Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
To be fair, even as a dumb kid who fell asleep during the last action scene of transformers, I thought they were building up Mikaela as the stealth hero of the movie with all the writing around her.

Though I think it's very weird that Michael Bay named the hot sexy female lead after himself. (Or maybe it was the writers? idk)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

e X posted:

Lindsay says that there are still some legal trouble to move out of the way before they can go fully public again. But iir, the site is actually up again.

I thing that is just of the result of this actually being goof analyses,while SMG never really goes beyond the "Student who didn't do the work and is trying to weasel his way through the class by making poo poo up as he goes along " level

As far as I could tell his whole thing was antagonizing dumbos who are hostile to anything other than a literal reading. His readings would often shift premises and vocabulary and employ appeals to authorial intention in flagrantly nonsensical ways. There's a reason his "favorite" movies were marvel poo poo and big-budget scifi/nerd franchises.

He may have seriously viewed film from a cultural materialist perspective, but he didn't care about the quality of his analysis nearly as much as baiting nerds into melting down by "ruining" The Avengers or whatever.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
who is smg

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

e X posted:

I thing that is just of the result of this actually being goof analyses,while SMG never really goes beyond the "Student who didn't do the work and is trying to weasel his way through the class by making poo poo up as he goes along " level

Is SMG that goon who posted the really in-depth analysis thread of the first three Bay Transformers movies?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

SuperMechaGodzilla, a notorious Cinema Discusso goon. BravestOfTheLamps does similar, but with more (and more open) snobbery.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Solitair posted:

Is SMG that goon who posted the really in-depth analysis thread of the first three Bay Transformers movies?
No, thats a different one.

SMG is a poster that I could appreciate the gimmick off but nowadays he is in every CD thread making GBS threads all over and it's gone beyond fun.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

He's one of the few people that actually makes CD interesting. I don't agree with him for the most part but I still love his posts.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Solitair posted:

Nope it was Terry van Feleday. The analysis is a pretty fun read.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Zedd posted:

I could appreciate the gimmick off but nowadays he is in every CD thread making GBS threads all over and it's gone beyond fun.

So its like the majority of internet reviewers with a persona :haw:

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

MacheteZombie posted:

Nope it was Terry van Feleday. The analysis is a pretty fun read.

Yeah I actually really liked those posts despite really disliking those movies, and he makes the case that the movies themselves eventually seem to openly acknowledge, which is that Optimus Prime is essentially a villain.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)

Darth Walrus posted:

SuperMechaGodzilla, a notorious Cinema Discusso goon. BravestOfTheLamps does similar, but with more (and more open) snobbery.

oh, I saw their posts. I thought their posts are interesting and funny, if you don't take them seriously. rude to compare them to BoTL tbh

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Something odd happened. I was looking up CrazyGoggs's old videos mocking the TvTropes forums, and I searched for one I thought I remembered where TVT was having a meltdown over Google pulling ads because the site hosted some disgusting stuff. Anyways, when I searched this, I got twelve results: Goggs's Innocent Panties video, Mister Metokur, Sargon of Akkad, and the first season of Corner Gas (for some reason). I'm still amused that Metokur and Sargon both show up when I'm specifically looking for horrible content to be mocked.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'm still amused that Metokur and Sargon both show up when I'm specifically looking for horrible content to be mocked.

The algorithm works!

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

I didn't know this person but it's Cool and Good to see that people I do follow and enjoy and thought knew better like Lindsay and Lupa follow her

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Box of Bunnies posted:

I didn't know this person but it's Cool and Good to see that people I do follow and enjoy and thought knew better like Lindsay and Lupa follow her

Her stuff has historically been quite thoughtful and gives no hint of those kinds of awful beliefs. She was part of the exodus from CA and a part of chez apocalypse.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Box of Bunnies posted:

she's spent the other 99% of her time online being a generic fanfic nerd, dude. She's only just decided to reveal she fuckin hates trans women a day ago, maybe cut them some slack?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

business hammocks posted:

Her stuff has historically been quite thoughtful and gives no hint of those kinds of awful beliefs. She was part of the exodus from CA and a part of chez apocalypse.

I believe that she was part of Chez Apocalypse first and then added to CA. In fact, she puts stuff on CA even now.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

DrVenkman posted:

Yeah I actually really liked those posts despite really disliking those movies, and he makes the case that the movies themselves eventually seem to openly acknowledge, which is that Optimus Prime is essentially a villain.

Same. I wouldn't mind seeing him tackle the fourth and fifth movies too, especially since Prime explicitly turns evil in the fifth one.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)

sexpig by night posted:

she's spent the other 99% of her time online being a generic fanfic nerd, dude. She's only just decided to reveal she fuckin hates trans women a day ago, maybe cut them some slack?

no those people are psychic they must know everything

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Tired Moritz posted:

no those people are psychic they must know everything

Following is also endorsement.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

On a completely unrelated note, can anyone tell me what the music is at the end of HBG's "Antifeminism VS FACTS" video? It's p. boss.

sexpig by night posted:

LOL if you don't screen all your colleagues for exact ideological purity before you associate with them on any level.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

It's Sewer Surfing from TMNT: Turtles in Time for the SNES.

And yeah it's only a worry if you suddenly wake up to a tweetstorm of "Did you know, hmmmm, that you can be friends with people you disagree with???? It's. Only. A. Difference. In. Opinion. Besides Gender Critical People are more open minded than TransPeople and-" or if there's outright a weird corraling around her.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Something odd happened. I was looking up CrazyGoggs's old videos mocking the TvTropes forums, and I searched for one I thought I remembered where TVT was having a meltdown over Google pulling ads because the site hosted some disgusting stuff. Anyways, when I searched this, I got twelve results: Goggs's Innocent Panties video, Mister Metokur, Sargon of Akkad, and the first season of Corner Gas (for some reason). I'm still amused that Metokur and Sargon both show up when I'm specifically looking for horrible content to be mocked.

Another fun fact is that one of the readings in one of those videos is from a post that hbomb made

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Another fun fact is that CrazyGoggs spent literal years gaslighting and harassing a mentally ill person because he thought it would be funny.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
wait what?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

DoctorWhat posted:

wait what?

He went by Clyde Cash before he went by Crazy Goggs. Some goon who was involved in the videos(CrassCrab I think?) mentioned this a few years back

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
oh

oh

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Oh, oh no. oh no

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Re: Priam:

Any explanation that does not allow for that one fancomic of Priam introducing his rear end in a top hat great-great-great-great-great-(etc)-grandfather Soren to the Shepherds followed by Soren wrecking their hopes and dreams is a bad explanation. :colbert:

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Wrong thread, dude.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Kinda wanna know what thread that was supposed to go in though

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
its the fire emblem thread.

anyway, does anyone know any good youtubers that specifically discuss reality tv shows? ralph sepe does but he doesn't fill the void that much.

I need to learn about this bridalplasty show.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Dan Gheelsing won big brother once and occasionally talks about it if that counts :v:

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Everyone shut the gently caress up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuN6GfUix7c

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

My hand just did the biggest hand jack off motion when she started rambling about "the free market place of ideas". I mean yeah there's issues, but then a lot of stuff does get dismissed on the arguments as to how that stuff is like that in the first place.

Kunster fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Sep 24, 2017

watho
Aug 2, 2013

(That's the reaction you're supposed to have)

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I'm a dum dum about this sort of performance art, but I watched this and most of the time I was like "Yeah I agree with the weird funny cat lady shrieky leftist, was this supposed to make me feel enlightened in some way on the horror of my ways?"

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Contra wrote a breakdown of what it means to her in the comments of the video if that's something you'd like to read.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Kunster posted:

I'm a dum dum about this sort of performance art, but I watched this and most of the time I was like "Yeah I agree with the weird funny cat lady shrieky leftist, was this supposed to make me feel enlightened in some way on the horror of my ways?"

Same here. If I ever had to pick between these two I will pick the Antifa Cat girl every time. But I do get where Contra is coming from in her criticisms of her.

For Example, with regards to the PSL chapter I've been to a few meetings of. No one wants a war with North Korea. NOBODY. Millions will die and possible doom the planet for good. And I will champion everyday to make sure that never happens. What I am not going to do however is defend the Jim Kong family or the DPRK Government. Or pretend that North Korea is some kind of Utopia. Any government that demands worship of it's leaders under penalty of law is immediately suspect to me.

Edit: Yeah, here's Contra's notes on it.

Contra posted:

Political videos tend not to be interpreted very charitably (I know this video is going to be upheld by centrists as evidence I’ve “gone full Antifa” and by leftists that I’m a closet centrist) so I’d better state unambiguously what I think.

The character Tabby represents a lot of what I think is wrong about leftist strategy: the indifference to optics, the undisguised hostility to the ideologically impure, the sectarian nitpicking, the alternation between extreme optimism (“a communist revolution can happen in the United States and it will go well if it does”) and extreme pessimism (“neoliberal propaganda has so tight a grip on the general public that why should we even bother trying to appeal to them?”), the blurring of lines between recognizing the necessity of violence in certain situations and the aesthetic celebration of violence as an end in itself. Nevertheless I try to represent Tabby with some sympathy, and anticipate that my viewers will like her—my audience is at least 95% trans Antifa cat girls, but I hope that doesn’t prevent them from thinking about the critique.

The character Justine is a mouthpiece for a lot of my complaints about the left, and the recipient of some leftist criticisms of me (“you go to brunch with these people?”), but I chose not to represent her as an attractive alternative. She’s complacent, frivolous, and ineffective, full of derision for the way other leftists do things but not contributing much for her own part either. When a fascist comes knocking on the door it’s better to have Tabby there than Justine. To see if Justine can put her money where her mouth is we’d have to see what speech she delivers following the fascist speech. This YouTube channel is effectively my attempt to make that speech, and I can’t be the one who judges how successful it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I have read the comment on the bottom and this makes a bit more sense on my head. I'm far more charitable to this video now!

And re: NK, it got the point where even stating that sanctions that attack industries where regular North Koreans could actively work with other countries and in a way seek something better than their standards (I'm thinking of the industry parks on the border) were a bad idea, heck, the idea of even seeing the people there are humans is met with outright derision and accusations of being a NK/Russian agent.

• Locked thread