Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Can't you go to the UPS site and turn off the signature requirement? They even have an app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Jesus loving christ, are you still raging about this?

Yes, of course I am. Stop defending the indefensible.

UPS left a notice on my door yesterday saying I could sign it and they'd leave it on their next attempt, which was today, and which they didn't do. Apparently the driver who left that notice was wrong. They won't be able to re-attempt until Monday, and I wouldn't be able to have it picked up from a UPS Store until Tuesday, so I just had them return it to Apple and re-ordered it for pickup from the local Apple Store (parking in that neighborhood on a Saturday is going to be a nightmare, it's too bad I couldn't just get it shipped to my home). It's easily the worst retail experience I've ever had, and people should know what they are getting into. And there'd be a lot less to rage over if morons weren't constantly acting like this is a totally normal thing I should've expected. It's not.

Subjunctive posted:

Can't you go to the UPS site and turn off the signature requirement? They even have an app.

Nope. They have a unique arrangement with Apple that renders all of that moot.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

With all of the new Apple products I didn't pick this thread to have the best posts.

I'm actually emailing Apple thanking them for requiring signature on delivery as a way to make sure nothing is stolen off of my completely secure porch :angel:

I still do not understand this sports app business. does it just use your mlb/nba/nhl streaming subscription logins?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Inspect Your Gadgets > AppleTV - Signature Edition

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

sellouts posted:

I still do not understand this sports app business. does it just use your mlb/nba/nhl streaming subscription logins?
The MLB one does. I assume the ESPN app needs a cable subscription login.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

sellouts posted:

With all of the new Apple products I didn't pick this thread to have the best posts.

I'm actually emailing Apple thanking them for requiring signature on delivery as a way to make sure nothing is stolen off of my completely secure porch :angel:

You know you can just request this from UPS if you want it, right? It makes no sense for them to force it upon all customers. It's a shameful business practice that does nothing but inconvenience me.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

wicka posted:

You know you can just request this from UPS if you want it, right? It makes no sense for them to force it upon all customers. It's a shameful business practice that does nothing but inconvenience me.

Don't worry, it inconveniences us too since we have to read your ragey posts about it.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

It saves them from being defrauded by plenty of doorstep thieves who know what days Apple products ship to arrive.

Also, in case it wasn't clear, it's specifically about inconveniencing sperglords like yourself.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

wicka posted:

It's a shameful business practice that does nothing but inconvenience me.

Good. You seem like you need it.

Real talk: having extremely expensive packages left on porches on one of the few most identifiable days of the year for delivery of expensive things (after the days surrounding Christmas) would be extremely dumb and Apple is 100% right to assume that you're not an idiot and would prefer that it only be left in the hands of an actual person.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Real talk: you can easily request that service if you want it. You cannot easily remove it when Apple forces it upon you. This is not at all difficult to understand, and hundreds of retailers do just fine without this requirement.

If Apple let me change this through their app or UPS, I'd be fine with it, but taping a printed notice to my door is a ridiculous attempt at a solution to a problem they went out of their way to cause.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Maybe Apple presume there customers aren't so loving stupid to order electronic items to a place when they're not there, because they're such children it absolutely has to be waiting for them after vacation or whatever.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Maybe Apple presume there customers aren't so loving stupid to order electronic items to a place when they're not there, because they're such children it absolutely has to be waiting for them after vacation or whatever.

Are you seriously acting like getting a product shipped and delivered to your door is unusual? Millions of people do this every single day.

wicka fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Sep 23, 2017

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

And you're acting like signing for tracked packages is a whole new concept that hasn't existed for decades.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

And you're acting like signing for tracked packages is a whole new concept that hasn't existed for decades.

Incorrect. I'm saying it's unreasonable to force that requirement on me when I don't want it and it prevents me from getting something I paid for.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Then don't order and don't pay for it until such time as you calm down and print a piece of paper. Apple's shipping policies, and their signature mechanisms, are documented on their site and I suspect readily available from their support agents. Most people don't rupture an organ because they have to park in a busy place, so it's not likely something they're going to need to change in order to preserve their business.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

Then don't order and don't pay for it until such time as you calm down and print a piece of paper. Apple's shipping policies, and their signature mechanisms, are documented on their site and I suspect readily available from their support agents. Most people don't rupture an organ because they have to park in a busy place, so it's not likely something they're going to need to change in order to preserve their business.

You're acting like I'm insane for expecting the normal poo poo literally every other retailer does, what is your problem? If you want all your packages to require a signature, you can do that without Apple forcing that requirement on me as well. This is not difficult to understand in the slightest.

And I've already explained, multiple times, that the store app says nothing about this signature requirement. I had no clue until the day before it was scheduled to arrive.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Jesus christ is this still going.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

priznat posted:

Jesus christ is this still going.

You'd know it'd stop if you folks stop replying, right? It'd have been like two posts if the responses had been "yeah that's dumb," rather than crying and turning the world upside down to defend an indefensible business practice.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

wicka posted:

You'd know it'd stop if you folks stop replying, right? It'd have been like two posts if the responses had been "yeah that's dumb," rather than crying and turning the world upside down to defend an indefensible business practice.

Apple doesn't give a poo poo if you want to sign for it or not. The signature is for Apple, not for you. If you don't like it, don't buy from them online, maybe? They're perfectly happy to not have your online business.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

EngineerJoe posted:

Apple doesn't give a poo poo if you want to sign for it or not. The signature is for Apple, not for you. If you don't like it, don't buy from them online, maybe? They're perfectly happy to not have your online business.

This is exactly my point. It is a business decision that benefits only Apple, not the customer. It helps you in zero ways. No one should be defending them on this, and yet here we are.

wicka fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Sep 23, 2017

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

wicka posted:

This is exactly my point. It is a business decision that benefits only Apple, not the customer. It helps you in zero ways. No one should be defending them on this, and yet here we are.

This is the tiniest hill to die on.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

EngineerJoe posted:

This is the tiniest hill to die on.

Didn't have to be a hill at all, until people acted like Apple were benevolent gods for this requirement.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

wicka posted:

Sorry you can't get anyone to agree with your views, I guess?

Don't punish the rest of us for it.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

priznat posted:

Sorry you can't get anyone to agree with your views, I guess?

Don't punish the rest of us for it.

Agree? There's nothing to disagree with, it literally does not help you at all. Y'all are just spite posting.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

It's absolutely a sensible practice for Apple and a generally very good thing. I understand your frustration but come on.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began
I watched Deadpool last night. It looked nice in 4k HDR.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Kilometers Davis posted:

It's absolutely a sensible practice for Apple and a generally very good thing. I understand your frustration but come on.

I don't know how many more times I can explain this: if you are worried about your packages getting stolen, you are fully capable of requesting that UPS require a signature. Forcing that choice on me only makes it harder to receive a product I paid good money for, at no benefit to me.

And never in a million years am I going to tape a sign that says "APPLE PRODUCT BEING DELIVERED HERE TODAY" to my door, that's insanity.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

But yeah I forgot it's totally free for Apple to replace products that go missing or that they should just eat this cost because they have too much money and can afford it

sellouts fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Sep 23, 2017

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

sellouts posted:

Real talk: I like knowing I will get my product and not have to fight about claims and delays that it fell off the truck or was stolen or whatever.

I know I will get it the day I expect it to because I ship things to my work where it's clearly and easily signed for by someone who is paid to do such things.

But yeah I forgot it's totally free for Apple to replace products that go missing or that they should just eat this cost because they have too much money and can afford it.

You are fully capable of requesting that UPS require a signature without Apple making that choice for you. Hundreds of other retailers do just fine without this requirement.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

That's a weird bug. I tried writing a new post and it edited my previous one. Oops.

Anyways.

But yeah I forgot it's totally free for Apple to replace products that go missing or that they should just eat this cost because they have too much money and can afford it.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

sellouts posted:

That's a weird bug. I tried writing a new post and it edited my previous one. Oops.

Anyways.

awful app; if you hit edit and then cancelled it thinks you're scavenging for quotes for the edit

edit: thus keeping the edit-draft alive, which is returned to when hitting reply

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Guys the richest company in the history of the world that once a year ships out brand new state of the art products to tens of millions of people in every corner of the world worth more than a billion dollars IN A SINGLE DAY has no idea what they're doing.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Ah yes, forgot Amazon is a failing company because all their packages get stolen.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

[quote="“Mahoning”" post="“476687781”"]
Guys the richest company in the history of the world that once a year ships out brand new state of the art products to tens of millions of people in every corner of the world worth more than a billion dollars IN A SINGLE DAY has no idea what they’re doing.
[/quote]

Never said this. They know exactly what they're doing: loving over consumers purely for their own benefit.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

So how bout that apple tv and lack of Atmos? poo poo? Or super poo poo?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

To be fair, going to the Apple Store is usually a surprisingly pleasant experience.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
Setup wifi deployment and installed Provenance on the 4K Apple TV. Works great, but some games do have some weird emulation issues with sound that I didn't have on the regular Apple TV.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Don't worry, it inconveniences us too since we have to read your ragey posts about it.

His posts have passed irritating into downright funny at this point. He just can't let it go. The continued melt-down is hilarious.

I think his encore should be to go out and yell at the sea.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Proteus Jones posted:

His posts have passed irritating into downright funny at this point. He just can't let it go. The continued melt-down is hilarious.

I think his encore should be to go out and yell at the sea.

I can't let it go? You are the ones who keep replying over and over, furious that someone would dare criticize Apple's business practices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

wicka posted:

I can't let it go? You are the ones who keep replying over and over, furious that someone would dare criticize Apple's business practices.

Hahahahaha.

It's like you were constructed in a lab to feed this forum's funny bone.