Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Proteus Jones posted:

Hahahahaha.

It's like you were constructed in a lab to feed this forum's funny bone.

"I am not mad; in fact, I am laughing right now." lmfao jesus wept

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

wicka posted:

"I am not mad; in fact, I am laughing right now." lmfao jesus wept

Just posting because I want to see how many pages of poo poo we can grow by refusing to let you have the last word.

Honestly it's like some political debates where a candidate refuses to stop responding to the response of their response until they've been guaranteed the final say. We're almost at the point where we can go, "hey man, rupture a blood vessel over the shipping thing again" and you do it.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Craptacular! posted:

Just posting because I want to see how many pages of poo poo we can grow by refusing to let you have the last word.

Honestly it's like some political debates where a candidate refuses to stop responding to the response of their response until they've been guaranteed the final say. We're almost at the point where we can go, "hey man, rupture a blood vessel over the shipping thing again" and you do it.

By all means, keep going. It is the funniest poo poo in the world watching 14 individual, independent adults all smugly melt down.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Yeah it has wrapped around from irritating to funny again.

Go go mad post man! Fight those corporations who have wronged you!

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

wicka posted:

By all means, keep going. It is the funniest poo poo in the world watching 14 individual, independent adults all smugly melt down.

I'm not melting down. That was literally my first post here since it started.

What's funny is you, because you have this innate need to respond to everyone who responds, even though there's more of us than there is of you. You have a very clear out, which is to just stop posting responses, but for some reason you can not. That's funny, and that's what this is about now. All the Apple-related stuff was just the trigger.

So you can either develop your Not Posting muscle, or we can have a couple days of bad posts before the mods get tired and the probations come out.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Craptacular! posted:

I'm not mad, you're mad.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

wicka posted:

I guess what I'm saying is this: don't get things shipped to your home from the Apple Store because they don't know how to deliver them. I think that's a fair warning for those who might expect the Apple Store to operate in the same way as literally every other store.

There's about 50 posts after this one I need to read but I just wanted to say this is patently wrong insofar as it is opposite. Sorry you expected your expensive gadget package to sit unsecured on your porch while you were in another country or whatever, but requiring signatures for expensive items is a GOOD thing. There's even a way to bypass this for those what care.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Feenix posted:

There's about 50 posts after this one I need to read but I just wanted to say this is patently wrong insofar as it is opposite. Sorry you expected your expensive gadget package to sit unsecured on your porch while you were in another country or whatever, but requiring signatures for expensive items is a GOOD thing. There's even a way to bypass this for those what care.

In those 50 posts, probably 45 of them are me pointing out that it's very easy to ask UPS to require a signature if you want that. Forcing me to choose that is ridiculous, as is their aforementioned bypass, which requires me to post a sign on my door advertising to the world that I am expecting a package.

I am not aware of a single other major retailer that forces you to sign for your packages.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
[quote="“wicka”" post="“476687295”"]
Agree? There’s nothing to disagree with, it literally does not help you at all. Y’all are just spite posting.
[/quote]

I can't believe how so invertedly turned around in reality you are. Holy poo poo.

Also: entertaining. Thanks!

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Feenix posted:

I can't believe how so invertedly turned around in reality you are. Holy poo poo.

Also: entertaining. Thanks!

How does it help you that Apple forces you to sign for packages?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
[quote="“wicka”" post="“476690624”"]
How does it help you that Apple forces you to sign for packages?
[/quote]

Let's see.. the first and most obvious is my loving fancy gadget does not potentially get stolen, bruh. How loving dense are you?

drat.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Feenix posted:

Let's see.. the first and most obvious is my loving fancy gadget does not potentially get stolen, bruh. How loving dense are you?

drat.

No, I didn't ask how it helps you to require a signature. I asked how it helps for Apple to force you to require a signature. If you are worried about your gadget getting stolen, you can request that UPS require a signature. How does it help you, specifically, when Apple takes this choice away from you?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Will it work fine on an LG 55UH76, 4K and all?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

wicka posted:

No, I didn't ask how it helps you to require a signature. I asked how it helps for Apple to force you to require a signature. If you are worried about your gadget getting stolen, you can request that UPS require a signature. How does it help you, specifically, when Apple takes this choice away from you?

You are off the raaaails here, man. Stretching hard to support any kind of relevance to your position.

It also helps Apple to force you so they don't have to deal with tons of fraud and loss.

So... your argument is kind of weak and also there's your answer. :)

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Feenix posted:

You are off the raaaails here, man. Stretching hard to support any kind of relevance to your position.

It also helps Apple to force you so they don't have to deal with tons of fraud and loss.

So... your argument is kind of weak and also there's your answer. :)

I'm not stretching anything, drat. I have changed absolutely nothing at all about my stance, you simply ignored it for so long in favor of being mad. It's a basic question that you keep sidestepping: how does it help ME for Apple to force me to require a signature?

Again, I have never in my life dealt with another retailer that does this. All of them are seem to do perfectly fine and don't deal with tons of fraud and loss. That is not a justification in the slightest.

My argument is not weak. The answer is that it DOESN'T help me, or you, which is something you refuse to say.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

wicka posted:

My argument is not weak. The answer is that it DOESN'T help me, or you, which is something you refuse to say.

I said how it helped me and then you were like "but nooo I said how does it help Apple?!"

Which I had an answer for, too, by the way.

Toodles!

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Feenix posted:

I said how it helped me and then you were like "but nooo I said how does it help Apple?!"

Which I had an answer for, too, by the way.

Toodles!

Incorrect, on both counts. I fully understand why someone might want their package to require a signature, that is not what I'm asking about. Nor am I asking why it helps Apple, because I understand that as well. I am asking you, very specifically, why it helps you for Apple to make that decision on your behalf, when you are fully capable of doing it yourself.

There is an important distinction here you are apparently not capable of understanding. Either that, or you are just terrible at reading, because your impression of what I've said is truly bizarre.

wicka fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Sep 23, 2017

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Ok. You have bested me!!

The day is yours, sir!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Feenix posted:

Ok. You have bested me!!

The day is yours, sir!

He absolutely has to have the last word. I've actually gone out done some shopping, walked the dog and come back to see he just won't stop going on and on about this. He has done nothing but stay and defend his position, because by god he will will not give in. This is despite the fact that this was easy to address if he had paid attention to the details of his order.

How do you kill that which has no life?

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Sep 23, 2017

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

wicka posted:

Incorrect, on both counts. I fully understand why someone might want their package to require a signature, that is not what I'm asking about. Nor am I asking why it helps Apple, because I understand that as well. I am asking you, very specifically, why it helps you for Apple to make that decision on your behalf, when you are fully capable of doing it yourself.

There is an important distinction here you are apparently not capable of understanding. Either that, or you are just terrible at reading, because your impression of what I've said is truly bizarre.

Apple owns the package until it's delivered. They want the signature.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Man it doesn't come with an hdmi cable? That's lame

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

I'm going to conduct an experiment here:

wicka posted:

and

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Calaveron posted:

Man it doesn't come with an hdmi cable? That's lame
A bit, but frankly if it was a choice I’d rather have the extra lightning cable for the house.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
[quote="“WithoutTheFezOn”" post="“476692733”"]
A bit, but frankly if it was a choice I’d rather have the extra lightning cable for the house.
[/quote]

HDMI cables are HDMI cables right? Or do I need to buy some sort of extra fancy gold plated one that gives me the warmest sound

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Calaveron posted:

HDMI cables are HDMI cables right? Or do I need to buy some sort of extra fancy gold plated one that gives me the warmest sound

https://www.cnet.com/news/4k-hdmi-cables-are-nonsense/

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

I have a question actually! I have read the OP and discussed the new Apple TV a bit with friends, but I don't know much about it. My husband and I have owned an Apple TV since 2015.

So this new Apple TV, if I have the 2015 version and do not have a 4k TV, is there any reason to buy a new one (obviously not the 4k version)? Can I just buy the new remote to work with my old Apple TV? Or would that not work? I am curious because ours often feels slow, especially when we are trying to type something, like in a search field. It would be nice if there was a non-4k upgrade available.

I'm basically a grandma when it comes to TVs, so thanks in advance for bearing with me, tech gurus.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
If your model has the silver remote with a click wheel it will be called “Apple TV (3rd gen)” and no the new remote won’t work with it (plus the new remote costs $79).

There is a non-4K upgrade available, it will be called AppleTV (4th gen) by retailers and just “AppleTV” by Apple.

It is snappier than the older models, and has a few more capabilities. Whether it’s a worthwhile upgrade? Probably, but it depends on you and what you want to do.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
[quote="“A Spider Covets”" post="“476693539”"]
I have a question actually! I have read the OP and discussed the new Apple TV a bit with friends, but I don’t know much about it. My husband and I have owned an Apple TV since 2015.

So this new Apple TV, if I have the 2015 version and do not have a 4k TV, is there any reason to buy a new one (obviously not the 4k version)? Can I just buy the new remote to work with my old Apple TV? Or would that not work? I am curious because ours often feels slow, especially when we are trying to type something, like in a search field. It would be nice if there was a non-4k upgrade available.

I’m basically a grandma when it comes to TVs, so thanks in advance for bearing with me, tech gurus.
[/quote]

[quote="“WithoutTheFezOn”" post="“476694161”"]
If your model has the silver remote with a click wheel it will be called “Apple TV (3rd gen)” and no the new remote won’t work with it (plus the new remote costs $79).

There is a non-4K upgrade available, it will be called AppleTV (4th gen) by retailers and just “AppleTV” by Apple.

It is snappier than the older models, and has a few more capabilities. Whether it’s a worthwhile upgrade? Probably, but it depends on you and what you want to do.
[/quote]

And typing will still feel slow.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Subjunctive posted:

Inspect Your Gadgets > AppleTV - Signature Edition

Seconding this as the new thread title.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I think Verizon forces signature but I wouldn't really know given I have a job where I can have things shipped to my office.

Maybe one day noted logistics expert wicka will enjoy the same luxury!!

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Awesome, thanks much! Sounds like it's worth our while. :)

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Grassy Knowles is right, though, typing is still a pain and not really smooth. On the other hand, you can search by voice.

There is an automatic prompt when you enter a typing field that lets you use your iphone/iPad keyboard for input, but I’ve never used it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

It works OK. I usually spell by voice rather than sign for my phone and pull it out.

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!

Subjunctive posted:

It works OK. I usually spell by voice rather than sign for my phone and pull it out.

:master:

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Grassy Knowles is right, though, typing is still a pain and not really smooth. On the other hand, you can search by voice.

There is an automatic prompt when you enter a typing field that lets you use your iphone/iPad keyboard for input, but I’ve never used it.

Hah yeah sorry I'm on my phone so I didn't type as much out, I saw that though. The other benefits outweigh the typing thing, it'd be nice if they fixed it, but it's not a huge gripe. The remote sounds like that'd take care of it anyway. :)

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
"ahh sweet the AppleTV thread has 65 new posts, must have been some exciting development or find with the new 4k..."

:yikes:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ah see I refreshed when there was only 45 new posts, and I knew exactly what it would be and it was glorious.

Hope the people who stayed home and signed for theirs are enjoying them, look forward to finding out their capabilities.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

EL BROMANCE posted:

Jesus loving christ, are you still raging about this?

Ahh I see you have met Wicka, be nice!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

What a weird hill to die on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began

EL BROMANCE posted:

Hope the people who stayed home and signed for theirs are enjoying them, look forward to finding out their capabilities.

:aaaaa: