Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

ulvir posted:

I’ve been on android for the past four years or so, so I’ve another dumb question:

when you flip the left-side switch to silent mode, it’ll mute all sounds and the ringtone, but still let through the alarm clock, right?

Yep. Nothing can silence alarms afaik

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I suppose, but it's nice to have piece of mind just taking a phone with issues to the Apple Store than dealing with Asurion for an extra 4-5 bucks a month. You'd certainly get a new phone faster.

Sorry I guess ultimately what I'm asking is if whether or not in the end you pay for applecare, which it sounds like you do, so it's not really a selling point; because you could get applecare if you were doing a payment plan through a carrier?

I can pay upfront, but i'm just looking for the most economical option 's all

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I feel like True Tone just makes it look like night shift is on all the loving time.

Also, MeasureKit is garbage. I've measured a bunch of things and it's nowhere even near the ballpark of being correct. I am not 15.8" tall, nor do I have a 56' monitor.

Measure Kit works prefect for me.

Are you just that bad at using stuff? So far nothing has worked for you.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Do you guys know of a good reliable car phone mount for the 7+? I just got the iOttie Easy One Touch XL from Amazon today and I'm already having to return it because I drove with it earlier and my phone loving fell out of it on like 3 separate occasions while I was driving.

Now, I also live in New Orleans where the roads are complete poo poo because the city doesn't take care of them at all, so there are bumps everywhere. I guess what I need is a sturdy one with solid build quality.

I've now gone through 3 of them in the past year. My last one had rubber pieces on the sides that held the phone in place and one of the rubber pieces kept coming off. I superglued it back on and that didn't even hold.

I just want one that actually holds up and does what it's supposed to do even under the harsh conditions I'm driving in.

This is who I use. You buy your mount system in two pieces: A holder specific to your phone, and a mounting bracket specific to your car model. They're not cheap, but their poo poo is solid. Using the mounting adapters to mate the two pieces means that as your phone model changes (or car changes) you only have to get a new holder (or bracket).

http://www.proclipusa.com

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

It really sucks that you can't download Apple Music shows. I know there are playlists but that is only half the show and it's actually a unique thing compared to Spotify

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Dugong posted:

It really sucks that you can't download Apple Music shows. I know there are playlists but that is only half the show and it's actually a unique thing compared to Spotify

Yeah I didn't realise they were streaming only until I tried to save a few for a plane trip.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Sorry I guess ultimately what I'm asking is if whether or not in the end you pay for applecare, which it sounds like you do, so it's not really a selling point; because you could get applecare if you were doing a payment plan through a carrier?

This would go much better for you if instead of asking the thread, you went to Apple’s website and multiplied the various financing options‘ monthly rates (depends on carrier/configuration) by 24 and compared that to whatever model’s base price is for buying it all at once. Generally, buying all at once is cheaper? But it depends on whether you’d normally buy Apple Care, if you are planning to upgrade yearly or not, what deals your carrier wants to offer to lock you in. And I don’t know enough about your financial situation to value money today over money spread over 2 years.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Proteus Jones posted:

This is who I use. You buy your mount system in two pieces: A holder specific to your phone, and a mounting bracket specific to your car model. They're not cheap, but their poo poo is solid. Using the mounting adapters to mate the two pieces means that as your phone model changes (or car changes) you only have to get a new holder (or bracket).

http://www.proclipusa.com

Seconding this, these are the only mounts I'd say are bulletproof.

That said, I prefer the much cheaper magnetic mount + metal disc inside case option now for normal driving.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

[quote="“Nostalgia4Dogges”" post="“476675079”"]
Ok, so how does buying a phone outright or via payment work these days? I got my current one second hand, and before that it was the carrier two year subsidized

What’s the most easiest and economical option if I have t-mobile? As I understand most all carriers and apple both have payment plans, or you can buy it outright. Does it matter which option I pick?

Help me fam
[/quote]

I think that you end up breaking even either way but I opted to buy my phone upfront this time. I had att next and paid 70 bucks to upgrade early since I was due for an upgrade in November. I think I probably paid a bit more than if I had bought the phone outright and then sold it myself to fund the next phone purchase so I am going to go the route this year and try to figure out what the cost difference ends up being. If anyone has done both and has some concrete numbers I would be curious what the difference is.

enojy posted:

I think stuff like mass photo restores from iCloud Photo Library only goes into full swing when plugged into power and locked.

Since you're down to 64GB now (can't wait for my next upgrade! Bring 128GB back Tim, you gently caress) go to Settings > Photos and select "Optimize phone storage" over "Download and keep originals." The way this works is, full resolution photos will remain on your phone until you get low on storage (something like 10-15%.) At that point, Photos will start purging pictures as needed, leaving lower resolutions on the phone, and the full resolution in the cloud storage.

I don't know how this setting applies to restoring from cloud storage, though. It may download the low resolution images/thumbnails and that's it, or it may download everything if it determines it wouldn't strain your free space.

Thanks for the suggestion - I checked and Optimize Phone Storage was already checked luckily. My 7+ was 256gb and that ended up being overkill because even with a massive amount of music downloaded I only used a little over half of the total storage. Most of my storage was from Photos. It is quite a dick move taking 128gb out of the lineup to make people size up to the 256 and I opted for the 64 just because I didn't like the idea of being forced into a higher storage than I needed. And I can make 64gb work as long as I manage Photos and not just let everything pile up there.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Proteus Jones posted:

Measure Kit works prefect for me.

Are you just that bad at using stuff? So far nothing has worked for you.

So far Measurekit has not worked well for me, either. But it may be an education issue on my part. Seems simple enough, though. Very inconsistent, can not detect my kid's face to do height at all, etc...

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

The Apple Upgrade Program is definitely ~(full price of iPhone + cost of AppleCare+)/(24 months). They also have a separate (full price of iPhone)/(24 months) option that doesn't let you trade your phone in every year. Carrier financing is probably about the same (i.e. cost of phone / time they give you to pay it off, with upgrade eligibility varying and AppleCare+ sold separately).

Technically the payment plans are more economical because the $700 or $829 (64 GB iPhone 8 + AppleCare+) you could spend up-front will be worth a few percent less in two years because of inflation, as long as you know you'll still have the money for the payments.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Today I learned that the glass back of the 8 is too slippery to trust on the edge of a bathtub and I now have a scuff on the edge.

In a completely related note, the Ultra Violet Apple silicon case is one of the most purple things I've ever owned.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

iOS 11 on a 6s and battery life is baaaaaaaaaadddddd

rio
Mar 20, 2008

The 8/+ is really grippy in my hand but so slippery on surfaces. It seems like it is going to even slip off of flat surfaces if I look at it the wrong way.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

lelandjs posted:

In a completely related note, the Ultra Violet Apple silicon case is one of the most purple things I've ever owned.

I'm still pissed they got rid of the orange silicon case. I love the saddle brown leather case, but ti was nice to switch every once and awhile to something with color.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

rio posted:

The 8/+ is really grippy in my hand but so slippery on surfaces. It seems like it is going to even slip off of flat surfaces if I look at it the wrong way.

Mine still feels like it's gonna slip out of my hand compared to my SE but man the screen is so much nicer and it's insaney fast.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've used iOS devices since the original iPhone, how did I not know about the built in kid mode (Apple calls it guided mode) until today? I have a two year old, this is a total game changer.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
Got my iPhone 7 back after sending it in for a screen replacement and the paper that came with it detailing the work done also specified that the battery was replaced as well. Is that just standard procedure when doing a screen replacement or...?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

so those that went from iphone 7 to 8 what are your impressions?

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL

track day bro! posted:

Mine still feels like it's gonna slip out of my hand compared to my SE but man the screen is so much nicer and it's insaney fast.

You loving traitor.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

Got my iPhone 7 back after sending it in for a screen replacement and the paper that came with it detailing the work done also specified that the battery was replaced as well. Is that just standard procedure when doing a screen replacement or...?

I don't think so. I had my screen replaced for a crack and didn't see any mention of battery work. It's possible they detected swelling, especially if they didn't charge extra for the swap.

Kruxy
May 19, 2004

Just a steel town girl on
a Saturday night, looking
for the fight of her life

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

so those that went from iphone 7 to 8 what are your impressions?

Super grippy in my hand, super slippy on any other surface. But I'd like like to try it out for a while without a case. Also because the (new to me) size of the plus is pushing the limits of the proclip phone cradle I've been using since 2014. I don't think it'll fit in there with a case on it. Even a super slim saddle brown.

Haven't played with the camera yet.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

GoldfishStew posted:

You loving traitor.

Is that better or worse than a loving a sex doll?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

man I love wearing custom AVs as a badge of honor but I really don't know why that dude hasn't spent the $5 to change that one, yikes

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Tiny Lowtax posted:

iOS 11 on a 6s and battery life is baaaaaaaaaadddddd

Been fine for me all week, it's in your head.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Battery life always seems worse for a few days after an os update because you are messing with the phone more than usual. Also, AR apps use a ridiculous amount of power.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I've never had a white front faced phone 🤔 looking at friends' it seems distracting, especially with media?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I'm sad I'm too much of a big clumsy dumbass to go caseless for long. These phones feel so good naked.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem
Oh gently caress me. I do loving anesthesia for a living and I just realized new iPhone X won’t work with a surgical mask for Face ID garbage. I should just get the drat 8+.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Dunno, can IR go through the mask?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I've never had a white front faced phone 🤔 looking at friends' it seems distracting, especially with media?

Don't do it!

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

Bum the Sad posted:

Oh gently caress me. I do loving anesthesia for a living and I just realized new iPhone X won’t work with a surgical mask for Face ID garbage. I should just get the drat 8+.

I assume you will need to take a lot of pictures to set up Face ID. Maybe you could throw a mask on for a couple and it will work?

Also aren't you usually wearing gloves at the same time you wear a mask?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
[quote="“Bum the Sad”" post="“476691061”"]
[/quote]

Draw your face on the mask. :)

[Ed] also don't sweat it, not like you're getting that X for a few months... ;)

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
[quote="“Nostalgia4Dogges”" post="“476690935”"]
I’ve never had a white front faced phone 🤔 looking at friends’ it seems distracting, especially with media?
[/quote]

It's not that bad; media looks better with the black outline. However, it's much easier to spot that you left behind a white+black object than a completely black one. There are benefits to both.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

With a surgical mask? It might. During the reveal event, Craig said it would work if your face is obstructed or different, like you put on a scarf or hat or glasses or change your hair (including facial hair). No guarantee though, but if they say a scarf works, I hope a surgical mask would work too. I don't expect a balaclava to work.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
[quote="“Nostalgia4Dogges”" post="“476688511”"]
man I love wearing custom AVs as a badge of honor but I really don’t know why that dude hasn’t spent the $5 to change that one, yikes
[/quote]

There's no sex doll upgrade program so he keeps having to save up for the new models.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Bum the Sad posted:

It's also discriminatory against those who wear religious clothing that obscures their face.

Garbage.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Bum the Sad posted:

Don’t you also have to wear gloves?

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Pivo posted:

With a surgical mask? It might. During the reveal event, Craig said it would work if your face is obstructed or different, like you put on a scarf or hat or glasses or change your hair (including facial hair). No guarantee though, but if they say a scarf works, I hope a surgical mask would work too. I don't expect a balaclava to work.

Here’s Craig Federighi saying it won’t.
https://techcrunch.com/2017/09/15/interview-apples-craig-federighi-answers-some-burning-questions-about-face-id/

quote:

Face ID requires that it be able to see your eyes, nose and mouth. This means there are scenarios where it just won’t work.

“If you’re a surgeon or someone who wears a garment that covers your face, it’s not going to work,” says Federighi. “But if you’re wearing a helmet or scarf, it works quite well.”

This means that Face ID is not going to be a viable option for people who wear a mask for work or wear a niqab, for instance. They would need to use a passcode. Federighi notes that this limitation is similar to Touch ID, which simply didn’t work if you wore gloves or had wet fingers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

That's too bad.