Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Nanomashoes posted:

Tom Perez can help to solve this problem by resigning and letting the black guy have his position.

What level of bad is it when you tell a minority to step aside for another minority?

You got a problem with Dominicans, brah?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

GoluboiOgon posted:

It's about class as well as race. Plenty of poor white folk in prison now for selling opiates, while the CEOs of pharma companies did the same thing x1000 and are enjoying their yachts.

Frankly for what they did I pretty much think branding on the face is a perfectly acceptable punishment. Along with the stripping of all their wealth from them and their families.

Fuck Whitey
Nov 9, 2016

by SA Support Robot

Crowsbeak posted:

Frankly for what they did I pretty much think branding on the face is a perfectly acceptable punishment. Along with the stripping of all their wealth from them and their families.

What

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Koalas March posted:

Overall I'd agree but in this instance Michael was a poor, gay, drug addict who lived in poverty despite his lavish partying in clubs. He was convicted of killing his drug dealer/ex-boyfriend.

He did serve 16 years for murder. That's hardly getting away free. (Although he managed to dodge a crack possession charge in 2017).

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

GoluboiOgon posted:

He did serve 16 years for murder. That's hardly getting away free. (Although he managed to dodge a crack possession charge in 2017).

No one said he got away free, I said that it's easier for white ex-cons to land on their feet. It wasn't a literal "Getting away with murder".

My point was they have a much, much easier time reintegrating into society than a poc.

Koalas March fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Sep 23, 2017

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Hey if you intentionally poison the county with drugs on a grand scale, you deserve something permanent.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

opioids are great, nothing wrong with selling or taking them

the problem is our horrible capitalist hellworld that incentives us to abuse opioids by making us fat and miserable and in pain from working til our joints give out IMHO

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Crowsbeak posted:

Hey if you intentionally poison the county with drugs on a grand scale, you deserve something permanent.

The Chinese bureaucrats fought two wars against the British to keep them from selling opium in their country in the 19th century. In the 21st century, US officials merely asked for campaign contributions from companies that wanted to flood the market with opiates. Why was an autocratic bureaucracy better at protecting their people from being deliberately hooked on opiates than a nominally representative democracy?

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
I thought that the problem with Opioids was that Doctors were being pushed (and payed) to prescribe them for everything by the pharmaceutical companies. Most of these drugs are meant for the terminally ill or those in severe or chronic pain. Instead they were prescribed for like, a twisted ankle or joint inflammation. This nets the pharma industry massive profits, but of course leaves addicts in their wake because of how strong these drugs actually are.

Peak capitalism.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Condiv posted:

edit: also, we put people into jail for too long for certain crimes and for too short a time for others

bankers who ruin the lives of millions because of their endless greed should be getting life sentences

Not only that, they should be stripped of all their assets and it returned to the public. Ideally the assets of their companies and banks as well. I don't care if it affects their families or their stockholders, you have to make sure that no one can benefit, because otherwise you have companies willing to look the other way while their looters do all the work. If it puts everyone involved at huge risk of losing everything you'll see a lot fewer people willing to loot billions from the public.

Crowsbeak posted:

I don't disagree. What they're doing has an unimaginably large impact on society, but because it's filtered through layers of bureaucracy they're able to get away with horrible loving crimes. Same poo poo for many of our politicians and legislators, really, their decisions have huge impacts and murder millions but because it's filtered through 17 different layers of implementation and degrees of separation they can just shrug and go "It was a mistaken vote, what can you blame me for?"

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

No he could have done his loving job and nominated a supreme court judge, but he couldn't even do that.

everyone really did forget about Merrick Garland immediately, eh

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Kokoro Wish posted:

I thought that the problem with Opioids was that Doctors were being pushed (and payed) to prescribe them for everything by the pharmaceutical companies. Most of these drugs are meant for the terminally ill or those in severe or chronic pain. Instead they were prescribed for like, a twisted ankle or joint inflammation. This nets the pharma industry massive profits, but of course leaves addicts in their wake because of how strong these drugs actually are.

Peak capitalism.

the problem with opioids is that I don't have an infinite free supply TBH

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

GoluboiOgon posted:

The Chinese bureaucrats fought two wars against the British to keep them from selling opium in their country in the 19th century. In the 21st century, US officials merely asked for campaign contributions from companies that wanted to flood the market with opiates. Why was an autocratic bureaucracy better at protecting their people from being deliberately hooked on opiates than a nominally representative democracy?

I don't get your point. Beyond the fact that I am certain every person who worked for the EIC is burning in hell along with Victoria. Grand Scale Maleficence should be rewarded with disfigurement along with poverty. It really is that simple.

BTW I know this isn't really US pol related, but anyone see the poo poo for this film.

https://twitter.com/VictoriaAbdul/status/869553995643183104

This is like if Russia made and heavily promoted a film about the overall decent relationship between Ukranian Semyon Timonshnko and Stalin to suggest Stalin was great to the Ukranians.

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Sep 23, 2017

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

No he could have done his loving job and nominated a supreme court judge, but he couldn't even do that.

The hottest of hot takes.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Koalas March posted:

According to studies companies would rather hire a white man with a criminal conviction over a black man with a clean record. As always, a lot of the white men will be fine. (Not counting trauma related to their incarceration.)

White men can get away with almost anything in our society. Even Michael Alig, a convicted murderer, is hosting parties in NY again.

And interesting case of this.

Legal weed businesses would rather have a white with no experience run a weed business into the ground than a non white with lots of experience.

There's a few articles called white washing the green gold rush that talk about this.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I'll take "Who is Merrick Garland for two hundred, Alex."

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Mister Adequate posted:

Remember other than a website there was no accounting for the stolen seat, in part McConnell told Obama he's make it a big issue.. or something. No wait that was Russia.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

try the new taco place posted:

everyone really did forget about Merrick Garland immediately, eh

El Pollo Blanco posted:

The hottest of hot takes.

Mister Adequate posted:

Would have been fine, but why didn't Obama make a bigger deal out of it? Take to twitter, hit the media circuit as president. He had 9 month to advocate for the guy. But instead was preoccupied with trying to push the idiotic TPP and take embarassing pot-shots at Trump and otherwise do gently caress all. Seems like he just checked out and didn't care all that much either way.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Oh hey years back some thing was floated about a meeting with music execs and PIC reps. Did that ever amount to anything other than nonsense?

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Would have been fine, but why didn't Obama make a bigger deal out of it? Take to twitter, hit the media circuit as president. He had 9 month to advocate for the guy. But instead was preoccupied with trying to push the idiotic TPP and take embarassing pot-shots at Trump and otherwise do gently caress all. Seems like he just checked out and didn't care all that much either way.

No matter how big of a deal Obama made out of his SC pick getting blocked, the GOP were not going to budge.

He literally gave them the Garland, the guy Orrin Hatch said would be a excellent SC justice, and they still blocked the nomination.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

El Pollo Blanco posted:

No matter how big of a deal Obama made out of his SC pick getting blocked, the GOP were not going to budge.

He literally gave them the Garland, the guy Orrin Hatch said would be a excellent SC justice, and they still blocked the nomination.

No, you see Obama had a secret ring granting him the power of Will, with which he could bend the will of recalcitrant foes to his. His refusal to use it was the most frustrating thing about his presidency. What's the point of having Green Lantern's super powers if you won't use them?

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Bully pulpit.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

What level of bad is it when you tell a minority to step aside for another minority?

You got a problem with Dominicans, brah?

Yeah, they're on the same island as Haiti but not nearly as cool.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlqBcXh231g

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Democrats don't fight for anything as hard as the GOP fights to kill women and poors.

Neither half of that is good.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

El Pollo Blanco posted:

I think the big issue was not making it a big issue while pissing away most of his time with the TPP. Like, that was the hill to die on in your last few months in office, not stronger IP protections clauses for international corporations.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
How would fighting harder for his SC nomination actually gotten it through the Senate? The only way to bully pulpit was to campaign harder for Hillary Clinton in order to secure a Dem SC nomination, and that would have gone down like a lead balloon as well.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
He should have done a recess appointment

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

call to action posted:

The GOP prevented the Senate from going into recess?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

call to action posted:

When? And why?

(I can think of answers that are not entirely moronic to both of those but I am curious as to whether yours meet those criteria)

And also which argument I probably disagree with I should evaluate

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

He should've packed the court like FDR tried when he still had a friendly Congress in 2010. Democrats are cowards who are afraid to game the system.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

call to action posted:

"I understand nothing at all", the post

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

GoluboiOgon posted:

Jimmy Carter used prisoner labor when he was gov. of Georgia. Unlike she-who-must-not-be-named, he overturned the charges against at least 2 of them for being obviously bogus. (One was held in bondage for 5 years over a court debt of $500).

jimmy also created the Georgian state holiday of lt. calley day

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

GreyjoyBastard posted:

When? And why?

(I can think of answers that are not entirely moronic to both of those but I am curious as to whether yours meet those criteria)

And also which argument I probably disagree with I should evaluate

By technically holding session every so often they can prevent recess appointments:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/powerpost/wp/2016/02/23/senate-republicans-dont-plan-to-let-obama-replace-scalia-over-recess/

quote:

Obama has the constitutional right to "fill up all Vacancies that may happen during the Recess of the Senate, by granting Commissions which shall expire at the End of their next Session" in what's known as a recess appointment. It's a controversial maneuver designed to bypass the Senate confirmation process, but Obama previously used it in 2012 to install long-delayed members of the National Labor Relations Board.

But Senate Majority Whip John Cornyn (R-Texas) said Monday that he doesn't expect the Senate to recess at all for the remainder of the year.

"I'd say it's safe to say we're going to do whatever it takes to make sure the president doesn't issue any recess appointments," Cornyn said.

SOCTUS ruled this is legit.

wiki posted:

On June 26, 2014, in a 9–0 ruling, the United States Supreme Court validated this practice of using pro forma sessions to block the president from using the recess appointment authority.

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Sep 23, 2017

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Even if Garland had been recess appointed somehow, his term would have expired in January, 2017 and the Republicans would have gotten to pick the seat anyway.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Obama should have offered to pardon whoever killed any Republican senator while under federal jurisdiction

he didn't even try!

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
fuckin amateur hour in here tonight, whoo-ee

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Mantis42 posted:

He should've packed the court like FDR tried when he still had a friendly Congress in 2010. Democrats are cowards who are afraid to game the system.

So you're saying Obama should have had all conservative members of the SC murdered in 2010?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

El Pollo Blanco posted:

So you're saying Obama should have had all conservative members of the SC murdered in 2010?

Mantis' solution is (probably, strategically) nuts but you're misreading it - he's arguing that Obama should have expanded the court beyond nine seats and filled it with commies.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Obama should have offered to pardon whoever killed any Republican senator while under federal jurisdiction

he didn't even try!

Naw, but if Dems ever get a large enough majority they should def carve up new states out of old ones to rig the Senate in their favor. For example, every New York borough could be its own state.

The best way to get our dumb loving constitution fixed is to abuse its loopholes until even the reactionaries are forced to get on board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Mantis42 posted:

Naw, but if Dems ever get a large enough majority they should def carve up new states out of old ones to rig the Senate in their favor. For example, every New York borough could be its own state.

The best way to get our dumb loving constitution fixed is to abuse its loopholes until even the reactionaries are forced to get on board.

The constitution explicitly forbids that.

• Locked thread