Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Just got my phone back, my Platoon and company did really good but BN and BDE were pretty bad.

BDE live fire was loving horrible, so slow and boring and took almost 3 days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Mustang posted:

Just got my phone back, my Platoon and company did really good but BN and BDE were pretty bad.

did any of your companies lose an entire humvee?

because that's my barometer for "pretty bad"

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Didn't see a PLR related to your rotation. Success!

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Vahakyla posted:

Most of my BCT acquintances think BCT was the highlift of their life and Drill Sergeants were "father figures". Most of us hit our one year mark, so they got their nostalgia goggles on Facebook And I hate them.

173rd owns. Training was my life's dumbest experience.

Some people had such hosed up upbringings that drills are like father figures. Let's be grateful if we came up better than that, and also lament what that signifies for how hosed up our nation is

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

A commander got fired and his 1LT XO ran his company for the rest of the rotation

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF

Mustang posted:

Aka the same aar comment everyone has had for the last 37 years

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Mustang posted:

A commander got fired and his 1LT XO ran his company for the rest of the rotation
Nice! :thumbsup:

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

Mustang posted:

I want to know this story (so I don't get fired)

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Ashmole posted:

Oh man this is so good.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Mustang posted:

Yeah gonna need the the deetz on this one

Ashmole posted:

Also this. Positives: "We dun good"

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
I'd rather be that captain than the guy who had a Stryker fall on top of him. Or the guy who got sandwiched between a LMTV and HMMT trailer.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Pretty sure that commander and the guy that had a Stryker fall on him were in the same company, I watched the medevac for that one, unless someone else got crushed too

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

It's this unit, and it's NTC, so anything is possible!

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

My last Ntc rotation, during hour 7 of a 12 hour toc jump, after having half the convoy die in a minefield that we already reconned, in 105 degree weather, and breaking the TMSS I said to myself "maybe we kinda suck at this"

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Pretty bad is when you fail JRTC so hard your brigade's Afghanistan rotation gets canceled and given to mine.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

A Bad Poster posted:

I'd rather be that captain than the guy who had a Stryker fall on top of him. Or the guy who got sandwiched between a LMTV and HMMT trailer.

Had this happen in Afghanistan. Fortunately, the idiot who got hurt didn't neglect leg day and his femur was spared solely by the grace of his leg muscles. He had massive clotting and had to be MEDEVACed to Germany.

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

Ashmole posted:

My last Ntc rotation, during hour 7 of a 12 hour toc jump, after having half the convoy die in a minefield that we already reconned, in 105 degree weather, and breaking the TMSS I said to myself "maybe we kinda suck at this"

The entire Army kinda sucks at everything.

But, somehow, every other military on Earth sucks so much more, so it all works out.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

Pesticide20 posted:

Pretty bad is when you fail JRTC so hard your brigade's Afghanistan rotation gets canceled and given to mine.

Are you in 2/4?

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

psydude posted:

Had this happen in Afghanistan. Fortunately, the idiot who got hurt didn't neglect leg day and his femur was spared solely by the grace of his leg muscles. He had massive clotting and had to be MEDEVACed to Germany.

Yeah, this dude doesn't have a pelvis anymore.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Yep, that is the same company as the fired CO, talking to his PSG it's apparently not as bad as people thought it was

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

Loden Taylor posted:

But, somehow, every other military on Earth sucks so much more, so it all works out.

You meant to say "But somehow no other Army gets anywhere close as much money" right?

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Ashmole posted:

Are you in 2/4?

No. When I was in 1st Brigade at the 82nd, 2nd Brigade failed JRTC really badly. A bunch of command teams got fired or broken up and NCOs were sent throughout the division because it was such a mess. Then the deployment they were slotted for got assigned to 1st Brigade and I got to see FOB Shank a second time before playing mall cop at Gamberi. I also managed to gently caress up my shoulder, get sent home early, get surgery, and then get a med board so small miracles I guess.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Lol that's right. You guys ended up going there twice in what, like 2 years?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
is JRTC not a thing anymore? i only ever see Mustang and anyone else talking about going to NTC.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

psydude posted:

Lol that's right. You guys ended up going there twice in what, like 2 years?

Yeah, although I got lucky with my rotations because I was there in 2012 with the 173d and again in 2014 with the 82nd

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
It's still a thing. JRTC is mainly for IBCT where as NTC is better suited for HBCT and SBCT. I did a JRTC UW rotation with 3rd SFG right before I went to Afghanistan last year. It still sucks and the only highlight was watching people slip and fall into the vast amounts of wild horse poo poo everywhere during the couple days in rained.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
The best part of JRTC is committing fratricide on FOB Tillman

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
JRTC was the worst army experience I had.

This opinion changes based on my mood though.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

I'm getting ready for my second Ntc rotation in less than 6 months. I just got back from PDSS/LTP (I also went to the field for like 4 days immediately after lmao) and all of the civilians were like "lol you were just here". They kept stretching how long we were gone "4 months ago" "5 months ago" and I was like bitch, it's only been 40 days since I left gently caress you.

Our OCs were also like "uh, well you guys kind of know the deal so do you have any questions?'

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
oh yeah i just remembered it's the end of the FY

ahahahahah

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

gently caress being UMO, get here first and leave last

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Mustang posted:

Hahahahaha, UMO suuuucks. I did all of the UMO training and air load planning courses and was 100% certified, but then on the tactical systems, I was primary crew and passed evals first, so about 60 days before everything shipped overseas and the BN deployed, the new LT got hit with UMO duty instead. I dodged a helluva bullet. Our commander basically made anyone who couldn't certify in a timely manner the "everything else" LT running hazmat, UMO, all ranges, etc.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I just inherited all the additional duties of my predecessor. I'm only just barely certified for UMO, from the 2 day JBLM course so I'm not even certified for UMO outside of JBLM units.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Mustang posted:

I just inherited all the additional duties of my predecessor. I'm only just barely certified for UMO, from the 2 day JBLM course so I'm not even certified for UMO outside of JBLM units.

When I was a new LT, my commander just sent me to virtually every single additional duty slot for the 2 months I had before I took over a platoon. Then I turned out to be the guy good at shooting missiles at missiles, became the primary unit trainer, and the outgoing commander didn't really bother to swap out the additional duties. New incoming commander was like "wtf, why is my best tactician and battery trainer assigned the majority of additional duties?" and passed them out to everyone else save one or two that made logical sense (comsec OIC, wooo...), certifications be damned. It actually worked out really well for the unit, and of course also for me personally.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

Mustang posted:

Try being S4. I was first in and last out for torch and trail. I was there for 43 loving days

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Ashmole posted:

Try being S4. I was first in and last out for torch and trail. I was there for 43 loving days

I knew an S4 1LT non-S4 by MOS guy who was both. As we were flying strat air out for deployment, I found him outside with no cover, chainsmoking and talking at a wall.

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!

Loden Taylor posted:

Even on maintenance for the really expensive things.

Just read this the other day:

http://www.theleafchronicle.com/story/news/2017/09/21/fort-campbell-army-apache-guardian-helicopter-crash/637941001/

This is why I'm neurotic during preflight. The terrifying bit is that the main rotor separated from the aircraft. Those guys were literally helpless to do anything.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

I knew an S4 1LT non-S4 by MOS guy who was both. As we were flying strat air out for deployment, I found him outside with no cover, chainsmoking and talking at a wall.

I essentially had to do both and I'm an armor guy. They were pretty much just like "you got all the deployment and rsoi stuff. Welp see ya later"

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

NTC doesn't make sense for SBCTs because you can't fight strykers like bradleys and Abrams, which is how the OC teams want you to fight.

An SBCT isn't an IBCT but I think it has more in common with them than they do ABCTs. JRTC seems like it would be better suited for strykers than NTC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Mustang, if you say so, I'll use whatever ounces of influence I have (none) to send Stryker crews to the swamps of Louisiana.

Also you've just unwittingly described why the army is desperately looking at ways to up-gun Strykers.