Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Play squads with drunk friends and run screaming into smoke filled shacks with naught but a machete and your gumption

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoylentCola
Mar 21, 2001

Ultra Carp
Say what you want about Kotaku, this is genuinly funny

https://youtu.be/RjaPUmJCFSE

"Playerunknown's Battlegrounds is tetris, where all the pieces are psychological."

SoylentCola fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Sep 23, 2017

Sir Spaniard
Nov 9, 2009

Just had the scariest kill of a game so far. Playing duos, and we both crept into a house that had decent loot in it still, and no open doors. I went into the top level of the house (the type with the two rooms down a hallway).

Walked past the closed rightside door, while saying 'seems clear' and then saw a prone guy aiming directly at the ruined door from his room.

Somehow I managed to one shot him with a terrified flick shot, right after he fired a burst at me and somehow totally missed.

Queue instant post-dread sweat.

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
"I was born stupid, I will not die hungry"

I got a dinner with the vector and Mini-14!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCoD9yZ8Y5I

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

VulgarandStupid posted:

If you start by playing squads with garbage goons, you are only going to learn garbage goon tactics. My advice is to start solo for a while. Learn how to work the inventory and create some basic strategy, then start squadding.

Sixto Lezcano posted:

Play squads with drunk friends and run screaming into smoke filled shacks with naught but a machete and your gumption

Both of these things are true. Me and my friends often stream our games to Facebook and Twitter-friends, and getting drunk, marking up dumb rules and failing spectacularly is wonderful. At the same time, learning the basics on your own or with some guidance means everything just runs much more smoothly, and when we actually get a good game going, we have a genuine chance to win maybe kill someone.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Close your goddamn doors. I just had a round where I killed the only other person who dropped into Gatka, was clearing houses, and noticed that one of the yellow houses had the opposite door open already. I realized the person I already killed couldn't have opened it, crept around a corner, and with my S686 dropped a guy with a level 3 backpack full of gear. If he had closed the door, I probably wouldn't have even noticed him.

Also Mini 14 still real good. Me still real bad, but Mini 14 almost enough to make up for it.

E: Kotaku video is like less obscene video games Regular Car Reviews.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Sep 23, 2017

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
it's okay to play with the "garbage" goons because you get to experience first hand why some tactics are just bad, and also most of them aren't gonna roast you for being new to the game.

IceOrb
Sep 10, 2006

AGENT NAHMAN JAYDEN, FBI.
Speaking of garbage tactics.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/176848980

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

1) I'm v. happy to have gotten in this fight
2) Anyone know what the heck the second guy was doing to prone jump?
https://clips.twitch.tv/CloudyTalentedSoymilkCharlieBitMe

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Adding another win screen nobody cares about, but been doing this a week and a half and it feels nice to feel like I'm making some small progress.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Close your goddamn doors. I just had a round where I killed the only other person who dropped into Gatka, was clearing houses, and noticed that one of the yellow houses had the opposite door open already. I realized the person I already killed couldn't have opened it, crept around a corner, and with my S686 dropped a guy with a level 3 backpack full of gear. If he had closed the door, I probably wouldn't have even noticed him.

Also Mini 14 still real good. Me still real bad, but Mini 14 almost enough to make up for it.

E: Kotaku video is like less obscene video games Regular Car Reviews.

Leave doors open to make an inviting trap :getin:

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Tonetta posted:

it's okay to play with the "garbage" goons because you get to experience first hand why some tactics are just bad, and also most of them aren't gonna roast you for being new to the game.

Waiting for an invite to pochinki defense force is peak pubg tho

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
Just join squads. If somebody gets hissy then oh well, take their critique and move on. Learn from mistakes, get outside your comfort zone. Best advice I got was playing with goons better than I. Took a bit but felt good climbing out of the !shame board and being a solidly mediocre player.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

That was a long god damned video just to hit a guy with a car.

revolther
May 27, 2008

ILL Machina posted:

I thought this was pretty impressive. Lots of live-action pubg videos goin out, but this one was well produced:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dG6HliC9OI
Christ this is like the legitimate marketing for Destiny 1 and that poo poo was cringeworthy as hell.

I eagerly await my cities parks filled with airsoft toting man-children larping pubg.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

revolther posted:

Christ this is like the legitimate marketing for Destiny 1 and that poo poo was cringeworthy as hell.

I eagerly await my cities parks filled with airsoft toting man-children larping pubg.

Isn't larping pubg just playing paintball or airsoft? Or even last man standing dodgeball?

revolther
May 27, 2008
Larping pubg is just like when those people larp war, but with people wearing dusters and exchanging gamertags.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
All these solo win pictures just remind me how shafted you get points-wise in squad games, a win with 20+ kills between the whole squad gets you less than half of Flea Bargain's score.

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
Anyone get any results with this? https://www.reddit.com/r/PUBATTLEGROUNDS/comments/71gzpi/greatly_improve_fps_new_method/

quote:

I've found a reasonably big fps booster, at least for myself. So I want to share it at least, even you dont have issues atm, I'd suggest at least to give a try.

Head to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\PUBG\TslGame\Binaries\Win64

Right click to properties on "TslGame"

Navigate to Compatibility -> check the "override high DPI scaling behavior" box, and hit "OK". (Application from drop-down menu)

Restart your game if necassery.

And now you should have greatly higher FPS, without making graphics look any worse AT ALL! - This also works with other games if you are having performance issues and know your hardware should run it better than that.
For me, I had 30-40 FPS at starter island before game starting, and game responsiveness was mehh, but now it is around 50-55 with vsync on, even after I upped a bit some settings! In game running perfectly with 60FPS.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
What the gently caress is it with BattlEye? It took me four attempts to start the game, because it decided to block different files from loading each attempt.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Combat Pretzel posted:

What the gently caress is it with BattlEye? It took me four attempts to start the game, because it decided to block different files from loading each attempt.

Stop hacking then.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Yea, that'd be nice, if it weren't all the game's own DLLs it got its panties in a twist about.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

I definitely did. Went from 70 to over a hundred.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

I didn't do detailed testing but it seemed to get me 10-20 FPS.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
Yeah it's pretty neat

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Never had any problems with battleye in any game. Maybe its your antivirus or something?

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Re: FPS - That DPI Scaling trick also works with other games, though typically to a lesser extent. If you're having low FPS on other games try doing the same.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Nothing uber-impressive but shotguns really are good at the start of the game

https://gfycat.com/gifs/detail/BoringAlarmingAsianwaterbuffalo

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

This GIF reminds me to widen the FOV. Only started playing again and in FPP today.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2mA72JiiWI

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
drat, well played. I can just hear your first two victims' tilt about early-game desync.

e: to keep the clips going, this isn't nearly as impressive but I keep having the weirdest endings to my games: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/176804814. (1:05 to 2:00 or so is some dead air, I couldn't speed it up on twitch itself so just skip ahead)

Lex Neville fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Sep 23, 2017

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
I love getting stuck with just a few bullets left in the first few minutes. 2 shots left? Where'd that other duo go :clint:

Do The Evolution
Aug 5, 2013

but why
I learn everything the hard way in this game. I got 0 kills for 30 minutes then killed 5 people in the final 3 circles while proning through the grass, only to die while shooting the very last guy because I didn't realize the circle had locked me out. Gotta pay more attention to that. Then again I could also just get good at shooting so I don't suck and die when given the opportunity to kill someone.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

revolther posted:

It's dumb as poo poo but the corridor guys are cool and funny so I can't help but like it.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

lovely Wizard posted:

I mean its almost definitely all 100% legal and poo poo, but hoo boy this is a dick move. Using all the specific engine improvements and tailor made tweaks requested or commissioned or whatever by bluehole to make "kid friendly PUBG that is launching on both XBONE and PS4 next week" before PUBG even hits just Xbone is cold.

If you mean stuff for big open world games with lots of activity allover the map, this is the kind of thing they've been doing since the start of UE4 that has meant games like ARK(Rust/7daystodie with dinosaurs) can be made. It is a dick move to try to shoehorn in an incredibly popular game to try to salvage theirs though.

The Wonder Weapon posted:

I assume PubG will be successfully replaced within two to three years by a competitor. H1Z1 and DayZ were basically prototypes, and PubG is the first whack at a commercial release. Somebody else (probably not Fortnite) is going to copy the equation while dramatically upping the production quality and money involved, add in a couple good ideas that PubG inevitably will refuse to, and end up becoming the king of Battleground titles for awhile.

Certainly won't be the first time it's happened. Dota was the the PubG of it's day, and was popular for while, but now Dota2's maximum concurrent player record is something like 1.2m? and LoL's is 13 or 14m?

LoL's success was mostly down to being the first free standalone dotaclone rather than it doing anything to improve the game and then being the most popular was pretty much self-sustaining(they also had those great adverts for the game everywhere, "NO MORE DisconnectionsObvious hackersTotally imba matchesAnnoying leavers), pretty much all the stuff about it that was different was to the detriment of the actual competitiveness of the game, whether it was churning out overpowered characters and then nerfing them after a couple of weeks(after people had paid money for them) or casual friendly stuff like removing gold loss which meant that games were decided by which team had a gold lead at 15 minutes 90% of the time.

PUBG isn't going to get dethroned any time soon, and because it has some of the same sort of insane replayability as things like CS/DotA/LoL I can see it lasting just as long as them before anything close to a replacement shows up.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

wolrah posted:

I didn't do detailed testing but it seemed to get me 10-20 FPS.

that seems to have helped a lot. and has helped my kills per round. Go figure.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I haven't done a side by side test yet, but I'm not noticing a big difference. And that's after having set my card to max performance power options in the Nvidia control panel.

Post your specs if it worked for you, I would guess it depends on your bottleneck.

i3-4130
GTX970 OC
8GB DDR3.

Do The Evolution
Aug 5, 2013

but why
I've reached the pinnacle of my solo gameplay style. The only items I had were a SCAR, 60 rounds for it, and a 1911.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Do The Evolution posted:

I've reached the pinnacle of my solo gameplay style. The only items I had were a SCAR, 60 rounds for it, and a 1911.

A good man to kill too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Why is there a report button for people you kill?

• Locked thread