep working.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Miserable Maid
Apr 22, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
That's beautiful..... My disgusting grape friend

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

PMush Perfect posted:

The whole industry kind of feels like it's dancing on the edge of a bubble. Everyone in the business has to work halfway to death in order to keep up, the average population is getting older, and of the young people that do exist, more and more of them are also getting exposed to foreign comics/etc. It seems like it's only a matter of time before something gives.

I kinda feel the opposite. I mean to be sure, there might not be as many/any Dragonball/One Piece class "cultural masterworks" on the horizon but the amount of, and healthiness (at least if the level they get promoted and talked about are any indicator) of online manga seems to indicate the business is expanding, even if the heights aren't quite as high for everyone. Self published stuff is included with that, along with stuff that gets thrown up on Pixiv and becomes part of... whatever their whole publishing thing is.

That will kinda act as a backdoor in terms of decreasing the expectations in terms of worktime, I think. When you make your own schedule you're (hopefully) sensible enough to make it something that's more livable, especially when you cut out however much extra time having to spend sending something to an editor and getting it published in a magazine

Plus, while weekly comics might still be the gold standard, other options are more viable than ever. I'm sure you risk a bit by not having that "HOT OFF THE PRESSES EVERY WEEK" presence in people's minds... maybe it's worth it, if your life in general is better.

FrantzX
Jan 28, 2007

Fabricated posted:

Tezuka literally died begging for his art tools back because he wanted to keep working.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osamu_Tezuka#Death_and_legacy

quote:

Tezuka died of stomach cancer on 9 February 1989 in Tokyo.[16] His last words were: "I'm begging you, let me work!", spoken to a nurse who had tried to take away his drawing equipment.[17]

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/mialoveless1/status/911390330636845056

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
So I just started reading and I gotta ask

Does Bakugo calm down on being a tremendous piece of poo poo? I was down for the whole ~rival~ thing until he straight up told Izuki to loving kill himself so I'm okay with him getting killed off or whatever.

Does he chill the gently caress out at any point?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

bakugou does actually have a character arc and grows as a person, yes

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
but he's still a piece of poo poo who would tell anyone he deems worthless to go kill themselves

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
It'd be great if they just had him say that poo poo near a teacher and they react appropriately IE he gets expelled instantly and he never shows up again

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

OldTennisCourt posted:

So I just started reading and I gotta ask

Does Bakugo calm down on being a tremendous piece of poo poo? I was down for the whole ~rival~ thing until he straight up told Izuki to loving kill himself so I'm okay with him getting killed off or whatever.

Does he chill the gently caress out at any point?

yeah, he gets a lot better after getting dunked on a few times and stops being a big fish in a small pond. He's an amazing rear end in a top hat but he doesn't do anything like tell Deku to kill himself. There's a reason the thread title for ages was 'Nobody is Sasuke'

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Elfgames posted:

but he's still a piece of poo poo who would tell anyone he deems worthless to go kill themselves

Well no he has not told anyone to go kill themselves again.

Thought he tends to say DIE and I'LL KILL YOU a lot.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Bakugo screaming "DIE!!!" as his battlecry in every situation no matter his opponent and regardless of him never actually aiming to legitimately kill them is perfection.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Bakugou is tough and mean and ornery and it's great. Especially when he stops being borderline homicidal about it.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Yeah bakugou is a great character, he's a great foil for midoriya and you rarely see such an unrelenting rear end in a top hat antisocial overachiever played straight as a good guy. The fact that he never makes the stereotypical shonen deuteragonist turn of being defeated by the protagonist and becoming a neutered best friend cheerleader and he had a "uh oh might join the bad guys" arc and told them to gently caress off with 0 hesitation or temptation says so much about the series being importantly self-aware and subverting tropes.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Also it's worth noting, none of Bakugo's lovely attitude toward others has been rewarded or portrayed as a good thing by anybody at UA. The way a lot of his classmates just sort of disregard or breezily comment on it off to the side might come across as acceptance or whatever but it's really not. They all just put up with him because they know most of the time his bark is bigger than his bite (except with Midoriya, which is an extremely complicated, separate issue). Several teachers either comment on how messed up he is or actively try to do something about it. The reason he's at the top of the class and treated like a big deal is because, despite all that, he does earn his spot. He got lucky with his quirk, for sure, but he also worked super hard to get to where he is. It's definitely a valid point that his awful personality isn't suited to being a pro hero because even Midoriya's been chastised for his lack of outward confidence being "unfitting" of the image of a Hero. Presumably that will get more focus as the series goes.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

OldTennisCourt posted:

It'd be great if they just had him say that poo poo near a teacher and they react appropriately IE he gets expelled instantly and he never shows up again

It kinda amuses me whenever anyone says this kind of thing, because that kind of treatment would be telling society's less savory elements "Here is a human grenade launcher/artillery cannon, please use him to commit crimes"

The tolerance that the adults in MHA have for Bakugo is because you don't let a one-man bombing spree out of your sight. And they are constantly breathing down his neck, even though he's a top performer, because of his rage boner. It's also worth noting that Deku is the only one we see really suffer because of Bakugo's attitude (everyone else just dismisses him as a pissed off weirdo, like shonen manga Yosimite Sam) and that's only because of their weird personal relationship.

in a less interesting story, Bakugo would just be a Malfoy-esque "gifted prodigy who gets shown up by the hard working underdog" character. Instead he's the crazily driven ambitious guy who's deeply threatened/angry when the guy he wrote off as doomed for obscurity is blessed with the kind of good luck that only happens to protagonists in fictional stories.

he's pretty good

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I don't know that Bakugo has actually grown as a person so much as he no longer has any helpless people to bully in his immediate social circle.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

tbf Bakugo felt threatened by the guy he wrote off as doomed to obscurity before he got awesome powers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

bakugo is ok but imo he is less powerful than the guy who eats sugar. In a world filled with sugar he has,limitless potential