Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
Cool, figured it was something along those lines, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Corrode posted:

Yeah I was playing like once a month or so and barely knew what was happening which made it hard to keep focused on. Plus yeah like other people have said, the models don't really grab me - I had PanOceania stuff and there's a bunch of things which I find conceptually cool but nothing makes me go PAINT THIS RIGHT NOW.

Infinity is a complex game. I play it in tournaments, which I'd rather not do with 40k. It is definitely a game which rewards expertise and accumulated experience of all the tricks, tactics and strategies that can be played. Honestly I think it's he best of its type by a mile. Obviously if the minis don't grab you there's not much to do about it, we can only do what we're genuinely enthused about.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Pierzak posted:

If you have the terrain to play Infinity correctly, why would you want to play 40k? :v:

An army of delightful plastic soldiers in easy to paint bold colors! Honestly, the scale is a big part. Infinity is great, but once your list gets lots of activations it becomes two dozen Scots praying until their power causes US Werewolf to change into a DBZ character.

Having opponents is nice too!

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Lord_Hambrose posted:

it becomes two dozen Scots praying until their power causes US Werewolf to change into a DBZ character.

Having opponents is nice too!

:stare:

Maybe I need to give Infinity a second look.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Pendent posted:

:stare:

Maybe I need to give Infinity a second look.

That explanation is an exaggeration of how the Ariadna faction plays.

But only a slight exaggeration.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

JoshTheStampede posted:

Cheerleaders for the win.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

JoshTheStampede posted:

I think this is something which some players/groups do experience in Infinity

(for the uninitiated, in very simple terms you start each turn with one activation for each of your models on the board. A single model can be activated any number of times. So if you have 10 scrubs and 1 powerful piece, it can make sense to pour your entire turn into that model, activating it 11 times)

This is basically stopped dead by the missions. Infinity has a full suite of tournament missions, around 16 I think, updated yearly. These can be played at a range of point levels. Some are wholly based on achieving non-offensive objectives, in some killing your opponent's army is an objective in itself (major or minor), some missions are a mix. Board position is enormously important in Infinity and I have never known really good players to excessively emphasise one model as their only attacking piece.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Genghis Cohen posted:

I think this is something which some players/groups do experience in Infinity

(for the uninitiated, in very simple terms you start each turn with one activation for each of your models on the board. A single model can be activated any number of times. So if you have 10 scrubs and 1 powerful piece, it can make sense to pour your entire turn into that model, activating it 11 times)

This is basically stopped dead by the missions. Infinity has a full suite of tournament missions, around 16 I think, updated yearly. These can be played at a range of point levels. Some are wholly based on achieving non-offensive objectives, in some killing your opponent's army is an objective in itself (major or minor), some missions are a mix. Board position is enormously important in Infinity and I have never known really good players to excessively emphasise one model as their only attacking piece.

I didn't mean it as an insult. I play Ariadna. :)

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
So prices on eBay are super ridiculous and I live nowhere near a GW store, I don't suppose there's anyone who would be willing to ship a poor goon a store birthday primary captain? I'm happy to pay 35-50 bucks shipped. (i'm assuming msrp is 35 like most characters).

I figure if I'm gonna pay markup I'd rather pay it to some goon ham than an rear end in a top hat on ebay (not that those are necessarily mutually exclusive).

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

bonds0097 posted:

So prices on eBay are super ridiculous and I live nowhere near a GW store, I don't suppose there's anyone who would be willing to ship a poor goon a store birthday primary captain? I'm happy to pay 35-50 bucks shipped. (i'm assuming msrp is 35 like most characters).

I figure if I'm gonna pay markup I'd rather pay it to some goon ham than an rear end in a top hat on ebay (not that those are necessarily mutually exclusive).

If my store lets me get 2, the birthday is tomorrow. I'll ship you one.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

Booley posted:

If my store lets me get 2, the birthday is tomorrow. I'll ship you one.

That would be awesome, PM me if the store is amenable. :p

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

JoshTheStampede posted:

I didn't mean it as an insult. I play Ariadna. :)

No, it's cool, I just have heard of/talked with people who dumped the game because they couldn't process that kind of thing. Didn't want anyone to miss out or get scared away from a cool game!

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I grew up in the area near 50 and 197, and it's a pretty nice town. The limits don't even reach 495 so I have no idea where you're thinking of, but I agree there are definitely some unpleasant parts of PG County near the beltway.

Anyway the Warhammer store is in a pretty nice neighborhood. If it wasn't an hour drive for me I would go there more often.

I think the east side of town closer to Lanham is a lot different , either that or that part of my family was trash. Even odds on both.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
I have tried a few games over the years to experience cleaner rules and more competitive atmospheres.

From the beginning of the match I felt like I was under the gun and in a weird way the outcome would determine if I was smart or dumb. They felt more like a dry game of chess than a tabletop fantasy/sci-fi game. These complaints also kept me from playing most RTS multiplayer matches back in the day, I would just have more fun playing the campaigns and not put myself in a battle of wits with another person.

40k games feel like campaign games of command a conquer is what I'm trying to say.

Great 40k games can be close, but there is something about the beer and pretzels mechanics that, for me, hits the balance just right. We are not playing to see who is better than the other, we are just playing the game and enjoying the ride.

Also no one in my area plays these other games anyway...

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
40k games are command and conquer. Infinity is Xcom or Frozen Synapse.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

WhiteOutMouse posted:

Also no one in my area plays these other games anyway...

You live across the street from one of the largest Mantic communities in the US, Tampa was one of the two places that Guild Ball grew out of, and Serenity Games has a sizable Malifaux community.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
40k is Yahtzee, Infinity is Risk.

Cainer
May 8, 2008
Really? Yahtzee? Not Mouse Trap?

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat
Hungry Hungry Heretics

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Infinity is literally Valkyria Chronicles.

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

MasterSlowPoke posted:

You live across the street from one of the largest Mantic communities in the US, Tampa was one of the two places that Guild Ball grew out of, and Serenity Games has a sizable Malifaux community.

I'm in Orlando and I had no idea they were out of Tampa. AFAIK nobody here plays it, at least not in stores.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

JoshTheStampede posted:

40k games are command and conquer. Infinity is Xcom or Frozen Synapse.

40k is Heavy Metal 2000

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:

JoshTheStampede posted:

It is most definitely not a game you can play half-heartedly, I find. It's maybe my favorite game, but it requires a lot more mental energy. I can't just beer and pretzels it when I am drunk or want to relax like I can with 40k.

Agree completely. It is not a "chill out" game. I love Infinity, but if I am tired its the last thing I want to play.

moths posted:

I'd be a lot more excited about Infinity if my figures would stay glued together.

Some of the Infinity sculpts are absolutely torture to assemble. Particularly some of the drones and female minis with arms the size of a toothpick sticking out horizontally, with a join the size of a needle head.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Infinity is literally Valkyria Chronicles.

Does that make 40k Fire Emblem?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

What's a good source for Guard plasmas? I need like, 8, and unsurprisingly bitz sites are light on stock.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Corrode posted:

What's a good source for Guard plasmas? I need like, 8, and unsurprisingly bitz sites are light on stock.
https://www.games-workshop.com/en-AU/Space-Marine-Plasma-Guns
They also have a similar 5-pack of meltas.

Used to be metal, is now resin, so it's trivial to just cut the grip off and attach it to one of the several guardsmen arms that are holding a detached grip.

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!

Super chuffed with how my nurgle boy test model is coming along, still got some cleaning up to do and highlighting the armour, but it's so far so good!

Can't believe how far I'm coming along with my painting too, a while back I wouldn't have dared trying armour trims!

Tiger Millionaire fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Sep 23, 2017

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Groetgaffel posted:

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-AU/Space-Marine-Plasma-Guns
They also have a similar 5-pack of meltas.

Used to be metal, is now resin, so it's trivial to just cut the grip off and attach it to one of the several guardsmen arms that are holding a detached grip.

Didn't think of these but that will work perfectly, thanks.

Tiger Millionaire posted:

Super chuffed with how my nurgle boy test model is coming along, still got some cleaning up to do and highlighting the armour, but it's so far so good!

Can't believe how far I'm coming along with my painting too, a while back I wouldn't have dared trying armour trims!

Needs a timg. Cool dude though.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

I would play the gently caress out of this if it wasn't just a Halloween event.

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya
World of tanks but just 40k and 30k vehicles would be bad-rear end as gently caress

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

bonds0097 posted:

That would be awesome, PM me if the store is amenable. :p

I've ordered 2 from the store. They don't stock them, so it'll take a week to come in.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Do the FW Index knights work with the Admech Codex as written? They have IMPERIUM, QUESTOR IMPERIALIS, <HOUSEHOLD> and I'm trying to figure out if this is the book I'd buy for Admech aligned house Taranis. Or are house knights are their own thing that'll get covered later and I'd stick with the index?

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

moths posted:

Do the FW Index knights work with the Admech Codex as written? They have IMPERIUM, QUESTOR IMPERIALIS, <HOUSEHOLD> and I'm trying to figure out if this is the book I'd buy for Admech aligned house Taranis. Or are house knights are their own thing that'll get covered later and I'd stick with the index?

Taranis is an AdMech aligned house and is in the new AdMech codex. They have a like 4 pages worth of Mechanicus Aligned Knight Houses.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Oh poo poo, ok looks like I'm buying the new book. Thanks!

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Black_Nexus posted:

World of tanks but just 40k and 30k vehicles would be bad-rear end as gently caress

Good news!
https://wotblitz.com/en/news/pc-browser/news/warhammer-40000/

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

That's their lovely mobile game though, right?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Close, it's the console only version.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Shoulda been warthunder

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

So I've been trying to chaos up a leviathan dread I bought for my Emperor's Children army. First time working with greenstuff too. Should I leave the banner, or ditch it? If I leave it in might try to magnetized it so I don't snap it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

I am pro-flag on all warham models