Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Wamdoodle posted:

What the heck, I didn't know Sailor Moon posted here!?

Excuse me. :colbert:

https://twitter.com/sacaitlin/status/856262538597732352

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Not enough Sailor Jupiter imo.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
I need Jupiter, Neptune, Saturn and Mercury. :sigh: They're just the ones I can never seem to find a deal on, haha. I'm really cheap about buying my spendy nerd poo poo so I tend to pick these up on deep discount/secondhand. Jupiter is one of the ones that never seems to drop in price, along with Saturn (most expensive) and Neptune.

UnhandledException
Jun 27, 2016

Not enough memories.
Are there any modern NES power supply replacements worth buying or is it best to just find the original?

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

UnhandledException posted:

Are there any modern NES power supply replacements worth buying or is it best to just find the original?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01DTI9CJ4/

or you could use a brick from a Model 1 Sega Genesis.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Bought this recently and it works great!

UnhandledException
Jun 27, 2016

Not enough memories.

Never heard of this brand, they look very high quality. Thanks!

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
I recently picked up Timesplitters 2 for my PS2... holy poo poo is it great. Was surprised how smooth the graphics look still, the art style helps. Definitely took inspiration from the Rare N64 FPS's (the first level is a dam level and its music reminds me of the music for the Surface level in Goldeneye). For the longest time, I though Timesplitters were light gun games, so I never paid attention, haha. Not sure why. I guess I assume it was a spinoff of Time Crisis for no reason at all.

hexwren posted:

While we're talking about gutted GBAs, I have the opposite problem, and was wondering if anyone had a good solution.

I have a GBA-SP, which I had, charging, on a table. And then, of course, like a doofus, I got my foot caught in the cord and pulled the thing right off the table, where it hit the floor directly on the hinge, which promptly went "nah" and shattered. However, while the case is hosed, the hardware is perfectly fine. What is the availability of cases with bad innards/replaceability of said innards?

Tons of replacements on eBay. Also check out some of the modding sites, they sell cases and screen lenses, etc.

If your actual hinge is hosed, make sure whatever kit you have includes a new hinge set as most expect you to recycle the hinges and just give you a new casing and buttons.

The $12-15 sets are good enough quality, I turned a really beat up pink SP-101 into a pristine black one (though I wish I went more exotic).

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Sep 22, 2017

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

FireMrshlBill posted:

Definitely took inspiration from the Rare N64 FPS's (the first level is a dam level and its music reminds me of the music for the Surface level in Goldeneye).
That's because it pretty much is a Rare FPS, made largely by the same team. A bunch of those guys left Rare during the development of Perfect Dark and formed Free Radical.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Harlock posted:

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Doc Morbid posted:

That's because it pretty much is a Rare FPS, made largely by the same team. A bunch of those guys left Rare during the development of Perfect Dark and formed Free Radical.

Makes total sense, will have to look in their story now. See what has happened in the last 15+ years.

edit: ah, they did Haze, and then became Crytek UK and did Crysis 2 and 3, and then became another company and did Homefront: The Revolution, and nothing since

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Sep 22, 2017

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

FireMrshlBill posted:

I recently picked up Timesplitters 2 for my PS2... holy poo poo is it great. Was surprised how smooth the graphics look still, the art style helps. Definitely took inspiration from the Rare N64 FPS's (the first level is a dam level and its music reminds me of the music for the Surface level in Goldeneye). For the longest time, I though Timesplitters were light gun games, so I never paid attention, haha. Not sure why. I guess I assume it was a spinoff of Time Crisis for no reason at all.

Play Future Perfect next, it was a great followup.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

azurite posted:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01DTI9CJ4/

or you could use a brick from a Model 1 Sega Genesis.

Just don't do this the other way around since the NES adapter outputs AC.

How did they make the console accept either AC or DC anyhow?

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Thanks, will put it on the Wanted list

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

falz posted:

Just don't do this the other way around since the NES adapter outputs AC.

How did they make the console accept either AC or DC anyhow?

Inside the NES it takes AC, rectifies it to DC, conditions it to a constant voltage, and then regulates it to the voltage the internals use. If you feed it DC it just passes through everything until it gets dropped to 5V or whatever at the last step of the PSU's process.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Pokemon OH SNAP! posted:

Inside the NES it takes AC, rectifies it to DC, conditions it to a constant voltage, and then regulates it to the voltage the internals use. If you feed it DC it just passes through everything until it gets dropped to 5V or whatever at the last step of the PSU's process.

So wait, what accessories do I need if I want to power my retro consoles with that adapter from Amazon? My NES has some cheapo supply and my Genesis has the original supply. Assume I add in a SNES, what would I need for a supply for all three?

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Three adapters or maybe the Genesis duo/trio adapter could power the Genesis and NES.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I hope something actually comes of TimeSplitters Rewind, but..fan projects.

Also

Harlock posted:

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Harlock posted:

This is always true though.

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

So wait, what accessories do I need if I want to power my retro consoles with that adapter from Amazon? My NES has some cheapo supply and my Genesis has the original supply. Assume I add in a SNES, what would I need for a supply for all three?

If you have a Model 1 Genesis you should be able to run it and the NES off the same supply. The US SNES has a really weird power jack, with an adapter you could run it off a M1 Genesis power supply but I couldn't tell you where to find that.

I saw something once that was a set of 3 barrel jack to barrel jack adapters some guy found that could power just about anything but I can't seem to find it again.

Edit: Found an adapter, can't vouch for the store https://console5.com/store/super-nintendo-snes-power-supply-adapter-plug-cable.html

Pokemon OH SNAP! fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Sep 23, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I'd say Future Perfect is the best one, personally. If only for Monkey Curling :allears:.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Pokemon OH SNAP! posted:

If you have a Model 1 Genesis you should be able to run it and the NES off the same supply. The US SNES has a really weird power jack, with an adapter you could run it off a M1 Genesis power supply but I couldn't tell you where to find that.

I saw something once that was a set of 3 barrel jack to barrel jack adapters some guy found that could power just about anything but I can't seem to find it again.

Edit: Found an adapter, can't vouch for the store https://console5.com/store/super-nintendo-snes-power-supply-adapter-plug-cable.html

You can get a switchable power supply from radio shack with interchangeable tips. They sell a tip that fits the SNES. Good luck finding a radio shack though.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Console5 is pretty reputable, and yes the SNES will work fine with that adapter.

Most retro consoles with external PSU's all use the same one as the Genesis basically too, so you can use it on your TG16/PCE and whatever else you have laying around too.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

owns a lot

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
You know what the best part of being a retro hoarder is?

I was cleaning my garage tonight, popped open a tote I haven't opened in I don't know how long... and it was full of controllers and cables I forgot I had. A couple of DC controllers [jesus christ how much DC hardware do I own], N64 pads, a number of those multi system composite / svideo / component cables, some random C64 cables, just a bunch of random stuff. I forgot I had any of this!

Also, my skills at Tetris are paying off with this garage cleaning. Boxes expertly arranged, oddly shaped items nestled perfectly with other oddly shaped items.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Code Jockey posted:

a number of those multi system composite / svideo / component cables

I am slightly frightened by the prospect of how many of these I am going to find when I finally get around to organizing all my retro game stuff.

And I really do need to get around to that. I've misplaced my original Xbox, for gently caress's sake.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Sep 23, 2017

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Code Jockey posted:

Also, my skills at Tetris are paying off with this garage cleaning. Boxes expertly arranged, oddly shaped items nestled perfectly with other oddly shaped items.

Just so long as you remember to leave a little gap once in a while so the lines don't vanish.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Prism posted:

Just so long as you remember to leave a little gap once in a while so the lines don't vanish.

I think that's how he lost the bag of cables and controllers in the first place :v:.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

As a heads up for retro game deals, the Disney Afternoon Collection is currently $8 on PSN. That's over a 99% discount compared to buying the Duck Takes 2 and Chip and Dale 2 cartridges.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Elliotw2 posted:

If it makes you feel better it's not a backlit model and they probably sourced them in 2009 when it would have been cheap and easy to get a GBA SP.

Not to be a know it all but I think powdered blue GBA SPs were all backlit

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Not to be a know it all but I think powdered blue GBA SPs were all backlit

I think it's silver, but also the screen is the pale reflective color that non-backlit LCD's tend to be.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
ah my mistake. it looked powder blue to me.

I wonder if displays the gameboy startup screen?

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Rollersnake posted:

And I really do need to get around to that. I've misplaced my original Xbox, for gently caress's sake.

That isn't a second car in your driveway.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Sailor Moon chat is great, it reminded me to search etsy for Sailor Moon stuff. Someone's birthday is coming up and they like Sailor Moon.

I mention this because one of the first results is this custom Game Boy Advance with amazing A / B button placement: https://www.etsy.com/listing/523560006/sailor-moon-gba-nintendo-gameboy-advance
This Game Boy Micro faceplate is pretty great, too: https://www.etsy.com/listing/550181711/sailor-moon-nintendo-game-boy-micro

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Oh my god

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Chainclaw posted:

Sailor Moon chat is great, it reminded me to search etsy for Sailor Moon stuff. Someone's birthday is coming up and they like Sailor Moon.

I mention this because one of the first results is this custom Game Boy Advance with amazing A / B button placement: https://www.etsy.com/listing/523560006/sailor-moon-gba-nintendo-gameboy-advance
This Game Boy Micro faceplate is pretty great, too: https://www.etsy.com/listing/550181711/sailor-moon-nintendo-game-boy-micro

:laffo:

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Chainclaw posted:

thank you for this i snort-laughed

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Just got my new Vectrex Multicart 3.0 from http://www.vectrexmulti.com and

Yeah that's the good poo poo.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Caitlin posted:

thank you for this i snort-laughed

Same. Everybody, click.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

azurite posted:

That isn't a second car in your driveway.

Lol

• Locked thread