Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PCOS Bill posted:

I thought it was all of them, since he has never written anything but schlock

lol no

King has wrote some good stuff. Not everything, of course, but some of his stuff is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Seventh Arrow posted:

Yeah, I recall hearing that Cujo was the one where he doesn't remember anything about writing it.

I think it was Cujo he admits to just waking up after a drug fueled bender and whoops, here's a novel. But I think it's pretty safe to assume a lot of his older stuff was written while pretty high.

Randaconda posted:

Tommyknockers.

In an interview not too long ago, he said (paraphrasing) "There's a good 350 page book in there, but not at 700 pages."

He also didn't realize he'd written a book about addiction until years after it'd been published.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Shining, right?

(still one of my favorite horror novels of all time)

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
I'm sure he said he doesn't remember directing Maximum Overdrive

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

We Know Catheters posted:

I'm sure he said he doesn't remember directing Maximum Overdrive

I would say that too if I had directed Maximum Overdrive.

If you wanna see some AUG acting, watch his segment from Creepshow.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

grittyreboot posted:

I would say that too if I had directed Maximum Overdrive.

If you wanna see some AUG acting, watch his segment from Creepshow.

I like both those movies. :negative:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Nuebot posted:

I think it was Cujo he admits to just waking up after a drug fueled bender and whoops, here's a novel. But I think it's pretty safe to assume a lot of his older stuff was written while pretty high.

I'm reading It right now and I wouldn't be surprised if it was also made on a bender. It's over 1400 pages of King seemingly writing stream-of-consciousness and then trying to fit the pieces together.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Seventh Arrow posted:

Yeah, I recall hearing that Cujo was the one where he doesn't remember anything about writing it.

unless i'm mis-remembering that story it doesn't seem like something written while high as gently caress on cocaine. weird.

Lonely Virgil
Oct 9, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

I remember that guy from the TV Tropes thread. (This is probably all in the video but I can't watch it on a work computer.)

He would quite happily go from whinging that homosexuality offended him because it was against his religion (which he seemed to change depending on his mood anyway) to bragging about how much he loved to masturbate in a pair of poo poo-filled nappies.

He was banned from the TV Tropes forum and started moaning on some other forum about how it was the worst thing that had ever happened to him and how he might as well kill himself because he'd lost the only thing that gave his life meaning (which was TV Tropes, apparently).

I believe he was last glimpsed on some anime board complaining about how TV Tropes banned him because they're bigoted against paedophiles.

He's a redditor now.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I hear you're a redditor now, Father!

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

TheHoosier posted:

unless i'm mis-remembering that story it doesn't seem like something written while high as gently caress on cocaine. weird.

Cujo is a well-constructed horror novel that was super mainstream for the era. So I'm betting on Tommyknockers for the drug book, because it makes no loving sense.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

AlbieQuirky posted:

Cujo is a well-constructed horror novel that was super mainstream for the era. So I'm betting on Tommyknockers for the drug book, because it makes no loving sense.

It's like it almost made perfect sense but then you felt it slipping away into nothing.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

I'm reading It right now and I wouldn't be surprised if it was also made on a bender. It's over 1400 pages of King seemingly writing stream-of-consciousness and then trying to fit the pieces together.
I have this morbid fascination with IT that was rejuvenated with the movie which has led me to study it a decent amount, and I agree.

IT is so long and has so many arching themes and narrative goals that it ends up being less than the sum of its parts, but it's so many parts that most of them fit together in interesting ways even if the whole is kind-of a mess.

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

dont forget about the underage gangbang in IT

never loving forget motherfucker

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

HATECUBE posted:

dont forget about the underage gangbang in IT

never loving forget motherfucker

Actually I'm trying to.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I love IT. :smithcloud: (Not that part)

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That's the first thing I cast aside every time I analyze It. I get what King wanted to go for, he failed horribly, and it's super gross. There's not much more that can be said about it other than "ew"

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
He's a degenerate liberal, that's all there is to it.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Randaconda posted:

I like both those movies. :negative:

Creepshow is great, but King's dumbass redneck is a little embarrassing to watch. Except when he says "meteor poo poo" because that's hilarious.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Howard Beale posted:

Creepshow is great, but King's dumbass redneck is a little embarrassing to watch. Except when he says "meteor poo poo" because that's hilarious.

The funny part is that it's just an exaggerated version of King's natural accent.

Never forget he's just whatever the Maine version of redneck is made good.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Oh, ayuh.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

White glamour model with size 32S breasts who spent £50k on cosmetic surgery now 'identifies as a black woman'

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

:stare:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

How can that just be 32?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

How can that just be 32?

Some sort of UKian sizing, I'd imagine.

Silverfish
May 23, 2005
graaaaaaaagh
The "32" is the band size, measured under the bust, and the letter is the cup size. S is ginormous.

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

She went into a plastic surgeon's office with a photo of a humongous fat rear end and said "give me THIS" and a horrible misunderstanding was made...

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Subjunctive posted:

How can that just be 32?

Get a load of this guy

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Silverfish posted:

The "32" is the band size, measured under the bust, and the letter is the cup size. S is ginormous.

Right, under the bust. I'll go back to sleep now.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
I remember reading an interview King did about IT, and the huge backlash about the child orgy thing. During the interview, he said something to the effect of, 'Amazing how much people have been screaming and yelling about the child sex scene, but don't say a word about the kids I've tortured and murdered in the very same book.' Or something similar. Really made me realize how hosed up we are as Americans.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zipperelli. posted:

I remember reading an interview King did about IT, and the huge backlash about the child orgy thing. During the interview, he said something to the effect of, 'Amazing how much people have been screaming and yelling about the child sex scene, but don't say a word about the kids I've tortured and murdered in the very same book.' Or something similar. Really made me realize how hosed up we are as Americans.

Or how the entire theme of the book is child abuse and how people ignore it.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The difference is twofold:

1. We as American audiences are conditioned to expect torture and murder in horror stories, and while torturing/killing small children is on the edge IT still doesn't feature anything that sadistic beyond the tragedy that is child murder. The worst I can think of off-hand was that psycho kid who stuffed animals into a junkyard fridge where they'd either die or he'd come back, torture them, then put them back in the fridge to die. 50s Movie Monsters just aren't that brutal guys.

2. Any concept can be pulled off with enough skill--Lolita is proof of that--but well, look at how good Nabokov had to be to make Lolita work. The themes of child abuse, acceptance of mortality, sexual awakening, dark Americana, Baby Boomer strife, eldritch cosmology, and many others are there and they're good...but they're not good enough to pull off a child orgy. Can't fault King too much-- he shot high and he committed--but well, yeah turns out you need a lot less skill to make child murder palatable than you do to make a gangbang in a sewer a mystical coming-of-age ritual. That's why I'm so fascinated by IT-- it goes all over the place and if King had pared himself down over a few drafts, or even chopped up the novel into different books with more thematically focused arcs he maybe could have structured and smoothed out the bumps to make the sausage party resonant in any way beyond :stare:... but even then it's a loving child orgy. I don't care how prudish you want to call Americans for not finding that enjoyable.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Yeah, the abuse is something bad they go through, but the graphic underaged gangbang is lovingly presented as a solution, is the big difference I think. People will be horrified by abuse no problem, which was the point, but I bet they'd have probably complained if it was presented as something great for the kids.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

It could have just been a kiss and would have had about as much impact for the story.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIkp3_YenEg

ashnjack
Jun 8, 2010

FUCK FLOWERS. JUST...FUCK 'EM.
I found this in the related videos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BAoYNV5O78
The wii music is a surprisingly good fit.

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.

Weldon Pemberton posted:

Why not post the full uncut version (that was taken down for disgusting content, but people often reupload):

:nws: :nms: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vdkvadv8DJQ:nws: :nms:

Made it to about 1:30 and then had to stop. I couldn't continue, it was too much.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I think the whole point of the underage gangbang was one of the bridges between childhood and adulthood is sex. Whenever a boy loses his virginity it's pretty common to say " He's a man now". What King was trying to pull off was showing that after all the trauma and abuse they had endured, they were ready to move on from childhood and into adulthood, that after what they had been through they couldn't really be considered kids anymore. He failed miserably, even as loving and "gentle" as the 6 boys running a train on the one girl in the group was portrayed.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Killing your first clown would make you a man too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

LingcodKilla posted:

Killing your first clown would make you a man too.

What if they had run a train on the clown

• Locked thread