Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Spellman posted:

Metroid, the ultimate Metroidvania

Actually that's Castlevania

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Infinitum posted:

Actually that's Castlevania

Castlevania isn't a Metroidvania though.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Then why is it a Vania?

Check mate gamethiests

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
I think you guys might need a gamexplain video to settle the issue

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

SMT Switch news oct 26

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
I love Metroidvanias and Castletroids equally.

Junkie Disease posted:

SMT Switch news oct 26

Tokyo Weeb Sessions #FE 2 obviously.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

njsykora posted:

Castlevania isn't a Metroidvania though.

Not even Simon's Quest?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Mister Facetious posted:

Not even Simon's Quest?

I don't hate myself enough to have played Simon's Quest.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Tired: Metroidvanias
Wired: Megavanias

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

njsykora posted:

I don't hate myself enough to have played Simon's Quest.

It's the Dark Souls of Castlevania; utterly obtuse and zero direction.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Rexroom posted:

It probably still won't have slopes though.

I don't care about slopes. Literally all I want is the ability to make proper auto scrollers where Mario is slightly over to the right instead of completely pushed against the left edge, and also set in place so you can't move forward so I can make proper mine cart stages. I could do the rocket barrel easy enough with water but trying to do regular mine cart stages in other level types just resulted in people running forward and trying to platform that way instead of only using the jump button

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Meldonox posted:

I love Metroidvanias and Castletroids equally.

Tokyo Weeb Sessions #FE 2 obviously.

I hope they just port TMS #FE to the Switch so more people get to play it. There's really nothing gamepad-necessary about it either, the Topic (in-game chat messaging) stuff can easily be bumped to a menu along with enemy descriptions.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

A lot of things need to be ported from the WiiU to the Switch

Like Smash Bros combining all the 3DS + WiiU stages + all the DLC in a Deluxe package ala Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

I was super surprised it wasn't announced during the latest Direct for a Christmas Day release.

Bastards

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ap_8BpfICZw

If the Switch can run DOOM it can run FighterZ

Announce the port already curse you :argh:

And Okami HD :argh::argh:

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Puyo Puyo Tetris is 20% off in the UK eShop so I finally bought it, mostly because I've got a 4-hour coach ride tomorrow and wanted a new game to pass the time.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I don't want a smash 4 dx because in my head that means we probably won't see a Smash 5.

As much as I like MK8 I kind of have the same feeling that we won't get another totally new one on the system.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I don't want a smash 4 dx because in my head that means we probably won't see a Smash 5.

Yes, good. I don't want a Smash 5. I don't want them to build an entire new game from scratch, again. Smash 4 plays perfectly fine, there's no reason to change things up again. Just bring over everything, don't make any major changes to the engine or whatever, and focus 100% of the dev time to new characters and stages.

Just say NO to Smash 5

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I'd rather they save MK9 and a Smash 5 for whatever is after Switch. I want more DLC for MK8D in the meantime.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Christ, why? You don't want a new MK or Smash for 3+ years? You're insane!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

If the Switch can dodge a wrench it can dodge a ball

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Macaluso posted:

Yes, good. I don't want a Smash 5. I don't want them to build an entire new game from scratch, again. Smash 4 plays perfectly fine, there's no reason to change things up again. Just bring over everything, don't make any major changes to the engine or whatever, and focus 100% of the dev time to new characters and stages.

Just say NO to Smash 5

Yeah. Just put all the existing content on one cartridge, and add Twintelle, Helix, Pearl, Marina, and five more identical Fire Emblem characters

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Smash DX + additional DLC level & character packs would be AOK with me

More Mario Kart DLC Couse packs as well

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Alan_Shore posted:

Neither do I and I love those series. They just need new content, and in Smash's case, to be on the Switch

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Macaluso posted:

Just say NO to Smash 5

Counterpoint I want a smash 5 that way Sakurai is forced to address Dedede and make him not bad.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Port the subspace emissary to switch instead

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Counterpoint I want a smash 5 that way Sakurai is forced to address Dedede and make him not bad.

They already buffed Dedede though.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Alan_Shore posted:

Because it seems wasteful to me, especially for Smash. It's not like there could be a noticeable jump technically so I don't see the advantage of starting over now and redoing that insane roster/course selection. I think it would be cool if they treated both like a platform and released a course pack/character every year or so to keep things fresh.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Counterpoint: Dedede is good l2p noob

SeANMcBAY posted:

Because it seems wasteful to me, especially for Smash. It's not like there could be a noticeable jump technically so I don't see the advantage of starting over now and redoing that insane roster/course selection. I think it would be cool if they treated both like a platform and released a course pack/character every year or so to keep things fresh.

Yes, this. there's no reason to start from scratch with this game. Just release new characters and stages and you're good

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I don't really want a new Smash mostly because the last Smash nearly killed Sakurai :ohdear:

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Dr Cheeto posted:

I don't really want a new Smash mostly because the last Smash nearly killed Sakurai :ohdear:

Err you know they replace him with a new Sakurai every three years after the current one expires, right?

Think Taco Bell Chihuahua

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

KingSlime posted:

Err you know they replace him with a new Sakurai every three years after the current one expires, right?

Think Taco Bell Chihuahua

No, Sakurai is "That Man" from Guilty Gear. He gets younger the more time goes on.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Frankston posted:

Puyo Puyo Tetris is 20% off in the UK eShop so I finally bought it, mostly because I've got a 4-hour coach ride tomorrow and wanted a new game to pass the time.

I read this post and I was like, I could play some PPT right now. Fantastic game

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Frankston posted:

Seems to be Europe as a whole. 20% off in France too. Which makes it 32 euro... I mean 25 or 20 yes. I'm still a bit torn. Wasn't it 40% off or something in the States recently?

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

I don't want a new Smash because a Smash 4 DX is the best possible Smash they could have on the Switch, and also because I want Sakurai to put his energy into a new Kid Icarus instead

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Someone other than Sakurai should make the next one

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Katsuhiro Harada presents Super Smash Bros, overnight improvement.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
If I loved Smash 1-3, is it safe to assume I'll like 4 if it gets ported? Never tried it.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Yeah it's real good.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Rolo posted:

If I loved Smash 1-3, is it safe to assume I'll like 4 if it gets ported? Never tried it.

It's somewhere in between Melee and Brawl, not quite as floaty as Brawl, but more defense oriented than Melee.

The main thing is that 4 has Cloud and Bayonetta and Bowser Jr so why would anyone ever want to play any of the others IMO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Then I'm ready for online portable Smash. I have to spend a lot of time in hotels next year and this would own.

• Locked thread