Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Groovelord Neato posted:

how do you pull that poo poo after the posts you;ve made lol

?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

you claimed it was immortal, that information can only come from the book or miniseries. in the film it has not yet been revealed that it crashed into what would become derry millions of years ago.

GoingPostal
Jun 1, 2015

I love Derek Smart
U love Derek Smart
If we didn't love Derek Smart, we'd be lame
I think the backdrop to Pennywise's dance was a nod to that. There were volcanoes in the foreground, with movement that looked like they were erupting. And the rains of sparks might have been a nod to how It arrived.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

you claimed it was immortal, that information can only come from the book or miniseries. in the film it has not yet been revealed that it crashed into what would become derry millions of years ago.
Yall already had this interaction, and SMG said that the movie implies It has lived for hundreds of years. Otherwise what's the point of the historical stuff that Ben studies?

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such
Hundreds is not millions and they definitely didn't establish a space/macroverse origin in the movie. And like I said earlier, a creature that is only active 1 out of 27 years can stick around awhile if it has any kind of lifespan.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Martman posted:

Yall already had this interaction, and SMG said that the movie implies It has lived for hundreds of years. Otherwise what's the point of the historical stuff that Ben studies?

More importantly, IT survives getting stabbed in the head. Several times.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

IT should just go to a horse ranch. Its hella easy to scare a horse and theres more meat. And a horse prob wont hit you in the face with a bat.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

No; it's literally not part of the story at all.

It absolutely is you nutter.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Eifert Posting posted:

It absolutely is you nutter.

How so?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

It lets them escape a dozen times, mocks them instead of killing them, with Eddie while literally holding him like a baby.

It's not explicitly stated by the Monster, but I'm talking to the guy who thinks the movie is actually a metaphor for Serbia's gender relations because one of the character's shadows 20 minutes in vaguely looks like the footprint of Kosovo.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Eifert Posting posted:

It lets them escape a dozen times, mocks them instead of killing them, with Eddie while literally holding him like a baby.

Uhh that's not what hubris is.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Hubris Definition. Hubris is extreme pride and arrogance shown by a character that ultimately brings about his downfall. Hubris is a typical flaw in the personality of a character who enjoys a powerful position; as a result of which, he overestimates his capabilities to such an extent that he loses contact with reality ...

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Eifert Posting posted:

Hubris Definition. Hubris is extreme pride and arrogance shown by a character that ultimately brings about his downfall. Hubris is a typical flaw in the personality of a character who enjoys a powerful position; as a result of which, he overestimates his capabilities to such an extent that he loses contact with reality ...

That definition contradicts what you wrote.

Hubris is not letting your enemy escape.

Hubris is (for example) believing that your enemy's escape is impossible, so you don't bother establishing a backup plan.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

cool this thread got really insufferable

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

That definition contradicts what you wrote.

Hubris is not letting your enemy escape.

Hubris is (for example) believing that your enemy's escape is impossible, so you don't bother establishing a backup plan.

Or letting your prey escape because you believe they pose no real threat to you, and you can pick them off at your leisure.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Eifert Posting posted:

Pennywise is very...proud? I think you may be mistaking him with a biblical patriarch or something.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

The Berzerker posted:

Yeah, but I'm still gonna post how I think they're gonna gently caress up the second movie at some point.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Yeah, but I'm still gonna post how I think they're gonna gently caress up the second movie at some point.

For whatever reason, I think the adaptation will be even looser there.

Punch Drunk Drewsky
Jul 22, 2008

No one can stop the movies.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Pennywise is very...proud? I think you may be mistaking him with a biblical patriarch or something.

You could probably make a strong case that the miniseries take on Pennywise suffers a bit of hubris, but this one not so much. The movie Pennywise is more predatory in a "I hunger" sense, playing around with the kids reminds me a lot of that "inspirational" photo of two lions cuddling with and licking a deer (could be getting the number wrong here.) There's a degree of intelligence at play, but not so much that this Pennywise can go, "Curses, foiled again," or whatever.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

For whatever reason, I think the adaptation will be even looser there.

"Mike is a junkie who has been altering his mind with drugs to figure out how to defeat Pennywise." doesn't have me optimistic.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They called him a library junkie who takes LSD and Mushrooms.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Not a particularly far stretch from the "the kids go on a 'spirit vision quest'" bit, depending on execution I'd be down for it.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Not a particularly far stretch from the "the kids go on a 'spirit vision quest'" bit, depending on execution I'd be down for it.

Broken down into vague details, sure. But it was something that the kids did together. This time it's being hinted as a personal tragedy for one of the characters.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Tom Guycot posted:

Not sure, from what I read the studios weren't willing to give him the budget he felt he needed, at least at an R rating (I think he wanted 150m to do it). At least, I think that was what I heard about the latest "its canceled", considering its been in a starting and stopping development hell for ages.

Last I heard was he'd been trying his damnedest to get it made but the studios kept giving him the run around and once Prometheus came out and tanked, they started refusing it because they said it was too close to that. Del Toro got tired of the run around and moved on for the time being. I can cut them some slack on that since Lovecraft is one of the hardest if not the hardest to adapt to film. Out of everything Lovecraft I've seen, only good ones were Dagon, the Night Gallery episodes Cool Air and Pickman's Model, and that one put out by the Lovecraft society. However with how well IT"s doing, I can see the studios being open to reconsidering their decision.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
But Prometheus didn't tank.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Maxwell Lord posted:

But Prometheus didn't tank.

I was under the impression that in the studios eyes, it did poorly regardless of how much it actually brought in. If I'm wrong, I apologize.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Naw this Pennywise definitely suffers from pride.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Naw this Pennywise definitely suffers from pride.

So did the book version. There's a whole chapter from IT's perspective as it reflects in disbelief at being beaten by the childhood Losers, and how much IT was intending to make them pay for that gross insult. Penny wise/It is an apex predator that never felt threatened by anything, so it's utter shock at being one-upped definitely solidifies into some actual motivation on its part beyond just needing to feed in the second half. Despite being an extradimensional clowncrab, it definitely approaches the adult Losers with a personal vendetta.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

banned from Starbucks posted:

IT should just go to a horse ranch. Its hella easy to scare a horse and theres more meat. And a horse prob wont hit you in the face with a bat.

poor freckles, saw a baloon and died

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

poor freckles, saw clown ants and died

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Phylodox posted:

Or letting your prey escape because you believe they pose no real threat to you, and you can pick them off at your leisure.

Besides the bad assumption that IT wants to eat people (when IT only bites 1.5 people onscreen and is otherwise shown brainwashing dozens), you are still mixing up hubris with simple confidence.

Not every character who strives for a goal and fails is hubristic. Hubris is a specific thing.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPXd_3l9U28&t=128s

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Besides the bad assumption that IT wants to eat people (when IT only bites 1.5 people onscreen and is otherwise shown brainwashing dozens), you are still mixing up hubris with simple confidence.

Not every character who strives for a goal and fails is hubristic. Hubris is a specific thing.

He had too much simple confidence. If only there was a term for that. Oh well.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

MariusLecter posted:

Simplonfidence.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Eifert Posting posted:

I feel like you're mixing this version up with the more boastful ones from the book & miniseries. If anything this guy is more of a glutton, drooling over the "tasty, tasty fear" to the point where it clouds its judgement.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The Berzerker posted:

wonder why that is.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Crimpolioni posted:

I feel like you're mixing this version up with the more boastful ones from the book & miniseries. If anything this guy is more of a glutton, drooling over the "tasty, tasty fear" to the point where it clouds its judgement.

Yes. All the taunting and needling is the opposite of prideful, it's extremely petty. He's picking on pubescent kids. "Hubris" and pride imply self-righteousness. The problem with Pennywise is not that he overreached and if he had more modest goals as a molesting clown he wouldn't have gotten beaten by a bunch of kids. While the climatic confrontation resembles a Scooby-Doo denoument (Bill beats him by popping him like a balloon), children are not a higher power. A grubby predator cannot be hubristic toward his victims.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Sep 24, 2017

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Yes. All the taunting and needling is the opposite of prideful, it's extremely petty. He's picking on pubescent kids. "Hubris" and pride imply self-righteousness. The problem with Pennywise is not that he overreached and if he had more modest goals as a molesting clown he wouldn't have gotten beaten by a bunch of kids. While the climatic confrontation resembles a Scooby-Doo denoument (Bill beats him by popping him like a balloon), children are not a higher power. A grubby predator cannot be hubristic toward his victims.

...yeah he can? Petty bullies can be extremely prideful. I don't know where you're getting this.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

MariusLecter posted:

There are several terms for that, such as 'overconfidence'.

The moral of IT is not that Pennywise lacked the humility necessary for good leadership - that he totally could have had a successful child-theft circus if he hadn't overextended himself.

As if Pennywise serves as a warning and a lesson to future magical sewer demons: bite one kid at most, don't indulge in disrespectful taunting, you know - these are the steps to a thriving brainwash circus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Magic Hate Ball posted:

...yeah he can? Petty bullies can be extremely prideful. I don't know where you're getting this.

Because the connotation is wrong, the problem with a bully is not that they aren't prudent and don't listen to criticism, to elide cruelty by saying the issue is being headstrong is odd.

• Locked thread