Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Imagine making your first grannie in nearly 20 years and you're still salty at the umpiring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

cmndstab posted:

What a performance by Cameron - was thinking of you every one of those five goals, Chairchucker :3:

Heh, I estimate at least 20% of my AFL posts are about my love for Charlie.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

cmndstab posted:

I only started following football around 2000/2001 so I've never actually seen my team in the Grand Final. I'm so excited :allears:

Yeah kinda same actually. Only really started caring about AFL in like '06.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
:3:

Reminds me of the prelim in '08. I was in the stand over Crawf when he nailed the goal from the flank and realised he was going to the big dance.

Anyway I don't care much for the Crows but think it'd be great for EDDIEBETTS and Charlie to win a flag.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

cmndstab posted:

I only started following football around 2000/2001 so I've never actually seen my team in the Grand Final. I'm so excited :allears:

This is going to be the first Crows GF I'm not going to attend :(

I can see myself on 50% of the Crows Premiership DVDs, hopefully after next weekend it's 33%.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
Ryan Fitzgerald looks very, very sick

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

The Deadly Hume posted:

Imagine making your first grannie in nearly 20 years and you're still NTRabbit

Why can't it be SARabbit?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

We're the pride of South Australia, we're the mighty Adelaide Crows :toot:

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

NTRabbit posted:

We're the pride of South Australia, we're the mighty Adelaide Crows :toot:

Hoo hoo

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

hiddenmovement posted:

Ryan Fitzgerald looks very, very sick

Really? He was on the front bar a month or so ago and looked okay

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Spedman posted:

Really? He was on the front bar a month or so ago and looked okay

He got bt'd without makeup a moment ago and all I could think was 'my god he's only 40'

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Marc Murphy won the B&F tonight, just pipping last years winner Sam Docherty by 5 votes.

Here's the full review: http://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/2017-09-22/murphy-wins-john-nicholls-medal

John Nicholls Medal: Marc Murphy
Spirit of Carlton Award: Matthew Kreuzer
Best Clubman: Dennis Armfield
William A. Cook Trophy: Matthew Kreuzer
Best First Year Player: Sam Petrevski-Seton
Fan MVP Award: Sam Docherty + Marc Murphy
Inner Blue Ruthless Award: Matthew Kreuzer

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Geelong really missed Tom Hawkins tonight, a big late out and left a lot for the remaining forwards

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

racing identity posted:

Geelong really missed Tom Hawkins tonight, a big late out and left a lot for the remaining forwards

:laffo:

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Fitzy often gets BT'd after Crows games and he always looks and sounds like he's put down a dozen beers and screamed himself hoarse, hahaha.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

drunkill posted:

Marc Murphy won the B&F tonight, just pipping last years winner Sam Docherty by 5 votes.

Here's the full review: http://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/2017-09-22/murphy-wins-john-nicholls-medal

John Nicholls Medal: Marc Murphy
Spirit of Carlton Award: Matthew Kreuzer
Best Clubman: Dennis Armfield
William A. Cook Trophy: Matthew Kreuzer
Best First Year Player: Sam Petrevski-Seton
Fan MVP Award: Sam Docherty + Marc Murphy
Inner Blue Ruthless Award: Matthew Kreuzer

Where is the medal for handing buddy a coleman?

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

NPR Journalizard posted:

Where is the medal for handing buddy a coleman?

That's the spirit of Carlton award

Crows should win the flag.

Tigers are paying 1.58 at Crownbet. There's no way they should be that short imo.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

cmndstab posted:

I followed the Crows early, but the 97/98 flags I was 14/15 years old and like many teenagers didn't really care about anything, so missed out on it.

Going to this grand final in person though, carpooling over with my dad and a mate, we have guaranteed tickets so just waiting to see what the ballot gives us.

e: Also EDDIEBETTS deserves a grand final in which to display his wares

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Sep 22, 2017

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

I'd like to throw my kitchen sink on as a bet for the Crows to win the flag please.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
I only saw bits of the game so can’t really comment, but there seems to be a bit of a consensus on social media from neutral fans that it was a really well umpired game. A lot of “why can’t most games just be umpired this way?” Comments. So for Adelaide fans to win and still somehow feel hard done by. Eh, I mean I want anyone but Richmond. But if GWS do the unthinkable today I might have to go for them...probably just because they have my favourite team song? I don’t know? I’m so not invested in this finals/GF at all. The awful finals series (barring 1 game) probably doesn’t help.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

thepokey posted:

I only saw bits of the game so can’t really comment, but there seems to be a bit of a consensus on social media from neutral fans that it was a really well umpired game. A lot of “why can’t most games just be umpired this way?” Comments. So for Adelaide fans to win and still somehow feel hard done by. Eh, I mean I want anyone but Richmond. But if GWS do the unthinkable today I might have to go for them...probably just because they have my favourite team song? I don’t know? I’m so not invested in this finals/GF at all. The awful finals series (barring 1 game) probably doesn’t help.

tbh it was mostly the usual bullshit frees to Duckwood, and in the 2nd Dangerfield got a couple of brownlow medalist frees that created the brief revival, and I can't stand either of them

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

thepokey posted:

I only saw bits of the game so can’t really comment, but there seems to be a bit of a consensus on social media from neutral fans that it was a really well umpired game. A lot of “why can’t most games just be umpired this way?” Comments. So for Adelaide fans NTRabbit to win and still somehow feel hard done by. Eh, I mean I want anyone but Richmond. But if GWS do the unthinkable today I might have to go for them...probably just because they have my favourite team song? I don’t know? I’m so not invested in this finals/GF at all. The awful finals series (barring 1 game) probably doesn’t help.

You'd get the same impression here if it was Melbourne thumping another team.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

The one that stood out to me was Jenkins getting a coat hanger in the first that went uncalled. Otherwise pretty happy with it.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

The centre bounces last night after goals were quite extreme, some absolutely perfect ones, but a lot of howlers, even one that they just let play on

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

NTRabbit posted:

tbh it was mostly the usual bullshit frees to Duckwood, and in the 2nd Dangerfield got a couple of brownlow medalist frees that created the brief revival, and I can't stand either of them

Leave this Duckwood garbage at Bigfooty, it’s pathetic. Your team just won a prelim by 10 goals and you still can’t help but be a giant dickhead. Grow up.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
I thought it was well umpired. Selwood got a lot of frees light night, but I called every single one of them before the whistle went because they were so blatant. Sometimes he gets dodge ones but last night they were so obvious.

Also: Tigers gonna win it all!!!!

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I AM ON EDGE (RICHMOND).

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

realbez posted:

I thought it was well umpired. Selwood got a lot of frees light night, but I called every single one of them before the whistle went because they were so blatant. Sometimes he gets dodge ones but last night they were so obvious.

I thought the same, you could see the Adel players knew they didn’t get low enough on him. When they did tackle him well they got Selwood pinged a few times for holding the ball.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Windy, weird, blustery arse day for those not in Melbourne

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I don't understand why more teams don't just attack Selwood's hips exclusively. Don't give him a chance to chuck the head back.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Probably because it's not worth retacking your entire technique due to a handful of players who excel at that sort of thing

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Tackling the hips achieves very little most of the time because the player’s arms are free to have all the time in the world to find a handball target. Wanna pin those elbows so it’s harder to get rid of the ball, but some players are strong enough to lift their elbows anyway, hence the problem.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
Footy needs an Adelaide/Richmond final. Make it happen Tiges.

Edit: Also enjoy it Crows fans. You never know when the next one is going to come.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Adelaide Crows are currently 3 from 3 for grand finals, let's make it 4 from 4

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I'm on the fence, so I'll reset to my default which is wishing for the most drama and chaos today.

Tigers with a second-half comeback and win after the horn. Lid comes fully off.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
I think I'm rooting for the crows after seeing Eddie's post game interview

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

spamman posted:

Footy needs an Adelaide/Richmond final. Make it happen Tiges.

Edit: Also enjoy it Crows fans. You never know when the next one is going to come.

It will be a minimum of 7 years for the cats and we've made finals every year. It's so, so hard to make the Granny.

EDIT: Going for Tigers because family + lol Swan St. But I like the Crows (except Tex who seems like a bit of a fuckstick).

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

realbez posted:

Tackling the hips achieves very little most of the time because the player’s arms are free to have all the time in the world to find a handball target. Wanna pin those elbows so it’s harder to get rid of the ball, but some players are strong enough to lift their elbows anyway, hence the problem.

I have noticed Zach Merrett is pretty good at grabbing an arm or wrist to prevent the opposition player from getting a handball away.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

gay picnic defence posted:

I have noticed Zach Merrett is pretty good at grabbing an arm or wrist to prevent the opposition player from getting a handball away.

Yeah, Cyril is very good at this as well. You've gotta be pretty quick though to reliably get their wrist, and you have to be careful about pulling it too far back or you're going to get suspended. I'd be surprised if that technique is something they actually seriously train over pinning the elbows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
it's happening

quote:

PARTS of the Melbourne suburb of Richmond were hit with power outages on Saturday morning, hours before the Tigers play off in a preliminary final at the MCG.

Some local pubs had been affected, with the Mountain View Hotel, one of those closest to the MCG, confirming its power had come back on around 12pm.

The preliminary final is expected to generate huge turnover for pubs and bars throughout the Richmond heartland as fans who can't get to the game gather to watch the action.

• Locked thread