Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Awesome! posted:

for some reason i cant ctrl-v in path of building anymore. works everywhere else on my computer.

anyway i found an almost perfect ngamahus last night and was thinking of doing a raider with it (did a slayer one in breach) but realized i am most likely never buying a xophs and getting up to avatar of fire from the ranger start is a bitch so i started to think scion. found this cool looking guide for champion/raider https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1960309

but then i also found this sick looking scion bf build https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1931981 and i am torn because my wander is already amazing for mapping and i really want a build to just delete bosses with. meatballing is super fun though. tough choice.

Pathfinder Ngamahu was a common build and AoF is only 3 pts from EO which you should get anyway. Also if you're going Scion I think you go Elementalist just for reflect immunity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

yeah that build doesnt take eo which was weird to me but his damage seems fine without it. i think they actually took rt. they mention that ele is the better choice for general mapping while raider is better for bossing

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

Ineptitude posted:

Yeah this vid is what got me interested in scorching ray. I guess i wanted a confirmation that it is good!

Any build Ziggy bothers to make a video for is going to be Good, just be wary of things with gear requirements since any build he (or other streamers) make will gain enough popularity to make specific uniques more expensive for a few weeks if not the whole league. Thankfully Scorching Ray doesn't require anything fancy and Rise of the Phoenix has little variability and is common, so you can get one super cheap.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

What is the threshold jewel thing people are talking about?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
If you're referring to this:

The tl;dr is that the Pitch Darkness (40 Dex -> 10% chance on ignition to leave burning ground, 10% chance on non-ignition to leave tar) gave Burning Arrow the Duration tag (since the tar/burning ground have a duration), which means that it could be supported by things like Less Duration and Swift Affliction now.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
Tags don't tell you what supports work with what skills

They never have, and they never will. There's no bug, just people mis-using tags.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down
Not sure how to price ele foils. What ballpark is this in?

Trade macro says 421 total dps.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Magus42 posted:

Tags don't tell you what supports work with what skills

They never have, and they never will. There's no bug, just people mis-using tags.

Seems like it would be a pretty good use for them, though. In a game that encourages seeking out things that synergize, shouldn't there be a way to know at a glance if something will have an intended effect? Fussing with gem arrangements and eyeballing it can be a real pain.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
A lesson on learning how to properly guage an item's worth:

A roll like this, on a wand, is worth quite a few exalts:

I bought this for 40c, it was listed exactly as is, minus the crit chance mastercraft I added. FOURTY CHAOS.

-----

Semi-related, I've been burning money crafting wands, 30ex worth of alts/augs/regals/annuls/scours, in an attempt to make a godly ele wand. Then, somehow, I accidently made both these things consecutively:

I threw the better one into PoB and knocked up a poison wander, with 3.5 million Shaper DPS :getin: Pastebin link: https://pastebin.com/r4MLASKz

I was going to use the ele wands, but holy poo poo poison is still OP.

nightwisher fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Sep 23, 2017

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

nightwisher posted:

A lesson on learning how to properly guage an item's worth:

A roll like this, on a wand, is worth quite a few exalts:

I bought this for 40c, it was listed exactly as is, minus the crit chance mastercraft I added. FOURTY CHAOS.

-----

Semi-related, I've been burning money crafting wands, 30ex worth of alts/augs/regals/annuls/scours, in an attempt to make a godly ele wand. Then, somehow, I accidently made both these things consecutively:

I threw the better one into PoB and knocked up a poison wander, with 3.5 million Shaper DPS :getin: Pastebin link: https://pastebin.com/r4MLASKz

I was going to use the ele wands, but holy poo poo poison is still OP.

not to be a dick or anything but as far as lessons go this is pretty bad. From the first image I have no idea which of the cold, the lightning, or the crit are important (probably 2 of the 3 but maybe all 3? does it have to be those elements?) For the second one is the lesson I'm meant to take away that I've been massively undervaluing increased projectile speed, or what? Then the 3rd and 4th wands have nothing in common with the first one.

What are you actually looking for when you evaluate wands?

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.

awesmoe posted:

not to be a dick or anything but as far as lessons go this is pretty bad. From the first image I have no idea which of the cold, the lightning, or the crit are important (probably 2 of the 3 but maybe all 3? does it have to be those elements?) For the second one is the lesson I'm meant to take away that I've been massively undervaluing increased projectile speed, or what? Then the 3rd and 4th wands have nothing in common with the first one.

Good ele damage rolls (at least 2), WED, attack speed, crit chance/multi

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

awesmoe posted:

The meta for attack wands is either tri or dual flat ele damage rolls + Any combination of attack speed, local crit chance, crit multi or ele damage with weapons. The actual odds of rolling high tier flat damage on wands is absolutely horrific - I rolled a LOT of wands using alts+aug+regal, just getting a t1 ele prefix is like 1 in 300-400 alts, auging a useful stat like crit chance or attack speed on top is even harder, and hitting a second high ele damage roll on the regal is absurdly hard. The first wand was rolled almost perfectly for an ele wand, just the combination of IAS + 2 T2 flat ele, with an open suffix, was worth a huge amount of money. The WED roll is just icing on the cake, but still adds significant value. The seller probably didn't understand the wander meta and failed to see the incredible set of rolls he had. The projectile speed is a valueless mod, in this particular meta, but the vast majority of ele wands are rolled via multimodding, so one suffix is usually lost anyways.

The second wand is just an example of a super-desirable regal roll, it can be multimodded and have flat cold and attack speed added to it, making it comparable to the one I bought. That wand cost me 10ex+ to create.

The last two wands are more just there because it's anomalous as all hell to roll an (almost) identical item literally one after another. However, they're also extremely nice phys wands that, while not meta, are actually incredibly powerful and may actually be stronger than ele wander, if built right.

In general, wands are extremely hard to roll right, because they have a huge pool of modifiers to choose from, both attack and spell, and a lot of these mods have massive tier ranges.

nightwisher fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Sep 24, 2017

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
Thanks, that is helpful. There are so many ways to play this game that it can be really hard for new players to value stuff that's outside of their build.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Has anyone been doing a bleed build this patch? I'm working on a bleed bow slayer and even accounting for 8 stacks of bleed, bleed DPS is basically garbage. If it wasn't for bleedsposions on Haemophilia I'd probably spec out already

10bux
Sep 10, 2008
Yeah crafting attack wands from scratch is still currency-suicide in my opinion. The bases are out there you just gotta find them. I will say, that after pushing my dps as high as possible, crit multi on wand is insanely important for any wander build right now. In fact, I think suffixes are way more important. It's just funny to me how quickly my high edps multimodded imbueds sold, even though they were all at least 7-8% total dps less then just T1 lightning dmg with multi, crit, attack speed.

Your wands are nice though, I used to love those chaos/physical wands before the nerf.

If you're still looking to craft a ele wand, im sitting on a perfect base.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

NofrikinfuN posted:

Seems like it would be a pretty good use for them, though.

Which is why people always assume they do, but they don't :)

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

StashAugustine posted:

Has anyone been doing a bleed build this patch? I'm working on a bleed bow slayer and even accounting for 8 stacks of bleed, bleed DPS is basically garbage. If it wasn't for bleedsposions on Haemophilia I'd probably spec out already

I was doing bleed/poison stacking but I hit a wall right around Atziri. I dropped poison and crimson dance and focused on increasing the physical output on blade flurry and have been seeing better results. I kept 100% bleed chance for the gladiator corpse explode, though.

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
New to PoE, I've got a 5 slot Queen of the Forest chest for the build I'm following. Will I dump more currency into trying to roll the right colors and links rather than saving up for one with the right stuff? In this case I want 3 red and 2 green on an all dex chest. I assume given it's a pure dex item the colors will skew a lot more toward green right?

I noticed there's a video series for beginner stuff but is there a decent text guide anywhere for beginners for the endgame?

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

StashAugustine posted:

I don't think bleed is worth it unless you invest into phys base damage. Its also really hard to gauge bleed because path of building does as little as possible to help you figure out bleed's full potential.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

That Gobbo posted:

I noticed there's a video series for beginner stuff but is there a decent text guide anywhere for beginners for the endgame?

By endgame do you mean maps in general, or guardian/shaper stuff?

Either way, I found most of the engineering eternity videos pretty useful when starting, and they're pretty well organized.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaFHfrY-6uGSAvmczp_7a6Q/playlists
Both beginner stuff, to guardian shaper info.

Just following some basic guides and taking some advice from this thread, went from maybe making ~300c over the course of an entire temp league to making at least that much every day or so, and I feel like I'm still pretty low on the overall efficiency scale.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

notlodar posted:

I don't think bleed is worth it unless you invest into phys base damage. Its also really hard to gauge bleed because path of building does as little as possible to help you figure out bleed's full potential.

What do you mean by that? I'm trying to make sure if I do spec out of bleed that PoB is more or less telling the truth about what's happening

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down
vaal orbs exist to troll me, I'm sure:

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

That Gobbo posted:

New to PoE, I've got a 5 slot Queen of the Forest chest for the build I'm following. Will I dump more currency into trying to roll the right colors and links rather than saving up for one with the right stuff? In this case I want 3 red and 2 green on an all dex chest. I assume given it's a pure dex item the colors will skew a lot more toward green right?

Let me tell you a story.

3 weeks ago, I bought a near-perfect stat, 6-linked QoTF for about 520c, but, like you, I needed 4 off-colors.

Vorici Calculator told me it would cost about 350 Chaos worth of Chromatics to get the colors I needed.

350 chaos later - nothing.

Another 300 chaos - nothing.

At this point, I gave up, and sold it - by this time, the price on QoTF had risen, so I made about a 100c profit from the original purchase.

I waited a bit, played another character, and now an on-color QoTF with the stats my old one had is going for 20 ex, or around 2000 chaos.

IMO, get one with 6L and good stats, and just keep playing the Vorici game. I think, in the long run, it's much cheaper.

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

StashAugustine posted:

What do you mean by that? I'm trying to make sure if I do spec out of bleed that PoB is more or less telling the truth about what's happening
PoB does bleed but not crimson dance or anything that does increased damage against bleeding targets. So you get the 50% less from crimson dance but it doesn't add the 7 additional instances for 8 bleed instances total also isn't added to total dps for.some reason.

From what I can tell, there's some coding issue with adding this weird poo poo. I do t know if The Retch's chaos damage from Leech is added to anything in PoB. You need to play with stuff to see what it actually changes. For example, it seems that the Haemophilia increased damage is not calculated.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

I picked this back up for the first time since closed beta a few weeks ago and getting back into things (I stopped around the time maps the new act were released).

I feel like this character still has a good bit of room to improve but I'm not sure what I'm looking for throwing stuff into PoB seems like very minor upgrades.

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/pixaal/characters?&characterName=Magnesium_J

My shield is low level, but anything that is an upgrade is under a 1% damage increase in PoB and 80c+ which is pretty expensive for how little I'd gain. I feel there has to be a mod or interaction I'm missing.

I've been checking pricing on pretty much every rare I got and been getting a good feel for what has value and what things are worth and when to just vendor stuff now with an occasional check just to be sure I'm not vending good stuff.

I'm very happy with him. I can clear T10 maps stupid quick. I really need more resists because the map mod that strips resists murders me (as does both reflects but that's kind of par I take it). I can very likely run higher maps just none of dropped for me yet. Bosses feel extremely unfun. Should I not worry about the big bosses and get a different build for that?

I feel really powerful going around a map but I'll sometimes suddenly pop, I think I might be running out of mana. The video I go the build from (in the OP but here's another link isn't running any life mana or hybrid flasks so I keep feeling like I'm doing something wrong.

I'm aware I still haven't done uber lab on this guy, probably should either attempt it or get a carry tomorrow, the labs this week have been so horrible and I have another character that can run lab in under 10 minutes and gently caress this slog. The pure sturdyness of a character with armor at 85% reduction might be giving me a false sense of how sturdy I should be.

Should I just feel out jewel slots? Get life, mana, both?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

notlodar posted:

PoB does bleed but not crimson dance or anything that does increased damage against bleeding targets. So you get the 50% less from crimson dance but it doesn't add the 7 additional instances for 8 bleed instances total also isn't added to total dps for.some reason.

From what I can tell, there's some coding issue with adding this weird poo poo. I do t know if The Retch's chaos damage from Leech is added to anything in PoB. You need to play with stuff to see what it actually changes. For example, it seems that the Haemophilia increased damage is not calculated.

Are you sure about Haemophilia? I checked 'enemy is bleeding' in the config tab and it's applying under calculaitons. I did know about crimson dance, figure that's an 8x multiplier on bleed.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

I've not tried it but every post I've seen about bleed (and ignite) is how it's been nerfed into the ground and is absolute dogshit now

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

DPS is still like 440k with 6k life and slayer leech, is that ballpark for shaper?

e: this does assume I get a +2proj hat and hooooooly poo poo those are expensive

Applebee123
Oct 9, 2007

That's 10$ for the spinefund.

Count Uvula posted:

I've got 1500 hours played on Steam and I still pick up wisdom scrolls :smug: The trick is to make their text huge with your loot filter and then you accidentally pick them up when trying to pick up more important stuff.

Yea, I see lots of people on streams using the default loot size on loot filters, they stop running and have to aim their mouse at a tiny box on random places on the screen like a first person shooter, you can reduce the aim needed by just making the box 50-150% bigger and its doesnt take up too much screen space so long as you have filtered out the vast majority of items.

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

StashAugustine posted:

Are you sure about Haemophilia? I checked 'enemy is bleeding' in the config tab and it's applying under calculaitons. I did know about crimson dance, figure that's an 8x multiplier on bleed.

Ah you're right, I didn't have those checked. That fixed my dps numbers besides the crimson dance stuff.

edit: it looks like The Wretch is not properly calculated either, this is on the PoB requests page, so maybe it will get fixed one day

notlodar fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Sep 24, 2017

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
I took a look at the wiki and all the enchantments and affixes look like they only require ilvl 75 but i've heard peopel mention ilvl 84 base items at some point but i forgot what the context was. How much does ilvl matter past 75?

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

I agree with Dante, that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.

whalestory posted:

I took a look at the wiki and all the enchantments and affixes look like they only require ilvl 75 but i've heard peopel mention ilvl 84 base items at some point but i forgot what the context was. How much does ilvl matter past 75?

ilvl 84 is what you need to be able to roll the highest tier of resists. It's generally not a good idea to craft on any non-unique items below ilvl 84.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
Ooo but if you're crafting stuff on like a wand then 75 is fine?

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

I agree with Dante, that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.

whalestory posted:

Ooo but if you're crafting stuff on like a wand then 75 is fine?

The highest tier of %spell damage and the highest tier of %fire/lightning/ice damage all require ilvl 84. You can buy an i84 wand for 1-2c, which is a pittance compared to the amount of currency you're going to light on fire before you get anything good.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I've got an inquisitor magma orb crit character going, and it's great fun. I want to invest in an enchanted Starkonja's for him; my question is, which enchant do I want? 40% increased damage, 12% increased area, or +2 chains? You'd think +2 chains, but I'm not sure that (even with Slower Projectiles) you'd get any more overlap over the number of chains I already have on anything but bosses the size of Kitava.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Ciaphas posted:

I've got an inquisitor magma orb crit character going, and it's great fun. I want to invest in an enchanted Starkonja's for him; my question is, which enchant do I want? 40% increased damage, 12% increased area, or +2 chains? You'd think +2 chains, but I'm not sure that (even with Slower Projectiles) you'd get any more overlap over the number of chains I already have on anything but bosses the size of Kitava.

Damage imo, you're crushing packs already so anything that increases single target is better

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Awesome! posted:

for some reason i cant ctrl-v in path of building anymore. works everywhere else on my computer.

The import UI in path of building is needlessly confusing. You can't paste a pastebin link into the import textbox, you need to click the import from pastebin button first. That pops up a dialog with a new textbox in it that you can paste pastebin links into.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

ive been using it for awhile and importing builds with no issues

i think i figured it out though. it doesnt seem to like when i copy any extra white space at the end which was happening with the text link i was trying to use. if i manually select just the text it works fine.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Got the last couple trials today and finished the Ascendancy, which netted me the challenge halo/crown thing. It feels like it would be a cool effect if it was wider and lower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do people usually outright buy 20/20 gems, and if so what do they do with the gems theyve been leveling?