Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

weed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The fact that PUBG has an explicit rule against anyone ever working together unless you're specifically playing a team mode is something I didn't even know until 30 minutes ago, but is the perfect example of what I meant when I said it seems such a flat and sterile experience.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

precision posted:

The fact that PUBG has an explicit rule against anyone ever working together unless you're specifically playing a team mode is something I didn't even know until 30 minutes ago, but is the perfect example of what I meant when I said it seems such a flat and sterile experience.

Wait is that really true lol

I feel like I keep hearing about all this weird unnecessary policing of things that the PUBG devs do and it feels weirdly strict for no good reason? Like that stream sniping issue that recently came up, it's like well it's your game and it's your right to do that but... really?

Also the thing with Fortnite where they are considering taking "further action" legally against the Fortnite devs is :rolleyes: Like sure okay maybe the Fortnite devs shouldn't be namedropping PUBG in their marketing but not a single thing about PUBG is original to you so don't even act like Fortnite is stealing your game idea

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

precision posted:

I disagree with a lot of your arguments in that I'll probably enjoy PUBG when I do play it (aka when it's no longer EA, for what that means nowadays) but yeah, everything I hear around the periphery--banning gimmick players and people who just want to screw around, overcatering to streamers, this whole Fortnite thing--makes me wary.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
didnt see a tgs thread but im here, wondering why the jp logo for evil within looks so bad

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Whats wrong with sycho reak 2

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Real hurthling! posted:

Whats wrong with sycho reak 2

i cant wait to reak more sychos

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

boy are my arms tired posted:

didnt see a tgs thread but im here, wondering why the jp logo for evil within looks so bad

"Psycho Break" is a hilarious name, here's some shots from the artbook (which I own, it's fantastic!) where you can see just how poorly it creates a logo compared to "The Evil Within".

I uploaded the entire artbook during my LP and I suggest you go look at it if you like the Dead Space artbook because it's very cool and extensive.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

CJacobs posted:

"Psycho Break" is a hilarious name, here's some shots from the artbook (which I own, it's fantastic!) where you can see just how poorly it creates a logo compared to "The Evil Within".

I uploaded the entire artbook during my LP and I suggest you go look at it if you like the Dead Space artbook because it's very cool and extensive.

the bottom right logo looks decent actually, wow

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

boy are my arms tired posted:

the bottom right logo looks decent actually, wow

I was gonna say the same thing! I actually really like that one

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I like the middle left one with the ice pick on top of "Psycho" cuz it gives some punchiness to the word "break". But drat Psycho Break is an awful name. GOD I'M SO EXCITED FOR THE EVIL WITHIN 2

edit: By the way, I like Oxenfree. I'm not too far in but I like the general tone of the story/world. Also, as I mentioned, being a dick to my friends. Thanks precision!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Sep 23, 2017

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Actually, Psycho Break is M. Bison's attack.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Psycho break addict insane

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
https://twitter.com/surtrtweets/status/911391859934679040

this thread is good, i say, as i toot my own horn annoyingly

toot

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

precision posted:

No Items, Fox Only, Final Destination

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I know people are trying to make PUBG into an esport and ironically the films and fiction that inspired the mode of gameplay are all very sports-like but I can't imagine caring about a competitive scene around the thing. I only watch as much of it as I do because all the media people I follow got sucked into it like that game that took over the Enterprise in Star Trek

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I know people are trying to make PUBG into an esport and ironically the films and fiction that inspired the mode of gameplay are all very sports-like but I can't imagine caring about a competitive scene around the thing

There's way too much randomness for that to be interesting in the long term.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I know people are trying to make PUBG into an esport and ironically the films and fiction that inspired the mode of gameplay are all very sports-like but I can't imagine caring about a competitive scene around the thing. I only watch as much of it as I do because all the media people I follow got sucked into it like that game that took over the Enterprise in Star Trek

I know from the bombcast that the winner of the invitational just sat outside the forcefield chugging health items and getting zero kills until the very end. :effort:

I also think the whole "peeking" thing, where you can angle the camera to see above fences and around walls while fully in cover is very lame, so I'll probably only ever play in first-person servers.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I didn't watch their first esports match so idk maybe it works, but I don't understand how that game is even remotely supposed to function in an esports context. the spectator stuff they've added is good but if you're a fan of one dude how the heck are you supposed to follow how he's doing. meanwhile in a fg tournament I can be just like "okay tell me when this dude is up and then I'll watch the semis/finals"

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
dear Atlus.

please make an Etrian Odyssey game I can play on my tv.

thank you.

your friend

Reality

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Competitions with more than 2 sides at a time have never really worked, because the best strategy invariable ends up being 'wait for everyone else to start fighting then swoop in for the kill'. If you look at the history of competitive FPSs, it started as Doom deathmatch free for alls, but eventually settled in to 1v1s (Quake 3 Arena), or team based settings (CSGO, Overwatch, TF2, etc). To make a king of the hill style FPS work competitively, you're going to have to bend over backwards to make people play the "right" way, and by then what is even the point.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Mmm yummy. Forty-minutes of new Oddworld stuff.

.....Now Lorne I'm looking at this chart @10:20 and I'm really interested to know...

Y'know kinda interested...what exactly are these upper-tiers of the Oddworld Population Control Structure going to look like? Like how do you personify a Globalist Banker?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Mmm yummy. Forty-minutes of new Oddworld stuff.

.....Now Lorne I'm looking at this chart @10:20 and I'm really interested to know...

Y'know kinda interested...what exactly are these upper-tiers of the Oddworld Population Control Structure going to look like? Like how do you personify a Globalist Banker?

I skipped ahead in the video to a part where they're talking about the new character designs they're able to do now with this new game. The new characters for Abe's race are cool but WOW the Glukkons! They're so varied and interesting looking while still obviously all being part of the same race. That poo poo is so cool. Loving those designs. They also focus a lot on the eyes which is always super important and it really shows

The logo needs to be better tho

edit: I really need to see gameplay cause man is the description of it killing my interest. Sometimes it sounds like he's describing an RTS, sometimes it sounds like it's like the original game only with crafting for some terrible reason

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Sep 23, 2017

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/andrearitsu/status/911442424001630208
https://twitter.com/andrearitsu/status/911443021878710273

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Reality Winner posted:

Competitions with more than 2 sides at a time have never really worked, because the best strategy invariable ends up being 'wait for everyone else to start fighting then swoop in for the kill'. If you look at the history of competitive FPSs, it started as Doom deathmatch free for alls, but eventually settled in to 1v1s (Quake 3 Arena), or team based settings (CSGO, Overwatch, TF2, etc). To make a king of the hill style FPS work competitively, you're going to have to bend over backwards to make people play the "right" way, and by then what is even the point.

I went looking for hilarious salty gamers complaining about "teaming" in PUBG (and hoo boy is there a lot of "I'm playing SOLO it's bullshit if I need FRIENDS to WIN") and someone brought up a game I've never heard of that had a solution to this that actually sounds good ("good" working under the assumption that you can/should try to police this behavior at all):

If two players were in visual range of each other for a certain amount of time and didn't kill each other, they get separated into a little bubble. Two man enter, one man leave, and if one doesn't kill the other, after a set amount of time, they both die.

But again that's presupposing it's even a good idea, which of course it isn't because there is no reliable and foolproof way to police human behavior like that, and since Getting Actually Banned is on the line, you really need to be careful about what you do as a developer unless you want your game to be overrun by LONE_WOLF_SNIPER_SEPHIROTH_420 clones... oh... wait... yeah.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Sega does what Nintendon't.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That's my OC on the left

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
burn all hooters down

wings suck

beer is watered down and overpriced

girls working there somehow seem even more sad than strippers

(i base this on the exactly 1 time i went into a hooters to kill time until my then-girlfriend got off work because it was the closest place with beer and food)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Sega does what Nintenwon't.

ftfy

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Macaluso posted:

edit: I really need to see gameplay cause man is the description of it killing my interest. Sometimes it sounds like he's describing an RTS, sometimes it sounds like it's like the original game only with crafting for some terrible reason

It sounds like he wants to make the game they originally envisioned Munch to be (gameplay mechanic-wise), before they realized they couldn't make the game they wanted without spending another few years on it and they had already promised to make it a 2001 launch title.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

What the hell, y'all were talking about a bunch of boring stuff from TGS and no one mentioned the most important development

https://twitter.com/TreesOfYavanna/status/910307154959241216

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

precision posted:

burn all hooters down

you seem to be overlooking the funniest part about this, which is that there are hooters franchises in japan

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I couldn't figure out how to play neko atsume, never found any cats

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
neko atsume is incredibly good

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
by my decree every game must now have a city trial mode

Thanks to HotSoapyBeard for the sig image!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

homeless snail posted:

I couldn't figure out how to play neko atsume, never found any cats

You put out food/toys (just food at the start) and check back later. If you check back too late, the food will be gone and so will the cat, but if you check relatively soon after the cat will still be there chilling and you can take a photo of it and steal receive phat loot from it.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

What the fuuuuu

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hooters the Owl is my OC in Sonic Forces, I don't understand why people are so up in arms about this.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

by my decree every game must now have a city trial mode

wtf is a city trial mode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

One day Sonic The Hedgehog with be more meme than game.

• Locked thread