Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Al-Saqr posted:

lol I actually forgot that MVC infinite is out lol

What are you talking about? I haven't heard anything about a new mahvel game, no sir.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Nalesh posted:

What are you talking about? I haven't heard anything about a new mahvel game, no sir.

Don't deny reality. Confront the mediocre media head on. We survived Alien: Covenant, Terminator Genisys, Avatar the Last Airbender, Dragonball Evolution, Pixels and Metroid Other M. Handle your poo poo.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
it's actually a good game

it's just bad to look at and low budget in every way that isn't gameplay

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Blockhouse posted:

Note: Gameplay still less good than it's predecessors or contemporaries.

Just hold out, Piccolo is coming to save us with his good friends Krillin and Krillins Hot Wife.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Note: Gameplay still less good than it's predecessors

Yeah, no. I disagree with that.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
No Thanos Bubbles, 0/10.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Woolie's getting in on all those podcast recap animations.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

21 is good but 18 is still the best sorry Matt

Bulma and Chichi also actually

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
There's something that disturbs me about how funny I find Woolie dealing with religion. There's obvious tongue and cheek like this but then there's the Binding of Isaac videos where he's nearing meltdown.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Blockhouse posted:

It doesn't matter how good the gameplay is if the rest of the game sucks, sadly. At least to me, if it's not fun/exciting, what's the point? I guess that's the whole function argument again though.

Rodyle posted:

21 is good but 18 is still the best sorry Matt

Bulma and Chichi also actually

Bulma and 18 are top tier, but Chichi turned into a horrible harpy the moment she tricked Goku into putting a baby inside her.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I thought I read somewhere that all the combos end up doing the exact same damage in Infinite.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

They're making an anime all about CANADA this Winter (!!!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a822uufNGlw

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Grouchio posted:

they already did but it was about gay pedophilia incest.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Grouchio posted:

Haha they got the Toronto sign in there? This seriously looks like a Canadian travel ad for Japanese people.

Which presumably is why Vancouver and Toromto feature zero visible Asians apart from the dude.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Roobanguy posted:

they already did but it was about gay pedophilia incest.

You'll have to be more specific than that with anime.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

HGH posted:

There's something that disturbs me about how funny I find Woolie dealing with religion. There's obvious tongue and cheek like this but then there's the Binding of Isaac videos where he's nearing meltdown.

it's not woolie's fault he knows what he's messing with

hoobajoo posted:

Bulma and 18 are top tier, but Chichi turned into a horrible harpy the moment she tricked Goku into putting a baby inside her.

Chichi is cute and has every reason in the world to be irritable about Goku

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Tae posted:

I thought I read somewhere that all the combos end up doing the exact same damage in Infinite.

There's pretty heavy scaling after 5k damage, but you can wring a bit more if you optimize stuff, It does make characters feel a bit samey IMO.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Hoobajoo with the absolute worst takes on ladies in media again.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I mean, Chichi is kind of an rear end in a top hat (she basically tricked Goku into a marriage, like, that's legit what happened) BUUUUUT Goku is also a terrible father and husband. Now she's just trying to live a normal life as a housewife and he keeps fuckin' off, trying to kill his own child and the entire universe as we know it and he won't get A FUCKIN' JOB.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Dias posted:

I mean, Chichi is kind of an rear end in a top hat (she basically tricked Goku into a marriage, like, that's legit what happened) BUUUUUT Goku is also a terrible father and husband. Now she's just trying to live a normal life as a housewife and he keeps fuckin' off, trying to kill his own child and the entire universe as we know it and he won't get A FUCKIN' JOB.

If she expected Goku to get a job or even stay home she is really dumb.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Andrast posted:

If she expected Goku to get a job or even stay home she is really dumb.

I mean he fully intended to just settle into the whole mountain hideaway lifestyle too. He even did so for a couple of years!

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Rodyle posted:

I mean he fully intended to just settle into the whole mountain hideaway lifestyle too. He even did so for a couple of years!

and then he hosed off to train and fight which was obviously going to happen

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Rodyle posted:

Then his rear end in a top hat brother decided to crash into town and fill his head with "power levels" and "ultra powerful aliens" talk and he just relapsed into his old habits. He was about to get his 3-year chip!

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

You don't marry a protagonist and except him to stay out

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Part of my problem with Chichi is how much she hates Goku training. Like, is she oblivious to the fact that Goku has literally saved the Earth at least a half-dozen times now. His training is IMPORTANT, it's not just him loving off to eat pizza with Beerus. And Goku is the second-worst anime dad (after Gendo) but Chichi is pretty bad herself.

Is it that weird that I think fun girls are fun and girls that shout and browbeat to get their way are bad, even if their SOs are also lovely? I dunno.

Edit: worth mentioning, I'm basing a lot of this on the Super characters, since that's what's current and that's where the characters are now.

hoobajoo fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Sep 24, 2017

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

goku's training is important but there's no reason he can't just baaaaaaaaaaaaaarely win the world martial arts tournament every once and a while for prize money
thats just before the buu saga though because i think after that mr. satan just bankrolls them with his infinity dollars tho

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

hoobajoo posted:

Part of my problem with Chichi is how much she hates Goku training. Like, is she oblivious to the fact that Goku has literally saved the Earth at least a half-dozen times now. His training is IMPORTANT, it's not just him loving off to eat pizza with Beerus. And Goku is the second-worst anime dad (after Gendo) but Chichi is pretty bad herself.

Is it that weird that I think fun girls are fun and girls that shout and browbeat to get their way are bad, even if their SOs are also lovely? I dunno.

Edit: worth mentioning, I'm basing a lot of this on the Super characters, since that's what's current and that's where the characters are now.

Not to mention how she treated Gohan. Sure Gohan turned out all right all things considered, but Chi-Chi's tiger mom bullshit could get borderline abusive.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Neo_Crimson posted:

Not to mention how she treated Gohan. Sure Gohan turned out all right all things considered, but Chi-Chi's tiger mom bullshit could get borderline abusive.

Eh, a lot of that was exaggerated by the anime or was pure filler poo poo.

Mostly ChiChi just didn't want her literal baby to die.

Like, Gohan was only 12 when he killed Cell.

That's how old Goku was when he first met Bulma and went on his adventures. Gohan went through some bad poo poo as a little baby child.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Burkion posted:

Eh, a lot of that was exaggerated by the anime or was pure filler poo poo.

I speak from experience that it's not that exaggerated.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Neo_Crimson posted:

I speak from experience that it's not that exaggerated.

Leaving him with an abusive tutor sure was, and that's the worst of it that I can think of

Like yeah, making your 5-10 year old child study all the time isn't great, but you know what's worse?

letting that same child nearly die over and over and over and over again.

Gohan got his neck snapped or nearly snapped, what, twice on Namek?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Burkion posted:

Leaving him with an abusive tutor sure was, and that's the worst of it that I can think of

Like yeah, making your 5-10 year old child study all the time isn't great, but you know what's worse?

letting that same child nearly die over and over and over and over again.

Gohan got his neck snapped or nearly snapped, what, twice on Namek?

I'm not saying Goku is blameless, I'm saying Chi-Chi is also a lovely parent, just in a more "realistic" way.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Goten: "Mom, can I spend some quality time with dad bonding over our shared interest in martial arts? I know he's not perfect, but it's still important I spend time with him, especially since he has a very dangerous job and wasn't around in my most formative years."
Chichi: "No, do your homework."
Goten: "But I already did my homework!"
Chichi: "THEN I'LL MAKE MORE HOMEWORK! YOU ARE FORBIDDEN TO SEE YOUR FATHER DOING WHAT HE LOVES."

Goku being a lovely parent does not make Chichi a better one by default.

GulagDolls posted:

goku's training is important but there's no reason he can't just baaaaaaaaaaaaaarely win the world martial arts tournament every once and a while for prize money
thats just before the buu saga though because i think after that mr. satan just bankrolls them with his infinity dollars tho

Yeah, Mr. Satan basically drives dumptrucks full of Zeni to their house for hush money the movie rights to Goku's life, they have no practical monetary concerns. There's no reason Goku shouldn't be free to focus on his passion, which I remind everyone, is being the literal Savior of Earth.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Well there's one reason.

Dude's actually a really loving good farmer. Like they set that up- he is a natural farmer who outshines everyone.

He just doesn't like to do it

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Burkion posted:

Well there's one reason.

Dude's actually a really loving good farmer. Like they set that up- he is a natural farmer who outshines everyone.

He just doesn't like to do it

Making someone who's good at something do it despite them hating it is not good for them, it's actually super toxic and lovely.

And again, they have no practical money concerns, so why make him do work he hates at all?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Make Goten do it

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

hoobajoo posted:

Making someone who's good at something do it despite them hating it is not good for them, it's actually super toxic and lovely.

And again, they have no practical money concerns, so why make him do work he hates at all?

you know every time he goes to play hero he or people he cares about dies right? Like, maybe there's a reason his wife wouldn't be wild about encouraging him to do the thing that so far has, just for their family:

-Gotten their, what, six year old kid kidnapped
-Had him get killed in front of said kid
-Sent that kid into space without her knowledge a few years later
-Had that kid and him face the literal emperor of space evil in a battle that killed tons of people and WRECKED A PLANET
-Robots kicked the poo poo out of both of them
-A bug man held a tournament that killed him and put their son in a life or death struggle that decided the fate of the world
-The one time her kid actually had a normal school life a wizard brought a being of pure evil to life that ate the kid and the new kid who Goku literally was never alive to see except that one day
-All the movie plots that involved Gohan getting the poo poo beaten out of him/terrorized/kidnapped/all three at once

This isn't even including the post-farm Super stuff that involved him challenging the god of destruction to fight for shits n giggles and being in now two tournaments that have literal universe erasing stakes.

Like, Goku isn't just some dude who does martial arts for a hobby. If he was fuckin Yamcha or Tien he'd be fine, he's the idiot that keeps dying and leaving his family for huge periods of time, and constantly drags other people to die/leave their families too. Maybe he needs another project.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

In hindsight I think that the franchise would have been optimized narratively if it had ended with Dragonball. A modern loose re-telling of the Journey to the West without all the other bullshit.
My nostalgia screams and rages against this stance, but it had been smothered ages ago.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

sexpig by night posted:

you know every time he goes to play hero he or people he cares about dies right? Like, maybe there's a reason his wife wouldn't be wild about encouraging him to do the thing that so far has, just for their family:

-Gotten their, what, six year old kid kidnapped
-Had him get killed in front of said kid
-Sent that kid into space without her knowledge a few years later
-Had that kid and him face the literal emperor of space evil in a battle that killed tons of people and WRECKED A PLANET
-Robots kicked the poo poo out of both of them
-A bug man held a tournament that killed him and put their son in a life or death struggle that decided the fate of the world
-The one time her kid actually had a normal school life a wizard brought a being of pure evil to life that ate the kid and the new kid who Goku literally was never alive to see except that one day
-All the movie plots that involved Gohan getting the poo poo beaten out of him/terrorized/kidnapped/all three at once

This isn't even including the post-farm Super stuff that involved him challenging the god of destruction to fight for shits n giggles and being in now two tournaments that have literal universe erasing stakes.

Like, Goku isn't just some dude who does martial arts for a hobby. If he was fuckin Yamcha or Tien he'd be fine, he's the idiot that keeps dying and leaving his family for huge periods of time, and constantly drags other people to die/leave their families too. Maybe he needs another project.

Him dying was in defense of his son and the planet as a whole, respectively, and most of those other things weren't Goku's fault; he didn't ask to fight Raditz, the androids, Buu, or Beerus (beyond friendly sparring), and Gohan volunteered to go to Namek. Not going to defend the thing where he gave a senzu bean to Cell though, that poo poo was dumb. But ultimately, if Goku wasn't who he was and so strong, the whole Earth would be ruled by King Piccolo at best, space dust at worst, so for better or worse he has to fight cosmic battles for the fate of the Earth because no one else really can. I feel like you're grossly warping the narrative so everything bad is Goku's fault no matter how little he did to actually cause anything.

But none of that really makes Chichi's actions better, just more understandable. How bad of a person Goku is doesn't mean that Chichi's horribleness is any better. gently caress, Toriyama made Chichi a terrible wife on purpose, as a joke! Is there really anyone who likes her more than Bulma or 18?

hoobajoo fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Sep 24, 2017

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Chchi's not a bad lady or wife, Goku's a bad dad and a flake and even in the relatively peaceful times of super is always looking to duck out of her life and gently caress off to Infinite Amounts Of Miles Away space to train with King Kai or Whis. Instead of spending time with the son he chose to miss out of the first 7 years of life with.

How bad Goku acts is WHY Chichi acts like she does and it is justified at being annoyed with Goku not taking his duty as a father seriously. You can tell this right because literally every other character also gives him poo poo for it. Chichi's the most aggressive about it because she's one of the the ones suffering the most.

Fun fact though, this is the second time Hoobajoo has started a derail about how much some lady was a harpy and weirdly brought up the woman forcing or tricking someone to 'put a baby in them'.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Sep 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

what have I done