Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Koalas March posted:

I hope this is something we can all agree with!

In 2017 TYOOL: probably not. Sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

GoluboiOgon posted:

I'm just a stupid newbie, been lurking for years.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

GoluboiOgon posted:

The crisis came about because of the terminal amount of corruption in both parties, not just the Republicans. Any realistic solution will involve the restructuring of both parties at a minimum.

Yes and "Hillary is awful" is a detailed restructure plan that's explained extensively in ever post mentioning her.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

farraday posted:

"your life only exists to serve the state" is not a good look.

I didn't say that, I said the rich and powerful have an obligation to help, one Obama himself recognized. He's one of the most powerful people in America still. I'm not complaining about his vacation (as other posters are) but instead lamenting that I don't have faith anymore that he can live up to his own promises of post-presidential action.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

GoluboiOgon posted:

I'm just a stupid newbie, been lurking for years.

You regged last month.

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Chilichimp posted:

You regged last month.

You don't need a forum account to lurk, you can read the forums sometimes without logging on.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

farraday posted:

"your life only exists to serve the state" is not a good look.

It's one he chose, and now reneging on that life because you are wealthier then 99% of the US is pretty lovely, so yea, It's a really bad look from someone who was selling a song of hope and obviously had no intention of following through. "A long legged Mack-daddy" indeed.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Any US Politics? Y'all?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

"A long legged Mack-daddy" indeed.

:yikes:

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Any US Politics? Y'all?

Well something like 99% of our politicians are trash, but at least one of them is trying to make things better by using his status to get a national platform and using that platform to advocate for good things.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

someone who was selling a song of hope and obviously had no intention of following through.

this is a hilariously disingenuous characterization of the dude's political career lol

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Any US Politics? Y'all?

Racism and the prison complex are US politics homie

also yeah again end hillarychat for the love black c4 jesus

Fuck Whitey
Nov 9, 2016

by SA Support Robot

Trabisnikof posted:

People keep forgetting about the Bernie v. Hillary thread:

That thread is still alive - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3834141

And there should still be a bad dems thread for both sides to pull apart and grouse in safety without having to go through the same arguments all the time

Having space for the two to interact is good because echo chambers are bad, but also there needs to be a friendly corner to go AHH gently caress and blow off steam in.

(The Succ Zone in CSPAM is the real bad dems thread)

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Potato Salad posted:

did mccain just save 32M American's healthcare plans....again?

he's no hero, and he doesn't deserve your praise

what his party is trying to do right now is what it's always wanted to do. brutalize the poor and minorities

if he truly had a conscience he wouldn't be a republican

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Trabisnikof posted:

I didn't say that, I said the rich and powerful have an obligation to help, one Obama himself recognized. He's one of the most powerful people in America still. I'm not complaining about his vacation (as other posters are) but instead lamenting that I don't have faith anymore that he can live up to his own promises of post-presidential action.

Here's the thing though your rhetoric is extreme "I'm saying we, as a Republic, are facing some of the greatest threats in our history. Meanwhile we as a species are facing the the greatest challenge in history. " That brings more to mind manning the barricades on I St and 18th while we negotiate with the DC national guard. then you dismiss Obama is because how can he accomplish anything on the electoral college and gerrymandering when decorum is meaningless.

Look can either think Obama's skills are meaningless in a world that's gone to poo poo or you can question why he isn't doing more, but you can't do both unless you're being deeply disingenuous.

If Obama's skills aren't meaningless than your claims or desperate circumstances where his 'inaction' for 8 months is dereliction of the duty rings fairly hollow.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Yeah, McCain is a loving petty warmonger who would happily send American's to their deaths in conflicts. That he's basically thumbing his nose art people with this stuff regarding healthcare is more that he's a petty poo poo-heel that just happens to be doing something that'll help people with his petulance.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Trabisnikof posted:

People keep forgetting about the Bernie v. Hillary thread:

That thread is still alive - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3834141

Yes, the Bernie V Hillary thread welcomes all. There is really no reason to discuss Hillary outside of that thread unless she somehow becomes politically relevant again.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Yes, the Bernie V Hillary thread welcomes all. There is really no reason to discuss Hillary outside of that thread unless somehow becomes politically relevant again.

she kinda made herself relevant again recently, so yeah, there's reason to discuss her out of that thread. that thread's for primary chat

https://twitter.com/TomPerez/status/911332070311555072

:agreed: tom perez

wish he did more things i agree with too

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

farraday posted:

Here's the thing though your rhetoric is extreme "I'm saying we, as a Republic, are facing some of the greatest threats in our history. Meanwhile we as a species are facing the the greatest challenge in history. " That brings more to mind manning the barricades on I St and 18th while we negotiate with the DC national guard.

We certainly are facing extreme and timely threats. The longer we delay action, the worse things will become.

quote:

then you dismiss Obama is because how can he accomplish anything on the electoral college and gerrymandering when decorum is meaningless.

Sorry I wasn't clear, I'm saying Obama can accomplish a lot, but over the last 8 years I saw a willingness to uphold decorum and use traditional methods of action stymie his results. That's left me unconvinced he'll be able to make a meaningful difference and I would prefer to be confident his efforts won't be for naught.

quote:

Look can either think Obama's skills are meaningless in a world that's gone to poo poo or you can question why he isn't doing more, but you can't do both unless you're being deeply disingenuous.

If Obama's skills aren't meaningless than your claims or desperate circumstances where his 'inaction' for 8 months is dereliction of the duty rings fairly hollow.

I'm saying Obama's power is fleeting and the longer he disengages from politics it will be harder not easier to get things done. For example, if we had OFA beating the war drums on ACA still, I wouldn't be so worried that Obama will fail to utilize the power he has, but unfortunately OFA hasn't even put out a new blog post since February.

So yeah, maybe Obama will decide in a few months to fully attack gerrymandering and he'll crush it. I'd love that, but I can't get my hopes up anymore.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Koalas March posted:

Racism and the prison complex are US politics homie

also yeah again end hillarychat for the love black c4 jesus

KM I am DOWN for P-I Complex Chat.

It's the Forever War that sucks.

Has there been any reform in Michigan on that tip? Or at least movement toward it?

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Wasn't Holder and Obama going to team up and work on the issue of gerrymandering? What happened to that?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Wasn't Holder and Obama going to team up and work on the issue of gerrymandering? What happened to that?

There's this https://democraticredistricting.com/

and Obama has helped with fundraising which is good.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Prison / criminal justice reform chat:

I feel like a lot of people think if we commune / pardon everyone in for drug offenses, we would massively solve the prison population problem. But the good majority of prisoners are in there for violent crime. So if we want to reform criminal justice, it means coming to terms with allowing some people who made horrible decisions to be allowed back into society. And I think that's the right thing to do in many cases.

Basically a lot of leftists are libertarian when it comes prison reform. But the weed users, maaaaan

Edit: a source on my prison numbers so people don't think I'm making this up https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/5/30/15591700/mass-incarceration-john-pfaff-locked-in

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Condiv posted:

she kinda made herself relevant again recently, so yeah, there's reason to discuss her out of that thread. that thread's for primary chat

https://twitter.com/TomPerez/status/911332070311555072

:agreed: tom perez

wish he did more things i agree with too

YES THANK YOU! This is exactly the type of poo poo that I want to see. Now if he can speak truth to power to continually engage and work with us, poo poo can get done and he will have a solid block of reliable voters.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

seiferguy posted:

Prison / criminal justice reform chat:

I feel like a lot of people think if we commune / pardon everyone in for drug offenses, we would massively solve the prison population problem. But the good majority of prisoners are in there for violent crime. So if we want to reform criminal justice, it means coming to terms with allowing some people who made horrible decisions to be allowed back into society. And I think that's the right thing to do in many cases.

Basically a lot of leftists are libertarian when it comes prison reform. But the weed users, maaaaan

Edit: a source on my prison numbers so people don't think I'm making this up https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/5/30/15591700/mass-incarceration-john-pfaff-locked-in

how much of the violent crime is legitimate? black people seem to get thrown in jail on trumped up charges a lot

edit: also, we put people into jail for too long for certain crimes and for too short a time for others

bankers who ruin the lives of millions because of their endless greed should be getting life sentences

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Tom Perez can help to solve this problem by resigning and letting the black guy have his position.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Nanomashoes posted:

Tom Perez can help to solve this problem by resigning and letting the black guy have his position.

i don't think there's really any way he could do that considering the number of vice-chairs under him. though i agree, ellison should've been our dnc chair

(also, he's the best)

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Condiv posted:

i don't think there's really any way he could do that considering the number of vice-chairs under him. though i agree, ellison should've been our dnc chair

(also, he's the best)

I wanted KE to win, but I have liked Perez for awhile (he shoulda been Hillary's veep) and if he is using his position to do good things (like uplift black women) I will support him.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Trabisnikof posted:

We certainly are facing extreme and timely threats. The longer we delay action, the worse things will become.

Sorry I wasn't clear, I'm saying Obama can accomplish a lot, but over the last 8 years I saw a willingness to uphold decorum and use traditional methods of action stymie his results. That's left me unconvinced he'll be able to make a meaningful difference and I would prefer to be confident his efforts won't be for naught.

I'm saying Obama's power is fleeting and the longer he disengages from politics it will be harder not easier to get things done. For example, if we had OFA beating the war drums on ACA still, I wouldn't be so worried that Obama will fail to utilize the power he has, but unfortunately OFA hasn't even put out a new blog post since February.

So yeah, maybe Obama will decide in a few months to fully attack gerrymandering and he'll crush it. I'd love that, but I can't get my hopes up anymore.

Fixing gerrymandering required Hillary's SCOTUS pick, full stop.

Death gave us one freebie bonus chance in this generation to right our judicial ship, and we hosed it up.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Koalas March posted:

I wanted KE to win, but I have liked Perez for awhile (he shoulda been Hillary's veep) and if he is using his position to do good things (like uplift black women) I will support him.

he hasn't been doing enough imo. he campaigned on a 50-state strategy and then let a bunch of special elections go without support (while mr.datacenters gets millions)

but yeah, if he starts moving the party to do stuff like support blm, and balance out the leadership of the dem party so it's not so white i'd be happier with him

and i'd definitely have been happier with perez as hillary veep instead of kaine. god what a waste

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Potato Salad posted:

Death gave us one freebie bonus chance in this generation to right our judicial ship, and we hosed it up.

Eh, we can very much still fight it at a local and state level. That's just a lot harder and isn't like a traditional DC based policy campaign or a campaign for president.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Potato Salad posted:

You mean Obama hosed it up right?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Trabisnikof posted:

Eh, we can very much still fight it at a local and state level. That's just a lot harder and isn't like a traditional DC based policy campaign or a campaign for president.

Yes, I agree. OFA's purpose was to browbeat this poo poo into the states from the bottom-up where the population could be persuaded to purge those who perpetuate racial gerrymandering and from the top-down through the Supreme Court and DOJ before 2020, though. In a sense, we've failed to make the Caradhras pass and now must trudge through the Mines of Moria, and as a result, we are far less certain to make it out to the other side alive and without the blood of millions on our hands.

"Obama could have reasoned with the GOP!" This horse has been beaten, euthanized, beaten again, cremated, compressed into diamonds and disappeared from existence through matter-antimatter annhilation. Suck zone is >>> that a way.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Sep 23, 2017

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Yes what a great take.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Trabisnikof posted:

Right? People seemed to never utter a peep about the tens of thousands of slaves Obama owned then gave to Trump as an inauguration gift. Or the multitude of states that are keeping slaves right now.

It is good that we're finally accepting that prison labor is slavery, but the conversation can't end with "so Hillary is bad" we need to talk about the harms of prison slavery that are happening right now.

We need to realize prison slavery isn't limited to Arkansas in the 1990s and widen the discussion to the slaves in America here and now.

Frankly I would say it would be more valuable if we were getting our prisoners certified or educated. Alot would do fine. (Well besides the rapists and corporate white collar types) if they had proper training in the stem for life after prison.

BTW something I also have not seen brought up is Bernie's wonderful foreign policy speech.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxvP6jDtt4c

In this speech we had Bernie lay out a vision that is divorced from the idiotic interventionism that has braced the democrats since the 90s. He attacked unilateral action, and embraced cooperative agreements like the wonderful Iran agreement that allows America to withdraw from the disastrous Middle East. He talked about the disaster that has been the WoT. Best part was where he called out also America Firstism.

The Person who would have won posted:

"The goal is not for the United States to dominate the world," Sanders said. "Nor, on the other hand, is our goal to withdraw from the international community and shirk our responsibilities under the banner of 'America First.' Our goal should be global engagement based on partnership, rather than dominance. This is better for our security, better for global stability and better for facilitating the international cooperation necessary to meet shared challenges."

I hope to see the Democrats embrace his vision for a future where America doesn't brutalize half the world.

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Sep 23, 2017

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Crowsbeak posted:

Frankly I would say it would be more valuable if we were getting our prisoners certified or educated. Alot would do fine. (Well besides the rapists and corporate white collar types) if they had proper training in the stem for life after prison.

Yes, employers will flock to hire programmers with felony convictions over the other half of the US that has a STEM degree.

The issue is that prison has 0 redeeming value. It is not an effective deterrent and propagates rape, racism, and gangs. Prisons siphon up huge amounts of taxpayer money to be given to for profit prisons, who exploit their prisoners as slave labor while getting $50 bucks a day for the opportunity from the taxpayers. Prisons must be abolished.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

GoluboiOgon posted:

Yes, employers will flock to hire programmers with felony convictions over the other half of the US that has a STEM degree.

According to studies companies would rather hire a white man with a criminal conviction over a black man with a clean record. As always, a lot of the white men will be fine. (Not counting trauma related to their incarceration.)

White men can get away with almost anything in our society. Even Michael Alig, a convicted murderer, is hosting parties in NY again.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Potato Salad posted:

"Obama could have reasoned with the GOP!" This horse has been beaten, euthanized, beaten again, cremated, compressed into diamonds and disappeared from existence through matter-antimatter annhilation. Suck zone is >>> that a way.

No he could have done his loving job and nominated a supreme court judge, but he couldn't even do that.

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Koalas March posted:

White men can get away with almost anything in our society. Even Michael Alig, a convicted murderer, is hosting parties in NY again.

It's about class as well as race. Plenty of poor white folk in prison now for selling opiates, while the CEOs of pharma companies did the same thing x1000 and are enjoying their yachts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

GoluboiOgon posted:

It's about class as well as race. Plenty of poor white folk in prison now for selling opiates, while the CEOs of pharma companies did the same thing x1000 and are enjoying their yachts.

Overall I'd agree but in this instance Michael was a poor, gay, drug addict who lived in poverty despite his lavish partying in clubs. He was convicted of killing his drug dealer/ex-boyfriend.

• Locked thread