Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Accretionist posted:

This is an extension of my general distaste for 'running into doors'

You kick open doors. The shoulder's a crap joint. It is not suitable to battering.

On a puny human, maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Jesus, what is this poo poo, are you going to posit next that the regulation starfleet two-handed whole body punch is in some way not a practical hand-to-hand technique?

She runs up to the door, her foot makes contact with the ground and her shoulder with the door. Her muscles apply a massive force to that bracing levering position in an instant and boom, door asplode. The run's momentum provides the counterforce that keeps her feet planted, not the impact.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Random thoughts from episode 3, in no particular order:

MacFarlane as an actor is surprising me. I didn't think he had the presence to really pull off the lead role (in anything but zany madcap comedy, at least), but he's doing great.

The court battle in this episode is a lot less science fiction than it might seem. When a baby is born intersex, the parents will sometimes opt for surgery on the ambiguous genitalia to "assign" one sex or the other to the baby. When the parents don't agree on what to do, you get pretty much exactly this court case, but in real life.

I'm still not quite clear on how they found the writer lady in the mountains. Did they just scan the entire world for "female Moclan"? It didn't seem very difficult; did no one ever think to try this before? (Although I suppose there's precedent for the sensors on the Orville just being drat good. In the last episode they scanned a whole planet and found the two humans they were looking for pretty much instantly.)

Speaking of last episode, it seems the show got the ex-spouses thing mostly out of its system, which is a good thing. The one or two snarky mentions of the marriage seemed perfectly in character and flowed well.

The engine rings made it through a whole episode without getting blown up! :toot:

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cojawfee posted:

Sorry, but you don't get to say that DS9 was bad.

I didn't. TNG is the bad one.

Well, no. ENT is the bad one. But the only two Treks I truly enjoy are TOS and DS9.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Someone needs to make a galaxy brain for all the woke critics who thought the show was extremely problematic even though it handled a potentially touchy subject in a surprisingly respectful way. This was basically what Star Trek is supposed to be.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Wow, that was really good! Solid conundrum, some decent laughs from me, and some surprisingly decent acting from Seth (everyone else is already great in that department).

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
I don't know what it is, but I just loved that it's the two dipshits that steer the ship that finally changed Bortus' mind.

edit: And it just finished, jesus, what a punch in the gut. I think that was legitimately every bit as good as 'Measure of a Man'.

Q_res fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Sep 23, 2017

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun Mexican outlaw was great and exactly the kind of insanity that should have happened on the holodeck rather than the dangerous insanity in Trek.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It also thematically foreshadows that just because something is different or untraditional, it isn't bad.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

There's a really obscure Trek callback in the background of the scene where Bortas and his husband are replicating clothes. A couple humans behind them replicate that loving egg shaped light ornament that shows up all over sets in DS9 and Voyager. I think it was the thing that attracted the nitrous aliens in the episode where Janeway blows up that other Federation ship and it was on the set for the rogue planet in the Omarion Nebula.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Arglebargle III posted:

There's a really obscure Trek callback in the background of the scene where Bortas and his husband are replicating clothes. A couple humans behind them replicate that loving egg shaped light ornament that shows up all over sets in DS9 and Voyager. I think it was the thing that attracted the nitrous aliens in the episode where Janeway blows up that other Federation ship and it was on the set for the rogue planet in the Omarion Nebula.

*goes back and watches that scene*

Oh jesus, you're right.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Both holodeck scenes have great. First the super nice demon or whatever and then a dance off.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Arglebargle III posted:

Oh man, that's where I recognised it from! It looked very familiar, and I couldn't think from where.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

I hope Orville runs 7 seasons and they never have a holodeck malfunction. It could have buffering issues or whatever, but it should never threaten the ship, create life, or trap anyone inside.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

I hope Orville runs 7 seasons and they never have a holodeck malfunction. It could have buffering issues or whatever, but it should never threaten the ship, create life, or trap anyone inside.

I'd love it if they did an entire episode teasing a holodeck malfunction but in the end it never happens.

Also, I'm sure they don't actually call it the "holodeck" in the show but has anyone caught the name for it? They might have said it in the scene where Gordon was introduced but I don't remember.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

Oh poo poo, buffering holodeck would be hilarious.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

"Oh my god, did the holodeck break down? Are the banditos going to kill us in real life?"
"What? No. When my Playstation broke down did Crash Bandicoot come after me? Don't be ridiculous."

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

Or it does malfunction, and they unplug it, and that's the end of the subplot.

I loved how inconsequential the collision course asteroid was this week.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

That was a more thoughtful episode than I expected. Still, as social commentary it's a little unclear. What real societal issue is it supposed to be addressing? Powered Descent mentioned intersex children, but is there a debate over the morality of operations in that case (I'm honestly not sure)? If this episode was instead about a teenage girl who society was trying to force to be male, then it's a much clearer commentary (e.g. for some people's attempt to change homosexual or transgendered people, or really anyone not in the majority).

I did get a kick out of Grayson putting Grimes on the stand, as well as when he answered "the moon".

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
I loved that he was completely cool with Kelly calling him an idiot if it helped the baby. It was kind of sweet.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm surprised they didn't seem to contact the Union at all. When the Maclan ship was on their way to the Orville, surely they should have asked for guidance from the Union.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Ok this show is cool and good now. Like, I don't need a new Star Trek to hit all the same exact notes as the old stuff when it was great but it sure was nice to have it back anyway

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

The_Doctor posted:

Oh man, that's where I recognised it from! It looked very familiar, and I couldn't think from where.

It's similar, at least.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

It's like they're both trying not to laugh at Riker's outfit. That straight up looks like a still from a Buck Rogers episode, haha.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Gynovore posted:

People looking for a comedy and nothing more were probably disappointed, but eh, gently caress THEM. :colbert:

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

precision posted:

It's like they're both trying not to laugh at Riker's outfit. That straight up looks like a still from a Buck Rogers episode, haha.

Just imagine if he'd had the beard yet...

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Am I the only one who thought they were going to, if not show, comment on the helmsman using the laser to draw a penis on the asteroid?

DorianGravy posted:

That was a more thoughtful episode than I expected. Still, as social commentary it's a little unclear. What real societal issue is it supposed to be addressing?

It's a remix of issues, that doesn't map 1:1 to any pressing issues of our time, but is able to come at it obliquely and non-threateningly. Non-preachingly.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Minor detail:

When Bortas asks the captian about cleft palates, he says "why not let the child decide for himself when he is old enough?"

Because male pronouns are default for Bortas.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Arglebargle III posted:

Plus I'm pretty sure I have seen that exact same scene before with the exact same staging where some couple is replicating some boring thing in the background of a replimat.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Arglebargle III posted:

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun Mexican outlaw was great and exactly the kind of insanity that should have happened on the holodeck rather than the dangerous insanity in Trek.

Yeah having them be normal people instead of the boring-rear end motherfuckers who sit around on their spaceship at Bach recitals is going to offer so many fun holodeck opportunities.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah having them be normal people instead of the boring-rear end motherfuckers who sit around on their spaceship at Bach recitals is going to offer so many fun holodeck opportunities.

"My wife Hatsune..."
"Wait, you're married? Congrats man!"
"Well, I mean... it's complicated..."

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Reality check: We are three (aired (out of order because stupid Faux doesn't understand television)) episodes in. So-called critics panned the poo poo out of it for whatever godforsaken reasons. Meanwhile there's a shitload of praise to be found right here in a Something Awful thread.

This great show is so doomed :cry: :gently caress:

How is there no :gently caress: emote here of all places??!

e: think I'm just gonna rewatch B5 to fill the hole I'd hoped to have filled; I was long overdue anyway. At least I already know I have 5 seasons of that.

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Sep 23, 2017

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've watched 2 episodes so far, the pilot fell flat on humour and scifi poo poo, but I actually really liked the 2nd episode. More scifi, less super out of place modern day pop culture jokes.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

I've watched 2 episodes so far, the pilot fell flat on humour and scifi poo poo, but I actually really liked the 2nd episode. More scifi, less super out of place modern day pop culture jokes.

I'm with you on the humor just not working, ~80% or so, but it's usually really easily ignoreable. At the current rate though, I think they'll find their stride.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

"I've had tits all day" is the best joke so far.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

precision posted:

They were laughing at his outfit in that episode. Like, not the actors, but the characters were written and depicted as laughing at Riker's outfit.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

The ratings for this week were as good or better than anything else on TV that wasn't football and a Hollywood Reporter article was generally positive about its performance on the move to Thursday (and the streaming/on-demand performance). Really, it boils down to Fox's expectations for the show.

We also might see the share numbers go up as the TNF games return to their usual mediocrity.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

precision posted:

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is on Hulu :)

Shin Godzilla also exists as an awesome bureaucracy satire (it's on Amazon).

I like The Orville a whole bunch.

"The captain said to get your rear end on the bridge."

An alien making a cultural reference and the humans not getting it. Twice.

Seth McFarlane can actually act captain-y.

And I'll stand up with the "want the critics who hated this episode to explain themselves in detail" crew.

muscles like this! posted:

Nah, that timeslot is a death sentence. Nothing sticks and everything they put in there ends up canned in one season.

Close. They put shows they want to promote in that slot. Fox executives are idiots so a lot of the shows that get this treatment softly and silently vanish away when put into the 'real' timeslot they were intended for all along.

This is almost as good as the TNG S8 Twitter, except we're getting full episodes instead of synopses,

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

DorianGravy posted:

That was a more thoughtful episode than I expected. Still, as social commentary it's a little unclear. What real societal issue is it supposed to be addressing? Powered Descent mentioned intersex children, but is there a debate over the morality of operations in that case (I'm honestly not sure)? If this episode was instead about a teenage girl who society was trying to force to be male, then it's a much clearer commentary (e.g. for some people's attempt to change homosexual or transgendered people, or really anyone not in the majority).

Honestly I felt like the gender issue wasn't the only point, the trial seemed as much about that fascistic nation state as anything else. The obsession with warfare, physical strength, the 'impurity' of a potentially weak child entering the species, it's all very right wing reactionary stuff. I also don't think it's a coincidence that the grown woman was an introspective writer when they could just have easily have invented some renowned tech widget or whatever; it's like that species, as a side-effect of being toxic masculinity the space race, is broadly incapable of creative expression. It's not just that the great writer was a woman, it's also that she was cut off from their hosed up society and had less of its dumb limitations imposed on her.

Anyway episode was good I enjoyed it and want more Orville. Make action figures pls fox

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah that episode was definitely very "toxic masculinity is real bad guys". Critics can eat poo poo.