Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Lol at Rescue Girl chewing out All Might for almost breaking Deku's back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Darke GBF posted:

Everytime he comes up in this thread or on reddit, someone always defends him. I wanna say he won the last character popularity poll, too.

Yup. Those poll results were revealed in chapter 120, and this season will cover up to chapter 69 (the manga's currently at chapter 153).

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Nice.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Bakugou improves as a person but it's a very, very slow burn. I don't get his insane amount of popularity, but honestly he's probably the best developed character in the series right next to Midoriya himself.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

For those curious, Season 1 covered chapters 1-21, Season 2 covered chapters 21(some overlap)-69, and Season 3 will almost undoubtedly cover chapters 70-95 or 97.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Fabricated posted:

Bakugou improves as a person but it's a very, very slow burn. I don't get his insane amount of popularity, but honestly he's probably the best developed character in the series right next to Midoriya himself.

That's somewhat comforting to hear, right now it doesn't seem like he's learned anything at or all or changed in any way and is unlikely to do so in the future. Whatever i guess, he's not harming the story in any way for me, i just don't care about him at all.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
It takes a while, but Bakugou does become a Better Person eventually. Give it an arc or three.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

a kitten posted:

That's somewhat comforting to hear, right now it doesn't seem like he's learned anything at or all or changed in any way and is unlikely to do so in the future. Whatever i guess, he's not harming the story in any way for me, i just don't care about him at all.
This is a series that very much values individuality and self-determination and respects lots of motivations for being a hero. Generally Bakugou's ideal that "heroes never lose" would be criticized in other shounen but here it's just mentioned as only being part of the big picture- in MHA "heroes never lose" is accepted because when heroes DO lose, people die. Not wanting to ever lose to the point you'll tear yourself to pieces to win is a pretty good ideal when you consider the consequences of loss, but there's more to the true heroic ideal than that.

Same as Midoriya's desire to be the part of All Might that saves people with a smile and puts them at ease- it takes power to do that, and attitude alone doesn't cut it. Throwing yourself into danger for others on instinct is part of that dichotomy required to be an extraordinary hero but it doesn't mean poo poo unless you have the strength to WIN.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Also for the anime-only crowd if Bakugou's popularity amoungst the manga crowd is mystifying it's because he's got a lot of fujo-power behind him and the supplemental material like SMASH fuels it.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Fabricated posted:

Well yea because he's the half Deku isn't of All Might. The Cocky Win-At-All-Costs because that's what a hero is half. Deku is the save everyone with a smile and make everything better because that's what a hero is half. You can see this dichotomy just from the videos they watched of All Might as kids. Bakugou had all the 1v5 fights on loop and Deku had the rescuing 100 people on loop. And they need to actually learn from each other to be 'whole' or the greatest hero because All Might is both of those things and having only one aspect just makes you flawed

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I like Bakugo if only for the fact that he's someone who has worked and trained to get this level and then loving Midoriya with his The Secret rear end comes along and upstages him and as far as Bakugo can tell, he did it by complete bullshit and it's realistic how much this pisses him off. Bakugo has been dreaming of something like this "fight" his whole life and now DEKU of all people wants to tell him how to go about it? He already has Todoroki and Yaoyorozu to compete with and that's well and fine, but baby Midoriya with his destructive power that from Bakugo's perspective defies all sense of how powers work in this world? man i'd hate him too. I don't agree with him, but there's a good reason why Bakugo is this way, but if you understand that and still don't like him well yeah that's perfectly fine

I've read to like Chapter 80 and im probably gonna leap on the manga by the end of this year cause gently caress man april 2018 is a long away and i'm ready to see this get really moving

Terper posted:

Yup. Those poll results were revealed in chapter 120, and this season will cover up to chapter 69 (the manga's currently at chapter 153).
nice

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Sep 23, 2017

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

LostRook posted:

True best girl has arrived.

Oh, and if you haven't read the manga, I recommend skipping the preview for next week.

Ugh, yeah, for once I wish I'd checked the thread before watching. hey audience yeah Midoriya and I meet up in a mall next week also here's my face reveal over the preview music like wtf

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Moltrey posted:

I like Bakugo if only for the fact that he's someone who has worked and trained to get this level and then loving Midoriya with his The Secret rear end comes along and upstages him and as far as Bakugo can tell, he did it by complete bullshit and it's realistic how much this pisses him off. Bakugo has been dreaming of something like this "fight" his whole life and now DEKU of all people wants to tell him how to go about it? He already has Todoroki and Yaoyorozu to compete with and that's well and fine, but baby Midoriya with his destructive power that from Bakugo's perspective defies all sense of how powers work in this world? man i'd hate him too. I don't agree with him, but there's a good reason why Bakugo is this way, but if you understand that and still don't like him well yeah that's perfectly fine

I've read to like Chapter 80 and im probably gonna leap on the manga by the end of this year cause gently caress man april 2018 is a long away and i'm ready to see this get really moving

nice

finish one piece

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

What stops me from completely liking Bakugo was in the scene in the first chapter where everyone in his class was bullying Izuku, Bakugo capped the entire lovely affair off by exploding and tossing away Izuku's notes that he worked so hard on and telling him to go kill himself.

I get that Bakugo's growing as a character, but he had one hell of a horrible introduction.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i eventually stopped hating bakugou but it seems kinda bullshit that it took like 100+ chapters to get there and that's all time that could've been truncated and then portioned out to other cast members who desperately deserve it.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Only like a dozen or so are actually about Deku and Bakugou's relationship, and less than that chapters that explicitly ONLY focus on their relationship. It's not 100 chapters of Bakugoing lovely NERD at the world around him.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Aurora posted:

finish one piece
gently caress, you right im sorry

amigolupus posted:

What stops me from completely liking Bakugo was in the scene in the first chapter where everyone in his class was bullying Izuku, Bakugo capped the entire lovely affair off by exploding and tossing away Izuku's notes that he worked so hard on and telling him to go kill himself.

I get that Bakugo's growing as a character, but he had one hell of a horrible introduction.
you're right this sucks, but its honestly better than like, what actual middle school bullies do

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Sep 23, 2017

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

can someone change this video so its about bakugo?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ikGvLUbOuU

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Telling people to die is just how Kacchan says hello and goodbye.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Terper posted:

Only like a dozen or so are actually about Deku and Bakugou's relationship, and less than that chapters that explicitly ONLY focus on their relationship. It's not 100 chapters of Bakugoing lovely NERD at the world around him.

bakugou manages to have almost two arcs focused around him without even being present, it really feels like he gets too much importance for how little progress is made.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

raocow posted:

I wonder how I'd feel if my kid got beaten up into unconsciousness by his teacher.

They gotta learn how to take a punch eventually. Or at least dodge.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Bakugou rules but I won't hate anyone for not agreeing right now. He's still pretty rough at this point of the series.

There is a turning point where he goes from "dickish rear end in a top hat" to "dickish rear end in a top hat....who's starting to get it." We haven't hit that point quite yet.

Deku looked pretty bad in this fight though.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
lol all might broke dekus back with his butt

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Can manga people stop telling us the results of future character arcs? It's really loving lovely.

Gruckles posted:

Telling people to die is just how Kacchan says hello and goodbye.

This is why Kacchan is the best by the way.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Fabricated posted:

yeah this sums up my feelings pretty well. I understand why people like him and I really like his arc and that Horikoshi is taking his time with it but I don't understand him crushing the popularity poll.

I like the change they made doing the battles consecutively so that we can see students react to the other fights as opposed to them all going simultaneously. I'm watching the dub so I've only seen the first fight and only Deku and Ochaco watched it, do many of the students watch Deku and Bakugo cos I really want to see their reactions.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I'd like to say that saying Bakugo wins character polls because of fujoshis is a lovely thing to say but all my friends love Bakugo and Todoroki a lot and they're all adult women so oops

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

At the point in the manga this episode covered I liked Bakugo fine but a lot of other people's views of him kinda soured how I saw the guy. I thought of him as entertaining but like a really lovely person and the general impression I got from a lot of other readers was that they considered him a bully with rough edges but deep down a sincere and good hero, but I didn't get that from him at all and I think it kinda made me appreciate him a little less.

I like him a lot more now though but until some later arcs I always found Bakugou easy to like and enjoy because he can be really entertaining, but kinda difficult to like as a character within the universe of MHA because he's just sorta awful and not a good person a lot of the time.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

To MHA's credit though he is very clearly viewed like that by the other student's too.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

EmmyOk posted:

To MHA's credit though he is very clearly viewed like that by the other student's too.

Except by my boy Kirishima who is just too good and pure.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
I sympathized with Bakugou quite a bit during the festival arc. People dealt him a lot of poo poo for basically just wanting to be met with a challenge and come out on top. He doesnt underestimate his opponents and he has a very firm grasp on combat strategy and quirk limitations. From the outside it looks like he's barely trying, but from his point of view everyone else is just kind of screwing around.

There's a moment right after his fight with Uraraka where he's contemplating how far he pushed his quirk to overcome her last attack, and his classmates are like "must be nice for everything to come so easy" (paraphrasing) and the thing they're missing is that it doesn't. He doesn't correct them on it because it's not something he feels he needs to do - it doesn't matter.

He's a lovely person for telling Deku to go kill himself, among other things, and doesn't embody the friendly do-gooder hero archetype, sure. But its evident there's more there, and sorta like Endeavor he's the kind of dude you're glad is on your side when it comes down to it.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I like bakugo because he keeps the classroom scenes from turning into superpowered K-On

conflict is entertaining

if you want moe heroes who all love each other and have fun working towards a brighter future might i recommend cheer fruits?

incidentally my favorite x-man is wolverine and my favorite turtle is raphael

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
My favorite turtle is the Galapagos. :3:

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I feel like there's a few steps between broody tryhard and "I will kill you"

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Well duh, Bakugou doesn't have raven powers:unsmith:

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

OnimaruXLR posted:

I like bakugo because he keeps the classroom scenes from turning into superpowered K-On

Well, now I want that. Thanks a lot, jerk.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

PMush Perfect posted:

My favorite turtle is the Galapagos. :3:

That's a tortoise, ya doofus!

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

gmq posted:

It's not exactly the same thing but seriously https://www.hidive.com/tv/action-heroine-cheer-fruits

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

gmq posted:

The manga already has two spin-offs, but I'm sure there's room for at least one more.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i know mio would turn invisible, but what quirk would yui have?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

dogsicle posted:

i know mio would turn invisible, but what quirk would yui have?

Being sticky, duh.

• Locked thread