Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I really enjoyed that series. It's a premise that could go off the rails easily, but Tregellis has a knack for knowing exactly how far he can push it.

Except for turning World War II into a setting for stupid magic/superpower nonsense, apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Except for turning World War II into a setting for stupid magic/superpower nonsense, apparently.

MAD gone mad. You mad?

It makes sense if you actually read the books and not masturbate while complaining that SciFi isn't the Literature you're looking for.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The superheroes-in-WWII potboilers are actually good, he says in the terrible book thread.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Are you arguing that it's like, morally insulting to the lives lost or something? Listen, buddy, the magic/superpower nonsense in WW2 boat sailed a long time ago. Like, a really long time ago.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Mr. Sunshine posted:

I stopped reading after that part.

Aww, that means you didn't get to the part where a bunch of Jewish soldiers have to fight alongside the SS, and they're so impressed by them they end up joining SS regiments and wearing their insignia!

Brass Key
Sep 15, 2007

Attention! Something tremendous has happened!

TenCentFang posted:

Are you arguing that it's like, morally insulting to the lives lost or something? Listen, buddy, the magic/superpower nonsense in WW2 boat sailed a long time ago. Like, a really long time ago.

Especially since the Nazis themselves were a bunch of weirdo larpers trying to make alchemy work. Between that and later cold war stuff like MK Ultra, it's not a big surprise that a lot of people have gone "and what would happen if some of that poo poo did work out?"

Heck, Thor Meets Captain America won a Locus award, and that's a... Weird story.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe

Angry Salami posted:

Aww, that means you didn't get to the part where a bunch of Jewish soldiers have to fight alongside the SS, and they're so impressed by them they end up joining SS regiments and wearing their insignia!

You know, even as horrendously tasteless as that twist is, it does not surprise me in the slightest that the author of WotR included it in his book.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Regarde Aduck posted:

You've missed the fact that in the Laundry they're still lying to themselves. The "magic" is neither science or magic. It's what happens when you drag something from a universe with very different laws of physics into your own. The result is a destruction of science and sanity. At the small scales the laundry practices this effect can be controlled and weaponised. But the final result is that our universe of relative sanity is entirely arbitrary and fragile. The "magic" works via temporarily destroying your own universe's laws. You can't actually study or quantify that. It's the absence of quantifiability that makes it work. It removes the rules, doesn't change or add to them.

The actual genre for the Laundry series is "computer janitor war stories." Charlie was various sorts of computer janitor in the past, and that's who these stories of Bob Oliver Francis Howard (and remember his passing assistant Peter-Fred Young) are for: his IT mates down the pub on a Friday.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Regarde Aduck posted:

You've missed the fact that in the Laundry :goonsay:

Oh god we have a live one. You've missed the fact that the Chinese government supplies the Laundry with the forearms of executed prisoners as raw materials to manufacture weaponized hands of glory. Or the fact that one of the Laundry's top officers keeps the shrunken heads of traitors on his desk as balls in a Newton's cradle. Tell me where the fragility is when the process can be industrialized or performed "recreationally". It's pure masturbation on how wizards (the nerds of the fantasy world) are the coolest and greatest (incidentally a huge point of contention in D&D version 3 vs version 4)

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

hackbunny posted:

Oh god we have a live one. You've missed the fact that the Chinese government supplies the Laundry with the forearms of executed prisoners as raw materials to manufacture weaponized hands of glory. Or the fact that one of the Laundry's top officers keeps the shrunken heads of traitors on his desk as balls in a Newton's cradle. Tell me where the fragility is when the process can be industrialized or performed "recreationally". It's pure masturbation on how wizards (the nerds of the fantasy world) are the coolest and greatest (incidentally a huge point of contention in D&D version 3 vs version 4)

The fragility is that the nightmare scenario they're preparing for is their own powers turning against them. CASE NIGHTMARE GREEN is an apocalypse where magic becomes more powerful, more common, less safe, less easily controlled, and more likely to attract more powerful creatures from beyond, until we either blink ourselves out of existence or get eaten by something else. In keeping with Stross's particular preoccupations, it's a none-too-veiled nuclear proliferation metaphor with a side-order of global warming.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.
Someone should Let's Read Watch On The Rhine because that sounds like the worst and most tasteless book in existence. Also I'm already dead inside and fear nothing.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Jew it to it! posted:

The Milkweed Triptych by Ian Tregillis sort of fits the bill of what you're looking for.

Book blurb: When the Nazis start running missions with people who have unnatural abilities—a woman who can turn invisible, a man who can walk through walls, and the woman Marsh saw in Spain who can use her knowledge of the future to twist the present—Marsh is the man who has to face them. He rallies the secret warlocks of Britain to hold the impending invasion at bay. But magic always exacts a price. Eventually, the sacrifice necessary to defeat the enemy will be as terrible as outright loss would be.

It goes sort of how you'd expect.
So, Necroscope but set earlier.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Not really. It's basically a WWII spy novel with Nazi technofuckery and British warlocks for a significant part of the first one, the second one is a Cold War spy novel with Russian technofuckery upsetting the fragile balance like ICBMs did, and I can't describe the third one without massive spoilers.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The Furlites of Aroriel thread has gotten its first hints at Shartball, and it seems like basically alien rugby.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Nothing like Lumley.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
What's RPO?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

coyo7e posted:

What's RPO?

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Darth Walrus posted:

The fragility is that the nightmare scenario they're preparing for is their own powers turning against them. CASE NIGHTMARE GREEN is an apocalypse where magic becomes more powerful, more common, less safe, less easily controlled, and more likely to attract more powerful creatures from beyond, until we either blink ourselves out of existence or get eaten by something else. In keeping with Stross's particular preoccupations, it's a none-too-veiled nuclear proliferation metaphor with a side-order of global warming.

Yeah nice save Stross, but remember when you made Donald Knuth the most powerful wizard in the world and the unreleased volumes 5 and on of The Art Of Computer Programming classified magical tomes?

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

Presented without context or comment:

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

hackbunny posted:

Stephan king is actually good :shh:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

hackbunny posted:

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Mr. Sunshine posted:

What is it with right-wing rear end in a top hat writers and portraying their ideological enemies as completely insane lunatics willingly and knowingly trying to destroy everything that is good and just?

That's been the American right's dominant narrative for the last quarter-century or so. And it was lurking within the culture of the right pretty much from the start of the Cold War. (Google the John Birch Society sometime, and then stay up late knowing that their ideology is in the driver's seat of all three branches of government right now.)

uli2000
Feb 23, 2015
I'm a huge Bill Bryson fan and will buy pretty much anything that has his name on it. In the early 90's, after 20 years as a newspaper reporter in the UK, he was leaving to return to America and took a walking trip, writing about it in Notes From a Small Island. As an American expat living in the UK at the time, I loved the book and the view of life in the UK from a perspective I could really relate to. Twenty plus years (and several best sellers later), he sets out to write basically a sequel to Notes From A Small Island called The Road to Little Dribbling. All the second book is is an old man bitching about change and how he hates it. It's supposed to encompass a journey from the south end of England all the way up thru Scotland, but 3/4 of the book is London and the home counties, barely touching on the the rest of the country. Quite the waste of 600 pages, but of course, it being Bill Bryson, every book reviewer was lining up to stroke his dick.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

hackbunny posted:

I love this picture because I can totally imagine this man writing the infamous "bonding" scene it It. As well as a manifesto and homemade bomb instructions.

On a cave wall.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

hackbunny posted:

Was this back in his coke fiend days?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Was this back in his coke fiend days?
The piece is about how Carrie will be getting a paperback edition "sometime in early 1975", so we're looking at a little (read: a decade) earlier.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

hackbunny posted:

$4000,000? Who writes numbers that way?

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

uli2000 posted:

I'm a huge Bill Bryson fan and will buy pretty much anything that has his name on it. In the early 90's, after 20 years as a newspaper reporter in the UK, he was leaving to return to America and took a walking trip, writing about it in Notes From a Small Island. As an American expat living in the UK at the time, I loved the book and the view of life in the UK from a perspective I could really relate to. Twenty plus years (and several best sellers later), he sets out to write basically a sequel to Notes From A Small Island called The Road to Little Dribbling. All the second book is is an old man bitching about change and how he hates it. It's supposed to encompass a journey from the south end of England all the way up thru Scotland, but 3/4 of the book is London and the home counties, barely touching on the the rest of the country. Quite the waste of 600 pages, but of course, it being Bill Bryson, every book reviewer was lining up to stroke his dick.
That's disappointing but not surprising. Notes From A Small Island was great, but an awful lot of it was given over to grousing about how icky any form of modernization is, and misty-eyed pastoral chauvinism that reminded me of Michael Moorcock's criticisms of Tolkien. Think I'll be giving this one a miss. (Though his observation that it's a shame England never tried communism, not because of its viability as an economic system but because the English, with their penchant for mediocre food, lowered expectations and waiting in line, would be terrific at it, remains a classic.)

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Tiggum posted:

$4000,000? Who writes numbers that way?

Someone who made a typo.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I made a Twitter thread about Tom Delonge's UFO conspiracy book if you guys wanna check it out.

https://twitter.com/grittyrebootSA/status/912963335662039040?s=09

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Screaming Idiot posted:

I love this picture because I can totally imagine this man writing the infamous "bonding" scene it It. As well as a manifesto and homemade bomb instructions.

On a cave wall.

This was originally printed when he was a student:

Brass Key
Sep 15, 2007

Attention! Something tremendous has happened!

RC and Moon Pie posted:

This was originally printed when he was a student:

This poster went on to be scenery in the original Silent Hill (along with SH's elementary school being designed after the school in Kindergarten Cop. Yes, really.)

Crazy eyes Stephen King really gets around.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

spite house posted:

That's disappointing but not surprising. Notes From A Small Island was great, but an awful lot of it was given over to grousing about how icky any form of modernization is, and misty-eyed pastoral chauvinism that reminded me of Michael Moorcock's criticisms of Tolkien. Think I'll be giving this one a miss. (Though his observation that it's a shame England never tried communism, not because of its viability as an economic system but because the English, with their penchant for mediocre food, lowered expectations and waiting in line, would be terrific at it, remains a classic.)

I read it and it's... ok. There are some pretty good observations and some interesting stories but it's not much of a travelog

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

uli2000 posted:

He also wrote a book called The Mother Tongue which is basically factual errors and stupid ideas from cover to cover.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

hackbunny posted:

Stephen King as Killer BOB? King nowadays seems like a fun, laidback guy full of interesting stories, but 70s and 80s King sounds like he'd be terrifying to encounter in person.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Jerry Cotton posted:

He also wrote a book called The Mother Tongue which is basically factual errors and stupid ideas from cover to cover.
I imagine that it would have driven you to obscenity... if your language contained any obscenities.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

OldMemes posted:

Stephen King as Killer BOB? King nowadays seems like a fun, laidback guy full of interesting stories, but 70s and 80s King sounds like he'd be terrifying to encounter in person.

To be fair, '80's Stephen King was by all accounts a sapient mass of alcohol and cocaine shoddily inhabiting a human skin, so... yeah.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Does make me wonder what various nationals think of Bill Bryson's travelogues. Down Under probably sells better in Australia than anywhere else because it's quite affectionate and brings up cool stuff most Australians didn't even know about. Also, it's goddamn hilarious.

Also, he is right at least that the English language is a shambling Frankensteinian abomination too horrible to die that spreads like a disease and assimilates like the Borg.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I imagine that it would have driven you to obscenity... if your language contained any obscenities.

Oh jesus caries I'd managed to forget all about "ravintolassa". Voi lakkiluken lakkiluke!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Antivehicular posted:

To be fair, '80's Stephen King was by all accounts a sapient mass of alcohol and cocaine shoddily inhabiting a human skin, so... yeah.
King admits there are whole books he does not remember writing, and he directed Maximum Overdrive and only barely recalls being unfathomably incompetent at that, so honestly he was probably less frightening in the 70s. I don't know how much cocaine it takes to completely forget that you wrote an entire novel, but I'm going to assume it's more than young scrappy hobo King could afford before his books blew up.