Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Agree the techs seem pretty decent, the fuckery comes from upstairs.

When the telus guy came to run the Fibre inside my house, dude was wicked awesome. The fibre popped out of the ground direct opposite of where it needed to end up, but he did an incredibly tidy job of running the wire, asked my opinion on virtually everything. Dude could have had a job on Mike Holmes show for running wire. Turned into something like a 4 hour call for him and he gave me his direct cell # to call in case I ever have any issues.

I don't care for Telus much, but I have no problems with their service guys locally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

slidebite posted:

I don't care for Telus much, but I have no problems with their service guys locally.

I had the opposite experience. Their service guys were absolute poo poo until I got it escalated.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

I've had great experiences with Telus techs over the past few years.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
http://www.michaelgeist.ca/2017/09/bell-calls-crtc-backed-website-blocking-system-complete-criminalization-copyright-nafta/

quote:

Bell, Canada’s largest telecom company, has called on the government to support radical copyright and broadcast distribution reforms as part of the NAFTA renegotiation. Their proposals include the creation of a mandated website blocking system without judicial review overseen by the CRTC and the complete criminalization of copyright with criminal provisions attached to all commercial infringement. Bell also supports an overhaul of the current retransmission system for broadcasters, supporting a “consent model” that would either keep U.S. channels out of the Canadian market or dramatically increase their cost of access while maintaining simultaneous substitution.

Guh. :stare:

mewse
May 2, 2006

Jesus Christ

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

I suspect Bell won't be super happy when we negotiate easier access to our market for American telecoms.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

lol

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

Evis posted:

I suspect Bell won't be super happy when we negotiate easier access to our market for American telecoms.

Quick, someone get Mexico and the US to include demands that Canada break up its unfair telecom oligopoly.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

The only country on earth that would run willingly into the arms of Carlos Slim and and/or At&T

:canada:

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

AegisP posted:

Quick, someone get Mexico and the US to include demands that Canada break up its unfair telecom oligopoly.

I heard the US has already made noises about this.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

quote:

Our view on how we solve the piracy problem is it is not sort of coming up with new technological measures, it’s blocking access to piracy. How do you do that?

*Unplugs Canada from Internet*
*Dusts hands*

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

Tagra posted:

*Dusts hands*

All that'd be left to pirate would be Canadian Sesame Street, The Littlest Hobo, Road to Avonlea, and Wind at my Back... :smithicide:

And maybe DIC cartoons.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
This is the same company whose media president said "It has to become socially unacceptable to admit to another human being that you are VPNing into U.S. Netflix". If there was ever an indication that Bell is losing the ISP war and falling back on media this is it.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

8ender posted:

This is the same company whose media president said "It has to become socially unacceptable to admit to another human being that you are VPNing into U.S. Netflix". If there was ever an indication that Bell is losing the ISP war and falling back on media this is it.

Ahahahahaha I had forgotten about that.

What is actually socially unacceptable here is admitting that you pay Bell or Rogers for internet.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Tagra posted:

*Dusts hands*

I'm looking forward to buying smuggled memory cards full of Game of Thrones episodes from illegal peddlers in the subway.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I think we intuitively knew this:

https://twitter.com/mgeist/status/912686703437078528

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

ToxicFrog posted:

Ahahahahaha I had forgotten about that.

What is actually socially unacceptable here is admitting that you pay Bell or Rogers for internet.

*sniff* But they drive a truckload of bandwidth right up to my door! How could I have said no?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I think our telecom situation is worse than our home broadband situation tbh

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

Especially roaming, jfc.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Mister Facetious posted:

Especially roaming, jfc.

Even just the local domestic plans. To compare to a similar country with sparse population as well, I paid about $45 CAD in New Zealand for 500 local minutes, an assload of texts, 5GB data, and here Rogers is charging like triple that for the same. This is to say nothing about what I paid in Europe, jesus christ that was amazing (Netherlands plan). It's infuriating.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I just find it amazing that Europe can get its telcos to create a sane roaming plan across multiple borders, and Canada can't do it across an area with none because lol monopolistic price fixing cartel

I need to check my ISP's website more often. I just realized I could be getting another 15mbps and unlimited data (instead of 400gb) for the same price as my current plan. :doh:

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Sep 26, 2017

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
I still think that the best phone plan for Canada (if you don't need LTE) is a French one with free.fr. 20€(~C$30) gets you 25GB/mo of 3G roaming data in Canada/US/Europe/Aus/NZ/South Africa. It used to be limited to 1month/country/year, but not any more. Also unlimited calls/SMS to over 100 countries.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

spoof posted:

I still think that the best phone plan for Canada (if you don't need LTE) is a French one with free.fr. 20€(~C$30) gets you 25GB/mo of 3G roaming data in Canada/US/Europe/Aus/NZ/South Africa. It used to be limited to 1month/country/year, but not any more. Also unlimited calls/SMS to over 100 countries.

If more international plans started working in Canada we might actually have telecom competition!

They better start suing people before it comes to that.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

CLAM DOWN posted:

Same 3 companies in charge though.

Mister Facetious posted:

I just find it amazing that Europe can get its telcos to create a sane roaming plan across multiple borders, and Canada can't do it across an area with none because lol monopolistic price fixing cartel
Technically oligopolistic :)

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Chris Knight posted:

Same 3 companies in charge though

In a number of areas there are superb alternatives. Cell phones I don't have much choice, due to their loving oligarchy. Broadband I have several choices, from teksavvy on the low end to Novus and half a dozen other fibre companies on the high end. I'm extremely satisfied paying $49/mo for gigabit fibre and no cap.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Is the rest of the world just learning this?

CLAM DOWN posted:

In a number of areas there are superb alternatives. Cell phones I don't have much choice, due to their loving oligarchy. Broadband I have several choices, from teksavvy on the low end to Novus and half a dozen other fibre companies on the high end. I'm extremely satisfied paying $49/mo for gigabit fibre and no cap.

Good lord man, I wish I got that for $49

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Is the rest of the world just learning this?

As a regular listener to the Giant Bomb/Beastcasts, we apparently tell them about it a lot. :v:

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

spoof posted:

Whose network does that work on here?

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

spoof posted:

Jesus, holy poo poo. This sounds ... too good. Really, unlimited calls in Canada for $30/month? And I can just buy it from here? There's gotta be a catch...

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Volguus posted:

Jesus, holy poo poo. This sounds ... too good. Really, unlimited calls in Canada for $30/month? And I can just buy it from here? There's gotta be a catch...

It only works along the few coastal miles of Newfoundland close to St Pierre and Miquelon, but really its worth moving just for the cell service.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
This is a bit OT in the internet thread now, but you need to get the SIM in France. I'll pick one up in 3 weeks on a rolling contract and bring it back. Did it before when the 1month/year restriction was in place, but don't remember who it roamed on, and "free roaming canada" isn't exactly a useful search term.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

spoof posted:

you need to get the SIM in France

Lmao yeah definitely the best choice for Canada. Factor in the cost of a return flight and trip there and then we'll talk savings.

vvvv yeah what the gently caress is the point?

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Sep 28, 2017

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Plus I'm sure all the people who want to call you will appreciate having to pay overseas long distance fees to your French number.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Jan posted:

Plus I'm sure all the people who want to call you will appreciate having to pay overseas long distance fees to your French number.

Nouveau téléphone qui est-ce?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

mewse posted:

Nouveau téléphone qui est-ce?

Nice

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Gives people a reason to text you and not call.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
I suppose I phrased that badly. I'm a data-only user with a SIP account, so the local number doesn't matter at all to me. All calls and texts are from/to my 289 number.

In any case, isn't it a little strange that international carriers (T-Mo US, 3 UK, Free Fr, etc) and a domestic quasi-MVNO (Sugar Mobile, RIP) can offer prices for Canadian data well below what the big 3 charge us for using the same towers?

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Jan posted:

Oh, so you are saying that people will stop calling? Hell, now that's an plus that i didn't even think about. The deal sounds sweeter by the minute. Too bad that you have to pick that thing from France.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
I'm completely ignorant of everything in this country but I'm about to move into a long term accommodation in Montreal (The Plateau) at the end of the month and need to sort out my own internet access.

I'm not used to a situation where some companies can provide service and others can't, and I also don't really know the names of any of the companies either so being able to compare my options is going to be tricky without someone just spoonfeeding me a list of ISP names to look into.

For reference, I'm looking for something high-speed, ideally fibre, or cable I guess (cable was never really a thing back in NZ). Who should I be looking at?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Let me be the first to welcome you back to the 20th century.

If you can get gigabit in the building you live in it's going to be $150/month through Bell or Videotron who are both garbage companies who hate you.

If you can get TekSavvy that's probably the way to go but you'll still be at the mercy of Bell or Videotron to connect it, and again, they're garbage companies who hate you. They'll hate you a little more if you aren't paying them directly, but your money will still be feeding them and you'll still be at the mercy of their on-site techs. Still expect absolutely nothing for $50/month and decent internet for $100/month because prices are still dictated by Bell or Videotron, again, garbage companies who hate you.