Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Dream Attack posted:

I really don't get the complaints about PoE's calculations, the developers spend a lot of time specifically wording things and as a result you can tell exactly what an increase/decrease will do - as long as you understand the terminology.

Sure it makes things complex, but allows for programs like Path of Building to give you solid numbers. In every other ARPG I can think of (grim dawn, torchlight, diablo, marvel heroes) the devs haven't bothered releasing their math/calcs so the players are totally in the dark.

Tooltip numbers are misleading of course, but again that's the case for every other ARPG too! There's too many variables (shocked, EE, cursed, intimidated, taunted, penetration, boss, shaper, covered in ash, etc) to make them broadly accurate so I think PoB is a practical necessity.

My problem is that you are never ever told in game what the majority of wording means, you have to suss it out from other people or from the internet, even with the new and improved help system a lot of gaps in game knowledge are left

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

They actually explain it in the new help pages that everyone ignores

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Mr. Despair posted:

They actually explain it in the new help pages that everyone ignores

The difference between increased and more damage/whatever, the difference between +crit and %increased crit, and all that?

(fake edit) Oh gently caress, it does. I was looking in the wrong pages. Well welly well.

cnice
Apr 6, 2017

Duck and Cover posted:

I wish the game had dummies to help figure out clear speed/dps.

Honestly, I'm kind of glad that they don't. If they were to add a dummy they would have to add some kind of damage number popping up like in D3. And I think that that kind of kills this kind of game. Right now you just go based on how your build feels if you have x item compared to y item on.

Granted you could always use Path of Building to get a better representation of your dps.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

cnice posted:

Honestly, I'm kind of glad that they don't. If they were to add a dummy they would have to add some kind of damage number popping up like in D3. And I think that that kind of kills this kind of game. Right now you just go based on how your build feels if you have x item compared to y item on.

Granted you could always use Path of Building to get a better representation of your dps.

they could just add a chat command like they do for /remaining or /reset_xp or /passives etc

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

/showDPS?

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

cnice posted:

The issue is trash mobs die so quickly it's difficult to determine if x is better then y. I sometimes drive myself crazy going back and forth trying to determine which is better. Path of Building helps but is by no means perfect.

Damage numbers could be limited to using dummies.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Sep 23, 2017

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

whypick1 posted:

- SV's wife on their honeymoon

hahah

StashAugustine posted:

Also as a bad player, I think it should be pointed out to newbies that you don't have to follow a guide (although it helps) but you should pretty much 100% always plan out your build yourself. Ask yourself, what character concept do I want (wizard that shoots lightning at people) and then decide on a main skill and ascendancy (arc, elementalist deals with elemental damage) then go to poeplanner and throw in a build that grabs like 170-200% life, then all the nearby relevant damage nodes, then any keystones or jewel slots nearby that look good, then see if you can trim it down to like level 80 or so. That's probably not going to be great, but it'll get you far enough that you can fix mistakes. Then write down your gem slots somewhere and get going
also when we say "follow a guide" that doesn't mean you can't make tweaks to your own taste within a guide, it's not as robotic as it sounds

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
A good example is Lightning Strike and Frost Blades. There's two parts, melee and projectile, and they use different tags. Some tags apply to both! some don't! Don't know what tags are? Follow a guide or read!

cnice
Apr 6, 2017

Duck and Cover posted:

The issue is trash mobs die so quickly it become difficult to determine if x is better then y. I sometimes drive myself crazy going back and forth trying to determine which is better. Path of Building helps but is by no means perfect.

Damage numbers could be limited to using dummies.

I don't know. People would want one step further such as having the green indicator in D3 that pops up saying that the new item you got is better than your old one. I think that being able to decide if an item is better should be left to what you value on an item. It's good that in this game you don't know whether or not having an extra phys dmg mod compared to an elemental attack mod would be better for your character. Being able to decide if an item is better based on an indicator, whether it's a dummy or like the percentage value next to stats like in D3, takes away from the "Hardcore" aspect of the game.

I think a lot of the fun in this game and D2, was when you playing and you found a decent rare and were thinking, "oh poo poo I wonder if this better than what I'm using?"

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

cnice posted:

I don't know. People would want one step further such as having the green indicator in D3 that pops up saying that the new item you got is better than your old one. I think that being able to decide if an item is better should be left to what you value on an item. It's good that in this game you don't know whether or not having an extra phys dmg mod compared to an elemental attack mod would be better for your character. Being able to decide if an item is better based on an indicator, whether it's a dummy or like the percentage value next to stats like in D3, takes away from the "Hardcore" aspect of the game.

I think a lot of the fun in this game and D2, was when you playing and you found a decent rare and were thinking, "oh poo poo I wonder if this better than what I'm using?"

No that item you picked up is not better for your build why did you even pick it up?

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

can i get an invite to the guild? account name m_ivko character named mivko

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down
I just spent money on mystery boxes. I feel like I've crossed some terrible threshold.
I got the gore herald effect though, and it's incredibly viscerally satisfying on herald of ice with the crit dp berserker that people recommended.

Actual question on atlas management. I've completed all through tier 9, and have one shaped map in each of tiers 10-15.
In practice, I generally end up spamming tiers 10-13 and not too much of the others. With unique maps, my atlas completion number is 80. Should I just fill out the t14 and t15 maps for completion percentage? Maybe just the t15s.

Also, killed hydra and phoenix. Might actually kill shaper this league.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
I really hope they make improvements to the skill and buff HUDs like D3 did several patches ago. They were a thing of beauty.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

animatorZed posted:

I just spent money on mystery boxes. I feel like I've crossed some terrible threshold.
I got the gore herald effect though, and it's incredibly viscerally satisfying on herald of ice with the crit dp berserker that people recommended.

grats, you just won PoE

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Dream Attack posted:

I really don't get the complaints about PoE's calculations, the developers spend a lot of time specifically wording things and as a result you can tell exactly what an increase/decrease will do - as long as you understand the terminology.

You should watch this video:

The complaint for me is that the game teaches you a load of rules (well, wikis, etc. do) and then sometimes it arbitrarily breaks them. I have no problem with complexity, that's what keeps me playing the game, but some poo poo in the game is just inexcusably obtuse. If it was internally consistent it could retain the complexity without the current reliance on random bits of arcane knowledge. Honestly there isn't even that much of it, which makes it all the more confusing when you come across an instance.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

..btt posted:

The complaint for me is that the game teaches you a load of rules (well, wikis, etc. do) and then sometimes it arbitrarily breaks them. I have no problem with complexity, that's what keeps me playing the game, but some poo poo in the game is just inexcusably obtuse. If it was internally consistent it could retain the complexity without the current reliance on random bits of arcane knowledge. Honestly there isn't even that much of it, which makes it all the more confusing when you come across an instance.

Those instances are probably rare because, like the one in that video, they're bugs.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Got my first Atziri kill, woo! Died a couple times learning her gimmicks.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Moddington posted:

Those instances are probably rare because, like the one in that video, they're bugs.

the threshold jewel one? its not a bug it got put in a patch note last year

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
You know what DOESN'T make sense with PoE right now? The changes to how Ignite works. If you use a physical attack that converts to fire, none of your +phys support gems will boost your ignite's damage, despite them boosting how much fire damage you do. The approach they made to poison kindof works since most of the ways you can increase physical damage explicitly increase both poison and bleed damage as well... yet Multistrike does not reduce poison damage per hit so it winds up being a huge multiplier! I expect most people new to the game would not notice that.

They removed double dipping yet made things MORE confusing. Ailments should inherit all the tags of your attack that affect the matching damage type, just like damage conversion with hits. Without double dipping even being possible this isn't a problem, so the added restrictions are honestly just arbitrary. Is it even possible to get workable damage out of ignite from something other than Flameblast?

edit: okay never loving mind, the problem is most of the physical damage support gems are "melee" or "projectile" which exclude ignite and poison unless explicitly stated. Maim works with ignite! Burning Arrow just got hit with the nerf hammer especially hard since the projectile tag doesn't work with ignite now.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Sep 23, 2017

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

They have the detailed tool tips on the character screen would be nice if it showed a breakdown there. Keeps it out of the way, could even show every gem that works with it. Maybe require you to have seen it or a vendor offer it, so you'll get most of them.

Maybe even let you what if with the gems in this UI. You could even show the popularity of each support with each skill if you want to get fancy.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

McFrugal posted:

You know what DOESN'T make sense with PoE right now? The changes to how Ignite works. If you use a physical attack that converts to fire, none of your +phys support gems will boost your ignite's damage, despite them boosting how much fire damage you do. The approach they made to poison kindof works since most of the ways you can increase physical damage increase both poison and bleed damage as well... yet Multistrike does not reduce poison damage per hit so it winds up being a huge multiplier! I expect most people new to the game would not notice that.

They removed double dipping yet made things MORE confusing. Ailments should inherit all the tags of your attack that affect the matching damage type, just like damage conversion with hits. Without double dipping even being possible this isn't a problem, so the added restrictions are honestly just arbitrary. Is it even possible to get workable damage out of ignite from something other than Flameblast?

Yeah, if they just make ailment damage work the same as conversion, it'd make far more sense. Right now if you ignite from a converted phys hit I have no idea what actually is the "base" damage (like, does it include +phys and +%phys on the weapon? How about +phys on your ring?). A conversion-like method would also avoid having to clutter up the skill tree with "+10% sword damage. Also +10% sword ailment damage because those are independent now".

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Qwertycoatl posted:

Yeah, if they just make ailment damage work the same as conversion, it'd make far more sense. Right now if you ignite from a converted phys hit I have no idea what actually is the "base" damage (like, does it include +phys and +%phys on the weapon? How about +phys on your ring?). A conversion-like method would also avoid having to clutter up the skill tree with "+10% sword damage. Also +10% sword ailment damage because those are independent now".

Based on how PoB deals with it, everything works via fire damage conversion so long as it doesn't have to do with melee or projectile. Unfortunately a lot of physical passives and support gems are melee or projectile. The tree got a makeover with a bunch of "also ailments" added onto most physical nodes but melee and projectile support gems were not given as much flexibility. Interestingly, the passives on the tree that boost ailments do it in a fairly unintuitive manner too. They're too inclusive-- flat fire damage added to your attacks would do more ignite damage by getting the physical damage nodes that boost ailments.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
I just realised that some of the MTX my characters wear could actually be 'worth' more than I paid for the real clothes I am currently wearing, minus pants of course.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
I play naked so that's always true :smug:

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Ghost Dog posted:

can i get an invite to the guild? account name m_ivko character named mivko

done

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Zephro posted:

I play naked so that's always true :smug:

The Templar is a shining example of how we all should live :patriot:

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Ciaphas posted:

The Templar is a shining example of how we all should live :patriot:

Didn't GGG announce at one point they were planning to do something about the pantslessness? I know I'm living in fear.

Many MMOs have a checkbox you can use to toggle displaying headgear, so players can see their meticulously designed face and hairdo.
We should get a checkbox for toggling pants. Only pants, though. Only insane people wouldn't wear a helmet in Wraeclast.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Yeah GGG has confirmed that Templar will get pants when his model is reworked.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I've been loving around with PvP (because I want to level Leo to craft another character's items), and holy moly are tornado shot mines completely broken. Mines are good for letting you bank your dps and upfront it as soon as they get in range,

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Scratch that. SRS murders me. That's certainly a way to bank up DPS, except they charge straight at you immediately.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Yeah GGG has confirmed that Templar will get pants when his model is reworked.

Have they confirmed a normal sized head for a future duelist? Dude has gigantism, but it only affects his head. The character select screen is the most jarring example of this.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Ratios and Tendency posted:

I'm an idiot poverty scrub playing ziggyd's scorching ray/righteous fire build and I'm level 90 doing red maps and poo poo, it seems p.good. :shrug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-r749EjIgzQ

Yeah this vid is what got me interested in scorching ray. I guess i wanted a confirmation that it is good!

notwithyourheart
Dec 27, 2013

the duelist's giant head is symbolism representing the ego he's developed from being a famous gladiator

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

the threshold jewel one? its not a bug it got put in a patch note last year

:negative:

Goddamnit, it'd better be on their todo list though, 'cause it's really clearly the result of the system not allowing tags to be dynamic and the coder responsible for thresholds deciding there were more important things to spend their time on.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
If they put pants on the Templar I'm gonna make my own Path of Exile, with blackjack. And hookers. But not pants.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

Moddington posted:

:negative:

Goddamnit, it'd better be on their todo list though, 'cause it's really clearly the result of the system not allowing tags to be dynamic and the coder responsible for thresholds deciding there were more important things to spend their time on.

One of the main devs actually responded to this. Turns out the tags that are shown to the player are actually a tiny fraction of the tags a skill actually has, and his response was basically "sucks to be you"

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.

Lechtansi posted:

One of the main devs actually responded to this. Turns out the tags that are shown to the player are actually a tiny fraction of the tags a skill actually has, and his response was basically "sucks to be you"

To be fair, it's probably safe to assume that most of those tags are "cannot be supported by X" which is usually mentioned on those support gems. And at least once you know about the threshold jewel thing, it's decently easy to guess which supports will work based on them (or just experiment with level 1 gems since they're dirt-cheap).

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

for some reason i cant ctrl-v in path of building anymore. works everywhere else on my computer.

anyway i found an almost perfect ngamahus last night and was thinking of doing a raider with it (did a slayer one in breach) but realized i am most likely never buying a xophs and getting up to avatar of fire from the ranger start is a bitch so i started to think scion. found this cool looking guide for champion/raider https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1960309

but then i also found this sick looking scion bf build https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1931981 and i am torn because my wander is already amazing for mapping and i really want a build to just delete bosses with. meatballing is super fun though. tough choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Awesome! posted:

for some reason i cant ctrl-v in path of building anymore. works everywhere else on my computer.

anyway i found an almost perfect ngamahus last night and was thinking of doing a raider with it (did a slayer one in breach) but realized i am most likely never buying a xophs and getting up to avatar of fire from the ranger start is a bitch so i started to think scion. found this cool looking guide for champion/raider https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1960309

but then i also found this sick looking scion bf build https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1931981 and i am torn because my wander is already amazing for mapping and i really want a build to just delete bosses with. meatballing is super fun though. tough choice.

I did that bf build, great single Target dps but glad getting enough health to not get one shot by random poo poo if you go nuts.