Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Ofecks posted:

How old are you willing to go? The first Final Fantasy Legend game on Game Boy was designed to be finished in 8 hours (the length of a flight between Tokyo and Honolulu).

Even better, set up BizHawk and play the Wonderswan remake. It has an english patch. I found a prepatched ROM by googling "Makai Toushi SaGa wonderswan english".

I bought this game 20 years ago and never played it past the first couple hours b/c it "wasn't as good as Zelda on the Game Boy." Might dig it out and play it now.

edit: whoops I was thinking of Final Fantasy Adventure for Game Boy.

http://www.gameboyworks.com/1989/12/15/the-final-fantasy-legend-2/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy_Adventure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yar The Pirate
Feb 19, 2012
Is there any type of game that has passive PvP that is still relatively popular? I keep picturing a game where you can actively do stuff with whatever team/party you've assembled and fight other player's teams even when they're offline. The equivalent thing happens to your teams while you're offline and you can check to see how you've done the next time you log in. I seem to remember MGS5 and one of the MLB The Show games having similar systems.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

What's a good casual shooter right now? CS hasn't had that "just for fun" feel in 15 years. Tried going back to TF2 the last few days but the community is thin and there's no good mix of fun people/crazy maps like the 2fort2furious days. I watched some PUBG streams and it looks stressful and janky (maybe it plays better?). Just wait for Destiny 2 and hope it's not an awkward port?

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Say what you will about the competitive scene, Overwatch's quick play is great for that. You can jump in as some hero you never play and just yell a lot and people will mostly cheer you on. It's my "unwind and mess around" shooter.

Just beware the competitive scene and never read what anyone thinks about Balance.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

Looking for a ~8 hour or shorter game with a nice ending to beat this weekend. I've played Limbo and Inside (and Undertale while we're at it) and not looking for roguelikes nor Point and Click/Telltale games (unless exceptional). Open to pretty much every genre.

If you are into good story-driven shooters (with a heavy dose of comedy), Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon and Call of Juarez: Gunslinger are great, and both can be completed in way less than 8 hours.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

A couple of my favourite games in recent years were Undertale and Night in the Woods. I think they shared a few similar aspects that I liked, particularly:

Funny dialogue
Small cast of well-defined characters
Excellent soundtrack (possibly the most important part)
Underlying melancholy

I'm on PC and I'm open to any suggestions that might fit the bill. I've heard that Life is Strange is popular with the Undertale/NITW crowd but I watched a bit of the newest one and it really didn't appeal, mainly because I thought the dialogue and particularly the voice acting was pretty bad. In fact, not having voice acting might be another thing from those two games that worked for me.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

How do you know this? Why do you know this?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Final_Fantasy_Legend - in the development section (source). I was slightly off, it's Narita to Honolulu and 6-8 hours.

doctorfrog posted:

I bought this game 20 years ago and never played it past the first couple hours b/c it "wasn't as good as Zelda on the Game Boy." Might dig it out and play it now.

edit: whoops I was thinking of Final Fantasy Adventure for Game Boy.

http://www.gameboyworks.com/1989/12/15/the-final-fantasy-legend-2/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy_Adventure

I liked FFA quite a lot when it was current. Zelda + actual RPG elements, good stuff. I think it takes a little longer than 8 hours to beat, but I'm not sure.

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Sep 23, 2017

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Lemon posted:

A couple of my favourite games in recent years were Undertale and Night in the Woods. I think they shared a few similar aspects that I liked, particularly:

Funny dialogue
Underlying melancholy

I'm on PC and I'm open to any suggestions that might fit the bill. I've heard that Life is Strange is popular with the Undertale/NITW crowd but I watched a bit of the newest one and it really didn't appeal, mainly because I thought the dialogue and particularly the voice acting was pretty bad. In fact, not having voice acting might be another thing from those two games that worked for me.

Maybe Oxenfree ? (I don't know I never tried it)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Lemon posted:

Funny dialogue
Underlying melancholy

The first episode of LiS Season One is free on Steam so you might as well give it a shot since it hits all those benchmarks. Something important to keep in mind is that the dialogue is written primarily by French men doing a sendup of American teenage girls, and so while it isn't particularly regionally accurate, it is 100% emotionally honest. Everything about the game owns.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Oxenfree is real good and a better game about supernatural stuff happening to teenagers then Life is Strange.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Oxenfree is.. just okay. But it is only $5 on GOG right now.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Lemon posted:

Funny dialogue
Underlying melancholy

Tales from the Borderlands

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Adventure game recs? Bonus points for point-and-click and cheap.

Semi-recently, I liked The Samaritan Paradox and The Longest Journey

As a kid, I loved Myst and King's Quest V

Stanley Parable probably counts, too, and it owns owns owns

Edit: I should probably add that I'm pc-only and working with an Intel HD 4600

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Sep 23, 2017

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Accretionist posted:

Recently, I liked The Samaritan Paradox and The Longest Journey

Obduction from the creators of Myst is down to $17.99 on GOG.

just bob
Sep 6, 2017

by Reene

Accretionist posted:

The legacy of time series and riven

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Accretionist posted:

Edit: I should probably add that I'm pc-only and working with an Intel HD 4600

If you haven't done The Witness yet, do.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Lemon posted:

Funny dialogue
Underlying melancholy

Fran Bow is a pretty awesome point and click game with a very dark story, would recommend.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Thanks, goons! I'm giving The Witness a go. GOG has it for $16 atm

Trip Report: Owns

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Sep 24, 2017

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Lemon posted:

I've heard that Life is Strange is popular with the Undertale/NITW crowd but I watched a bit of the newest one and it really didn't appeal, mainly because I thought the dialogue and particularly the voice acting was pretty bad. In fact, not having voice acting might be another thing from those two games that worked for me.

The new one is a bit removed from the original in that it has different writers and different voice acting. People who want more of the universe seem to like it but some of the reviews have been a bit mixed otherwise. Don't judge the original by the prequel.
The localization on the original is hella janky at times though. Gotta go nosh.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Tagra posted:

The new one is a bit removed from the original in that it has different writers and different voice acting. People who want more of the universe seem to like it but some of the reviews have been a bit mixed otherwise. Don't judge the original by the prequel.
The localization on the original is hella janky at times though. Gotta go nosh.

On the other hand Max is single-handedly responsible for reintroducing "Wowsers!" into my lexicon so I mean, it's not all bad

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

are you cereal

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I just unlocked a secret video in The Witness and I feel like this game was produced in conjunction with the Rand Corporation and Dharma Initiative

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Buckle up. :)

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Jesus didn't you just get that game last night?

I guess that was a good rec then

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
In case we're talking about different videos, it's one of the ones in the theater

But yeah, this is great. Last track of time and put 4 hours in last night. Got about an hour in this morning.

(This environment has me daydreaming about beachfront property, btw)

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I'm looking for some really big and cool spaceships. In a world where Star Citizen will never actually exist, is my best bet just to have another go at making it more than a couple of weeks into EVE? Any suggestions for other games that do spaceships well?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Deformed Church posted:

I'm looking for some really big and cool spaceships. In a world where Star Citizen will never actually exist, is my best bet just to have another go at making it more than a couple of weeks into EVE? Any suggestions for other games that do spaceships well?

Have you've played Freespace / Freespace 2?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Deformed Church posted:

The X series, specifically X3.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Turns out I've got Freespace 2 sitting in my steam inventory :v: so I'll give that a try. I've played X3 and it was pretty cool but I never really found a point where things happened. Maybe it was just an interface thing and I wasn't squeezing everything I could, but there was never much payoff for all the time spent on menus or in transit. Didn't quite deliver the spectacle I'd hoped for.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Deformed Church posted:

EVE is only worth it if you're playing with a large group of people that you like. If the social aspect of the game doesn't do it for you, there's no reason to play it.

It does have really big and cool spaceships but it's a long road to getting there and you need a certain critical mass of people before deploying capital ships is anything but suicidal. (There are exceptions but, again, it's something you have to get really deep into the game to see.)

5thMouseButton
Jun 6, 2010
Cuphead is coming out soon, wanting to play something similar before it gets here. Here's the Steam blurb:

quote:

Cuphead is a classic run and gun action game heavily focused on boss battles. Inspired by cartoons of the 1930s, the visuals and audio are painstakingly created with the same techniques of the era, i.e. traditional hand drawn cel animation, watercolor backgrounds, and original jazz recordings.

Play as Cuphead or Mugman (in single player or local co-op) as you traverse strange worlds, acquire new weapons, learn powerful super moves, and discover hidden secrets while you try to pay your debt back to the devil!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

5thMouseButton posted:

Cuphead is coming out soon, wanting to play something similar before it gets here. Here's the Steam blurb:

Copy Kitty is like the opposite in aesthetics, but the gameplay is deep, fun, and run-and-gun. You can copy abilities from enemies, and there's a ton of content in it.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

5thMouseButton posted:

Play Contra and Metal Slug, because that seems to be what it's apeing.

Mugticket
Sep 13, 2011

My friend is looking for a game and he said that he likes 90's turn-based strategy, but would like for something with more modern sensibilities. Like you wouldn't have to read a thick manual before you can play the game at all. His favorites are Civilization II, Master of Orion II, Combat Mission 1-3 etc.

Right now he is looking for something a bit more "ambitious" . One game that he has been interested in is Strategic Command Global Conflict, but he is not sure about buying it because the people at Battlefront are "a collection of dicks" that ask for a full price on a ten year old game and that you have to pay a lot for all the expansions and stuff. So I'm guessing that no dlc would be a plus.

So in summary something that has the nineties strategy spirit and difficulty, but with more user friendliness.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Take that to the grog thread, but my recommendations are Commander the Great War and Panzer Corps when discounted, maybe the Decisive Campaigns series, most notably Barbarossa.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Hearts of Iron 4 is shockingly easy to get into for a Paradox game, it isn't turn based but has shades of it.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Oh and for the great modern MoO 2, you want GalCiv 3. For an evolution on MoO 2 you have the direct successor, MoO (the new one), the indirect and superior IMHO turn based Endless Space 2 and the real-time ish Stellaris which also features brilliant mods for whatever sci-fi universe you can think of.

For Civ, you've got Endless Legend which is also superb.

I forgot to mention Ultimate General Civil War, which while not being turn based it is the closest thing out there to 90s classic Civil War Generals 2.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
It kind of fails on the "user-friendliness" front, but if you want "ambitious", Dominions 4 fits the bill. It's actually not really that hard to play; the interface is really straightforward and the basic systems are easy enough to understand. It just doesn't really automate anything so there's a lot of micromanagement. The main thing that makes it complicated is that there's just so much STUFF in it that it can be hard to figure out where to start.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Dominions is incredibly hard to play, actually. Not because of the interface, it sucks but you either get past that or quit soon enough. Rather it's because the game is actually insanely deep and learning the game is nearly impossible. Most guides are full of misinformation written by enthusiastic morons, and the small remainder are written by expert players who tend to gloss over fundamentals and focus on what distinguishes their particular favorite faction. On top of that, the game isn't anywhere near solved, so even in the older games there are probably still strategic avenues that straight-up haven't been explored. You can try to learn by doing, but that's really hard when games take months to complete and tend to work in a FFA format -- meaning it can be weeks before you get feedback on whether a given decision was good or bad, and on top of that, you might just die for reasons that have nothing to do with whether you made the right mechanical decisions, because FFA emphasizes diplomacy over those aspects of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mugticket
Sep 13, 2011

Thanks Herpicle. I showed him what you recommended and I think he got interested in some of those.