Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Not in the dog scene

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Ok 6 episodes in and Patriot is not only the most original show of 2017, but it might be the best. Before I would of said Master of None or Atlanta, but this might surpass both of them.

Still would I give it the Emmy for best drama? It is really hard to call it a pure drama, because it is funny as hell. That said if it was actually nominated for best drama along with my favorite dramas like The Leftovers, Halt & Catch Fire, or Handmaid's Tale I would have no issue with any of those 4 winning.

But deep down inside I think Handmaid's Tale would be a the bottom of those 4. The Leftovers and Halt I would want to win over it, because these are great shows coming to their end that I feel never got the respect or viewers they deserved. Patriot is a new show that I want to see not only renewed for several seasons, but I want it to get the viewers it deserves. So while it is all apples and oranges, give the best of 2017 to Patriot (unless it fucks up the remaining episodes).

I want to talk people about this show, but no loving one watches it. Urg...I had to stop watching it tonight cause I'm drunk.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Patriot is probably my top show of the year. Just fantastic executiom of an original concept.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The last 1/3 of Patriot is insanely good. It sets a high bar for itself and then just keeps clearing that bar with ease. It's seriously nuts how well put together the entire thing is, and how tightly plotted and dense with information. If nothing else, no other show in recent memory rewards rewatches.

"Can I get two Japanese girls..."

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Is Patriot good even if you hate America

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

Is Patriot good even if you hate America

It's especially good if you hate America.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

EL BROMANCE posted:

UK thread generally covers it but been quiet this year.

And be a rebel and call it by it’s real, not ‘changed for US copyright reasons’, name - The Great British Bake Off. Or just Bake Off.

Or GBBO (pronounced "gibbo", natch)
Why did they change the name on the US anyway? Does Pillsbury own a copyright on the words "bake off" or some stupid poo poo like that?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah something like that, can't remember if it's Pilsbury or another company. Just isn't the same.

Nick Rivers
Nov 23, 2004
Independence Day is a popcorn classic.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
My dad of all people has got me watching The Originals and I don't hate it? Should I watch Vampire Diaries now too or seek professional help?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Start a tumblr right away and learn to ship like a 27 year old single woman.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Rocksicles posted:

I have been watching Supernatural since 2005 so I've got B down pat

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
4 minutes into the Nathan For You special and I just spit coffee all over the couch, seriously. What a line read.

"it was a mother and a daughter combo"

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Rocksicles posted:

Does that involve calling the police on your favourite actor's wife in an attempt to have her arrested?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

nate fisher posted:

Ok 6 episodes in and Patriot is not only the most original show of 2017, but it might be the best. Before I would of said Master of None or Atlanta, but this might surpass both of them.

Still would I give it the Emmy for best drama? It is really hard to call it a pure drama, because it is funny as hell. That said if it was actually nominated for best drama along with my favorite dramas like The Leftovers, Halt & Catch Fire, or Handmaid's Tale I would have no issue with any of those 4 winning.

But deep down inside I think Handmaid's Tale would be a the bottom of those 4. The Leftovers and Halt I would want to win over it, because these are great shows coming to their end that I feel never got the respect or viewers they deserved. Patriot is a new show that I want to see not only renewed for several seasons, but I want it to get the viewers it deserves. So while it is all apples and oranges, give the best of 2017 to Patriot (unless it fucks up the remaining episodes).

I want to talk people about this show, but no loving one watches it. Urg...I had to stop watching it tonight cause I'm drunk.

Hell yeah Patriot is so good. Also not to be too pedantic but Atlanta was 2016

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Flatscan posted:

Does that involve calling the police on your favourite actor's wife in an attempt to have her arrested?

That's playing Roy on the "off your meds" path.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

ID4 is great

ID4-2 is turbo garbage

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Hooooooly poo poo the season finale of Sneaky Pete. Just hooooooly poo poo.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Josh Lyman posted:

ID4 is great

ID4-2 is turbo garbage

Independence Day 2 was at least a cool idea, even if they bungled it at almost every level. The idea of a movie where humanity fending off an alien invasion (including a protracted guerilla ground war against the aliens who survived their ships crashing) led to world peace and a quantum leap in technology thanks to reverse engineering scavenged alien tech so that when the aliens returned we were prepared and could fight on their level is a really cool one. Especially one that ends with what is effectively a giant kaiju battle.

Independence Day 1 was just the usual Roland Emmerich movie of a bunch of bloated and uninteresting personal stories padding out the few big expensive disaster scenes, only the disaster was aliens. Also they sloppily cut out a minor subplot about how modern computers are based off of what we studied from the crash at Roswell, which is why the ending of the aliens using Apple is completely nonsensical.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
ID 2 had a great movie in it, we just didn't get to see it. I want to watch the movie about that African war lord fighting the aliens on the ground. I want to see a whole movie about the clean up of the alien forces.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
ID is an awesome disaster flick.

ID2 is hot garbage that I paid to see and I was the only person in the theater.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

swickles posted:

ID 2 had a great movie in it, we just didn't get to see it. I want to watch the movie about that African war lord fighting the aliens on the ground. I want to see a whole movie about the clean up of the alien forces.

Just watch Pacific Rim then, it has the added bonus of being a movie worth sitting through.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

raditts posted:

Just watch Pacific Rim then, it has the added bonus of being a movie worth sitting through.

I never saw ID4-2 but if it's worse than that oof.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
ID4-2 sucks.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

X-O posted:

I never saw ID4-2 but if it's worse than that oof.

Worst alien movie since Battlefield Scientology

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Nah it was better than Alien Covenant.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Rocksicles posted:

That's playing Roy on the "off your meds" path.

Probably didn't help Jared Padelecki's serious depression when his insane fans made it so his wife couldnt safely travel with him at cons or they'd swat her at the drop of a hat.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
SO I just started to watch Stark Trek TNG for the first time. Holy poo poo the sets are gaaaaaarbage. The pilot was fun though, I'll keep watching.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Which underappreciated 90s action / disaster movie most deserves to be rebooted as a tv show?

I vote for The Long Kiss Goodnight.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Long Kiss Goodnight is dope. Who would you cast in it?

Edit: I vote for Volcano. Hear me out: the eruption itself takes place during the 2-hour pilot. It pretty much follows the movie, with a few differences. The idea being that the series itself will be a drama about the aftermath and logistics of putting the city, and the characters lives back together. Like in the movie, the main characters would span a cross section of city workers, emergency response workers, and medical workers.

Also probably have another eruption in the season finale. Just because. In a slightly different location.

Snak fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Sep 23, 2017

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Starship Troopers.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

swickles posted:

Starship Troopers.

If you change it so that "Service guarentees citizenship" is now about Mexicans immigrating to the US and Mexico City gets hit instead of Buenos Aires, you address some really topical ideas about both immigration and imperialism.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Snak posted:

Anna Gunn. Next?

EDIT: My vote would be for The Big Hit.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

DivisionPost posted:

Anna Gunn. Next?

EDIT: My vote would be for The Big Hit.

Ooh, good call. What about the Sam Jackson role?

I'm pretty sold on my volcano idea. You could do some stuff with flashbacks too.

Edit: I'm thinking David Harbour for the Tommy Lee Jones character.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Snak posted:

Well, Geena Davis was primarily known for her comedic roles before Harlin pushed as an action headliner (and she had the talent, but I guess the world wasn't ready) so maybe someone with a similar career trajectory would be a good bet? Unfortunately, I don't know many actors off the top of my head who would be in it. I have an odd notion of Gillian Jacobs for some reason.

Keri Russell would probably be the best choice, come to think of it.

Snak posted:

Ooh, good call. What about the Sam Jackson role?

Ideally Sam Jackson himself, to be honest. :v: But if he's not available, either Bokeem Woodbine or Lance Reddick.

Other options:

Assassins - the Sly Stallone / Antonio Banderas movie written (but not directed) by the Wachowskis. Since the Wachowskis now work in TV (are they still partnered with JMS?), they could go back to it, I reckon.

Twister - it'd be a sequel to the movie. Having avenged her father's death, Helen Hunt's character (whether played by Hunt or someone else) must now go on the run when the twister's son comes back to wreak its own bloody retribution.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Shelly taking UCB classes in Transparent s4 is amazing.

Also, Hesh from Sopranos!

edit: VVVV I'd be into this

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Sep 23, 2017

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Dark City. It is one of my all-time favorite movies, so I'd love a smart series that expands the world (the city), shows us more about the Strangers, and follows more characters as they wake up in new lives with new memories. It could have certain characters who meet each other in different scenarios but start remembering each other, and somehow keep altering their new programming to continue interacting, much to the concern of the Strangers. Dr. Schreiber could play a larger role, as the man who sells out the human race to the Strangers, introduces them to human nature, but sets a master plan in motion that prolongs the lives of the humans in the city so he can secretly create a resistance, making sure the Strangers are distracted by studying humans rather than just snuffing out their lives.

Kiefer Sutherland was so great as Dr. Schreiber, doing his best Peter Lorre impression, despite typifying the "moral model" of disability theory (a person with a physical disability is shown to be bitter, untrustworthy, or hateful -- it happens all the time in media). But I'd like to see Robert Knepper replace him, just because he has become one of my favorite actors, between Prison Break, Twin Peaks, iZombie, Arrow/Flash, and Carnivale.

Or even better: Michael Emerson (although he already played a human in league with inhuman forces and a brilliant guy with a limp).

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Snak posted:

Edit: I vote for Volcano. Hear me out: the eruption itself takes place during the 2-hour pilot. It pretty much follows the movie, with a few differences. The idea being that the series itself will be a drama about the aftermath and logistics of putting the city, and the characters lives back together. Like in the movie, the main characters would span a cross section of city workers, emergency response workers, and medical workers.

Also probably have another eruption in the season finale. Just because. In a slightly different location.

Stay away from my favourite Sam Jackson movie, gently caress you.

It's because of that movie i'm always frank and earnest with women.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Hey man, I didn't pick Long Kiss Goodnight, why are you yelling at me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

You'll do something at some point where you need to get yelled at.

• Locked thread