Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

CommieGIR posted:

It gets worse: The guy doesn't understand that not only is the water table high, the concrete in those silos was known to seep water. Badly.

So that Silo is probably full of not only water, but 30+ year old rust, and the contractors that were hired to remove and demilitarize the silos were....very hasty in their methods.

So, probably can expect a storage room full of heavily rusted 55 gallon drums then?

Also, I used to, when I was younger, loving love the idea of converting a missile silo.
I mean, the IDEA and fantasy of it is still awesome, but I'm not stupid enough to try it and it's all tempered with the knowledge of that poo poo isn't happening unless you are a multi multi millionaire.
I mean, that's all it is. a fantasy. I bet the very few properly converted silos were in high country and don'[t have to worry abut water tables much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
I burned through most of the episodes last night while literally watching paint dry, and it was a blast. I thought you goons were exaggerating the part about his voice changing with the gas (methane) but holy poo poo that was scary and fun to watch.

Guy: "blah blah blah" *voice suddenly sounds like he huffed helium* "...did you guys notice the sound in the room just changed?"

*camera goes all Blair Witch Project slinging all over the place as he realizes the deep poo poo he's in*

Tyson Tomko fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Sep 22, 2017

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
I watched a bunch of those episodes a while ago and one thing that had me worried is this is a military structure built in the 1950's\60's. Is it far fetched to assume it is going to be full of asbestos? And that it will be nicely dispersed by the extensive remodelling.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
The cool thing about living in a missile silo would be to press the "those commies bastards actually loving did it" button and have all the lights and sirens go off, but I'm guessing that stuff was either torn out or just doesn't work after a half-century of rotting away underground.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Memento posted:

Isn't the propellant they use for those missiles unbelievably toxic?

I wondered how much they worried about cleanup when they were decommissioning these sites.

The land in San Jose where a fuel factory is still heavily contaminated. Decades later.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
There was a lot of crap still left in there, even if it was in terrible state, but it seems that they basically stripped it down completely. I know I'd certainly install the siren and lights though.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

If global thermonuclear war cosplay is your jam, you can install lights and sirens wherever you live. Though your neighbours may object if you do it in an apartment.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

So Math posted:

Dude's owned the place since 2010 and hasn't learned poo poo. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MY60ujy0Wmo&t=75s
I'm the guy standing on exposed rebar at 14:05.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I imagine it would actually end up being cheaper and way better in the long run to just buy land and build your own play-bunker from scratch rather than try to actually make an abandoned missile silo up to code and safe.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Baronjutter posted:

I imagine it would actually end up being cheaper and way better in the long run to just buy land and build your own play-bunker from scratch rather than try to actually make an abandoned missile silo up to code and safe.

Yes.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

Definitely.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I want to put these two guys in a small wooden bunker with no doors.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

I'm not convinced that anything he makes is safer than that contaminated cold war bunker

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Just fund your bunker restoration by manufacturing LSD. You'll need a place to hide anyways, you don't want sunlight damaging your synthesis.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Weren't these the guys that tried to build a hut with a basement or whatever on a beach and the sand pit was constantly on the verge of collapsing and killing that dude and he got extremely lucky?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Volcott posted:

The cool thing about living in a missile silo would be to press the "those commies bastards actually loving did it" button and have all the lights and sirens go off, but I'm guessing that stuff was either torn out or just doesn't work after a half-century of rotting away underground.

It is, unfortunately, torn out. Anything they can sell, they remove.

However, there IS a ICBM museum you can visit that is mostly functional.

http://www.titanmissilemuseum.org/

https://youtu.be/5fJ3lhGeptw

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
Titan Missile Museum is loving awesome. I got to turn the key on my first tour. Take that commies!

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
There's also the Minuteman museum.
https://www.nps.gov/mimi/index.htm

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

That's rad but i'm letting dominos know to sue their asses into the stoneage :D

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
Dominos already got sued enough for that campaign so it probably wouldn't do much.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Johnny Aztec posted:

Also, I used to, when I was younger, loving love the idea of converting a missile silo.
I mean, the IDEA and fantasy of it is still awesome, but I'm not stupid enough to try it and it's all tempered with the knowledge of that poo poo isn't happening unless you are a multi multi millionaire.
I mean, that's all it is. a fantasy. I bet the very few properly converted silos were in high country and don'[t have to worry abut water tables much.

Same here. I had these huge dreams of finding this functional-but-empty underground space that just needed a little tidying up to be livable :allears:

Then I started doing urban exploration photography, and read up on safety after a particularly sketchy trip gave me the fears. I don't do urbex hardly at all anymore, and if I ever did find a silo, I'd probably drive up to the apron of it, roll down my window, say, "Yep, finally saw a silo," and drive away.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Phuzun posted:

Just fund your bunker restoration by manufacturing LSD. You'll need a place to hide anyways, you don't want sunlight damaging your synthesis.

yeah, like it turned out great for the last guy

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Irradiation posted:

Dominos already got sued enough for that campaign so it probably wouldn't do much.

Ironically, Domino's pizza delivery campaign killed more people than the entire US nuclear weapons campaign.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

spog posted:

Ironically, Domino's pizza delivery campaign killed more people than the entire US nuclear weapons campaign.

I don't think Dominos killed more than 199k delivery boys.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

spog posted:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

tactlessbastard posted:

I don't think Dominos killed more than 199k delivery boys.

Well, apart from those two, obviously.

(I was thinking of nuclear missiles, not bombs, but I shall leave my crass mistake up for all to mock me)

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

Volcott posted:

No, he managed to gently caress that up, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3dNOrzittM&t=906s

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/ZqwtkfN.mp4

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Not what i expected and very good.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

a kitten posted:

Not what i expected and very good.

Yeah, it's like "Pulling a tree stump out with a regular car bumper? Pshaw, this is some predictable rear end poo poo in the OSHA thr--"

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

So Math posted:

No, he managed to gently caress that up, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3dNOrzittM&t=906s

He waddles so slowly that it takes 2 jump cuts for him to reach the end of a short hallway.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Whelp that’s why you need a Glock with a 12-pound “NYPD” trigger pull

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
Gotta give him credit for trying to play it off cool haha, trying and failing.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

spog posted:

Well, apart from those two, obviously.

(I was thinking of nuclear missiles, not bombs, but I shall leave my crass mistake up for all to mock me)

I knew what you meant but I just got tickled at the concept of tens of thousands of dead delivery boys, pizzas littering the streets...

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

tactlessbastard posted:

I knew what you meant but I just got tickled at the concept of tens of thousands of dead delivery boys, pizzas littering the streets...

Oh, the humanity!

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Man, Uncle Enzo is gonna be pissed.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

a kitten posted:

Man, Uncle Enzo is gonna be pissed.

Well it -is- a lot of late pizzas...

spog
Aug 7, 2004

tactlessbastard posted:

Man, you get grumpy when you're hungry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Even better with sound: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9cgkmq1SfM