Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

We will be getting info about the upcoming Switch game in October.

Trailer now at least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIIu_kcWXpA

Seems like a Nocturne call back, as well as an odd new design for Odin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

LostRook posted:

Trailer now at least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIIu_kcWXpA

Seems like a Nocturne call back, as well as an odd new design for Odin

It's only new-ish, that's the same design Odin had in SMT4 Apocalypse.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Why even spoiler tag that, geez.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Apocalypse Odin owns, one of my favorite designs in the series.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
That's just the trailer from the switch presentation from forever ago

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
If Odin turns out to be a big deal in SMTHD, I hope they get Wesker back to voice him again.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Pureauthor posted:

If Odin turns out to be a big deal in SMTHD, I hope they get Wesker back to voice him again.

Odin is so wonderfully colored by his portrayal in American Gods Ian McShane. Not that a game could probably drag him out but I'd love to see the series take some notes from that portrayal of gods.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
So what happened to Kaneko? Is he still at the flower field?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

So what happened to Kaneko? Is he still at the flower field?

Kaneko was last spotted in this 4gamer interview discussing an upcoming first person dungeon crawler set in modern day Tokyo where the player summons angels and demons into their party to fight for them. You know the one I'm talking about : The Lost Child, from the makers of El Shaddai

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3Q06-OaPy4

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
More info about SMT HD October 23rd

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Uh, I've had heard of a new game from the El Shaddai's creators but I had no idea it was pretty much SMT with the serial numbers filed off.

Is Kaneko no longer working at Atlus? Is he pulling an Igarashi?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Uh, I've had heard of a new game from the El Shaddai's creators but I had no idea it was pretty much SMT with the serial numbers filed off.

Is Kaneko no longer working at Atlus? Is he pulling an Igarashi?

As far as I can tell he still works for Atlus, that interview is just them bringing him in to discuss The Lost Child because the concept is so similar to SMT and they wanted him to be all like "It's similar but it has its own identity!" (which he does). And then they discuss different influences (They all agree that Demon City Shinjuku is a huge influence).

He doesn't seem to be working on The Lost Child in any capacity, he's not even doing guest illustrations for demons or anything.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

TurnipFritter posted:

As far as I can tell he still works for Atlus, that interview is just them bringing him in to discuss The Lost Child because the concept is so similar to SMT and they wanted him to be all like "It's similar but it has its own identity!" (which he does). And then they discuss different influences (They all agree that Demon City Shinjuku is a huge influence).

He doesn't seem to be working on The Lost Child in any capacity, he's not even doing guest illustrations for demons or anything.

I could've sworn the demons on the trailer were his designs.

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013

TurnipFritter posted:

What if I said you need to get good scrub :smug:
Then what if said "I just bumped the difficulty down to easy because by that point I was completely over the game and just wanted it to end.

I ended up bumping the difficulty down to normal, and I was able to beat YHVH! It says something that even though hard is generally more balanced, normal YHVH 2nd form is still pretty hard. Is NG+ worth it? I was enjoying the game a lot until the very end where I had to go through YHVH universe and grind to beat dlc bosses.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

TurnipFritter posted:

They didn't spoil Gore's death. You know, the thing that happens in the first hour or so of gameplay.

an inconvenient truth

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I'm afraid I didn't like P5 as much as some people here.P4G is still by far the best Persona for me.

On the bright side, I feel motivated to finally start up P3P gain. I bought it, played it for an hour, then forgot about it. Doing FeMC run of course. The differences are largely to do with S Links, right? No real plot divergences apart from I think Shinjiro can live this time? I mean, that's pretty major for me but I'm just not sure if there's anything else.

Different/brand new S Links is a big enough reason to re-experience P3, anyway. Maybe I'll like Junpei more since his S Link seemed to make others re-evaluate him.

Although, to get back to P5 for a second, I am curious to get the opinion of more informed SMT players than myself. Would it be wrong to say the Persona games line up with the typical alignments? I've only played Nocturne and Strange Journey but what I know is that Neutral is basically "gently caress the gods!/yay Humanity" That was the ultimate message of P3 and 4's stories in a way.Humans have all this potential and the gods themselves want to encourage us to tell them to gently caress off.

And in P5 You throw off sort of YHWH by getting sort of Lucifer Persona. Some people I talked to said the game is thus Pro-Chaos. But it feels Neutral to me because Chaos would mean cheering on Shido and the others as they do whatever they want. Although there was a difference in the Chaos of Lucifer vs. the Chaos of Mem Aleph in SJ so I dunno. I need to play more SMT games.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Sep 29, 2017

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

The game is pretty much all about protecting the weak from the abuse of power by the powerful, so no it most definitely is not chaos-aligned.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Saagonsa posted:

The game is pretty much all about protecting the weak from the abuse of power by the powerful, so no it most definitely is not chaos-aligned.

It is protecting the weak from corrupt authority.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Hunt11 posted:

It is protecting the weak from corrupt authority.

And that's Neutral's thing? Chaos kind of leaves out the protecting the weak part.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

chaos is survival of the fittest

anyway I think junpei reacts pretty differently to the femc throughout the whole game? I don't remember him being jealous of you as a girl

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

chaos is survival of the fittest

anyway I think junpei reacts pretty differently to the femc throughout the whole game? I don't remember him being jealous of you as a girl
Instead of jealous of you, he gets pissy because he's being bossed around by a girl. Then you have a talk to him after the first couple of missions and he admits he was just being a dick and apologizes and says if you ever wanna hang out just ask, and then you can do his s. link.

Basically, the actual plot or actions in P3P don't change much, but the characters do react a bit differently. Yukari's more open with you and you can do her S. Link right away, Akihiko's a bit more distant with you until you make an actual effort to talk to him, Junpei is what I just said, Fuuka's a little bit less of a mess around you. It's not drastic personality shifts or anything that actually changes the plot, but it's enough to feel a bit different.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

hostess with the Moltres posted:

I ended up bumping the difficulty down to normal, and I was able to beat YHVH! It says something that even though hard is generally more balanced, normal YHVH 2nd form is still pretty hard. Is NG+ worth it? I was enjoying the game a lot until the very end where I had to go through YHVH universe and grind to beat dlc bosses.

I recently did NG+ just to see the Anarchy ending. It is not worth it, the writing is super lazy and takes a nosedive. The concept of choosing one of your party members to make a new Goddess of Tokyo is cool but they don't really do anything with it. All the effort went to the Bonds ending.

The only good thing about the Anarchy ending is that the final boss is considerably harder. Flynn's team is him and a beefed up Satan instead of the whole Samurai quartet. it is fun but not remotely worth putting up with Tsukiji Konganji and the final dungeon for a 2nd time.

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013

GimmickMan posted:

I recently did NG+ just to see the Anarchy ending. It is not worth it, the writing is super lazy and takes a nosedive. The concept of choosing one of your party members to make a new Goddess of Tokyo is cool but they don't really do anything with it. All the effort went to the Bonds ending.

The only good thing about the Anarchy ending is that the final boss is considerably harder. Flynn's team is him and a beefed up Satan instead of the whole Samurai quartet. it is fun but not remotely worth putting up with Tsukiji Konganji and the final dungeon for a 2nd time.

I actually did the anarchy ending first :rip:

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:
I enjoyed killing all my friends.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/megaten_atlus/status/915396914555715584

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I was reading a post elsewhere about a guy whose first Atlus game was P5 and of course a lot of people were saying go back and play the older Personas or SMT. One person even said "try P2 but keep in mind it's a 20-year-old game." Now, 20 years ago covers several of the most iconic JRPGs of all time. The mid to late 90s produced several classics that people do still replay to this day. I think P2 just wasn't that good to begin with in terms of combat.

Now I'm playing SMT2 and am kind of frustrated because everyone in my team died on the way to stop King Frost and Basilisk auto Poisons everyone and I had no way to cure it. So I blew all my money reviving just my female companion and Angel. Jack Frost s and Hag still dead so that sucks. Point is, I can't really "objectively" say how good SMT2's gameplay is as of yet but I'm not a huge fan. Maybe it gets better once I have a better idea of what the hell I'm doing.

But in my experience people don't usually recommend going back and playing the old SMT games. If you want to good luck to you but nobody will be like "dude, you gotta play SMT2!"

All this rambling is building up to my question. Would people here say Nocturne is the oldest MegaTen game that actually holds up in terms of gameplay? (I personally am mainly playing SMTII for the story/lore)

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Oct 5, 2017

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
I love Nocturne, but if someone is coming from P4/5, they will feel the jank.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

I would say that any SMT game made before the PS2 era (with the exception of Persona 2, which is just kind of boring to play) is far too dated to play today unless you're already into old RPGs

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, almost any MegaTen/Persona/Whatever Spin-off Done before Nocturne is probs gonna make you feel not unlike after jogging for 3 miles after not doing exercise in a while.

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.
90s Megaten could really use full-on remakes. The stories are all interesting, but they've all aged so badly (except Jack Bros, which is only hindered by the fact that it's on the Virtual Boy).

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
SMT I and II with the SMTIV / Apocalypse engine would be amazing.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I feel like this is true for every old school RPG though. You really have to know what you're getting yourself into. I haven't played a MegaTen older than like, P3P I think. Are older ones really that "old school" compared to, say, the FF or DQ series?

Having said that, a remake of the SFC games would be cool. Also Nocturne being available on PSN for PS4 in Europe. :argh:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

irlZaphod posted:

I feel like this is true for every old school RPG though. You really have to know what you're getting yourself into. I haven't played a MegaTen older than like, P3P I think. Are older ones really that "old school" compared to, say, the FF or DQ series?

Having said that, a remake of the SFC games would be cool. Also Nocturne being available on PSN for PS4 in Europe. :argh:

I would like it to be on PS4 PSN in the US, too. Also I saw a thread on Reddit where a guy is apparently close to finishing translating the "Chronicles Edition" with Raidou instead of Dante and it might even be playable on actual consoles instead of emulators.

But anyway, people go back and replay SNES/PS1 FFs all the time. That's what I was getting at with my post where someone tried to excuse Persona 2 because "it's a 20-year-old game." That is not its problem. FFVII is a 20-year-old game and still has tons of people replaying and enjoying it. Innocent Sin's battle system was just never good to begin with even compared to other games of its time.

As for old SMT...ehhh. SMT2 feels archaic and there are things I'm used to in later games that make these games weird. (can't level up Demons?! That's insane) But I'm still more forgiving for this game than Persona 2.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I dunno, levelling up demons in SMT games sometimes feels a bit pointless, since you usually fuse them away anyway. It's not like levelling up your party in typical JRPGs. I get attached to my demons sometimes and feel bad when I have to fuse them. :ohdear:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

But as a caveat, no NES RPG is playable in 2017. Not a one. Not even Final Fantasy.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

irlZaphod posted:

I dunno, levelling up demons in SMT games sometimes feels a bit pointless, since you usually fuse them away anyway. It's not like levelling up your party in typical JRPGs. I get attached to my demons sometimes and feel bad when I have to fuse them. :ohdear:
The first time I finished SMTIV, I had a lv 85 Amaterasu in my final party even after she did the Demon Whisper (she learns her final spell at Level 82, if I don't misremember). Because I had gotten lucky through skill mutations and such for the fusions required by the demon components to fuse an Amaterasu, she had inherited 2 particular skills: High Fire Pleroma and Concentrate. She basically DESTROYED the final boss on her own, and this was a party with a Shiva and a Vishnu as active, plus Mara, Chi You, Tzitzimitl, and Metatron as backups. And if you're asking why I remember all of this is because all these versions of the demons are still in my Compendium, even after 4 years.

Ah, the memories of that carnage. :allears:

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

NikkolasKing posted:

So I'm afraid I didn't like P5 as much as some people here.P4G is still by far the best Persona for me.

I'm a little late to comment on this, but I did want to say that while I prefer 5 for thematic and stylistic reasons, I do think that 4 and Golden are more coherent both in narrative and taken as a whole.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
p5 sucks cause I cant gay it up

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Keeshhound posted:

I'm a little late to comment on this, but I did want to say that while I prefer 5 for thematic and stylistic reasons, I do think that 4 and Golden are more coherent both in narrative and taken as a whole.

That's certainly an interesting take. P5's plot is a big part of the game whereas P4 pretty much ignores its plot. Which, honestly, is probably why I prefer 4 to 5. It's also probably why 4 was more popular than 3. 4 was a game that embraced the Make Cool Anime Friends direction of new Persona. Sure there was a murder mystery but 90% of the game is just high school hijinx. It's about the characters and their wacky fun times and how much you love them and they love you and each other. The plot is...there but barely.

Persona 5 meanwhile never lets you forget about the plot. While the Investigation Team were high schoolers who dabbled in some magic mojo, the Phantom Thieves are magic warriors looking to reform society while wearing the masks of high schoolers. (irony) They never stop talking about reforming society or their targets or whatever. P5 has a lot to say about society and it never, ever stops. P4 had social commentary too but P5 is just built around social commentary and it really wore on me. Especially teh talk about "those rotten adults!""

Ever since I finished P5 I've been reading a lot of stuff to see what it was everyone else loved about the game. They tended to favor how active the Phantom Thieves were compared to the Investigation Team. P4 is criticized for our heroes making zero progress and instead focusing on the aforementioned wacky fun time. Some of it is maybe an exaggeration but it's also just a fundamental disagreement on what you want out of a Persona game. I personally was happy with P4G's plot but evidently others wanted more.

The payoff with the Killer vs. Shido is night and day, though. It was transparent from Day 1 the guy who hosed you over at the start would be the (Human) main villain. Meanwhile, finally identifying and confronting the Killer was really satisfying.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Oct 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

NikkolasKing posted:

The payoff with the Killer vs. Shido is night and day, though. It was transparent from Day 1 the guy who hosed you over at the start would be the (Human) main villain. Meanwhile, finally identifying and confronting the Killer was really satisfying.

I think this is probably a big part of why 5 felt shakier to me; the plot is pretty tightly paced right up to the point where you have your confrontation with Shido. Everything after that, while still pretty solid, does feel... I guess "rushed" is the closest I can come to describing it, but that's not really it, either. I think the narrative might have worked better if Shido was the ultimate confrontation (but then we also wouldn't have the devil shooting god in the face, so :shrug:)

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Oct 6, 2017