Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Ventana posted:

Not that I disagree with this assessment, but were there any good legal shows or representations on TV back by 66-69 when TOS was airing? There are some good movies that I think did this pretty well by then, but I don't know about TV shows that did to at the time.

I mean, "good" is a matter of taste but there were definitely courtroom dramas on tv in the 60s. Perry Mason ended right about the time TOS was airing I think. Court Martial is just a mediocre episode that cares more about the point it wants to make than about making sense at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I was going to say Perry Mason. You beat me to it.

The unrealistic legal wrangling in that episode is distracting. I don't think it's necessarily a bad episode, but Cogley is definitely no Matlock or Jack McCoy.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I don't think Measure of a Man was ever intended as a 'remake', it just happened to be another courtroom episode (in large part because the writer had worked in law previously).

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Big Mean Jerk posted:

This thread is busier than you think, especially when Jeb! posts his TNG reactions, and it seemed right to give Discovery its own thread so that people who watch the show but don't usually post here won't have to wade through dozens of posts concerning shows they've never watched. It also prevents this thread from becoming page after page of black-barred posts, which I guarantee someone would have complained about since there are multiple posters who won't be watching Discovery anytime soon or ever. This thread will be fine.

Not to mention there's been times recently we had as many as 3 Doctor Who threads...

It will be interessting to see what thread gets more posts each week, ST:D or Orville.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Astroman posted:

It will be interessting to see what thread gets more posts each week, ST:D or Orville.

I'm choosing to read that abbreviation as "Star Trek :haw:"

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

MisterBibs posted:

I might've said this before, but the Federation is a tech-focused faction in a 4X game that researched all the weapons technologies as prereqs for the +1 Energy Per Tile technology they really wanted. Don't make them think "Hey, we've got this stuff lying around, maybe we should use it?".
"You might call them soft, because they’re very reluctant to kill, and they might agree with you, but they’re soft the way the ocean is soft, and, well; ask any sea captain how harmless and puny the ocean can be."

Yes, yes, wrong sci-fi series but The Culture is basically the Federation turned up to 11 anyway.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Itzena posted:

"You might call them soft, because they’re very reluctant to kill, and they might agree with you, but they’re soft the way the ocean is soft, and, well; ask any sea captain how harmless and puny the ocean can be."

Yes, yes, wrong sci-fi series but The Culture is basically the Federation turned up to 11 anyway.
As I recall part of why the Dominion was doing things like angling to sterilize Earth is that even if the Dominion was still winning, the Federation was hardening up - and indeed as it turns out their reckless overinvestment in engineering innovation produced a COUPLE PRETTY GOOD SOLUTIONS TO THE WAR

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Baronjutter posted:

I was at a dino exhibit recently and they were saying the new theory is that they were both, or neither. They could generate their own body heat when needed, but they also had aspects of cold-blooded animals where they'd need sun to supplement this. They weren't 100% sure how it worked but they were pretty sure dino's almost didn't fit into the hot/cold blooded binary and were sort of their own thing that we don't see anymore.

Neat!

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Mister Kingdom posted:

I knew it! David Byrne is a Romulan!

Stop making sense.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I don't think Measure of a Man was ever intended as a 'remake', it just happened to be another courtroom episode (in large part because the writer had worked in law previously).
The Greatest Generation podcast pointed out a weird thing with this episode- there is an Admiral that is on the Starbase at the beginning, but conveniently he disappears when Louvois has to force Riker to be the prosecuting attorney against Data.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Watching Hero Worship. Some kind of weird space thing seems to have happened to the ship they found.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

The scene where they're looking around the derelict ship kind of reminds me of the episode where Troi tried to stop everyone's space madness with her dreams. I think they still haven't said what possible causes where for all the crew deaths. Oh poo poo a survivor

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

So the boy's for sure gonna idolize someone on the Enterprise, but is it gonna be Data since he saved him?

Data's sitting in for the counseling session when he probably wouldn't otherwise so I'm guessing yes.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

The blocking is really weird for this scene, Geordi just walked farther away from Data to dilvulge this personal thing so he'd have to talk louder and let everybody in the engineering section hear it

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

ROMULANS(?)

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Is Troi ever more useful than just a particularly empathetic and perceptive human would be

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

The young actor and the writing around him are good though

Holy poo poo Data's lack of tact is a lot more apparent with a kid

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

The moment where Data goes back to finish the model before he leaves is so sweet

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Is Troi ever more useful than just a particularly empathetic and perceptive human would be

Is she even that useful

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

"I am functioning within established parameters"

Lol oh god

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

cheetah7071 posted:

Is she even that useful

I'm sensing hostility from this post.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

This shot's supposed to be showing how tempting the food is and I've gotta say, it's effective. I want all that stuff badly now

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I have a feeling this psychology is bunk

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

This shot's supposed to be showing how tempting the food is and I've gotta say, it's effective. I want all that stuff badly now

It's recycled poop filled with vitamins

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Data trying to brush his hair is one of the funniest things I've ever seen

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Drink-Mix Man posted:

It's recycled poop filled with vitamins

So's our current food if you think about it.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Jeb! Repetition posted:

So's our current food if you think about it.

vegetables are sunbeams and poop

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Troi would have been a lot better if they had an actual psychologist on the writing staff for her, but she is decent dealing with kids. This episode and Worf/Alexander.

Generally she is bunko supreme and even gets freudian at least once

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Wow the shields even deflect gravity itself

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Dammit I think I missed them explaining what a black cluster is.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Wow the shields even deflect gravity itself

lol I mean, I guess the could. They have total anti-grav and artificial gravity.

I can usually figure out what you are talking about easily but I'm not sure what you're on about here.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Having Data explain to the boy how he wants to be human is such a good idea, both from Troi and from the writers

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

The Bloop posted:

lol I mean, I guess the could. They have total anti-grav and artificial gravity.

I can usually figure out what you are talking about easily but I'm not sure what you're on about here.

They put up the shields to protect the ship from gravity waves. I just never realized they could actually negate gravity before. Makes me wonder if they could go beyond a black hole's event horizon.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

WHAT

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Oh the kid was just feeling guilty over nothing

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Jeb! Repetition posted:

They put up the shields to protect the ship from gravity waves. I just never realized they could actually negate gravity before. Makes me wonder if they could go beyond a black hole's event horizon.

Depends on the black hole. The supermassive ones in galactic cores you could theoretically enter even without gravity control, as the event horizon is out far enough that the tidal forces wouldn't shred you to subatomic particles. You might not even necessarily know you'd crossed it.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Well the shields turned out to be centrally relevant to the plot. It's a weird coincidence that the fact that they could interact with gravity made me pay extra attention to them. Although it turns out they can't "negate" it after all

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Jeb! Repetition posted:

never, really there were moments where she says "he seems angry, Captain" after the guy on screen smashes a coffee cup, but I liked Troi best in the later seasons when she had more scenes in a consular's room

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

That was a cute episode.