Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I’m having a Halloween themed board game night with a mixed group of gamers/non-gamers. I’m looking for good ideas for themed games that will work well in that setting. So far my list is One Night Werewolf, a selected group of Superfight cards, and Mysterium. I would like to snag Mansions 2.0 if I can find a good deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Tragedy Looper?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Dancer posted:

https://www.sinisterfish.com/product/gloomhaven-removable-sticker-set/

Though I honestly think 99% of use cases don't warrant this. There's a lot of content in the box, and the heart of the game is actually in the turn to turn tactics and character growth, not the legacy aspect. Out of the 100 missions you can replay some (or play those that you locked out during the campaign) and the experience won't be any less good. You can also do another character of a class and it also won't be any less good. The single actually limiting thing is ability card enhancement; if you've enhanced a character type, you can't re-start them from square 1 with the normal stickers. Note that that is a very slow process though.

Thanks, I appreciate this -- I hadn't actually realized gloomhaven had this kind of mechanic and it would really bother me (in my head, rpg games are in the same category as books, i.e., things I get out again once a decade or so and replay).

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Some Numbers posted:

My winter will be trying desperately to play two different Legacy games.

I can't wait to get Here I Stand, Pendragon, and Gloomhaven in the same month and maybe finding time to play one of them.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Tai posted:

People talking about Gloomhaven makes me sad :(

I'm sad too. I really want those health and xp dials, the standing markers suck.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

I’m having a Halloween themed board game night with a mixed group of gamers/non-gamers. I’m looking for good ideas for themed games that will work well in that setting. So far my list is One Night Werewolf, a selected group of Superfight cards, and Mysterium. I would like to snag Mansions 2.0 if I can find a good deal.

Broom Service is about witches flying around, but might be a bit too dry/euro for the non-gamers.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Some Numbers posted:

Tragedy Looper?

Ugh so good but a pain in the rear end to teach, and don't think it'd fly for the non-gamers at all.

OperaMouse posted:

Broom Service is about witches flying around, but might be a bit too dry/euro for the non-gamers.

How is this one? Had a chance to grab it cheap and passed because I haven't really heard much. Looks cute though, theme is definitely a winner.

Also, in this week's gently caress Asmodee news;

https://www.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/71y2my/asmodeeamazon_just_cut_off_all_third_party_sellers/

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Broom Service is a good choice, it's like Kiki's Delivery Service made into a game.

Aghama
Jul 24, 2002

We eat fish, tossed salads

OperaMouse posted:

My mom and wife are both casual gamers and they liked it. The brave/cowardly mechanic adds some good tension and you can adjusted the complexity for newbies.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Some Numbers posted:

Broom Service is a good choice, it's like Kiki's Delivery Service made into a game.

I need this

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I really enjoyed Broom Service when I played it aside from the "I don't know what I'm doing so I do things arbitrarily and am basically I'm basically unpredictable as a result" thing that new/bad players do in games with simultaneous action reveals.

Countblanc fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Sep 23, 2017

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Countblanc posted:

I really enjoyed Broom Service when I played it aside from the "I don't know what I'm doing things arbitrarily and am basically I'm basically unpredictable as a result" thing that new/bad players do in games with simultaneous action reveals.
Hahaha, I do the same thing. I haven't lost a game of Broom Service after playing it more than ten times :mmmhmm:

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Broom Service is solid as poo poo

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?
Broom Service owns and is definitely Kiki's Delivery Service 2 in board game form, where we can imagine the hook of the sequel is that Kiki recruited a bunch of witches and got a competitive business going.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Btw is anyone interested in playing Diskwars on Vassal?

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

This may be considered heresy in these parts, but I just played some Mage Knight and I'm pretty sure I'm going to sell it off to make space for Gloomhaven.

Like the Dark Souls series, it looks great and when it clicks it feels like an accomplishment--but a lot of the time it just feels like a slog, half tedium and half frustration. Unlike Dark Souls, there are situations where you really can't do anything you need to do with your hand and you know you've lost long before the game would end. Say what you will about "fun" being a meaningless descriptor, but the movement/terrain issues in Mage Knight are incredibly not fun.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

CaptainRightful posted:

This may be considered heresy in these parts, but I just played some Mage Knight and I'm pretty sure I'm going to sell it off to make space for Gloomhaven.

Like the Dark Souls series, it looks great and when it clicks it feels like an accomplishment--but a lot of the time it just feels like a slog, half tedium and half frustration. Unlike Dark Souls, there are situations where you really can't do anything you need to do with your hand and you know you've lost long before the game would end. Say what you will about "fun" being a meaningless descriptor, but the movement/terrain issues in Mage Knight are incredibly not fun.
Movement in Mage Knight is indeed not very good and annoying, and can make the game end up in situations where you play your hand to move even though it is for combat, then end up with a hand good for movement when you want combat. It's not heresy to say that Mage Knight has significant problems. Also, don't buy Wizkids.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.
It's a lot better in co-op because most of the movement problems are pretty solvable by divvying up the map intelligently and using the tactics well.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
:stonk:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Funny part is this just means I'll buy less Asmodee product.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

am I seeing things or are more than half of those games still in shrink

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Finally got Concordia to the table again. This is the forth play for me (not including online) and I think I can finally say I really like this game. I was waiting for the other shoe to drop and to find something I didn't like and there is basically nothing. I really like basically everything about it. This one was a tie, and I love that the game has a definitive, one level tie-breaker even though I was on the wrong end of this one.

Here's a strategy question: what do you guys think using Senator on your first turn? Two new players have done it, and they have both won. Probably a coincidence, but it got us thinking. You can set yourself up to know your future strategy, but then again you aren't building infrastructure.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

deadwing posted:

am I seeing things or are more than half of those games still in shrink

With so much Munchkin to play, who has time for anything else?

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

Magnetic North posted:

Finally got Concordia to the table again. This is the forth play for me (not including online) and I think I can finally say I really like this game. I was waiting for the other shoe to drop and to find something I didn't like and there is basically nothing. I really like basically everything about it. This one was a tie, and I love that the game has a definitive, one level tie-breaker even though I was on the wrong end of this one.

Here's a strategy question: what do you guys think using Senator on your first turn? Two new players have done it, and they have both won. Probably a coincidence, but it got us thinking. You can set yourself up to know your future strategy, but then again you aren't building infrastructure.

The most common first turn I see is Architect. An early Architect can build in cities before others can, and you won't miss out on early Prefects.

It's important to play Senator often, but is there a benefit to playing it first turn instead of waiting? Unless there's a specific card you want to grab right away, I don't know. The cards aren't going to get more expensive. You aren't going to pick up any new options since you already have every action in your hand (except Mason, Farmer, etc but those aren't going to do anything on your next turn).

Senator is maybe the second most common start, probably just because you have an assortment of resources ready to spend.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Played Yunnan and it's a definite "7.1 BGG" game.

I messed up the first turn and there's NO way to catch up by making better choices. Same w/ another player.
The theme of tea traders was OK but it's not worth the playtime or a replay.

Ending was kingmakery.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Magnetic North posted:

i don't think i like it, if you spend your starting resources on cards then it seems like it'd take a really long time to scrounge up enough resources to do a 2-city Architect. what did they do after their Senator? maybe it'd work if you're last in turn order and have the magnus card to make Prefect without cities not-terrible.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

In Wir Sind Das Volk, what do you do if the East, in the first round of the game, plays Göttingen Eighteen to put more unrest in Hessen or Bayern where there is no starting industry? This seems to screw me over once in a while, because if you don't fix it the protest will be there all game and you'll never have an export factory baseline. It seems like the only real solution is to get unrest back under 4 through events and/or burning cards to remove unrest.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Magnetic North posted:

What do they usually buy with a senator first turn?

Triple-Kan
Dec 29, 2008

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

With so much Munchkin to play, who has time for anything else?

Is it time for a new thread title yet?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
In my group, the first player plays architect, and everyone else copies it with diplomat. Occasionally someone will mercator if they need more money to build their planned houses (on action 2).

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Krazyface posted:

In my group, the first player plays architect, and everyone else copies it with diplomat. Occasionally someone will mercator if they need more money to build their planned houses (on action 2).

It's worth Diplomatting Architect even if you only build one city, because it lets you get your colonists further out to build cheap cities in unexploited regions with your own Architect.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
It's also worth noting that the only way to get points is by buying more cards, so missing out on card buying opportunities is brutal. That said, you just have to buy cards before you Tribune, so it's not a big deal to do it a bit later.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I would only first turn senator if I could get a cheap mason, farmer, or smith. I don't think the others are worth sacrificing a first turn architect, especially if I was 4th or 5th player and a wine/cloth city were also next to brick cities.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Anyone have any strategic tips for The Colonists? For a 4 era game specifically (I think it's pretty meh if you don't play the full game). I'm finding turn to turn decisions to be a bit arbitrary based on the town spaces mechanic and finding it hard to execute any specific plans. I know I underutilize the embassies, maybe that should be behind most long term plans?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Bottom Liner posted:

Anyone have any strategic tips for The Colonists? For a 4 era game specifically (I think it's pretty meh if you don't play the full game). I'm finding turn to turn decisions to be a bit arbitrary based on the town spaces mechanic and finding it hard to execute any specific plans. I know I underutilize the embassies, maybe that should be behind most long term plans?

Dude Colonists is so last year!!! We're on to this year now! (Kidding, it's just been too long since I've played it to help you, sorry)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Bottom Liner posted:

Plan for teleportation and try to increase mobility. He who moves fastest has most flexibility.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Medium Style posted:

The most common first turn I see is Architect. An early Architect can build in cities before others can, and you won't miss out on early Prefects.

It's important to play Senator often, but is there a benefit to playing it first turn instead of waiting? Unless there's a specific card you want to grab right away, I don't know. The cards aren't going to get more expensive. You aren't going to pick up any new options since you already have every action in your hand (except Mason, Farmer, etc but those aren't going to do anything on your next turn).

Senator is maybe the second most common start, probably just because you have an assortment of resources ready to spend.

Yeah, the fact that you have everything is what made me wonder about it, since later it can be hard to get your hand on certain resources you might need to get them.

Tales of Woe posted:

i don't think i like it, if you spend your starting resources on cards then it seems like it'd take a really long time to scrounge up enough resources to do a 2-city Architect. what did they do after their Senator? maybe it'd work if you're last in turn order and have the magnus card to make Prefect without cities not-terrible.

That is true, but then again, whatever you get in a large quantity you're probably going to Mercator it away, so you're getting less money in the long run or needing to take multiple actions.

Krazyface posted:

Jedit posted:

It's worth Diplomatting Architect even if you only build one city, because it lets you get your colonists further out to build cheap cities in unexploited regions with your own Architect.

In my first game online, I happened to be the first player. I Architected and then everyone else Diplomatted it. I had wondered if I had somehow made a big mistake, but it's more that they made the correct follow up. I had not thought about how that can let you get 4 spaces away from Rome.

Dirk the Average posted:

It's also worth noting that the only way to get points is by buying more cards, so missing out on card buying opportunities is brutal. That said, you just have to buy cards before you Tribune, so it's not a big deal to do it a bit later.

Yeah, when I teach the game, I try to emphasize how important buying cards is, and thereby how important the Senator is. The other two points I emphasize: you can't buy another Senator and there is no actual Vesta strategy.

al-azad posted:

What do they usually buy with a senator first turn?

al-azad posted:

I would only first turn senator if I could get a cheap mason, farmer, or smith. I don't think the others are worth sacrificing a first turn architect, especially if I was 4th or 5th player and a wine/cloth city were also next to brick cities.

I don't remember the first time it happened, but in last night's game, he got a Mason and something else. He later asked "Is there a strategy about specializing in a resource?" I said you can but you have to do more than just that since it won't be worth enough points on it. As it turns out, getting the Smith and Mason and a ton of those locations, you can do pretty darn well. :D

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

the true next-level Concordia opening is turn 1 Tribune

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Tales of Woe posted:

the true next-level Concordia opening is turn 1 Tribune

You know that could work getting an extra colonist before using your architect...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

I don't get it

is "shelfie" a thing?